Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4126289 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack
« Reply #4185 on: March 03, 2017, 05:39:34 pm »

The starter pack launcher isn't launching for me.  Do I need to do something more with it? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #4186 on: March 04, 2017, 01:50:50 pm »

No. 64 bit basically only allows you to have more stuff in memory without crashing, such as a 16*16 embark (and thus dying of FPS death earlier).

Not 'no', 'it depends heavily on if RAM was bottlenecking you before or not.'
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Dainz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: March 04, 2017, 01:56:22 pm »

The starter pack launcher isn't launching for me.  Do I need to do something more with it? 

Try running it as admin!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: March 04, 2017, 02:01:41 pm »

Try running it as admin!

I did, still nothing.  I'm on 64-bit windows. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: March 04, 2017, 03:00:05 pm »

No. 64 bit basically only allows you to have more stuff in memory without crashing, such as a 16*16 embark (and thus dying of FPS death earlier).

Well, if you didn't have enough physical RAM before, a 64 bit executable won't give you more and I doubt a 64 bit executable threshing due to using the HD for virtual memory will be faster than a 32 bit one doing the same, and if you ran out of addressable RAM it will allow you to run rather than crash, but in other cases the difference is likely to be rather small. I'm not aware of anyone having performed a rigorous comparison between the versions, though.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: March 04, 2017, 03:41:45 pm »

Is DFHack Autolabor a decent alternative?
Depends. If you are really diligent about removing shops you don't want used, autolabor works pretty well. If you, like me, leave mason shops littering pretty much everywhere you mine, that silly manager will split work orders up and almost always send them to the absolute worst workshop, even if you really wanted it all sent to one or maybe two workshops.

My midgame is usually just Manipulator and the basic game's interface. If the check-marks applied to assigning labors, and not just nicknames, I don't think I'd have any real complaints.

I tend to have a dedicated area with 2 of each workshop type after the first few seasons.  I'll have to give it a go.  Is the performance boost significant with 64 bit?
Might work fine.

I'd mention that for me, anyway, it ends up with a lot of "jack of all trades, master of none". I don't know how the priority system works. I'm confident I could make it work better if I understood it. I think a lot of the "problems" I'm seeing are caused by the flurry of small-quantity work orders the manager spawns every day, which are not in the same sequence that the dwarves became idle.

It's not the oldest labor, but neither is it necessarily the best match for the newly-idle dwarf. If the newly-idle guy is a master carpenter, he might be assigned to be a cook or whatever autolabor thinks is the highest priority at the moment, and the master cook, who had been assigned to make rock mugs because the craftdwarves had all been hauling wood, might be sent to the carpenter's shop as soon as he's done.

I find autolabor is actually best suited to the early- to mid-game when it's important to minimize idling, and manipulator/therapist best for later when you prefer to be choosing the level of quality you are producing.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: March 04, 2017, 07:34:33 pm »

Still deciding whether I should play the starter pack at 43.05... Or wait for the update... If it's got enough awesome stuff I'll suffer the ACII...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: March 04, 2017, 09:19:54 pm »

Something is seriously wrong with the download link now. It leads to a "file not found", and if you take off the extension and go to http://dffd.wimbli.com/, it leads to a site for a women's club about judaism or something. Where is the new version, since the one on http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11309 also links to the judaism site for the new one.

edit: okay I fixed it by combining the two links. You should link to http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622 instead of http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:27:08 pm by Thorik »
I like sushi.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: March 04, 2017, 09:44:10 pm »

Something is seriously wrong with the download link now.
Gah.  I fixed most of the links a while ago, but missed the little one in the instructions.  Thanks.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Rusty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: March 05, 2017, 05:26:20 pm »

I found a big problem with the in game manager.  When trying to set a material condition, the available materials only go as far as "Moth" and then everything after that is "Unknown Material."  Trying to manually search for "pig iron" as a material condition for making pig iron bars causes the game to crash every time.   I just don't know if that is a problem with DF, the starter pack, DFHack, the applied graphics pack (Meph), or what.  Once I get some time I'm going to download the base game and see if its a problem there too.  Anyone else have this problem?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: March 05, 2017, 06:30:02 pm »

I guess you're subjected to this DF bug http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9954.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: March 05, 2017, 06:46:29 pm »

Well, if you didn't have enough physical RAM before, a 64 bit executable won't give you more and I doubt a 64 bit executable threshing due to using the HD for virtual memory will be faster than a 32 bit one doing the same, and if you ran out of addressable RAM it will allow you to run rather than crash, but in other cases the difference is likely to be rather small. I'm not aware of anyone having performed a rigorous comparison between the versions, though.
I'm not aware of any rigorous testing either, but from causal reports, the 64 bit version did appear noticeably faster, at least to some people. The explanation for this likely has to do with the fact that the 64 bit version also updated the compiler, allowing better optimization. Lesser causes would include support of more SIMD and other new instructions, and having more registers.

apoc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: March 06, 2017, 02:23:50 am »

the new pack works great but i cannot get my dwarfs to haul water, every time i manually add the labour the autolabour adjusts it back to off. not a massive issue but a pain in some instances.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: March 06, 2017, 05:02:05 pm »

the new pack works great but i cannot get my dwarfs to haul water, every time i manually add the labour the autolabour adjusts it back to off. not a massive issue but a pain in some instances.
Right. You either get to set labor or use autolabor. Not both. Autolabor will overwrite whatever you do, so if you have that enabled, there's no point to any of the labor allocation screens or utilities.

apoc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: March 06, 2017, 05:46:33 pm »

then how do i get my pond filled? i get all idle and no-one grabs the buckets and starts filling if left on auto. Have marked the areas for the pond and water correctly but the autolabour never allocates it.
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 385