Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 255926 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #465 on: May 13, 2015, 06:24:18 pm »

I'd say having everything researched is the endgame. A large part of your industry simply becomes redundant and all you can do is build extra defenses and expansions... if even that because with solar power and laser turrets you are completely self perpetuating and might as well leave the game.

Similar thing applies to sim city. Once you take up 100% of the map space all you can do at that point is relatively minor tweaks.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 13, 2015, 08:10:02 pm »

So are there any practical benefits to using solid fuel over coal? I have the opportunity currently to switch over my fuel source for at least a few things, but I'm not sure it's really practical for anything other than for emergency power (you can stuff a load of it in a crate) or for transporting on trains to somewhere far away.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 13, 2015, 09:06:35 pm »

Coal runs out, while oil (and therefore soild fuel) is infinite.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #468 on: May 13, 2015, 09:17:06 pm »

Infinite, albeit very slow to generate.
But there's also the need for coal for plastic generation, making the limited source of coal more significant.
With SF's energy density, it becomes more reasonable to fuel large steam farms if you've got the supply.
I find it most useful in fueling the trains, rather than just transporting it to distant bases (which are usually better served with local fuel sources anyway). A fully fueled engine would take several hours without refueling to burn through all three stacks of SF. With coal, you may have less than an hour depending on how long the route is. So that would equal greater dependability/less babysitting.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 14, 2015, 03:16:24 am »

It's the other way around for me. An endgame in a game like Factorio is something to actively avoid.

I don't mind it existing (assuming I can indeed avoid it), it's just something that will never come up for me in my games.

I think the majority of people who play these types of games would fall into this category.

Endgame != Game Over screen
It's more of a culminating achievement that defines completing the intended content.
"Here's your lasting achievement. You can stick around if you want, but you're already going to be remembered," basically.

Spoiler: Off Topic (click to show/hide)

I have an opinion about a game. Considering this thread is about the aforementioned game I only have one thing to say to you regarding your feelings about my opinions...

8) Deal with it.

Also no apology necessary... I'm not offended over your comments, they do amuse me however, so thank you :).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 03:21:45 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 14, 2015, 10:50:51 am »

Oil does run out! I've learned the hard way.

Speaking of endgame stuff, I think it's nice to have some clear goal that terminates the game. Otherwise, you play until you get bored, and that involves, well, getting bored. For a lot of people, researching everything and having self-sustaining power and defenses is the end of the game: There really isn't much more to do after that point, is there? It wouldn't be bad to let the player end the game there, if they want, and get a pat on the back for it (EG watching your rocket fly into space). It also means you can "beat" challenge scenarios, which gives more of a purpose to those.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 14, 2015, 11:25:25 am »

Oil never stops producing, it just slows down a lot. But if you use the occasional trickle intensively enough you could probably generate a little bit of useful fuel.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 14, 2015, 11:47:14 am »

unless you use my awesome endless resources mod!

endless resources! for when you want your resources be endless.

tired of rearranging all your mines when your resources end? endless resources!

the only mod that makes your resources endless

ahem

sorry couldn't resit I am watching public tv again

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 14, 2015, 01:19:14 pm »

ahem

Link, please?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #474 on: May 14, 2015, 01:21:08 pm »

Oil never stops producing, it just slows down a lot. But if you use the occasional trickle intensively enough you could probably generate a little bit of useful fuel.
And there's my biggest use of trains.
Shipping in barrels of oil, both from normal production level wells, as well as depleted wells.
If you've got one train servicing a whole bunch of outposts of depleted wells, you can still end up back at the base with a wagon full of barrels. I typically transition outposts from a dedicated train onto the trickle train about when most of the wells at a stop go under .5/s. The trickle-line usually has the maximum time between stations to decrease the fuel overhead. With the time at maximum, it's easy enough to decrease the wait times when your chain of stops gets too long to fully load the last stop.

10 depleted wells with speed module 1s (or even without most of the time) is easily enough to supply most any train line with fuel and anything over the fuel cost is extra oil for plastics.

ninjedit: http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3130

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #475 on: May 21, 2015, 10:28:18 am »

I decided to give this game a try again. I played it a while back and it wasn't quite at my interest threshold yet. It's looking very nice now though. I'm still doing most of my transport with various convoluted belts and lines. I've just researched some robotics stuff though. How useful are the logistics robots? Can you use them to run a base without transport belts?

ahem

I'd much prefer a mod that adds in some kind of 'deep core drill' or something which took more power to operate but provided a slow-but-infinite source of material. The catch would be that the output is randomized and you get coal, iron, copper and stone all coming out and you have to sort it.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 21, 2015, 10:39:02 am »

You'd need a ton of logistic bots to replace belts for bulk materials, but they are excellent for compensating for flaws in your belt network. If you need to bring high tier items together but didn't allow for that earlier on, logistics bits are an answer.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #477 on: May 21, 2015, 10:45:02 am »

You'd need a ton of logistic bots to replace belts for bulk materials, but they are excellent for compensating for flaws in your belt network. If you need to bring high tier items together but didn't allow for that earlier on, logistics bits are an answer.
Hm. So they're good for transporting low-volume goods to tricky spots but not a good replacement for bulk transport? Is there a better solution for bulk transport than belts? I mean belts are fine, they're just a pain in the ass sometimes.

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 21, 2015, 10:52:00 am »

Yes, trains.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #479 on: May 21, 2015, 10:53:44 am »

Yes, trains.
Fair enough. :P I haven't played with trains yet.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 76