Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 166

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (44.12) - DF2019 Updated 24th Nov 2021  (Read 911516 times)

Morcaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (43.03) - DF2016 - Newest version! - Updated 9th Dec
« Reply #1830 on: March 19, 2017, 07:17:10 pm »

Crashes; crashes on world creation and crashes after creation when selecting play game.

Not sure why it's happening, tried fresh install with no dice. I did fiddle around with the pop with 0:0 babies. Checked off some mods for extra weapons and armor and got rid of virmin and added necromancers to civ. Not sure why this would be causing crashes.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Morcaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: March 19, 2017, 07:30:20 pm »

if your using v1.23:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162937.0

Thank you, This worked and also fixed a graphic issue with colored boxes as text and sprites! 100% fixed issues. TY so much for the quick reply as well!

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: March 20, 2017, 06:27:21 pm »

Hello. I've just checked the Masterwork threads after not playing for a very long time. Looks like a lot of changes have been made since my currently installed version of the mod.

I'm tempted to try out the new version, but when reading through the list of features (workshop list) I noticed something disturbing.

Where is the rune weaponry!? And rune armoury?! Surely they weren't removed? Those were one of the best features of the mod.

On another note, I'm curious. I notice that quite a few versions back, a lot of weapon and armour types got removed.

Did things like "seven league boots" not actually do anything special that made them worth having? Couldn't they be MADE to have special abilities?

Just seems odd to remove so many items and then, in a newer version, add a crapload of weapon types back in.

Oh, and also, has anyone fixed the following bugs?

1. Idiot soldiers not putting on the right armour and running around wearing a couple of pieces of armour only while you have huge piles of armour available.

2. Miners/hunters etc having invisible uniforms consisting of picks/crossbows that cause them to go and dump their weapon/pick in order to pick up a new one if you activate them as military. I want armoured combat miners, damn it!

3. Problems with ammo types causing your dwarves to never do any archery practice.

Oh and is there a guide to all the item types anywhere? e.g. Types of gnome powered armour and other technology for example. I've always had issues with DF not properly explaining what various items are for.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:24:37 pm by DG123 »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: March 20, 2017, 08:49:01 pm »

Hello. I've just checked the Masterwork threads after not playing for a very long time. Looks like a lot of changes have been made since my currently installed version of the mod.

I'm tempted to try out the new version, but when reading through the list of features (workshop list) I noticed something disturbing.

Where is the rune weaponry!? And rune armoury?! Surely they weren't removed? Those were one of the best features of the mod.

On another note, I'm curious. I notice that quite a few versions back, a lot of weapon and armour types got removed.

Did things like "seven league boots" not actually do anything special that made them worth having? Couldn't they be MADE to have special abilities?

Just seems odd to remove so many items and then, in a newer version, add a crapload of weapon types back in.

Oh, and also, has anyone fixed the following bugs?

1. Idiot soldiers not putting on the right armour and running around wearing a couple of pieces of armour only while you have huge piles of armour available.

2. Miners/hunters etc having invisible uniforms consisting of picks/crossbows that cause them to go and dump their weapon/pick in order to pick up a new one if you activate them as military. I want armoured combat miners, damn it!

3. Problems with ammo types causing your dwarves to never do any archery practice.

Oh and is there a guide to all the item types anywhere? e.g. Types of gnome powered armour and other technology for example. I've always had issues with DF not properly explaining what various items are for.

Meph is currently not available to answer questions.  DG123.

What was the features of rune weaponry and armoury.  many features aren't really listed in the documentation.  Its outdated and really no one has had the time to updated it to the current version(s) of MWDF.  they may have been reworked into other shops or dropped all together.

A lot of stuff was dropped between 42.06 and 43.xx because the changes to DF broke a lot of things.  so yeah a lot of gear along with certain sectors of the code were gutted.  As we moved forwards rewrites of some stuff was brought back, other stuff wasn't requested so wasn't recreated.

yes it may seem odd. but many items are a part of larger raws that were scrapped as stated above.

the bugs the bugs....
1. not so bad DF 43 fixed a lot of that...  there is still errors when exact matches and replace clothing isn't set.  There is far less reports of such things.  The worst part is that certain "materials" have to be manually set per item per character, because they don't accept the material as a valid material type for armors.  DF bug, not much else to fix than to make all materials metal/leather.

2. Miners/hunters/woodcutters still like to have a separate set of weapons for work and military.  Basically you have to force them into their military suits and then forbid/destroy/sell their old gear to get them to start using their military gear for work... and even then its not guaranteed.  its a DF bug.

3. There's been several different guides to make archers train.... have fun with it.  DF bug all the way around.

And nope, the guide that is in the downloads are fairly close (they were updated somewhere around last June) in describing what can be done.  but they aren't exactly accurate, you are still pretty much on your own to discover the world of Masterwork.

Hope that helps.  There are people like myself that are knee deep in the raws on a regular basis that can navigate them and assist with any questions you may have.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

redivider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: March 21, 2017, 02:41:39 pm »

archers train fine, the problem is there is no way beside micromanaging forbiding and dumping every single quiver, because they wont swap combat and training bolts so either you have a metal bolt type set for C and T or you micromanage; armor you can solve by first using "replace clothing" until the whole squad equips it then use "over clothing" and they will pick up clothes. Miners/hunters is just how the game works, nothing you can do really, been like that since what, 40d?

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: March 21, 2017, 02:49:54 pm »

Damn. Oh well. I just wish there was a way of sending my guys down to mine without them being ridiculously vulnerable to cave monsters... Maybe I can make them into some kind of damage resistant mage/demon warrior or whatever is available these days.

Oh, another thing I just remembered. Civilian dwarves staffing ballistae used to run away when enemies got close, right? Is that still the case?

What about the arbalest buildings? (The buildings you tell a dwarf to run a reaction on and he basically becomes a crossbow turret for a while). If those still exist... I never did work out if the dwarves using them would run off if enemies got close.

Edit: I have bigger problems. Help?

If I try to use "text will be text" the game crashes when trying to load a save. If I don't use text will be text, I get picture tiles replacing letters on some screens. Including 100% of the text on the pages for information about each dwarf's preferences and history etc.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:22:46 pm by DG123 »

redivider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: March 22, 2017, 11:27:42 am »

use LAA. Balista staff running is still a problem because again, theyre civilians, and civilians run away from threats, the solution is to have a wall of fortifications like 15 tiles in front of them so nothing can reach their "aggro zone", its not that much of a problem since the range is cca. 150 tiles. The problem is a beginner Siege Operator cannot shoot a bolt even semi accurately 5 meters in front of him...

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: March 22, 2017, 02:45:48 pm »

I'm already using LAA...

At least, on the main Dwarf Fortress exe. Maybe I need to run it on something else?

Otherwise I don't see what the problem is, but it's certainly a large one. I didn't have these problems in the older version of Masterwork.

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: March 22, 2017, 03:13:29 pm »

Quick question, does anyone know what labour is needed to get orcs to grind mithril to powder at a Damasc foundry? I feel like i have tried everything

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: March 22, 2017, 03:27:48 pm »

Well, it seems Masterwork is essentially completely unplayable for me. I either get pictures instead of menu text or I can't load into my fort without it crashing with a visual C++ error message, depending on whether I have "Text will be text" on.

I tried turning off multi-level rendering, using the normal font rather than Masterwork, and checking LAA was in use. Nothing helps.

I'm using the Meph tileset.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: March 22, 2017, 03:57:16 pm »

Well, it seems Masterwork is essentially completely unplayable for me. I either get pictures instead of menu text or I can't load into my fort without it crashing with a visual C++ error message, depending on whether I have "Text will be text" on.

I tried turning off multi-level rendering, using the normal font rather than Masterwork, and checking LAA was in use. Nothing helps.

I'm using the Meph tileset.

LAA was needed for v 1.23 which was x32 its the last version before meph left for his latest trip.  Its best to activate LAA not from the menu in Masterwork, but directly from its utility folder, you can open the utility folders from masterwork (no one knows why, but apparently there's something there that causes many players to find using one is better than the other).  You can use v1.24a (I'm releasing 1.24b most likely on friday, unless I can get 2 more fixes completed between now and then, it will be even more stable) v1.24 is the x64 version and has no need for LAA.  Of course this is if your on windows, I do not have any other system here for development of mac or linux versions, but as far as I understood those 2 versions of 1.23 didn't have the memory issues.

the fact your getting a VC++ error is odd... I've never seen that.  did you install it fresh in its own directory?  not over some old directory of masterwork?.

as far as the dwarves going down to the mines and not being vunerable.... make them military, in the schedule make sure that when they are inactive they are in uniform. set up their uniforms and ensure they equip them.  After that they wont take off the armor, they will just switch weapons... I just keep melting the low end weapons when they are available and eventually my miners have steel or better picks, and are mining in battle gear.  not a problem... the switch now is weapons only.

I don't think the dwarves still have arbalests.

Quick question, does anyone know what labour is needed to get orcs to grind mithril to powder at a Damasc foundry? I feel like i have tried everything
Milling and it can be done both there and at a millstone, gold can be done at a millstone or a tribal gear shop, same skill.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: March 22, 2017, 04:36:30 pm »

If you are getting pictures instead of menu text, it sounds like you're trying to use a TWBT-only tileset (probably Meph's) without TWBT turned on.

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: March 22, 2017, 04:54:12 pm »

If you are getting pictures instead of menu text, it sounds like you're trying to use a TWBT-only tileset (probably Meph's) without TWBT turned on.

Correct. Just to try to get things working because the game wasn't running when I tried using TWBT.

LAA was needed for v 1.23 which was x32 its the last version before meph left for his latest trip.  Its best to activate LAA not from the menu in Masterwork, but directly from its utility folder, you can open the utility folders from masterwork (no one knows why, but apparently there's something there that causes many players to find using one is better than the other).  You can use v1.24a (I'm releasing 1.24b most likely on friday, unless I can get 2 more fixes completed between now and then, it will be even more stable) v1.24 is the x64 version and has no need for LAA.  Of course this is if your on windows, I do not have any other system here for development of mac or linux versions, but as far as I understood those 2 versions of 1.23 didn't have the memory issues.

the fact your getting a VC++ error is odd... I've never seen that.  did you install it fresh in its own directory?  not over some old directory of masterwork?.

Hm. Where do I get v1.24a? I thought I downloaded the newest version already. I got it from the main Masterwork thread. I'll have a look for v1.24a

Edit: Found it. Installing.

Yes, I am using Windows.

Anyway I tried running world generation using TWBT just now and it crashes before completing that, too.

Same C++ error. And yes, it was a fresh install. My old install was on another drive.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:59:28 pm by DG123 »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: March 22, 2017, 05:10:03 pm »

it crashed with the VC++ error on 1.24a?  can you post an image of the error?  1.24 is the maintained branch while meph is out and about.  I started it last week... some dfhack features aren't working yet.  but I'm trying to get them straight right now.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 166