Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Dwarven ingenuity?

Keep on going downstraem
- 0 (0%)
Time for some heroic swimming?...no?
- 0 (0%)
Find a dead tree or other long object, work as a group to hoist it across. (With emphasis on actually finding said object...)
- 4 (44.4%)
Invent some absurd creation involving rope and stuff which slowly pulls tied up people across…
- 5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 90

Author Topic: Cloudsprite(the peasant dwarf II?) -interactive story-  (Read 178793 times)

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
Re: Cloudsprite(the peasant dwarf II?) -interactive story-
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2013, 07:07:00 pm »

So, brewster is busy, razor has drunk himself into submission and Onil, Okod, Merud and Lora have left. This leaves the shady character, Esmar and Norede. I don't think getting a job from the shady character will be any good. Maybe we should talk with Norede? Being friends with someone of military skill might come in handy.

If we decide to go to our room, we should check the prison on our way there.

Edit:
Did we gather the snot in our bag already?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:08:32 pm by AfellowDwarf »
My interactive forum thing: Adventures of Sir Major

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2013, 07:17:19 pm »

Heh... Thank you, I consider that a high compliment.  Fiction-based precognition (Plotcognition?) comes from years of consuming genre media, years of writing, and years as a dungeon master (which is sort of like writing) resulting in having an instinct for how a story goes together.  I'm pretty good at picking out twists and turns in most media by now, but not perfect, especially on details rather than broad strokes.

Also, it's sometimes harder to predict bad works than good ones.  A bad work might be formulaic, but also probably doesn't set up or foreshadow what twists it does have, leaving me without the tools of my divination.

~~~

Left in the brewstery, we've got Brewster himself, the depressed ex-military dwarfette Norede (Ex military?  Means to me she's not on board with the current ruling junta, or she'd be off duty military at worst), the feisty dwarfette Esmar (Assuming we can, as Brewster suggested, catch her on her good side, she's likely to be part of any underground activity if any of the patrons are), Razor (Asleep or nearly so, though) and... Pipe-smoking dwarf?  No mention was made of him having left the scene, but we don't have his name so he might not be tracked.

We've got 20 coins and no perceivable way to earn more... but the cheap drinks are only three coins (assuming Brewster will take the foreign money at that value), and we've got more prospects here than back at the room we claimed.  The fire we set, then fled, might have alerted the authorities to the fact that the room's been used more recently than our map was made, so going back there may get us caught.

I suggest we have another drink, and maybe buy one for each of the two remaining dwarfettes, which happen to be the remaining sociable, conscious patrons as well, before chatting with them. (If we do that, we'll be down 9 coins instead of 3, but possibly cheer up Norede a little and start out on Esmar's good side).  If Pipe-smoking Dwarf is still here, we might want to have our own pipe visible (say, on the table) while we chat with the remaining conscious patrons.  We may not have anything to smoke, but we can still send a signal.

Best case scenario, one or both of the Dwarfettes or a present Pipe-smoking Dwarf knows something about opposition to the junta and is willing to help us by giving us a place to hide/sleep and maybe some sort of working arrangement.  Worst-case scenario, Pipe-smoking Dwarf is gone because he was an informant for the Warden, and he's ratting us out.  In which case we ABSOLUTLEY want the remaining patrons on our side so one or more of them can stick up for us and, as a fortress resident, inform any guards that we're a friend/relative/other known entity.

As a side note, the earring we've got is worth at least 10☼ if it's no-quality junk, or up to 120☼ if it's secretly a masterpiece.  Probably safe to assume the former, but no matter the price, getting it converted to local money might be good, as our foreign copper coins would be a dead tell should we need to engage in economic activity somewhere less friendly than the Brewstery.  It also means that if Brewster doesn't care for the foreign copper, we have enough (indivisible, I might add) value to barter for three drinks.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2013, 08:39:12 pm »

By the way was I the only one who thought about Samurai X and Cowboy Beebop when seeing the canteen image?
What's a canteen? ???
A bar, a pub, the brewery... the dwarfette engineer reminded of me Edward (not the metro-homo-gay-sparkly vampire) from Cowboy Beebop:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
which in turn reminded me of the whole setting of space pubs, which got me thinking about the Hyperion's Canteen from Starcraft II, hence the use of the word canteen. :P

What's Samurai x? ???
It's an anime about samurais, the fisherdwarf for some reason (it was the pointy hat and the scar across one eye) reminded me of the imagery from that series.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:11:43 am by Kaos »

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2013, 08:46:27 pm »

Heh... Thank you, I consider that a high compliment.  Fiction-based precognition (Plotcognition?) comes from years of consuming genre media, years of writing, and years as a dungeon master (which is sort of like writing) resulting in having an instinct for how a story goes together.  I'm pretty good at picking out twists and turns in most media by now, but not perfect, especially on details rather than broad strokes.

Also, it's sometimes harder to predict bad works than good ones.  A bad work might be formulaic, but also probably doesn't set up or foreshadow what twists it does have, leaving me without the tools of my divination.
You should try your powers by watching Evangelion :D

I suggest we have another drink, and maybe buy one for each of the two remaining dwarfettes, which happen to be the remaining sociable, conscious patrons as well, before chatting with them.
So we buy the dwarfettes a drink in a bar, then we get arrested for soliciting!  :D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:53:30 pm by Kaos »

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2013, 06:48:43 am »

We may not have anything to smoke, but we can still send a signal.
We've got chestnuts and a chewed-on handkerchief. Add that bit of food that Norede wasted from the ground and we've got more then enough to smoke.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2013, 07:51:28 pm »

The voices seem to concur with me on the subject of getting a hold of some more drinks, more precisely buying a round for the remaining dwarves over at the table. Brewster breaks into a big grin as I make the order but while he is off filling up the mugs one of the voices worries about our currency's value. However the payment works just fine except for Brewster managing to drop all of the coins in overly dramatic fashion. 
I walk over to one of the vacant chairs at the table but as I sit down Esmar stands up and says-

- Ehy Snotbeard, nice to meet-cha but sadly we're leaving right 'bout now. (her voice was quite "raspy")
- Uhmm...hey...why are you leaving? (that wasn't very smooth...)
- Huh? Oh yea, that'd be 'cause I'm all outta coins heh. (seems like we're all poor 'round here...)
- Cmon let me buy you guys a couple of beers then. (either that or I'll have to hang out with the wierd guy at the back.)
- Can't say no if you're gonna be like that heh, right Nor? (phew...)
- Pfff if you say so. I'll get going soon though. (She leaned back and crossed her arms without looking my way)
*I take a chug from my beer and before I know it I'm starting to feel strangly relaxed, guess I've been sober for too long.
-Soooo Snotbeard have'nt seen you 'round 'ere before, new to the pub or the fort?
-Both I guess...
- Don't really recognize that many people 'round here heh, travel a lot you see.
-Liason?
-Nah, nothin' as boring as that heh, some call me a thief, others a mercenary but I like to call myself an adventurer.
-Sounds kinda dangerous...

The discussion went on for quite some time and I managed to salvage some interesting pieces of information.

The military seems to be split up into three major groups, the military commanded by the nobles, the garde and the peasant militia both commanded by the warden. However the wardens rule is overridden by the noble with the title of militia commander during the event of full scale war.

There seemed to be a split amongst the non-military dwarves aswell, Esmar simply explained it as three groups-the nobles, the guild members and the migrants. The rules applying to the different groups were worlds apart, the nobles were completly freed from any physical work and got payed through taxes while the migrants worked for no pay at all. For every kind of labor there was also a guild- a stoneworkers guild, a farmers guild,a woodworkers guild and so forth. However to join either a guild or the actual army one had to be accepted by the guildmaster, this was apparantly quite a challange and it wasn't rare that migrants tried to befriend or even marry guildmembers to get accepted.
Furthermore she explained that most of the people that ended up down at the Brewstery either- did not like the society, wasnt part of the society or had trouble fitting in generally. 

Esmer is just staying at the fort for a couple of weeks before she'll move on again. Norede has apparantly been discharged from the military but the cause is unclear. Noone really knows the guy at the back but he apparantly sells anything.

____

When you finished your drink Norede had already left, but then again she wasnt much of a conversionist anyway.
-Aight, now that there's no more drinks there's no more reason for me to stay heh. Thanks Snotbeard...what's your name btw?

Good question...amongst many other things it was lost as I fell into the pits of insanity...

Pick a name aswell as our next move.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2013, 09:41:57 pm »

Jim Jackson is my name
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2013, 12:46:45 am »

A few names come to mind.

Since I'm having so much fun getting names I decided to go and see what all our names would be if they were dwarven (specifically Lord of the Rings, sorry for editing).

Using the Lord of the Rings Name Generator and putting slowpokez in the name slot we get
Hoignar the Simple

Or if we put snotbeard in the name slot we get
Nerin, Lord of the Glittering Caves

Tevish svat, your name is  8) Vebur, King of Khazad-dûm

my name (xominxac) is Damli son of Migan... I like what my name is backwards (caxnimox) better, Rasur the Ruler.

AfellowDwarf's name is Gili Stonehelm

Kaos's name is Linar Fegnus's son

gman8181's name is Nigan Hoignar's son (Glumli the Ruler if Jim Jackson is used)

Did I forget any names?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:50:01 am by xominxac »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2013, 02:31:00 am »

Mine, for one :D But don't worry, it's already Sindarin. (/flees elf-burning mob)

As for this one's name, I vote Urist ...Smith. 8)
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2013, 02:37:10 am »

Mine, for one :D But don't worry, it's already Sindarin. (/flees elf-burning mob)

As for this one's name, I vote Urist ...Smith. 8)

According to http://www.myprecious.us/name_generator.php your name is this. Peregrin Jumpswell of Bywater  :P
(don't ask me why I chose to have your name Hobbitized.)

Obviously different websites will come up with different names and of course people could simply come up with a name themselves.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:39:06 am by xominxac »

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2013, 05:19:59 am »

Or if we put snotbeard in the name slot we get
Nerin, Lord of the Glittering Caves
I like that one.

Since the guy in the back sells anything, I say we trade with him first.  I'd say we get a weapon, but we clearly lack the funds. We need something that can earn us money. Now, if we were to buy a bag of sand, a piece of coal and manage to get those two to an empty part of the mines, we could make expensive glass crafts.(well, relatively expensive) Since we have multiple minds, our creativity should be staggering too.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 06:18:23 am by AfellowDwarf »

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2013, 07:48:47 am »

Well, got a poll up 'bout the name bit but we still gotta make some sort of decision considering our next move. Keep on ordering drinks? Go back and sleep? Talk to the pipe-dorf?

Also who the F voted for elves in the last poll!? Explain yourself immediately or prepare to be lynched! >:(

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2013, 08:04:33 am »

You should already have good trapper and passable herbalist skill from your time in the wilds. Buy an animal trap, it should be cheap and catching, taming and selling vermin should be a nice source of income. You could also extract valuable stuff from some of them, like venom and liquid fire. Add to that gathering any weed you see in the more run-down parts of the fortress, and you could produce your own food, and brew/sell the surplus.

Of course that will mean you'll have tame rats, spiders, small birds etc on your person all the time, trying to sell them  ;D And I take no responsibility for quarrels over plant ownership. :)
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2013, 08:36:36 am »

Of course that will mean you'll have tame rats, spiders, small birds etc on your person all the time, trying to sell them  ;D And I take no responsibility for quarrels over plant ownership. :)
That is more practival then carrying bags of sand, but I don't know if we can find a place to turn into a kennel.

Edit:
Would it be considered cheating if we spent all our money on turkeys and sold prepared meals and bone crafts?

Edit2:
As for long term plans:
Since a noble would disable the warden in a full-scale war, we need to do three things:

1- Take the noble's place(unless they want the warden out of the picture as well). This means killing them and managing to look like them. We may need to wear their face as a mask.

2- Cause a full scale war. Perhaps we could muliate the elf from the prison, make him watch and do atrocities to trees, and make sure he returns to the elven forest retreats safely?

3- Send all of the military away to do things and kill the warden while he's unprotected

Edit3:
Demons do not have any monetary value, right? We could buy one in a nethercap cage and use it for something. Maybe we could just buy a flimsier type of demon, the kind that explodes, and get it near the warden somehow. Unleash it when the warden has its attention, then run.

Edit4:
Since this guy sells everything, we could buy vampire blood and pollute the well. Sure, we'd need to sabbotage the other brewery and lock the brewstry(with us and people we want to live in it), but the results would be disasterous. AnotherEdit: We'd need to bring a bucket of water and grow plump helmets in the brewstry during the lockdown, if we want to survive. Maybe buy or kidnap poultry and create or buy a nestbox to give us variation in food? AnotherEdit2: Or buy a vial of poisonous forgotten beast blood instead. Way quicker. Or buy both and start an immortlity cult(we'd need clear labels. With pictures on them. Double check and double check again).

Edit5:
Regardless of what our name is going to be, tell her it doubles as an euphemism.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:06:08 pm by AfellowDwarf »

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2013, 07:14:27 pm »

@name: Urist Peasant (he's not a Smith) or whatever Peasant translates to in Dwarven.

@action: talk a bit more over another round of ale (there's less people now) and the drunker they get the more interesting stuff they might slip, then we check out the pipe-dwarf wares.

Also who the F voted for elves in the last poll!? Explain yourself immediately or prepare to be lynched! >:( 
I was wondering this too, maybe it was someone trying to stir up chaos in the thread?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 07:18:08 pm by Kaos »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 90