Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 436914 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Survey Team: This is why we can't have nice things.
« Reply #3585 on: January 31, 2014, 12:33:23 pm »

((Xans biofeedback is a lot easier to deduce than Aurons as he uses amps which would display a very distinctive pattern of nueral activity, Auron was still reeling from being electrocuted so his nueral patters would be all scrambled and hard to decipher.))
((What makes you think that Steve's sensors are anywhere but in one's own skull? Or that "I'm going to kill/maim Simus" could be mistaken for "Argh the pain"? Steve isn't stupid.))
Quote from: piecewise
Yeah, You'd besurprised whatI can deduce from your suit's
biofeedback sensors.

Thats what makes me think they arent in my skull, so chances are they are measuring the brains electrical activity instead of its chemical production and aurons brain just had a jiggawatt flowing through it.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: January 31, 2014, 12:54:59 pm »

((Xans biofeedback is a lot easier to deduce than Aurons as he uses amps which would display a very distinctive pattern of nueral activity, Auron was still reeling from being electrocuted so his nueral patters would be all scrambled and hard to decipher.))
((What makes you think that Steve's sensors are anywhere but in one's own skull? Or that "I'm going to kill/maim Simus" could be mistaken for "Argh the pain"? Steve isn't stupid.))
Quote from: piecewise
Yeah, You'd besurprised whatI can deduce from your suit's
biofeedback sensors.

Thats what makes me think they arent in my skull, so chances are they are measuring the brains electrical activity instead of its chemical production and aurons brain just had a jiggawatt flowing through it.

((1: That current would've stopped when Steve stopped shocking you. There aren't any residual signals from something like that after the current stops, especially not any that make it look like you're still being electrocuted.
2:External sensors can monitor a lot more than just electrical activity. They can (and Steve would more than likely have) measure blood pressure, pulse, respiration, body temperature, blood-oxygen saturation, motion, skin conductivity, and probably more.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: January 31, 2014, 12:57:45 pm »

-snip-
((If your brain had a "jiggawatt" charge flowing through it, you would be permadead. Hell, if your brain had a significant charge flowing through it, you would be dead or brain-damaged. The shocking stuff is probably more in the peripheral nervous system, or maybe the spinal column. Or, you know, not (directly) affecting the nervous system at all. Moreover, if electrical activity was disrupted enough that Steve couldn't detect it, it would be disrupted enough that you would likely be somewhere on a continuum between "comatose" and "even more insane than HMRC folks". Oh, and the hostile action was taken after recovering from the shock. Again, if brain activity was still disrupted by that point, you would be experiencing mental difficulties of some sort.))

2:External sensors can monitor a lot more than just electrical activity. They can (and Steve would more than likely have) measure blood pressure, pulse, respiration, body temperature, blood-oxygen saturation, motion, skin conductivity, and probably more.))
((That too.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: January 31, 2014, 01:09:19 pm »

((The shock implant's at the base of the skull, so it's tickling the entire motor function spectrum and sensory feedback from the body, presumably omitting the actually important control functions like heart rate and maybe breathing. Since it's a tiny implant and likely feeds off the body's own microscopic amounts of generated electricity (or maybe radiowaves, or w/e, really), the amount of current it applies is likewise miniscule. Strong enough to override any of the brain's own outgoing signals, but not strong enough by far to cause significant damage.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: January 31, 2014, 01:28:47 pm »

((GWG, Unholy spoke in units of Watts, that is, energy transfer (also, jigga- is a corruption of giga-). That doesn't imply amperage (current), but a Gigawatt would require 476190476190 volts every second (Watts are a measure of Joules per second) if you have 2.1 milliamps (equivalent to a Taser, sufficient for neuromuscular disruption).))
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:34:12 pm by PyroDesu »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: January 31, 2014, 01:35:30 pm »

((GWG, Unholy spoke in units of Watts, that is, energy transfer (also, jigga- is a corruption of giga-). That doesn't imply amperage (current), but a Gigawatt would require 476190476190 volts every second (Watts are a measure of Joules per second) if you have 2.1 milliamps (equivalent to a Taser, suffecient for neuromuscular disruption).))
((And how likely is it that...
A. the shock implants work like that
B. such a discharge would scramble brain signals enough to screw up biofeedback without also screwing up higher brain functions?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: January 31, 2014, 02:34:44 pm »

Jim waits in the infirmary for the two to wake up so he can get an explanation for what exactly happened out there. "Steve, do we have external cameras on the ship? If so, can I get the footage of what caused the explosion? I'll take the view from their cams if I have to."

>Auron tried to shoot Simus and missed. His shot hit a fuel tank and boom. Fairly simple.

((You can stop arguing now.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3592 on: January 31, 2014, 03:52:26 pm »

VR!Jim waits for impact patiently. Once they land - if they land - he immediately dives for cover.
((Intentional.))

Yes, drop.
Realize only upon landing that unarmedness was a bad idea.
Look around, determine how hurt people are.

The skeletal shuttle, not much more then a metal framework with maneuvering thrusters, tears out of the hanger and down toward the planet. And now it's time for the hotdrop roll!

Oh dear.

Lets see...

1 milno -3
2. jim
3. ivan -5
4.faith
5.feyri -1
6.grate

You're still a few miles up when the shot hits the shuttle, punching straight through it.  Milno his entire lower body, Ivan loses just a hand, and feyri is vaporized entirely. Milno and Ivan both die basically instantly from the cold and depressurization and the ship's engines sputter and die.

You feel something click in your harness and then you're hurtling away from the wreckage, tumbling down, the world nothing but a blur of alien stone, then black, star spattered sky, then stone again.  The grav parachute kicks in a few moments later, lowering the mass of you and your harness so that, when you do hit the ground nearly a minute later, you lack the kinetic force to actually injure yourself.

So now half the team is dead, your mom permanently, and the survivors are scattered randomly around the surface of a hostile alien world.

HAVE FUN!

*sigh* Can't get anything done without an explosion, can we.

@Someone In Authority (probably Simus) Pretty minor damage out here, all said. Salvage yard has taken a beating, but most of the ships are at least intact, and the walker is still going. Unless you want me to leave it alone, I'm going to go bring that thing to heel first, in case it causes more damage.

... Anyone know if it has wireless control?

Head over to the spider tank, see if it looks like it's possible to control it remotely.

Prepare to do so if possible, otherwise ask someone to give me a lift onto it's control unit.

Spider tank cannot be controlled remotely.

It is possible to get inside and control it though. You'd just have to climb up a leg.

Help Kriellya stop the thing if he needs help. Give him a lift.
Else, go ask the Doc if I could get my mount for 12 tokens.

((Simus jumped out of the way. Unless HMRC members all dive for cover the moment they see a shadow in the corner of their eye, she knows what happened. And Steve can tell when someone is about to overload his amp if he puts his minds to it. He knows what happened.))
(Well auron didn't say to be subtle about it in his secret post, so I just assumed he jerked the weapon up and pointed it at her.)

You give Sky a boost up onto the top of the spider tank and attempt to hold it in place. It shoves you along; the ground isn't solid enough of an anchor point to prevent it from pushing you back.

((Pfft. Dammit, Mesk! XD))

"Какого...?! AAAAAH! GetthefuckoffamyfacewhatthehellI'mgoingtoGRAAH!"

Anton, after a brief freakout, tosses the appendage away from himself. "Твою мать! Whose idea of a prank is this? Whoever you are, I hope you're still connected!"

Toss the self-propelled hand away. Flip the safety on the Red Hand, and tase the thing until it stops moving.

((Apologies in advance to Grate if I toss the hand at him before trying to tase it. Or if I just hit him by accident. Anton's never really managed to hit any enemy he's been ever aiming for, so...))
You pull the hand of your face and toss it across the room
[Con:3+1]
You clip it a few times with your taser, but it seems only mildly bothered by the electricity.

"FIRES OF LUCIFER TAKE THE THINGS THAT ARE YOURS!"

((PW, I'm sure that, in Unholy's eyes, Simus - and by extension, me - already is.

Too bad for Auron, she's not that ineffectual.))

Simus waits until she is repaired enough to move, then goes to where Auron is currently festooned with life support equipment. She stares at him for a few minutes. ((And I am at least giving you warning of a secret action.))

While she was waiting, she composed a message, to the Doctor:
Quote from: Simus>The Doctor
I request that you do not do any work on the one brought in here with me. Not yet. Please accompany me to him, if you can.

The nurse staff pulls simus from her chemical bath and drags her over to auron, two of them on either side to hold up her great weight.

"That was a very stupid idea. Normally, I would not begin to consider what I am about to do, but you deserve it after that." she says, her voice garbled and watery through broken internal systems and damaged muscles.

She reaches out with her one, mostly functional hand and begins to clumsily turn off the life support machines. Auron, his spine no so much broken as non-existant at this point, can't do much more then watch as the machines that keep his ruined body alive power down.

"Consider this an act of mercy, for there is far worse yet to come." She says before finally switching off the last one, and watching Auron Expires for a second time.

She turns to The Doctor, who has been watching from nearby.

"Please keep him alive, but out, until I return."

"And the active chemical in bluesmoke cigarettes, what are the withdrawal symptoms?"

The doctor tilts his head quizzically before walking over and starting to flip the machines back on.

"If you want him alive, you need machines. Just keep him in chemical coma.  So dramatic, so theatrical. So ill-advised."

He presses a few buttons on one of the machines and it begins infusing Auron's blood with a lovely cocktail of drugs.

"Bluesmokes skill emotion. Raise mental functioning. Withdrawal depends on level of dosage. Neurological symptoms common."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: January 31, 2014, 04:01:35 pm »

Jim waits in the infirmary for the two to wake up so he can get an explanation for what exactly happened out there. "Steve, do we have external cameras on the ship? If so, can I get the footage of what caused the explosion? I'll take the view from their cams if I have to."
>Auron tried to shoot Simus and missed. His shot hit a fuel tank and boom. Fairly simple.
((You can stop arguing now.))
((Yaay.
Neener-neener.))
Sig

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: January 31, 2014, 04:04:18 pm »

VR!Jim grabs Grate and drags him into the nearest rock cover. "Get your head down, kid!" Then he looks at the wreckage (from cover, he's not going back over there) to see if it's possible to salvage any of Milno or Ivan's equipment.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: January 31, 2014, 04:25:24 pm »

"Hey, hey!  Stop shooting Manny!"
Yell at Anton, tackle him if he doesn't stop shooting.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: January 31, 2014, 07:42:01 pm »

Right, Simus, I'm positioned to take control of the spider tank.

Hop into what passes for a control unit, study the controls in preparation to power down.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: January 31, 2014, 11:47:31 pm »

((How the hell did I miss that there was an update right before I posted?))

VR!Jim grabs Grate and drags him into the nearest rock cover. "Get your head down, kid!" Then he looks at the wreckage (from cover, he's not going back over there) to see if it's possible to salvage any of Milno or Ivan's equipment.
"Miss Feyri's dead..."
Do as the weird guy says.
Why does he sound familiar?
Maybe he's someone you know?
He must have been someone great...Xan?
No, not that maniac. Someone we've known for a while.
...Dad?
No, not Dad.

"Ugh."
Sig

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: February 01, 2014, 12:12:41 am »

Jim put his hands on the sides of Grate's helmet and forced him to look him in the eyes. Sort of. There were still the mirrored lenses of his gasmask between them. "Kid, listen to me. There's nothing you can do for the dead except get the mission done. We do this, we can still get Ivan and Milno - the two who got depressurized - back to the Sword and at least save their lives. You're responsible for no one's survival but your own. That's the reality of the HMRC."

He released him and glanced over the rock. "That being said, I'm not sure how good our chances for survival are anyway. I can't keep calling you kid; if we're going to die together, we should at least know each other's names. The only other one besides us is Faith, she's a medic. I'm... Jim, a clone engineered to use amplifiers." Jim tapped the side of his gasmask to indicate the device attached to his brain. "I only have a microwave amplifier right now, but that should be enough to get us through this." He sighed and put his back against the rocks.

Christ. I was hoping Ivan or Feyri would make it down - they're both human mercs, they've been in combat before and would've known what they're doing. And between the three of us left, I'm the only one with any training. I go down and these two aren't going to stand a fucking chance in this kind of environment. After a moment, he looked at his razor. "...You're not even armed, are you? Here. It's better than nothing, and I can't give you my amp." He put it on the ground near Grate so neither of them had to touch the wire.

VR!Jim also gives Grate his monoatomic razor.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: February 01, 2014, 04:23:36 am »

Simus, with assistance, goes back to her chemical bath to finish her repairs, sending messages instead of trying her garbled-sounding voice, for now.

Quote from: Simus>The Doctor
Maybe, but it's why I asked you accompany me - I know I might've done something stupid and left him with all the support off. That, and your input. How much of the chemical would it take to tone down a person's emotions so as to render emotional impulses either severely reduced, or void altogether? Or another method altogether, I'm only familiar with the one possibility.

Quote from: Simus>Skylar
Shut it down as soon as you are able. If you think you can, get that inane cannon off of it and send it back to Steve for recycling. Leave the base itself be, though - it's scrap-made, not worth anything, may as well keep it intact. Maybe try to find a more appropriate weapons package for it.

Quote from: Simus>Steve
We'll build under that Aurora, and underground as much as possible, with the tunnels our entrance. I don't have any particular design scruples other than let's make it as efficient as we can, while still being defensible - and an elevator off of the main control room's hall that leads to a special level, with a conference room and facilities for me and the others who elect to stay with me.

Quote from: Simus>All
Any who would consider staying here with me, I would like to meet sometime soon to review you. If you're not otherwise occupied, meet me in the Sword's conference room. It's going to take a bit for my repairs to finish, so no hurry, but I need to see you.
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 243