Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515028 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Could we get a poll - for/against MAD?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

How can you be against MAD? It logically follow from the existence of nuclear weapons and lack of efficient anti-nuke system. It's not good or bad, it just is.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i want to play a military design game based in the cold war right now but they're lots and lots of effort for gms to do and it'll turn into a bureaucratic shitfest within hours of its creation i bet

can i just grab a bunch of gms from different games and mash them into a council which will produce turns then run the turns through a bunch of guardian gis (get yourself cloned m8) so it's GLORIOUS enough and then publish the stuff? no? knew it.

still that's the kind of stuff i want to do now. man i'd bring a lot of fun ideas to the soviet r&d which would have me laughed out of the ussr within a month

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

I know Sheb, I just don't even get it. They just hear the theory and don't think about it beyond "Nukes are bad". And it just is, like the balance of power in world politics.

It's basically the reason we haven't all died in nuclear fire; how could any reasonable person be against it? It's counter-intuitive, but it makes logical sense, and it makes peace damnit. It's actually the reason why ABM systems are more destructive to peace then actual nukes.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How can you be against MAD? It logically follow from the existence of nuclear weapons and lack of efficient anti-nuke system. It's not good or bad, it just is.

Despite my earlier musings even I know that if I was in the Soviets' position I would probably arm myself to the teeth.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Nah, it follows from proliferation, not the invention.  Reading up on some of the American post-war debates on a first strike between Fat Man and RDS-1 is a little disturbing, really, and probably one of the biggest arguments I can think of in favour of MAD.  The biggest caveat I have is that, while MAD is peace after a fashion, it's an unstable equilibrium that fundamentally relies on the rationality of the actors and the ability to ensure that destruction - that is, you have to have something to target.  In a post-War era where the greatest threat comes from non-state, diffuse organizations rather than formal governments, it's in danger of becoming inadequate, which is perhaps a disturbing notion. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 05:35:20 pm by Culise »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Slowpoke, I was thinking about sortof doing something like that (where there where three linked games, a command one, a government one and a design one) but I chickened out. That said, i am IN.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

The biggest defense against a nuke is to be everywhere, without too many resources in one place.

MAD is obsolete the second the nukes stop firing, and that either happens when the warring countries die or they take the world down with them.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

The biggest defense against a nuke is to be everywhere, without too many resources in one place.

MAD is obsolete the second the nukes stop firing, and that either happens when the warring countries die or they take the world down with them.
That doesn't really have to do with anything. That is basically the same thing as balance of power in world politics, except with nuclear fire. We certainly haven't had any world wars since nukes were invented, thus so far it seems more stable, no?

Yeah Culise, I've read the post 1945 "pre-emptive war" arguments, and it envisions a world quite unthinkable. In a world where nukes have no taboo, and where only one country has them, all balance of power arguments end. From a foreign-policy perspective, nukes are a perfect dream: no fuss, no soldiers lost, costs insignificant to that of maintaining a real army, no opposition except from pacifists; basically a war solver in a single-use. Inhumane, perhaps, but a real war isn't much better. Imagine if nukes could be used for any purpose, to solve any problem from USSR to Korea: North Vietnam would have yielded in a day, and if it hadn't, you could simply wipe them off the face of the earth; Napalm could kiss Nixon's ass. The US would have unparalleled dominance, over every country in every continent. Any serious war with the US would be outright suicide; better to simply surrender immediately and pray for safety.

Sure, it wouldn't be a cure-all, but in the early 40s the Taliban were nothing but dreams in a distant future, Al Queda unheard of (and possibly never to form, since the US would have simply nuked the USSR away, so no training for militants). Tsuchigimo, I have heard (but not totally confirmed, though I have run some numbers) that the US had, at least at one point, enough nuclear weapons to kill all people on earth: clearly dispersion is no obstacle. In a solely selfish rational POV, the US should have nuked Russia with all the (admittedly few) nukes they had at the time.

This discussion reminds me of a certain someone.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:45:18 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

In 1966 the US had 32,193 nuclear warheads/bombs in stockpile. From there one the amount dropped significantly, IIRC, because nuclear bombs were phased out for stronger nuclear warheads.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I'm not so sure about it being beneificial to the US: nuclear fallout and winter would have been bad. Plus, if your goal is to actually control a country, nuking it doesn't help.

Anyway, I guess having large power with nukes is a good thing. Japan should probably get some.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

That doesn't really have to do with anything. That is basically the same thing as balance of power in world politics, except with nuclear fire. We certainly haven't had any world wars since nukes were invented, thus so far it seems more stable, no?

Yeah Culise, I've read the post 1945 "pre-emptive war" arguments, and it envisions a world quite unthinkable. In a world where nukes have no taboo, and where only one country has them, all balance of power arguments end. From a foreign-policy perspective, nukes are a perfect dream: no fuss, no soldiers lost, costs insignificant to that of maintaining a real army, no opposition except from pacifists; basically a war solver in a single-use. Inhumane, perhaps, but a real war isn't much better. Imagine if nukes could be used for any purpose, to solve any problem from USSR to Korea: North Vietnam would have yielded in a day, and if it hadn't, you could simply wipe them off the face of the earth; Napalm could kiss Nixon's ass. The US would have unparalleled dominance, over every country in every continent. Any serious war with the US would be outright suicide; better to simply surrender immediately and pray for safety.

Sure, it wouldn't be a cure-all, but in the early 40s the Taliban were nothing but dreams in a distant future, Al Queda unheard of (and possibly never to form, since the US would have simply nuked the USSR away, so no training for militants). Tsuchigimo, I have heard (but not totally confirmed, though I have run some numbers) that the US had, at least at one point, enough nuclear weapons to kill all people on earth: clearly dispersion is no obstacle. In a solely selfish rational POV, the US should have nuked Russia with all the (admittedly few) nukes they had at the time.

This discussion reminds me of a certain someone.

See, he problem is, US had no idea how many nukes did USSR have at the time - they overestimated the numbers quite a lot, and so the main reason they didn't attack was that they thought they would be pulverized in retaliation.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

they overestimated the numbers quite a lot
Thanks to Soviet diplomats and spies.

EDIT: Wow, I fail at quoting.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:50:12 am by Sergarr »
._.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think the nukes could've made the world so nice for USA. Sure, no countries would be able to oppose it, but individuals are kinda hard to neutralize with nukes. If USA were to be such humongous assholes and nuke all who disagree with them, I reckon large scale terrorist attacks on US soil would be a daily occurrence.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

I don't think the nukes could've made the world so nice for USA. Sure, no countries would be able to oppose it, but individuals are kinda hard to neutralize with nukes. If USA were to be such humongous assholes and nuke all who disagree with them, I reckon large scale terrorist attacks on US soil would be a daily occurrence.

A NUKE FOR EACH TERRORIST! NUKE FOR THE NUKE GOD!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 341