Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31

Author Topic: Adventurer Fort: still useful i guess  (Read 139111 times)

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
Adventurer Fort: still useful i guess
« on: March 15, 2013, 07:06:15 am »

Advfort is a tool in dfhack that allows for FULL* experience of fort mode jobs. That means you can:brew, mine, chop trees, dig, carve ramps, smooth and engrave, make crafts (including weapons, statues, decorating stuff, etc...), farm, gather plants and so on.
This will be a short tutorial how to use new dfhack mode/tool: advfort.
Setup:
  • get dfhack.
  • set up keybinding, by adding to dfhack.init something like: 'keybinding add Ctrl-T "gui/advfort"'
  • start playing (best with axeman because you get axe that is needed to cut the trees down)
Playing:
Now you should be able to invoke the adv-fort overlay by pressing "Ctrl-T". It should look like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You can change the job with "R" and "T". And get ingame help with "?" (there is more help there).
Spoiler: Trees (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fishing (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Building (click to show/hide)
<rest of tutorial is todo for now.>

Limitations: you need to have tools and materials for jobs (like in fort mode). Doing jobs sometimes get interupted by thirst, or drowsiness or hunger. In that case the fort mode logic kicks in and your adventurer seeks food/water or just drops to sleep. In the seeking case the working timer is (-1) and you need to press "skip turn" for adventurer to find what he wants (or just eat/drink/sleep and retry).
*- almost full... need to finish some stuff (e.g. plant gathering STILL doesn't work :<)
More detailed guide by Isher
Please report issues here: dfhack github repo
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:33:50 am by Warmist »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer fort mode (aka dfhack r3 was released)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:43:58 am »

This will be a short tutorial how to use new dfhack mode/tool: advfort. Setup:
  • get dfhack r3 (yes it needs r3, r2 will not work).
  • set up keybinding, by adding to dfhack.init something like: 'keybinding add Ctrl-T "gui/advfort -i"'
  • (optional) <will write later how to install this: here basically some helpful stuff>
  • start playing (best with axeman because you get axe that is needed to cut the trees down)
Playing:
Now you should be able to invoke the adv-fort overlay by pressing "Ctrl-T". It should look like this:
You can change the job with "R" and "T". And get ingame help with "?" (there is more help there).
<rest of tutorial is todo for now.>

Limitations: you need to have tools and materials for jobs (like in fort mode). Doing jobs sometimes get interupted by thirst, or drowsiness or hunger. In that case the fort mode logic kicks in and your adventurer seeks food/water or just drops to sleep. In the seeking case the working timer is (-1) and you need to press "skip turn" for adventurer to find what he wants (or just eat/drink/sleep and retry).
Also note that if your adventurer tries to look for something to far away he/she will then stop what they where doing due to the entire world loaded in a new section of the map and broke the pathing code.

Another thing you can do with Adventure mode building.
You can do jobs above or below you, so you can craft stairs above you, and dig below you. which means you can hollow out a tunnel for later use, or channel out a river into a keep and pump in water by building a screw pump. be warned Traps are kinda screwed up in that once you designate the area of said trap your adventurer will immediately spot it and disarm it, cage traps don't work. To arm a trap you need to re-build using the weapon/cage you want to arm the trap with.

Now you can finally never fear Bogeymen at night if you have a pick/axe in your hand. (though with an axe you need to build a floor roof from a log you cut down).  Though getting an anvil is kinda tricky so best make an adventure's reaction to take a boulder and carve it into an fireproof anvil.

also any terrain changes might be reverted when you reload the area, also this only goes for Terrain changes any buildings you made before the reload(of the site not the game) will stay there.
which means you can dig 5 Z levels down and build a huge Shrine to a old god, then sleep only to find the whole thing resealed. best for setting up adventure successions where the next adventurer has to find a hidden Tomb by digging through a sealed hidden tunnel.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer fort mode (aka dfhack r3 was released)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 02:13:20 am »

This... this is awesome.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer fort building (aka dfhack r3 was released)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:06:37 am »

gotta follow this

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:45:51 am »

Also would like to see/hear about gui improvements. Although i have little time to tinker around but some day :)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 04:20:02 pm »

This is amazing, I would love to know more.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dragoon_103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 04:38:25 pm »

i have everything working properly but i am confused on how to harvest any plants.
when i try to harvest the plant it says that i need to be standing on it then select it. i don't know how to select the ground at your feet in adventure mode so i am pretty sure harvesting plants is a no go.

btw awesome how this working i am having a lot of fun making wooden towers!

EDIT: Just Figured Out how so i am all good now!. if anyone else is having this problem press 5 on the numpad
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:47:41 pm by Dragoon_103 »

Freak2121

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 06:53:56 pm »

This is amazing. I am in the process of building my own house in a small peaceful hamlet.
Edit: Aww..walls deconstruct as soon as you leave the location.
Edit 2: Decided to make it anyways, but without leaving the site. I'm tearing down some poor sob's house ATM.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:03:11 pm by Freak2121 »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 06:58:31 pm »

Wow, there's an achievement!

Do sites built by Adventurers show up on the world map in any way?

Also, do they stick around after you leave? If you go back to that spot with another adventurer or a fortress mode group, can you use what was there before? Or does the game not bother to save the map?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Freak2121

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 07:18:33 pm »

The constructions dismantle but the materials stay there. Well, anyways, I was dismantling a second home to put the finishing touches on my home (a floor) when all of a sudden:

Edit: If you accidentally collapse something, RUN.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:26:58 pm by Freak2121 »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 10:49:27 pm »

the proper way to dismantle houses is to break down the last block from outside, that way the roof doesn't cave in on top of your head.

also any building you build will stay on site, but constructions will not...ish

you can deconstruct a well and that well is gone forever but you can deconstruct walls and floor tiles to your heart consent.
 just make sure to not dismantle a building while your under it. it helps to have an understanding of Fort mode before diving into this.
fun news is that you can tackle necro forts by just building a huge trap system that will murder the undead when they walk over it.
just not that you might want to go into hiding before setting up traps or you might end up attacked when a zombie burst through the doors by accident.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:52:24 pm by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 01:16:09 am »

PTW beacuse HOLY CRAP AWESOME
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Freak2121

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 01:18:42 am »

Well, with the things I learned, to anyone who wants their own house:
Find an abandoned one, make a workshop near it and just fill it with your own stuff. Things like cabinets, beds, tables, chairs. You can even put stuff in/on containers and tables.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 05:05:41 pm »

better idea you could just use Dfusion and spawn a 1x1 site out side/or inside the town then use that to store all your stuff. I think warmist was writing a script to do that with minimal use of Dfhack.
if you want you could use tofort to take over the site you just created and run fort mode. Though the benefit of doing that is to either get migrants or play a leader of a huge tower that's well fortified, though there are chances of being ambushed by hostiles if you leave or wait in your home so be well armed when that time has come.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Dragoon_103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 09:05:32 pm »

i found some bugs that happen when you use this and im not sure if their fixable but il post some of the bugs that i found any ways.

- Making drink at the Still crashes game upon item completion
- lots of options to craft stuff not there (this could be due to a lack of skill the adventurer has but im pretty new to df so yeah...)
- Dismantling any stone wall such as a tomb spawns a very small amount of magma at your feet and it is pickup able... and then melts you (again not sure if this happens in normal fortmode)

Found a few more but i forgot them... damn
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:07:44 pm by Dragoon_103 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31