Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515098 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Put it in a chokepoint.

The real problem is avoiding having it disabled beforehand.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i were not yet aware that there exists a naval chokepoint that nk can utilize.

please deliver more information regarding this subject

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

AFAIK the Yellow Sea is the secondmost important waterway in the world, right after the North Sea. If you just want to wreck stuff just dump it in there.
For use against the US and SK navies you'd probably put it in the likely invasion routes; off the shore near Pyongyang or something.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you do have a point regarding the yellow sea's importance, but there's the sea of japan right on the other side so if you actually needed to invade and the yellow sea was blocked off you could... go there, making the chokepoint useless

also, this 'ere article claims that there are offshore oil deposits that belong to best korea, with the only source being some russian article but a quick googlerizing says that the geology is "favorable for oil formation" so it might or might not be a thing already

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

But then with a mine you need a lot of them to make sure that the enemy fleet will likely go over it.
Or they could put it anywhere between Busan, Shanghai and Qingdao. Then they could just flood the seas with regular drifting mines through the black tide currents and pray that no minesweepers can find the radioactive needle in the minestack.

Seems like only something they could do with an abundance of nukes. An invasion-warranting scenario is if North Korea just one day announced they had the capabilities to destroy world sea lanes at a whim, or were seeking for such capabilities.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They also do have a few immediate obvious choices.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:40:47 am by Loud Whispers »

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right, here's the second draft. Dealt with a few spelling errors and added two paragraphs at the end. Thoughts?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf

Beast Tamer: I think it's interesting. But do you plan on expending it, or is that a final version? Because I think a lot more could be said about the cult of personality in North Korea. One of the important things is the fact that there are recorded cases of people defecting to the South. This does mean NK's ideology is not completely rebel-proof. One does wonder how many unsuccessful cases of defection there are and what does that tell us of stability? Can this be further expanded on the Jonestown example, the victims that survived the mass suicide or those that were left out intentionally?
I'm asking because I do not know how long your paper should be or even for what purpose you are doing it. I apologize if you explained that in earlier pages, I do not follow this thread much.

I do not agree on the conclusion though. However, I am not trying to persuade you to change what you have written. Just presenting my point of view, so hear me out:
If we consider the possibility that entire country is brainwashed to the point of people willing to sacrifice themselves without second thought, then an armed intervention would be counter-productive. Forget the speculations that NK's army may-or-may-not have obsolete equipment, forget the technologically superior SK/USA/China's army, forget the nukes. If attack is made on the whole country that has been living in a fear that one day such attack would happen, then you have the whole country to fight. WILLING to fight to the bitter end. Such conflict would not only be long and bloody but if successful for the invaders, one wonders what would there be left in the end?

That is, of course, in the case that whole cult of personality is as strong as suggested. Given the existence of mentioned defects, NK's occasional interactions with pro-West world (family reunions, occasional piece of "western" music/video/art to be allowed etc.), it makes one think the regime's hold on it's people CAN be broken or at least the people are willing to accept more "non-NK" values. In that case, open war is still a gamble - should invasion take place, maybe some people will join the invaders? Maybe whole country will embrace them, once (if) the ruling party falls?
But what if none of that happens? What if a still large enough number of blindly loyal people remain? For how long will eventual guerrilla warfare/terrorism activities last in such country? For what cost?
And lastly, is a head-on assault of a nuclear armed nation even a smart thing to do?

Surely, with all that being said, question of how to "deal" with NK presents itself.
Wait for regime to collapse? Help it collapse? That might be the wrong way to see the problem. The problem itself is not the regime, it's the people who believe in it. If that is (on a nation-wide scale) just a small number of people, military intervention might be possible, if extremely risky solution. But on a larger scale? Taking Jonestown for example - most died willingly, correct? If army/trained assassins stormed the place with sole mission of killing Jim Jones, do you think his followers would not do the same?
Taking down a regime people not believe in is as simple as eliminating people who hold the power. Taking the one mass amount of people believe in or even support to a fanatical degree is another story.

On a slightly less serious, more jubilant note - Beloved Leader fights Imperialist pigs on a pegasus, rainbows staple food for every party member.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

I heard a funny joke about Jonestown. I'd tell it to you, but the  punch  line is too long.

I am a horrible person.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the feedback, Sinistar, you raise some good points.

As a second draft I'm going to edit the essay again. I have until monday to finish it.

I am a horrible person.

I am to for laughing at it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:39:03 am by Beast Tamer »
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

South Korea is going to hack Best Korea's nuclear facilities.
Okay, what? Are they trying to start a war now? Why the fuck did they announce that?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

It's step 2 of their program with step 1 being infiltrating and posting propaganda on the North Korean intranet.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf

Beast Tamer, I hope my opinion didn't sound too critical.  :)
Overall, I think it's a very good essay. Jonestown is a nice example for a topic you are writing about.
I realize I don't offer any real solution to the problem, I only argue about usage of military force. When I was writing my reply I was, for some reason, under the impression you advocate immediate war on NK, but after reading your essay again - you never said that! So maybe I did sound a bit negative about your conclusion and I do apologize for that.  ;)
Do let us know how it turns out though!

As for this:
South Korea is going to hack Best Korea's nuclear facilities.
I...cannot see this as anything else as empty threats and propaganda from South. I mean, why would they publicly announce they are preparing an attack against them? To scare them? Come on, NK will just retaliate back with it's own propaganda machine.
Maybe they are trying to pull some reverse-psychology trick and convince NK they WON'T actually do this but they will? But then NK will still blame them.
Unless of course, the cyberattack will be followed by an imperialistic land-grab open invasion with an intention of bringing NK down.
But all that is just too silly.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Well, he's supposed to be writing an essay in favor of an invasion, so...

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, he's supposed to be writing an essay in favor of an invasion, so...

That was the original intent, since then it has morphed into an essay advocating decisive intervention. A few paragraphs may seem a little at odds with that, so I'll have to change them some.

Beast Tamer, I hope my opinion didn't sound too critical.  :)
Overall, I think it's a very good essay. Jonestown is a nice example for a topic you are writing about.
I realize I don't offer any real solution to the problem, I only argue about usage of military force. When I was writing my reply I was, for some reason, under the impression you advocate immediate war on NK, but after reading your essay again - you never said that! So maybe I did sound a bit negative about your conclusion and I do apologize for that.  ;)
Do let us know how it turns out though!

Any feedback is appreciated, especially that which helps me improve my essay. Will post third draft once finished.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 341