Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 435634 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette mission 11: The Calm before the storm
« Reply #2100 on: September 28, 2013, 10:55:16 am »

((If by "indent' " he means indentured servant then I wonder what could lead a man to become a servant of the UWM. A way to repay debt or taxes he can't afford to pay? A softer alternative to the HMRC , a way for criminals to be punished? Was he rented to the UWM by a megacorp? Is it a way to pay off the costs of the trip, the cost of his migration to Hephaestus? It would give us an insight to the UWM society and its people.))
Well, even with the ability to jump around to certain areas in the galaxy, space travel is still extremely expensive and time consuming. Even when you shave off a large section of it, it can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars per passenger and take more then a decade. As such, it's not uncommon to become an indentured servant, either to the government or a private corporation in return for being transported somewhere. Usually this means that you take a cargo ship to a out of the way place like Hephaestus, work for 3-5 or more years and then get transported to your final destination. Companies love it, since it basically gives them free labor for allowing someone to stow aboard a cargo flight that was already going to go to those two places anyways. And workers use it because it means not having to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to get a dedicated transport from A to B.

This is why you don't really have to worry about a worker uprising here; the vast majority of people are just doing their job here so they can eventually get off world and to their final destination. As long as those moves are upheld, they won't really care. Of course, that does leave the HMRC with logistics of getting them to their various destinations, but hey, we'll work that out as we go, eh?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: September 28, 2013, 11:00:32 am »

((And if we deliver them immediately, everyone wins! Except the UWM, of course.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: September 28, 2013, 08:49:14 pm »

((Back, sorry about the disappearance. Hectic weekends mixed with trying to recharge batteries. I'll assume Milno already knew about the indent system. Even if he wasn't aware, the answer is generic enough and it was what I was going for before being informed OOC.))

"Yeah." Milno answers, rubbing the back of his neck. "You know, how was your home world?"

Ask.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: September 29, 2013, 07:28:33 pm »

((Sorry for my dissapearance as well, and I can't post an action, but I've had a bad end-of week, a terrible weekend, and I will be out of town most of tomorrow. No time to even think for myself much, much less for a character.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: September 29, 2013, 07:41:12 pm »

((Well, um...have fun with your out-of-town-ness?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2105 on: September 30, 2013, 09:14:34 am »

(S'alright you two, it's not like what is going on in this thread is exactly high tension action right now. Plus there's only three of ya and Faith is only semi-here.)

((Back, sorry about the disappearance. Hectic weekends mixed with trying to recharge batteries. I'll assume Milno already knew about the indent system. Even if he wasn't aware, the answer is generic enough and it was what I was going for before being informed OOC.))

"Yeah." Milno answers, rubbing the back of his neck. "You know, how was your home world?"

Ask.
"This is my homeworld." The man says, "One of the few guys actually born and living around here. So what do you think of my homeworld" He smiles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: September 30, 2013, 09:51:44 am »

((To quote Age of Empires 2:  "Nice town.  I'll take it."))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: September 30, 2013, 10:28:15 am »

"Full of metal, eh? Suppose your childhood wasn't anything too exciting. So, how were you born here and how's living in this place for your entire life? And how about these times?" Milno asks, continuing to make small talk with the man.

Continue to talk to the man with the strange accent.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2108 on: October 01, 2013, 10:55:02 am »

"Full of metal, eh? Suppose your childhood wasn't anything too exciting. So, how were you born here and how's living in this place for your entire life? And how about these times?" Milno asks, continuing to make small talk with the man.

Continue to talk to the man with the strange accent.
"Ah, can't complain. I've got a place that overlooks the electro-inscribing baths. Ever seen a tank the size of a lake filled with conducting fluid arc like a plasma ball at night? I'd take that over the night sky anytime. And growing up here isn't any different from anywhere else, I guess. Different scenery, more Tetanus."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: October 01, 2013, 06:53:40 pm »

((We need to know what that thing is. It is an important piece of information and we may need to send one of us back to Steve to report whatever it was that thing the man made a passing mention of.))

"How're you dealing with the workload, by the way? Not sure if mine grew more than the other workers' or if I'm just too lazy."

Talk.
>Yes?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: October 02, 2013, 08:18:34 am »

((Can't he hear you anyway?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2111 on: October 02, 2013, 08:54:16 am »

((We need to know what that thing is. It is an important piece of information and we may need to send one of us back to Steve to report whatever it was that thing the man made a passing mention of.))

"How're you dealing with the workload, by the way? Not sure if mine grew more than the other workers' or if I'm just too lazy."

Talk.
"Eh, you know. Finally having to do a full days work rather then laze about in the tunnels isn't so bad. Besides, it's almost all done."

He pulls a thermos from his box and takes a drink.

"Least they're not making us guard ARES. Fucking cold down there."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: October 02, 2013, 10:55:20 am »

((I wonder, would the robot bodies be able to transmit messages without speaking or typing? It would make sense for us to be able to, but I thought it might be a good idea to ask before assuming.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: October 02, 2013, 11:01:28 am »

((I wonder, would the robot bodies be able to transmit messages without speaking or typing? It would make sense for us to be able to, but I thought it might be a good idea to ask before assuming.))
((I'd imagine they can. Simus was sans suit in the planetoid mission, and was using the radio just fine when she was outside the base.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: October 02, 2013, 11:05:21 am »

((I'd imagine they can. Simus was sans suit in the planetoid mission, and was using the radio just fine when she was outside the base.))

((Yes, but as to whether or not what is said could be heard by nearby observers I do not know.))
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 243