Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 255921 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #390 on: November 18, 2014, 09:11:21 am »

Spitters don't out-range laser turrets, in fact, the turrets always have at least a slight advantage.
But the spitters will almost always prefer to shoot at the turrets rather than the walls.
If you get a wave of Big spitters, and don't have a stocked roboport quite close, as well as a very dense layer of laser turrets, you can kiss the turrets goodbye, due to the big spitters almost always getting off at least one shot each, and that one shot doing over 1/3rd the damage to kill a laser turret. (I think, can't clearly remember, but it's a very significant amount in any case.)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 18, 2014, 06:43:27 pm »

So, i've just finished a game of this from start to finish, and I have a ton of different random things I feel like sharing with everyone.
Spoiler: On defense (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: On offense (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Production (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Construction (click to show/hide)
E: Of note, perhaps the single thing that annoys me the most is how enemies will always attack the same spots. If they varied it up a bit things would be far more interesting. Still not super great, since there is a bit of a lack of defenses, and the fact that you need to cover such a huge area makes it monotonous by necessity, but it would still be nice.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 06:53:46 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #392 on: November 18, 2014, 08:39:49 pm »

Could nitpick here and there on minor points, but overall some pretty good advice here.
I'm guessing this wasn't with any increase in difficulty (higher frequency or size)?

One point on the conveyors on defense: They're useful for either keeping the spitters at your laser turrets' far range, and keeping your turrets out of theirs. Or, they can be used early game to force the spitters closer, so that they're now in range of your gun turrets.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 28, 2014, 11:14:47 pm »

So a mate and I did some MP to try it out, seems to work remarkably well honestly, though I had (as host) bouts of random extreme FPS lag quite often, dunno why exactly, if it was just due to my shit upload or what.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

bersaelor

• Bay Watcher
  • DF-lover, also mathematician&programmer
    • View Profile
    • DF-based game about ants website
« Reply #394 on: November 29, 2014, 06:02:51 am »

Played this for a while, really neat concept. I always loved Industry Giant and being stranded on an island - games.

They are also a european team, so I really hope more people find them and it gets bigger :)
Support our project on kickstarter: http://kck.st/1EWK5UK
Or vote for us on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=343656291

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 29, 2014, 06:11:19 am »

they are to shy to get on steam, and keep postponing the date. the game is in near a very polished state, but I guess they also fear the onslaught of bug report and additional forum work

I have the same stutter as well. by their admission, they only tested the game on lan, and this multiplayer was 'for the very brave'

I got as far to logistic robots before having a serious issue, but the game was quite stable.

got the same occasional lag spike as well. my guess is that it is related to biters path finding during an attack, because it happened just when they started moving. they ruled out the possibility, but I hope will investigate the issue.

testing multiplayer games is quite hard :P

I have currently abandoned it because modem issues of my buddy, but if you are still playing and noticing the stutter and know what wire shark is, feel free to post a trace and I'll do the legwork of analyzing it.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 29, 2014, 10:49:43 am »

I have currently abandoned it because modem issues of my buddy, but if you are still playing and noticing the stutter and know what wire shark is, feel free to post a trace and I'll do the legwork of analyzing it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Good luck, that's quite a lot of wires to trace, but frankly I don't see how it helps with internets lag :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 29, 2014, 11:23:45 am »

*googled wireshark, was not disappointed

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 04, 2015, 06:11:43 am »

New alpha around the corner... Excited...

Just bought Factorio last month... It's pretty much everything I've ever wanted in a game...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 05, 2015, 03:23:46 am »

Pretty much. I only stopped because my multiplayer factory grow into logistic crashes around 11.3, but since last releases are finally about polish and not  crash bug I plan to resume real soon.

If you like the genre, there is now infinifactory. I prefer the factorio open format than challenges, but YMMV.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #400 on: February 05, 2015, 01:00:26 pm »

MP has gotten more stable with (almost) every patch.
If you're waiting for almost all of them to be fixed, then you'll be waiting until they officially move to working on the .12 release exclusively.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 07, 2015, 07:23:12 am »

Is there anything besides Minecraft mods that comes even remotely close to Factorio? I can't seem to find any similar games.

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 07, 2015, 07:27:41 am »

Maybe the Anno series, but that is more about extracting, refining and production (as well as very, very minimal management of populations) than it is about the opportunity to design a robust production chain in detail. Anno is especially hands-off in terms of transportation, since one a product reaches a warehouse, it is instantly available to any other warehouse on that island (though you'll need to ship it manually, or semi-manually, to other islands if its needed elsewhere).

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 07, 2015, 07:40:11 am »

Capitalism II has some factory stuff, but it's very abstract compared to this, you have factories which consist of 9 modules (3x3 units), and you wire them up with different types of units to process goods or handle supply chains (you can wire up warehouse factories to centralize distribution to other factories). Plus you have a few "sizes" of factory, but they still have 3x3 production units, the big ones just cost more to run and produce more per unit. They give you a set of default factory layouts which can produce any product, but they're deliberately not optimized, encouraging you to design ones yourself. Graphics are about the Simcity 2000 level. It's on sale on gog.com this weekend btw.

It's more about the supply chain from mines, farms and forests to consumer outlets than just designing factories though. There are rival companies, and you can do full vertical integration or buy and sell from other companies at any point in the supply chain. The game features a lot of products and types of shops you can build. There's a ton of complexity in the game to explore, though not as in depth on just factories as factoria. Although, it really needs Capitalism III which never happened, to take some of the ideas further.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:43:28 am by Reelya »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 07, 2015, 07:41:38 am »

Maybe the Anno series, but that is more about extracting, refining and production (as well as very, very minimal management of populations) than it is about the opportunity to design a robust production chain in detail. Anno is especially hands-off in terms of transportation, since one a product reaches a warehouse, it is instantly available to any other warehouse on that island (though you'll need to ship it manually, or semi-manually, to other islands if its needed elsewhere).

I don't like the Anno series... There's something about it that just feels off... I think it's the fact that gathering resources is so formulaic and boring.

I have Capitalism II - LAB but it's not scratching the same itch as Factorio... :(

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 76