Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 513825 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Psh, everyone knows that the ecologically-friendly WMD of choice is the neutron bomb.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And about the migration crisis, what really strikes me the moderate view a year or two ago was border control and limited immigration, and mass deportations and razor wire were considered to be madness. The moderate view is now rapidly moving towards mass deportations and razor wire, and mass lynching is considered to merely be madness, instead of unthinkable. This could get out of hand.

That's just on the Republican side, unless you mean Europe.
I mean Europe. The American immigration problem is small potatoes compared to this disaster.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's kind of depressing to see news articles titled "What is a Hydrogen Bomb?"

You expect the average person to understand the different flavors of nukes?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not to mention, but it's been a long time since there was any real threat of a nuclear attack.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not to mention, but it's been a long time since there was any real threat of a nuclear attack.

History is important! It's not even that long ago. Of course, my experience in school was that if a normal history class made it past world war II, it either ran out of time shortly after, or zipped through everything beyond at lightning speed.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

History is important! It's not even that long ago. Of course, my experience in school was that if a normal history class made it past world war II, it either ran out of time shortly after, or zipped through everything beyond at lightning speed.
There's an awful lot of it, and the subtle nuances of "large explosive things nobody ever uses but everyone is afraid somebody else will use" are kind of besides the point most of the time. Most people aren't familiar with the exact specifications of the average tank or the differences between various conventional warheads either.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

The only thing I really know about the different types of nuclear bombs, is that they are typically more than enough to kill me, and a lot of other stuff with me.  And leave the resulting area mostly useless for a very long time.

If I had to wager a guess, an H-bomb works by fusing hydrogen together, whereas other nukes usually split uranium.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah. But historically you've needed to be able to reliably make a-bombs to be able to detonate an h-bomb because essentially a-bomb detonation is used to compress the hydrogen to initiate fusion. Also h-bombs are much bigger in yield than a-bombs. Reportedly NK's detonation wasn't strong enough to be one unless the hydrogen didn't undergo a chain reaction (it failed but the a-bomb trigger still detonated - or it was only an a-bomb in the first place).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

To be fair, such a failure would hardly be unreasonable for NK. I'll remind you of the time they launched a satellite and somehow managed to send it into an unrecoverable spin only after getting it into orbit.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

It could have been a Boosted fission bomb, a bob where the fission reaction is used to start a fusion reaction, but that fusion reaction doesn't provide much energy directly: it's main use is to produce neutrons to make the fission reaction more efficient.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

I could see that..  An actual hydrogen bomb requires significant quantities of tritium and deuterium.  You get those via centrifuging ocean water then cracking the hydrogen. (Or, you can enrich the hydrogen by exposing said water to neutron emissions of the correct hardness for extended periods, THEN centrifuge and crack.)

A heavy water processing facility would draw the immediate attention of the various international nuclear regulatory agencies, because there really isn't a whole lot you do with heavy water on that kind of scale-- at least nothing NORTH Korea has demonstrated serious interest in. (It is used in a number of theoretical physics experiments, some medical applications, and a few others. All are things that Best Korea has shown almost pathological disdain for.)

The lack of appropriate processing facilities, the incorrectness of the seismic data of the device test, and the bombastic nature of Best Korea all kind of say that this was not a genuine staged nuclear device with a powerful secondary fusion cycle based explosive-- EG, an "H bomb".  Rather, it looks like either a conventional fission only nuke, like they have done in the past, or a boosted nuke, like Sheb suggests. (that would require significantly less pure, and less total quantities of those isotopes of hydrogen.)

Really, if Best Korea was trying to get attention, they could have done it with far more seriousness if they had stated that they were going to build a heavy water processing plant to further their nuclear program, then proceeded to do THAT instead of poisoning the ground someplace in their tiny little backward plot of ground for centuries to come.  But hey, PR machines are rarely known for being sensible.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Oh, by the way, that Mao statue from before got demolished as soon as it was finished. We consumerist dystopic moral story now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

Why? By Who?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think that anyone's made a fusion weapon that hasn't needed a fission stage.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

A pure fusion device would not be practical as a weapon, IMO.

While potentially much cleaner (within reason-- it IS a nuclear device) than a staged weapon or boosted weapon, the device would need to have an initial confinement system comparable to that of a sustained fusion power plant to reach enough energetic events to have an explosion of any significant output.  That would put the cost of manufacture and the number of required component parts outside the scope of a throw away device.  Focusing the concussive force, or the xray/microwave emissions of a fission device into a fusion capable material chamber to induce spontaneous fusion is much more practical.

Besides, a multi-stage device is more than capable enough.  The 50-100 megaton device detonated by the soviet union (Tsar Bomba) was only a 3 stage device-- theoretically, staged devices can go up to 7 stages in the reaction, with increasingly more energy dense fusion materials, and be significantly more powerful.  Unless you are trying to blow planets apart though, there's not a legitimate need for a device of that kind of explosive potential.

I could see Best Korea developing and testing a boosted device-- but that is different from a staged device.  When people say 'H bomb", they mean staged device. 
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 341