Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4130929 times)

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r13
« Reply #2685 on: June 14, 2015, 10:50:03 am »

But honestly, isn't that more a matter of how many tiles are on the screen than how many different types of tiles there could possibly be?  (More a problem of TWBT's multi-level view than tilesets.) Again, if you allow for creature graphics, that's a totally arbitrary number of graphics tiles, and most graphics sets have more creatures than it would take tiles to prevent overlaps of things like cursor, bin, floodgate, up/down stair, and letter X.

Nope! GPUs are very parallel beasts, and for something like Dwarf Fortress, the number of tiles to be displayed doesn't actually matter much - it's basically the same amount of work no matter if the playfield is 80x25 tiles or 100x50 tiles, because it doesn't actually know about tiles at all - it just calculates pixels; it's the data it gets sent which effectively makes it tile-based.

The number of different tiles does matter, however, because of the limits the GPU has on the size of a single texture (more tiles means more space needed for all of them, and that puts you that much closer to the texture size limit).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: June 14, 2015, 01:25:30 pm »

Nope! GPUs are very parallel beasts, and for something like Dwarf Fortress, the number of tiles to be displayed doesn't actually matter much - it's basically the same amount of work no matter if the playfield is 80x25 tiles or 100x50 tiles, because it doesn't actually know about tiles at all - it just calculates pixels; it's the data it gets sent which effectively makes it tile-based.

The number of different tiles does matter, however, because of the limits the GPU has on the size of a single texture (more tiles means more space needed for all of them, and that puts you that much closer to the texture size limit).

No, I mean, a larger viewing area has a larger likelihood of using different tiles if you're talking about the CPU having to send textures every frame for some reason.  TWBT rendering multiple floors functionally multiplies the likelihood of different tiles being visible in a single screen.  (And for that matter, loads a second tileset for text, as well, and usually has creature graphics enabled, all of which expands the amount of tiles the GPU is being sent, and none of which is really enough of a slowdown that most players suddenly drop TWBT for performance reasons, alone.)

If you're saying that it all needs to be on one tileset image for some reason, rather than multiple images, (I would expect them to be diced CPU-side, but whatever,) then all that requires is having code to allow more than 16 rows in the image, such that users can make an extensible tileset. 

And anyway, the total cache size of even an outdated GPU should be far more than enough to keep them all onboard the GPU.  A 10-year-old GPU has 512 MB of RAM, and as Vattic said, you're talking about at most 100 or so MB at the furthest possible extreme.  More modern ones have gigs of onboard memory.

And again, even beyond all of this, we're still talking about a linear increase in the processing complexity of a trivial portion of CPU time.  I still can't see how any of this adds up to anything more than negligible complexity.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

UristWoodie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: June 15, 2015, 10:21:30 am »

As posted above: 
The GPU isn't even the issue at all - it's the CPU, because that's where all the data is being prepared and sent to the GPU for rendering.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: June 15, 2015, 05:47:11 pm »

OK, let's try to get back on topic.

I understand that this thread is kinda relevant to everything, but this discussion would be better placed in the TwbT or Gemset threads, I think.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: June 16, 2015, 11:51:36 am »

Well, there was something I'd noticed, anyway, that may be a lead on why I seem to get crashes...

I'd been leaving PyLNP open across multiple play sessions, since there didn't seem much reason not to.  However, in trying different ways to see if I could prevent crashes, the save-related crashes seemed to stop when I closed out the whole game and PyLNP between ever reload.  Before, I would get inconsistent crashes relating to saving, but not just after a crash, and since I've started doing this, I haven't gotten any crashes on saving. 

It may be a fluke, but it may be worth seeing if other people could test this...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: June 16, 2015, 12:05:20 pm »

Different PyLNP sessions shouldn't affect whether DF crashes at all, unless you're changing settings (or PyLNP is for some reason between sessions).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: June 16, 2015, 04:34:38 pm »

I was crashing several times a day until I turned off the workflow plugin. I haven't had a crash since.
I leave the launcher open all the time.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: June 16, 2015, 06:14:12 pm »

Yeah, I had the game crashing constantly until recently.  I tried testing just loading and saving a backup save over and over with a few different configurations, but nothing crashed, so I gave up.

... Then I load up my normal game, and it crashes while the game is unpaused for the first time in a long while...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: June 17, 2015, 06:39:20 pm »

The latest version of autoresetgrid allows the command "autoresetgrid enable no-opengl" to only activate the script in non-OpenGL print modes (which should avoid flickering issues in cases where Truetype can't be used in the first place).

Also (unrelated): Is there a reason why this thread uses "40_24" instead of "0.40.24", or at least "40.24"? I'm not really sure where this came from, but it's not particularly consistent (a search for "40_24" on this forum returns 13 results, nearly all of which refer to this pack, while "0.40.24" returns 340).

Isn't that a good reason to use it then?
My point is that it's inconsistent with version numbers anywhere else.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: June 17, 2015, 07:22:34 pm »

Nice work with autoresetgrid!

The naming convention follows the filename of DF downloads ("df_40_24_<platform>"), and was easier to write the pack update batch script for.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: June 17, 2015, 07:34:57 pm »

The only reason for underscores there is that it's a convention used in filenames to avoid issues that could arise with multiple periods (which really shouldn't matter on modern systems).

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: June 18, 2015, 12:04:13 pm »

Everything is up to date and still getting the error. Any tips?
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: June 18, 2015, 12:08:07 pm »

Does it work without TwbT?

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: June 18, 2015, 12:34:14 pm »

yes :(
Edit: I think my drivers are toooo much updated and df can't handle the new versions I dunno.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:56:02 pm by pondicherry »
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: June 18, 2015, 01:45:41 pm »

So... looking at the Modest Mod thread, & as a result the Phoebus tileset thread, I gather Phoebus alters more than just the graphics (I've been using it since approximately my 3rd game of DF2010, because whatever I'd been using before that [Mayday?] apparently added extra cooking recipes).

As such, may I ask which Starter Pack tileset(s) change(s) only the graphics? or at least make the fewest extra changes?
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 385