Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 513906 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Look. Defections. What A Surprise. [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #2295 on: September 22, 2013, 03:45:13 pm »

I'm sure lots of them are, but that's the power of brainwashing. I have yet to read it myself, but I know that the author of Escape From Camp 14 talks about how even most of the people in North Korea's death camps believe the state rhetoric and will report dissenters to guards.
He said the the propaganda in the camps was less than outside. People reported each other because of fear and rewards like sex with other inmates (how his parents met).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: September 23, 2013, 09:29:40 pm »

Thanks for the article and translation, Guardian.

I'm sure lots of them are, but that's the power of brainwashing. I have yet to read it myself, but I know that the author of Escape From Camp 14 talks about how even most of the people in North Korea's death camps believe the state rhetoric and will report dissenters to guards.
He said the the propaganda in the camps was less than outside. People reported each other because of fear and rewards like sex with other inmates (how his parents met).
Well that's an interesting story.

"So how did you two meet?"
"Well you see, I'd just snitched on someone, and what do you know I get paired up with the cutest little stoolie as a reward!"
"I remember I was so desperate to see him again, I actually started making things up so I could rat people out over them. Teehee!"
"..."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: September 23, 2013, 10:19:45 pm »

"So how did you two meet?"
"Well you see, I'd just snitched on someone, and what do you know I get paired up with the cutest little stoolie as a reward!"
"I remember I was so desperate to see him again, I actually started making things up so I could rat people out over them. Teehee!"
"..."
A match made in Heaven. Well not really. Actually fairly close to the opposite. But at least they're happy.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: September 24, 2013, 03:06:29 am »

From what I understand he could have gained favour by other means, but snitching was mentioned specifically as something that worked. The guy barely knew his father.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: September 24, 2013, 02:41:57 pm »

China bans some weapons exports to NK. Sounds like China really is getting fed up with North Korea pushing the boundaries so much.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: September 24, 2013, 02:46:04 pm »

They've been fed up for a long time now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: September 24, 2013, 03:40:42 pm »

Sending someone aid and having them steal the trains it was delivered on will do that, I imagine.

I do wonder why/how fed up they are with the actual weapon stuff, though.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: September 24, 2013, 03:47:39 pm »

Sending someone aid and having them steal the trains it was delivered on will do that, I imagine.

I do wonder why/how fed up they are with the actual weapon stuff, though.

I doubt they actually care about that too much, but it's an issue that the UN & the West have been focused on for a long time. Adding their support to that area makes them look good and gives them more pull in other areas.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If Great Leader III Cannot Ski, Something Something Western Imperialism.
« Reply #2304 on: October 07, 2013, 06:04:58 pm »

Haha wut

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: October 07, 2013, 06:07:47 pm »

This is serious business.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: October 07, 2013, 06:11:57 pm »

I wonder if the Imperialistic And Unjust West could get some actual concessions from something like that. Probably not, as once he's got them there's no reason to hold up his end of the bargain, and most Western powers are more concerned with detoothing NK than any of the stuff he might actually be willing to compromise on to make his people's lives better.

More likely they'll just try to have China launder some for him or something, though China's got some bones to pick as well at the moment.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: October 07, 2013, 09:11:38 pm »

Honestly, if they can make missiles and huge hotels, I'm surprised they can't make at least a ski lift. Jerry rig something together. Seriously.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: October 07, 2013, 09:58:11 pm »

Machinery is one of those difficult things though. You need a few things to build it.

1. Proper metallurgy, which comes from years of empirically tested materials translated into engineering handbooks.
2. A large amount of engineers who can apply known methods to the problem at hand
3. The facilities in which you can build solid pieces of machinery
4. A knowledgeable worker base that can use the tools to build that machinery
5. A long list of every conceivable thing that the Machinery can take and its limits, start up procedures and the like.
6. All the electronics that would run it.

I doubt North Korea has enough of 2,3,4 or 6.

I remember my dad talking to me about a planned conveyor belt that they had to put onto a side of a hill carrying ore from a mine. The amount of engineering hurdles they had to go through to get something as simple as that working was crazy. This was after they had bought all the machinery from a Swiss company that specialized in building ski lifts and stuff.

I'm fairly sure that's why the Koreans are angry about it. It could take them years until they have workable pieces and for the dear leader that just won't do.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: October 08, 2013, 07:47:13 am »

Don't they get money from importing nuclear waste? Or is that only negligible money?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 341