Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 272

Author Topic: Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)  (Read 794710 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)
« Reply #3720 on: February 03, 2015, 10:23:54 am »

See here. Like people said shortly afterwards, kefka the entire fort. Again.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: February 03, 2015, 02:22:17 pm »

Hey, I meant to do it this time. And the last time was totally Yuli Vlasi's fault, plus whoever designed the front gate in a way that made it impossible to tell if it was open or closed.

CaptainMcClellan, you'll probably need a late-generation dual-core processor to run the fort. I was getting decent FPS giving it a core to itself on my Phenom II X2, but my understanding is that nobody else was able to coax worthwhile FPS out of the thing. If someone wants to resurrect from the save before mine and try to create an alternate ending I'm completely cool with it, I just figured I'd write an ending since I seemed to be about the only person who could make one happen.

Amusingly, DF is literally one of the reasons why I went with a late-model dual-core instead of a quad-core processor.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: February 04, 2015, 12:30:32 am »

Hey, I meant to do it this time. And the last time was totally Yuli Vlasi's fault, plus whoever designed the front gate in a way that made it impossible to tell if it was open or closed.

CaptainMcClellan, you'll probably need a late-generation dual-core processor to run the fort. I was getting decent FPS giving it a core to itself on my Phenom II X2, but my understanding is that nobody else was able to coax worthwhile FPS out of the thing. If someone wants to resurrect from the save before mine and try to create an alternate ending I'm completely cool with it, I just figured I'd write an ending since I seemed to be about the only person who could make one happen.

Amusingly, DF is literally one of the reasons why I went with a late-model dual-core instead of a quad-core processor.
Because of a higher clock rate? Also I'm reviving it from wherever the save I've been given is and am getting decent FPS on the school computers. And that's not even the Comp Sci computers which I haven't tried yet.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: February 04, 2015, 09:06:17 pm »

I'm not sure exactly when that same is from, but it is the most recently posted one. Keep up the good work!
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: February 04, 2015, 09:50:33 pm »

I'm not sure exactly when that same is from, but it is the most recently posted one. Keep up the good work!
Yes.

Year 249? I'll post again with the actual year when I open the save again

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: February 05, 2015, 08:57:55 pm »

Wait, did I, grammar-nazi and semi-OCD, just misspell something and take more than three looks to notice it? OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD. PANIC.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: February 06, 2015, 09:30:34 am »

Wait, did I, grammar-nazi and semi-OCD, just misspell something and take more than three looks to notice it? OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD. PANIC.
I'm not sure??

Also, the year is 247. I think that means that only four others have had a turn after my last one. It's amazing how much it fizzled out.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: February 06, 2015, 01:04:01 pm »

Because of a higher clock rate? Also I'm reviving it from wherever the save I've been given is and am getting decent FPS on the school computers. And that's not even the Comp Sci computers which I haven't tried yet.

DF is single-threaded, unless Toady managed to do some parallelization in the last few releases and I forgot about it.

A dual-core processor will outperform a quad-core in a case like that when the overall clock speed of the processor is similar, even though a slower quad-core will often outperform a faster dual-core on multithreaded applications. The reason being, the individual capabilities of each core will be higher for the dual-core versus the quad-core. A dual core is thus pretty ideal for running DF, because you do need the separate cores so that you can fully dedicate one to the DF process (you can't do this on a single-core because there are essential processes that need to be able to run in parallel with DF itself).

When I run Dwarf Fortress, I generally assign it to run only on one of my two processor cores, and instruct Windows to offer DF pretty much exclusive rights to that core (High priority generally). This means that everything else that needs to run that isn't the DF process gets the second core, and DF takes the first core.

It means that my computer is a bit underpowered for a lot of other applications, but it means that it's taken years for processors to catch up to the single-core performance of mine from 2010. (Although some poking at some benchmark sites does suggest that I've finally been overtaken by higher-end i5 and i7 quad-cores.)
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: February 06, 2015, 01:32:07 pm »

DF is single-threaded, unless Toady managed to do some parallelization in the last few releases and I forgot about it.

A dual-core processor will outperform a quad-core in a case like that when the overall clock speed of the processor is similar, even though a slower quad-core will often outperform a faster dual-core on multithreaded applications. The reason being, the individual capabilities of each core will be higher for the dual-core versus the quad-core. A dual core is thus pretty ideal for running DF, because you do need the separate cores so that you can fully dedicate one to the DF process (you can't do this on a single-core because there are essential processes that need to be able to run in parallel with DF itself).

When I run Dwarf Fortress, I generally assign it to run only on one of my two processor cores, and instruct Windows to offer DF pretty much exclusive rights to that core (High priority generally). This means that everything else that needs to run that isn't the DF process gets the second core, and DF takes the first core.

It means that my computer is a bit underpowered for a lot of other applications, but it means that it's taken years for processors to catch up to the single-core performance of mine from 2010. (Although some poking at some benchmark sites does suggest that I've finally been overtaken by higher-end i5 and i7 quad-cores.)
Right, that's pretty much what I thought you meant. Heh. My school's Comp Sci Lab has eight core processors! XD Sadly, they're all only like 1.2 GHz apiece. ( To note: It makes sense that they're built this way, they're designed for virtualization and testing programs in multiple environments.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: February 06, 2015, 10:15:41 pm »

Ohhh, that would explain why my freakin' awful craptop can run the game nearly as well as my cousin's gaming computer.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: February 07, 2015, 01:30:20 am »

Specs don't matter; Dwarf Fortress itself is the only entity that decides how well it runs.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: February 07, 2015, 09:35:42 am »

My craptop can't run my fortress but my regular laptop can. Specs help but they aren't everything.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: February 07, 2015, 10:20:18 am »

Specs don't matter; Dwarf Fortress itself is the only entity that decides how well it runs.
Oh, so it just likes me then?  -:P

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: February 07, 2015, 07:14:16 pm »

'Parently.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: February 07, 2015, 10:42:28 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 272