Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is your favorite Hero?

Arkun-Sha! Bringing down the chieftan was so badass I almost forgot it was scripted.
- 6 (31.6%)
Alca-un. She's the most badass, of course!
- 5 (26.3%)
Ulla-Sha. Going on a century didn't stop her from whooping ass.
- 7 (36.8%)
Amma-ah, she's so caring and kind, how could you not like her?
- 1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54

Author Topic: The Starborn [Xenofiction?]  (Read 73500 times)

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
Re: The Starborn [Xenofiction]
« Reply #585 on: December 28, 2012, 06:38:28 pm »

We have about 30, right? they have ONE FREAKING BILLION JAGILLION BAZILLION BOOPITIPLAH PEEPS.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #586 on: December 28, 2012, 07:59:03 pm »

I think we have the numerical advantage, seeing as how we were here first.
We have, as a species, the 6(?) tribes plus the eastern tribes, if we can get everyone to work together. Those are the only members of our species on the planet. Say each tribe has 300 members. Each human city has at least 1000 members, with high tech equipment, and more people awaiting the all clear in their spaceship. If all else fails, they can simply toss their space junk on the planet and kill all of our species with a dozen kinetic strikes.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 28, 2012, 08:06:44 pm »

Well, the total population of Goblins on the planet right now is...

Two or Three Million.

The amount of humans on board the Massive Starship orbiting the planet is...

Not anywhere near a hundred thousand, Nevermind two or three million.

Now back around Sol we have several tens of billions. ~9-10bil on Earth, 40 million in Terra Luna, plus about 5 million H3 miners everywhere else on Luna. Another 40-50 million on Mars makes 11 billion, and that's after the Ganymede inceident which killed just over a billion.

They're going to cart over some more people after our friends here send a good word in but for now you have the practical numeric advantage.

I think we have the numerical advantage, seeing as how we were here first.
We have, as a species, the 6(?) tribes plus the eastern tribes, if we can get everyone to work together. Those are the only members of our species on the planet. Say each tribe has 300 members. Each human city has at least 1000 members, with high tech equipment, and more people awaiting the all clear in their spaceship. If all else fails, they can simply toss their space junk on the planet and kill all of our species with a dozen kinetic strikes.
Goblins are spread over the whole planet. Saying that it's you and the Eastern Tribes is like saying that the only natives in America were the Iroquois and the Cherokee. Of course, each tribe only has 500 members and you could hardly gather up any more manpower than your confederation and the Eastern tribes, so you may as well be the only goblins on the planet. :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 28, 2012, 08:23:43 pm »

So...maybe a couple thousand goblins, with stone-age tech and minimal, if any, ranged weapons against about a thousand futuristic humans...
Let's make peace!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 28, 2012, 08:28:26 pm »

So...maybe a couple thousand goblins, with stone-age tech and minimal, if any, ranged weapons against about a thousand futuristic humans...
Let's make peace!
+x

Spoiler: The Value of X (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #590 on: December 28, 2012, 08:45:09 pm »

*checks previous posts* Well, looks like my memory has failed me once again. I was certain for some reason that it was written that we are the only goblins on the planet. I guess I need an upgrade.

But with those numbers the world domination plan becomes feasible. Just earn their trust, learn "magic" (with our "intelligence" it shouldn't be a problem), form secret alliance with the tribes, steal weapons, kill aliens while they sleep, live in the city, expand, conquer other tribes and cities, conquer the world, prepare for space invaders.

EDIT: Oh, and the numbers I used were a guesstimate, I didn't get those anywhere.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:55:02 pm by Parisbre56 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 28, 2012, 08:49:31 pm »

Um, no.

A few million across the world--probably less than ONE million under any one banner, minus casualties from the inevitable wars--who barely understand and cannot replace their stolen technology, against larger people with a better understanding of the technology, at least a decade's development on them against a decade's wear and tear, excellent organization, air control, potentially superior numbers, and no reason to leave goblin villages standing...
Or, a few thousand with unfamiliar magic against untold numbers with powerful magic, IC.

Neither makes sense.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #592 on: December 28, 2012, 09:09:46 pm »

Well, four counter arguments:
a)The goblins are quite xenophobic and superstitious. The ones in the area, maybe even continent would band together to defeat the "sky devils".

b)Our system is a few light years away from earth so any invasion fleet would take at least 5(?)for message+10(?)for travel+[time to prepare invasion fleet]years to arrive.

c) These people were expected to survive here, so they must surely have some infrastructure/industry equipment either here or on their ship, so if we can learn how to operate and duplicate it, we can use it to maintain and expand our arsenal.

d)They could bomb us all to hell, or unleash flesh eating viruses but that would also make the planet useless for them, unless they're willing to wait a few thousand years.

I'm not saying it's easy or the right thing to do, I'm just saying it's possible.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:15:02 pm by Parisbre56 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 28, 2012, 09:40:08 pm »

Well, four counter arguments:
Well, four counter-counter arguments:

a)The goblins are quite xenophobic and superstitious. The ones in the area, maybe even continent would band together to defeat the "sky devils".
The goblins are quite xenophobic and superstitious. The ones in the area might not believe us, might think they were gods, or just hate us and not work with us on principle.

b)Our system is a few light years away from earth so any invasion fleet would take at least 5(?)for message+10(?)for travel+[time to prepare invasion fleet]years to arrive.
I'm guessing ~5 (time for them to notice a lack of messages)+prep+5(travel time) years. A decade gives them a decade to improve their tech and isn't nearly enough time to begin to understand their technology.

c) These people were expected to survive here, so they must surely have some infrastructure/industry equipment either here or on their ship, so if we can learn how to operate and duplicate it, we can use it to maintain and expand our arsenal.
If it's not damaged, if we understand it, if we're not too superstitious to be afraid of it, if it doesn't break down, if we don't break them while trying to understand how it works and failing because we have no idea how any of this works...

d)They could bomb us all to hell, or unleash flesh eating viruses but that would also make the planet useless for them, unless they're willing to wait a few thousand years.
They could, but bombing some villages doesn't ruin the rest of the planet; viruses that affect us wouldn't affect them; things grow back fast; and native flora probably isn't good for human biochemistry.

I'm not saying it's easy or the right thing to do, I'm just saying it's possible.
But it doesn't make sense, either IC or OOC! We could learn so much through peace, but if we attack all we'd learn is if there's an afterlife.
Sig

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 28, 2012, 09:52:18 pm »

Oh come on.  First of all, there is nothing we can learn from talking to our fellow Goblins.  Second, we aren't prisoners.  Or at least, we shouldn't be.  They have us cordoned off because they don't know how to communicate with us.

We need to find some, and talk to them somehow.  If they see we are not going to harm them, they won't hold us.

And once again, time is of the fucking essence.  That chieftain?  He is still alive.  He can go to the other tribes for help, and he could attack the aliens.  You know what would happen then?

We would become prisoners.  And, many Goblins and aliens would die.  We need to help these people defend themselves somehow, and try to avoid bloodshed.

Stop trying to attack them like mindless fucking animals.  We need to try the diplomatic option.  What the hell could we gain from killing them, anyway?  Abso-fucking-lutely nothing.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 28, 2012, 09:58:06 pm »

Remember.

I am always watching.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #596 on: December 28, 2012, 10:01:41 pm »

Yeah, I guess you're right. I didn't  even consider this seriously, I was just stating the possibility for amusement's sake (and to make a lame space invaders reference). I'm more of a peace and friendship for life kind of person. (or for as long as it takes me to wrap my arms around my friend's throat  :P)

Really, no need to worry about killings. Just discussing the possibility for science.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 28, 2012, 10:01:56 pm »

my picture is better
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Dear god that picture was huge

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 28, 2012, 10:06:05 pm »

my picture is better
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For me, there is no picture. :P
It works as a link.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 28, 2012, 10:06:05 pm »

It is?  It seems too small for me to see it.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54