Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 255952 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #915 on: December 29, 2017, 05:43:28 pm »

3->2 takes too much space. I much prefer 1->1, with the wire assembler being an AM3 (AM2 before AM3 is researched) and the circuit assembler being an AM2. If you plan to boost everything with modules this probably isn't a great idea, but for no-modules factories this provides a nice square design that expands well.

I haven't unlocked AM3s in this save yet, so this is the cheaper, but slower, all-blue version.

Code: (Blueprint) [Select]
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

Edit: A better version that has one more pole, but is 1 tile narrower.
Edit2: Fixed goof in blueprint.
Code: (Blueprint) [Select]
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
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:58:30 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #916 on: December 29, 2017, 06:10:28 pm »

Other than spamming the map with blueprints for mining and assembling them, my only tip is that you can just destroy steel chests full of circuits, instead of fiddling with the cars. (with force fire, F, iirc.)
An extremely long span of inserters into steel chests can take a surprisingly long time to fill, enough time that you could make the rounds destroying and rebuilding the chests eventually.

Of course, if you're planning on actually using the mountains of circuits, this is obviously sub-optimal :P

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: December 29, 2017, 06:38:23 pm »

Hmm...

I could use that 1>1 setup, though I'd use both AM3. To make it fully efficient all I'd have to do is put in enough modules to boost each copper wire factory to at least 150% production, which isn't hard. I have more than enough modules too. It'd save a lot of space for me to spam a million more of them so I can get 10m green circuits per hour or something. Even then I'd still have to wait two hours for it to complete lol...

But if I did that then I have to figure out a way to somehow compress that copper line. Right now even with 6 trains worth of ore I can't even compress it properly. Oh well, gives me something to do. The map is already being completely saturated with train lines.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-------------

n9103: Nah, not really planning on using them. I don't have the chops or desire to make such an obscene red circuit into blue circuit factory. It'd be ridiculously huge and the amount of oil I'd need would make my head explode.

I'd need 518 steel chests to hold the remaining amount of chips. Each steel chest can hold 11,600 chips. Pretty doable now that I think about it.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: December 29, 2017, 06:42:55 pm »

I suppose a few production modules in the circuit assemblers would probably drop their speed enough to maintain balance too (maybe not, I would need to check the numbers).

Either way, this won't work with max modules, but anything less than that should be fine.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: December 29, 2017, 06:55:18 pm »

So I've started a map where I want to use trains for a lot of stuff, but I've run into an awkward situation. So, I was planning on making it so that I have a train parked at a sort of centralized area and then departs when a station becomes active (when there's enough to fill a train). Then the train goes back to the parking spot then goes to a station that will accept a full train load once it's turned on. The problem is that the train won't wait for the next station in its schedule to activate and instead skip over it so it will go to an unloading station when it's empty or will go from one parking spot to the next in a loop. I suppose I could wire up a circuit connection all the way to all the stations and the parking area but I was hoping to avoid doing that. Is there a way to solve this in vanilla?

StopGamer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: December 29, 2017, 07:10:49 pm »

If you are able to play DF than I can recommend Bob+Angels mod in Factorio. It adds a lot of complexity and depth. In general Factorio is f*cking awesome game

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: December 29, 2017, 07:13:45 pm »

I mean, I'm not very good at Factorio, but I have heard a lot about how Bob's and Angel's are, but nobody has mentioned what those mods actually do.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: December 29, 2017, 07:20:35 pm »

So I've started a map where I want to use trains for a lot of stuff, but I've run into an awkward situation. So, I was planning on making it so that I have a train parked at a sort of centralized area and then departs when a station becomes active (when there's enough to fill a train). Then the train goes back to the parking spot then goes to a station that will accept a full train load once it's turned on. The problem is that the train won't wait for the next station in its schedule to activate and instead skip over it so it will go to an unloading station when it's empty or will go from one parking spot to the next in a loop. I suppose I could wire up a circuit connection all the way to all the stations and the parking area but I was hoping to avoid doing that. Is there a way to solve this in vanilla?
You need circuits for that. If you want a stop to autocall a train when its ready, the only way to do this is via circuits.

You can have individual circuit networks at each stop which can turn the stop off or on. If a train has no stop to go to, it just chills at an active station until there is one. In this case you could have the train depot be the only permanently active station and have each station be automatically activated once enough chests are filled to load a train. It's a lot easier than connecting everything.

------

Bob's and Angel's just make the game more complicated. Doesn't really add anything but make the game longer. You still make the same things in the end, e.g: red chips, blue chips, etc. But the amount of shit each thing needs is quintupled with a billion more things. It's good if you want REALLY REALLY complicated factories and you find the current game too easy.

It's not good if you want more enemies to fight or more features to play with, since you're going to be going through the same motions, just multiplied by several factors.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: December 29, 2017, 07:28:47 pm »

You need circuits for that. If you want a stop to autocall a train when its ready, the only way to do this is via circuits.

You can have individual circuit networks at each stop which can turn the stop off or on. If a train has no stop to go to, it just chills at an active station until there is one. In this case you could have the train depot be the only permanently active station and have each station be automatically activated once enough chests are filled to load a train. It's a lot easier than connecting everything.
This is how I already have it set up. I have all the chests leading to a wagon outputting to a decider combinator that outputs a signal once it has enough to load that wagon, and all of the signals combine to activate the train stop only when there's enough signals to indicate that each wagon can be filled (so it doesn't load all but one wagon and wait forever to fill said wagon). The problem is that the train will just go between the parking lot and, say, the unloading station (which is sending a signal that it has room to receive stuff) because instead of waiting until the loading station is ready before leaving it just skips over it in the schedule. I also think one of the problems is I have the parking lot in the schedule twice...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: December 29, 2017, 07:37:24 pm »

This is how I already have it set up. I have all the chests leading to a wagon outputting to a decider combinator that outputs a signal once it has enough to load that wagon, and all of the signals combine to activate the train stop only when there's enough signals to indicate that each wagon can be filled (so it doesn't load all but one wagon and wait forever to fill said wagon). The problem is that the train will just go between the parking lot and, say, the unloading station (which is sending a signal that it has room to receive stuff) because instead of waiting until the loading station is ready before leaving it just skips over it in the schedule. I also think one of the problems is I have the parking lot in the schedule twice...
I too suspect you screwed up the scheduling.

--------

Edit:

So apparently even 320 furnaces and trains worth of copper and iron can't feed 80 green chip factories working at full tilt.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: December 29, 2017, 08:02:17 pm »

It sounds to me like the waiting area is redundant. Simply let the empty train wait at the last used unloading bay.

If you have multiple trains this will eventually clog up, but why in the world would you ever use a system like this with multiple trains for a given set of stops?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: December 29, 2017, 08:12:04 pm »

I made a quick thing to try to demonstrate: image. "load" is the rightmost station, "unload" is the middle, and "park" is the one on the left. The train will endlessly loop between 'park' and 'unload'.

It sounds to me like the waiting area is redundant. Simply let the empty train wait at the last used unloading bay.

If you have multiple trains this will eventually clog up, but why in the world would you ever use a system like this with multiple trains for a given set of stops?
I don't know, I'm new to this. It seems like if you just let the trains wait at the loading/unloading area it would also cause some kind of traffic jam eventually unless you have a bunch of stackers.

How do people usually set up their trains? I've seen pictures of their fancy rail junctions but nothing about how they set up their stops or schedules.

EDIT: What do they do to fuel their trains? Have fuel available at every train stop?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:22:04 pm by Ozyton »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: December 29, 2017, 08:28:31 pm »

I just use timers and rail signals. Fueled with rocket fuel (was coal before).

It's really simple and it works. I also don't make loops but rather have locomotives on each end. So instead of loops they're just a bunch of straight lines.

This is my most recent one and is the thing feeding my giant green circuit factory:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's 6 trains using this. Even with 320 furnaces I can't use the ores fast enough. This single train stop outputs more copper and iron than my entire rocket-capable base uses by like 2 or 3 times. Though honestly I learned fairly quickly that 4 carriages per train is stupid and a waste of time. I recommend 2 or 1 carriage.

I think it's also better to have like... smelter outposts for trains to bring ores to. So instead of a giant smelter array where you bring all your ores to, instead you have say... 4 different smaller smelter outposts. Then have trains bring the metal from that to your factories. Blue belts move things too slow and don't carry enough so the less belts you rely on the better it seems.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: December 29, 2017, 09:07:26 pm »

I don't know, I'm new to this. It seems like if you just let the trains wait at the loading/unloading area it would also cause some kind of traffic jam eventually unless you have a bunch of stackers.

Now, to me it sounds like you want to make a system where a train waits for a load. Once one is available it goes an load, then takes it to a empty destination. You do not want trains waiting at either loading or unloading stations.

The problem with this is, as you have discovered, the train will loop between the waiting bay and any other open station on its schedule. The solution is simple. Instead of a parking bay, just build one unloading bay per train. Trains will wait until fully unloaded at "their" bay, then look for a full loading station to fill up at. Generally you want at least one unloading bay or stacker slot for each train that unloads at a given station. If you do not have enough waiting space you risk blocking your main lines and/or deadlock.

If you have trouble providing enough loads and trains need to wait for a load, stackers will hurt more than they help. In this case you simply have too many trains and should either let trains wait at each loading station or use less trains.

For truely useful help with lots of details start here and keep reading other things in that subforum. Also, try some multi-player games. Plenty of guys there will be happy to show you how to do trains in great detail.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:10:25 pm by milo christiansen »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: December 29, 2017, 09:22:19 pm »

Thanks I'll give that thread a look. I've been wary of trying multiplayer with anyone but my friends because I don't want to be a hassle to anyone >__>

E: Just joined a server for a second (seemed to have a ton of people in it, more than I was expecting) and yoinked the save file for scrutiny.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:36:44 pm by Ozyton »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 76