Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 254848 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #720 on: April 26, 2016, 07:39:29 am »

One thing I'd like to see in this game is more cosmetic than anything: buildings. Like, freeform walls and a ceiling, maybe opaque until you actually walk into it. It could be to place machines and conveyors, or just a hut to live in.

There could be a mechanical reason to build them, maybe protection from elements or attacks, or a productivity boost.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 26, 2016, 11:28:33 am »

There are two things I really think need to be top priority for fixing.

1) Better combat. Running away from faster moving enemies while holding the space bar in their general direction? Not very entertaining. Give enemies wind-up animations for their attacks, make em a bit slower, give some charge attacks, maybe even give spitters some bullet patterns. Ooh! And boss-type enemies! Because why not?

2) Less punishment for failing to defend your base. I had to cheat, just hours away from completing the campaign, because enemies started overwhelming me. Spamming laser turrets and such, but then I ran out of power, and it was far too late for me to get more oil to my base. Enemy raids should have a 'morale' system. They lose morale as they destroy your stuff, or as they die, or over time. When they run out of morale, they retreat. When a building is destroyed, it leaves a wreck, and repair kits are all that's needed to bring it back to working order, as opposed to rebuilding it from scratch. This can be balanced by having more frequent (though maybe smaller) enemy attacks.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 26, 2016, 02:13:24 pm »

I think the real answer to both of those is diversified defense, with a side of automated offense. This is not intended to be a personal combat sort of game, as far as I know, so any action-shooter conventions would be out of place. Factorio's combat is primarily in the tower defense genre, and right now you have painfully few options to choose from, all boiling down to direct upgrades in damage and usefulness. I'd much prefer turrets to be a varied bunch, all having strengths and weaknesses. For instance, taking the available in-game weapons into account:
- Gun Turret: Basic, small-profile weapon equivalent to your starting pistol - requiring said pistol in its crafting recipe, available early on.
- Defense Turret: Equivalent to current 2x2 gun turret, requires an SMG in its crafting recipe.
- Laser Turret: Better range than the Defense Turret and takes no ammo, but uses lots of power and fires slower, giving faster biters time to get close.
- Flamethrower Turret (yes I know it's being made): Will easily kill biters, but is outranged by spitters.
- Cannon Turret: AP or explosive ammo, massive damage, can kill biters and spitters both before they get into range, but slow-firing.
- Rocket Turret: Can easily blow up entire swarms by the time they approach, but slow-firing and can't target things that get close.
- Tesla Coil: Basically an electric Flamethrower, suffers same range issues and uses no ammo and lots and lots of power to fry anything that gets close.
- Gauss Cannon Turret: Ultimate long-range defense, uses both power and ammo, fires guided AP shots with massive penetrating power and great range, but relatively slowly.

If you have such diversity, you will be able to gradually change the layout of your defenses to better handle the changing monsters that attack you, rather than relying on damage buffs.

And of course being able to automatically stage attacks on alien nests using drone cars and tanks would be very very useful as well.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 26, 2016, 02:32:19 pm »

Gun turrets with AP rounds are actually better at killing behemoths and large biters than lasers, if they are fully upgraded.

It costs more power, though (mining, smelting, assembly, roboports, etc)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 27, 2016, 09:39:20 am »

Gah. I haven't used Lightwave in forever. But I feel like trying to make a cannon turret sprite.

Not too terrible for just basic LW textures. :P

edit: Having an inordinate amount of trouble trying to create transparent GIFs for some reason. :/

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:17:14 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 27, 2016, 09:01:36 pm »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #726 on: April 28, 2016, 03:10:48 am »

Gah. I haven't used Lightwave in forever. But I feel like trying to make a cannon turret sprite.

edit: Having an inordinate amount of trouble trying to create transparent GIFs for some reason. :/

I don't think you can actually make transparent gifs, can you?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 28, 2016, 05:26:02 am »

You can do it easier if you don't have any smooth edges, at least.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 28, 2016, 07:06:07 am »

*mentions apngs*
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 28, 2016, 09:45:47 am »

Well, sure, but how many browsers even support those right now?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 28, 2016, 10:01:41 am »

Basically all of the relevant ones.
IE is always behind and Edge doesn't count as relevant imo.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 29, 2016, 12:52:39 am »

Aww, Edge is definitely relevant. Like it or not, it is the default browser of the latest version of Windows. It's relevant.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 29, 2016, 01:38:17 am »

Aww, Edge is definitely relevant. Like it or not, it is the default browser of the latest version of Windows. It's relevant.

IE was the default browser of the latest versions of windows for over a decade. It wasn't relevant for a good portion of that. I have yet to meet a person who voluntarily uses IE/Edge.

Edge is not relevant.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 29, 2016, 01:51:03 am »

Okay, not going to get into an argument any further than this, but since I really can't resist one more post...
Let me rephrase what I said: you can like Edge or dislike it.
But it's the default browser of a major OS.

Edge is relevant.
Not that relevant or as relevant as the other 'main' browsers, sure, but it's relevant to some degree.
I voluntarily use Edge. By far the fastest+lightest browser I've used.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #734 on: April 29, 2016, 04:09:15 am »

Edge is surprisingly not terrible
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 76