Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 435711 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Survey Team
« Reply #3150 on: January 07, 2014, 12:37:25 pm »

((Not an overcompensator amp, an overcompensator sword.

He gave me a reiterpallasch with a blade thats 2 feet longer than normal.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3151 on: January 07, 2014, 01:19:40 pm »

((The best currently available semi-autonomous drone is the size of a softball. Largest thing it could properly terrorize is a large dog.

Also, I think you misunderstand the "point defense lasers" that will be used. These won't be like the modern "heat the missile till it explodes" lasers. If the anti-ship batteries of Mission 4 are any indication, these will be "blink-and-you'll-miss-the-missile-vaporizing" lasers. While the general idea might work, it's best utilized with larger robotic attack drones and specially-made suicide ships.))
Spoiler: Drone talk (click to show/hide)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: January 07, 2014, 02:36:47 pm »

((The best currently available semi-autonomous drone is the size of a softball. Largest thing it could properly terrorize is a large dog.

Also, I think you misunderstand the "point defense lasers" that will be used. These won't be like the modern "heat the missile till it explodes" lasers. If the anti-ship batteries of Mission 4 are any indication, these will be "blink-and-you'll-miss-the-missile-vaporizing" lasers. While the general idea might work, it's best utilized with larger robotic attack drones and specially-made suicide ships.))
Spoiler: Drone talk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whee, drone talk! (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3153 on: January 07, 2014, 03:17:31 pm »

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:21:09 pm by Parisbre56 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: January 07, 2014, 04:36:31 pm »

Spoiler: Drones gotta drone (click to show/hide)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3155 on: January 07, 2014, 04:45:52 pm »

Private channel to Miyamoto:
Steve put you in charge of organizing the defense, Miyamoto? Good choice. I'll answer your specifics first and pose ideas after.

Sods as they are, not so much, I would prefer them upgraded, if you will, to cybernetic suits with Sod brains, and future production tailored to that, as well as tweaking a few variables in regards to their mental capacity in future production. We should have quite a few of our standard cybersuits on-hand already, and more can certainly be manufactured easily. This will give a boost to their endurance on the field in comparison to a regular sod, and will let them ignore most environmental hazards, including any fielded by the UWM and ourselves, chemical, some kinds of nuclear, or biological. Another option would be gene tweaking, like we have available on the Sword, but I find that to be a messier option compared to cybernetics.

Full robots would be even better than cybersods, but will take a lot of time to set up, and that's if the boys in the lab have finished sifting your data and can extract useful information. And if we can't get AI out of it, then the robots will need to be teleoperated, in which case, we would go for fewer, larger ones and they couldn't replace the sods or variants thereof. However, improvements to anything we currently have using that data will certainly be put into place as quickly as possible.

Drones are a certainty. Both scouting and attacking, though more toward scouting, since we have better options in terms of both surgical strikes and carpet bombing, if it comes to that, but I'm sure they'll have a use in that capacity as well, however limited.

In terms of ideas about defense, I have a few ideas, though I would like to know what you've got already.

Okay, Steve flies the shuttle. Bishop is released from duty unless Auron wants him. First job of my flight is to find where the anomalies end.
You don't get inside the ship, rather you grab hold of a railing around the edge and hang on as the ship does a low level flyby of the area around the base. The Debris field is thankfully small and fairly concentrated, though still as wide as the two admin buildings. The aurora on the other hand stretches out in a line for at least several miles and seems to encompass a large, ovoid area of distorted light and slow rippling.

Thats probably gonna need to be explored in some way.

Go ahead and learn how to fly a shuttle anyway. It's best to know and not need to do it, then not know when I need to. After I'm done training, begin coming up with a design for the repair of the walkway to the sword.
Well, the VR's are out for now, do you know another way  to practice and plan?

Thomas took a seat outside the pits. He wasn't a genius, but he was smart enough to know that radiation was bad.
"Radiation is getting to me. May I go to the ship?"
Await permission.

You take a seat outside the pit and wait, next to the bodies. Bleh. When you signed up for the Black Ops team you didn't expect to be digging bodies free of nuclear craters. Thats a bit more of a Dark Op then anything.

"Sounds like a plan, Steve. Give Mesk and Skylar the ships, and send them over once they're free to help out. Sooner the better, there's enough scrap and salvage here to build us a few Daggers to go with the Sword."

"Keep it up, people. Don't try dragging whole ships around, only haul the bits and pieces from the more damaged ones. Just free the intact ones from debris so we don't have to airlift extra rocks and girders. Keep to the salvage chart."

Thomas took a seat outside the pits. He wasn't a genius, but he was smart enough to know that radiation was bad.
"Radiation is getting to me. May I go to the ship?"
Await permission.

"Permission granted. No sense getting yourself in danger, especially when radiation's involved. Just leave any blankets you have left over there so we can keep working."

Accept the offer of skycranes, mark the location of the future scrap yard on me datapad, send Thomas back to the ship, and get back into the crater. If there are any bodies left to haul up, get to hauling. If not, go and pick the most intact-looking ship for the first airlift out of the crater.

(You should message Mesk and Skylar in character to ask for their help.)

You mark a rough area for the scrap yard and then head back into the crater to start marking out the promising looking craft. There are two personal craft and one that looks...well it looks like a space tugboat. It's an ugly, massive block of metal that seemed to only  be mildly annoyed by having a nuke dropped on it. You mark them as the first to go.

head over to anton, help if necessary.
You stick with anton and help him choose ships, all the while secretly longing to start tearing free bits of their control panels or engines.

(Honestly. This gives me an idea for another game. GOD DAMN IT IMAGINATION. WE ARE OVERBOOKED AS IT IS)

If I'm needed for salvage duty (to tie the cables we're gonna tow the salvage with for example or to lift heavy stuff or to smash stuff) go and help where I'm needed.
Else, go and respectfully recover the bodies others can't reach due to radiation.

((EDIT: Oh, another idea for rebuilding: Put some of the important, sensitive things under stuff destroying and sensor scrambling anomalies like the aurora or the mustard gas. That way you reduce the chances of someone finding and/or messing with your sensitive stuff.
ARM: Creating more layers of shielding through the destruction of reality.))
You Gather up the dead from the parts that are too hot for others and then stand by to do heavy lifting.

Continues hauling bodies out of the pit so long as it's safe in regards to radiation. inspect the lethal pistol closer, what are we talking about here.
We'll say you've got em all, at least any piece big enough to be worth getting.

The lethal pistol is a pistol. Looks gauss powered but civilian grade. Powerful enough to easily kill but not to punch fist sized holes in things or snap your wrist.

"Permission granted. No sense getting yourself in danger, especially when radiation's involved. Just leave any blankets you have left over there so we can keep working."
"Will do."
Abandon blankets. Go back to the ship.
((Which thread is that? I hate to ask, but I'm sort of lost with the changed titles.))
(Repair and rescue)

You head back to the ship.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: January 07, 2014, 04:59:21 pm »

Quote from: piecewise
You stick with antonand help him choose ships, all the while
secretly longing to start tearing free bits of their control
panels or engines.

(Honestly. This gives me an idea for another game. GOD
DAMN IT IMAGINATION. WE ARE OVERBOOKED AS IT IS)

Ooh spaceship "salvager" game. id so play that, especially if it involved salvaging occupied vessels.

wait for first ship to be airlifted then zerg rush it the second it lands and begin surveying it for damage and marking parts that need replacement.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:50:40 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: January 07, 2014, 06:50:25 pm »

Spoiler: Droning about Drones (click to show/hide)

panels or engines.

Ooh spaceship "salvager" game. id so play that, especially if it involved salvaging occupied vessels.
((I'd like that as well, but I'd like confirmation on what piecewise's idea was. Five bucks says it's even cooler than that.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: January 07, 2014, 07:17:43 pm »

((Remember, they aren't going to be bombarding quite as much as you think. Most of it is going to be centered on the laser batteries, and other areas that pose a direct threat to the fleet. They want this place intact, or at least mostly so. And for the problem of delivery system, we know they have to use the jump point. Why not just spread the drones out there before they arrive in system, or on the most likely route to Haephestus? Have them power down until the fleet is in the middle, then suddenly drones in your grill?))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: January 07, 2014, 10:16:14 pm »

panels or engines.

((Somewhere between The Martian Way and Space Hulk?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: January 07, 2014, 10:18:33 pm »

panels or engines.

((If it's something like that, you could do it using a variation of Mainspring...))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: January 08, 2014, 01:35:59 am »

wait for first ship to be airlifted then zerg rush it the second it lands and begin stripping off its armor panels, with lasers if necessary.

((Yes, let's just carve up ships that are pretty much intact and usable. While completely ignoring orders. Even the ones that are only fit for parts, which I don't think you're getting out of the pit intact, aren't really yours to be doing such things to. I don't speak for Sean, but he did tell you, in character, and I quote:

Flint, and Auron, you're on primary salvage duty. I'll try to get you some help, and some heavy lifting, but for now your task is simple. Take my salvage chart, and prepare everything for being taken out. Ships marked for salvage are to be freed of debris and hauled out into an open area of the level, if you can, without further damage. Ships marked for parts are to be cut loose via any available means, tear them to pieces if need be, and I would prefer to see at least most of those pieces in the salvage yard first. We'll sort out the usable and valuable pieces once we're done decontaminating everything. If only for the safety of the unshielded people you might be walking past, hold off on the looting till then.

Simus might not be in direct command right now, but she's still the overall commander. If you do that and Auron comments on it, she'll hear. And she won't be pleased.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: January 08, 2014, 01:48:00 am »

Yeah i posted that action after not getting any sleep whatsoever, i think i might change it now that an awake person pointed out a flaw.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: January 08, 2014, 07:31:39 am »

Massage message to Simus:
"Call it what you want really, though part of calling it that is because, apparently, the UWM doesn't know yet there's a rebellion going on, so that's another point in our favor. I'll mention your idea of neutron warheads to Steve, see what he has to say."
((Relevant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_bomb#Questionable_effectiveness_in_modern_anti-tank_role

Seems to indicate that the radiation might not be sufficient to incapacitate the troopers dropping in. Don't have time to investigate more in-depth, but it seems the advantage of neutron warheads might not be that great if the dropships are decently shielded, never mind battlesuits.

Also, a bit of an OOC argument, but I'm pretty sure that whatever measurements we use or how many nukes we lob at them, PW is still gonna let enough enemies land to pose a threat to us. There isn't a mission otherwise, after all. Though we might make it easier on ourselves if we prepare the right defenses and get a few decent background rolls.))

((Are you guys open to other people commenting in on the military strategy?  If not, I apologize.
I think that before you write off organic stuff entirely, you should look at production times.  I mean, the UWM hasn't shown itself to be willfully stupid on a large scale before, so why would they use organic-only sods if robobody sods are entirely better?  Maybe you can vat grow a battalion of sod bodies faster than manufacture a battalion of robobodies.  Or maybe there's some other advantage.  But you can't know, and therefore can't make an informed decision, unless you look.))
((Of course we are! The more you tear apart my plans the more I like it, after all two people are smarter than one. And I basically agree on this point: before committing to anything, we should check what is most feasible, and why (if it's such an obvious thing as robobodies) the UWM doesn't employ them. As I said, there may be unexpected drawbacks to full robobodies we haven't really encountered yet.))

((I'm personally against sending in Xanlings as a means for taking over ships, for reasons already stated by other people. That said, if he wants a chance at joing the borders, that might be arranged (depending on how PW wants to do this).

about drones: remember, you don't need no special tricks to get drones on board, because if Steve has a way to get troopers on their ships alive the same technique could be used for drones or anything else really. But I think using full robot drones should only be an addition to our boarding parties, not all we use. Both for IC reasons stated earlier, and because there's no mission that way, only a few turns' worth of explanations.))

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:38:15 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: January 08, 2014, 08:02:37 am »

((Somewhat unrelated to the idea of boarding drones, I've been thinking of whether it's possible - or feasible, or beneficial - to create an "assault wharf". No, it's not a ship dock that flies out and grabs ships for boarding, although that would definitely be nice (as long as it's just one ship).

What I thought of was... er, basically a combination of a ship dock, a missile silo, and a gauss cannon. The Sword being a huge ship, I doubt it can take off all that quickly. If the assault catches it still in its cradle, it will be a sitting duck until it leaves atmosphere.

Now, it's been stated that we can make a ship of the Sword's size in a few months, if everything works right. We don't rightly need a ship of the Sword's size, but we could make a smaller "pocket battleship" class with its own dedicated dock that's hidden in the ground, and can quickly launch into orbit, vertically, with assistance of a gauss-like principle or vector manipulators.

If nothing else, it'd be surprising. :P))

Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 243