Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 663

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 494072 times)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor Norton's Imperial Politics Megathread
« Reply #6420 on: April 07, 2014, 11:27:47 am »

Huh. FiveThirtyEight finally relaunched a couple weeks ago and I completely missed it. Time to go see if it's up to the old standards.

Also, I forgot to actually comment on this one:
This is kind of America.  And interesting.

Mexican Vigilantes
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-26918961

I hadn't heard a thing about such vigilantes before. But, iirc, didn't one of the now-biggest drug cartels start out as a "self defence group"/vigilantes as well?
The vigilantes are problematic, but it seems like they've been doing more good than bad on the whole. They'll need to go eventually, but the gov't had better be really sure of its hold before it disbands 'em.

[Also, one of Emperor Norton's titles was 'Protector of Mexico'. So such discussions should be fine here =P ]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:08:16 pm by smirk »
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6421 on: April 07, 2014, 11:30:02 am »

The problem is, you have to defend yourself against the cartels or they'll kill you. But to defend yourself you need weapons, logistics, and the ability to counter-bribe the people the cartels are bribing. So you need money. A lot of money. And to get that much money....you start selling drugs. Eventually, you have to start acting ruthlessly if you want to make a real dent in the cartels. The cycle continues.
Haven't the Mormons and Autodefensas got around that by just killing/removing people who were under cartel payrolls?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: April 07, 2014, 11:38:47 am »

Huh. FiveThirtyEight finally relaunched a couple weeks ago and I completely missed it. Time to go we if it's up to the old standards.
I've thought it has been. It's great to have FiveThirtyEight be not on NYT, the bastards.
Haven't the Mormons and Autodefensas got around that by just killing/removing people who were under cartel payrolls?
If so, it might explain the disturbing spiral of all public officials being murdered. Either you don't take cartel payoffs and die, or you do take cartel payoffs and die.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: April 07, 2014, 01:21:06 pm »

Huh. FiveThirtyEight finally relaunched a couple weeks ago and I completely missed it. Time to go we if it's up to the old standards.
I've thought it has been. It's great to have FiveThirtyEight be not on NYT, the bastards.

So....they're going to be doing advanced stats analysis on sports *and* politics?

Nate, you magnificent bastard.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: April 07, 2014, 01:22:27 pm »

So....they're going to be doing advanced stats analysis witchery on sports *and* politics?

FTFY
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6425 on: April 07, 2014, 02:50:06 pm »

So....they're going to be doing advanced stats analysis on sports *and* politics?

Remove the word advanced and put scare quotes around the word analysis.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6426 on: April 07, 2014, 05:29:42 pm »

If so, it might explain the disturbing spiral of all public officials being murdered. Either you don't take cartel payoffs and die, or you do take cartel payoffs and die.
Yeah, it's hard not to mention "death" when a sentence includes "Mexico" and "cartels."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: April 07, 2014, 05:34:02 pm »

Remove the word advanced and put scare quotes around the word analysis.
You sound skeptical of Lord Silvermort's powers.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: April 07, 2014, 09:11:09 pm »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: April 07, 2014, 09:17:24 pm »

I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: April 07, 2014, 09:25:18 pm »

Even if you don't ignore obvious troll answers (such as every single answer in North America), the clustering isn't really that bad, viewed in a geopolitical context. The vast majority of answers are either in very close proximity to the Ukraine, in Western Russia (these are likely the older respondents who remember that giant blob as the Soviet Union, and remembering that the Ukraine was along the western edge), or just across the southern border instead of the western one. In other words, the vast majority believe that the crisis is happening in the central region of Europe. This is correct, even if many were off in the strict technical sense. It's not really that different from Europeans who think all of the US is California or Texas.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: April 07, 2014, 10:17:56 pm »

Then again: Greenland.

The ones in the steppes are also a little weird, what's up with Kazakhstan? I GUESS it kind of vaguely looks like Ukraine, and if all you'd seen recently were isolated maps of Ukraine, the big country that looks sort of how you remember that funny lookin' country being will pop out more than the similar one bundled up with a whole lot of other countries. Still a little strange though!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: April 07, 2014, 10:22:24 pm »

The ones in the steppes are also a little weird, what's up with Kazakhstan? I GUESS it kind of vaguely looks like Ukraine, and if all you'd seen recently were isolated maps of Ukraine, the big country that looks sort of how you remember that funny lookin' country being will pop out more than the similar one bundled up with a whole lot of other countries. Still a little strange though!
Heh, at least Kazakhstan does have a sizable Russian minority.  I suppose that's a step up on some of the other guesses in Asia.  I mean, Pakistan and Nepal?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: April 07, 2014, 10:37:20 pm »

Heh, at least Kazakhstan does have a sizable Russian minority.  I suppose that's a step up on some of the other guesses in Asia.  I mean, Pakistan and Nepal?
Australia!
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: April 07, 2014, 10:59:49 pm »

Ukraine is in Kansas morons, get your facts straight.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 663