Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 413191 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game (Ep.42)
« Reply #1230 on: September 18, 2013, 07:03:49 pm »

Actually, I'm pretty curious. I also like finding out mindblowing stuff, hence the metaphysical shenanigans.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: September 18, 2013, 07:16:46 pm »

Heh, yeah by "we" I really mean me.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: September 18, 2013, 07:28:17 pm »

metaphysical shenanigans.

Vivec mentioned CHIM. That's be an interesting road to go down, if dangerous. It's especially dangerous since the largest source in-universe on CHIM is Vivec, who isn't exactly reliable. I mean, it exists, and it's been used to do huge things (Cyrodiil and Vivec's past were both changed in their entirety by it), but Vivec's explanations of it and how it's attained are difficult to trust in their entirety.

Michael, how well do you know the 36 sermons of Vivec? If you are the Nerevarine, after all, then they are written for you. If you don't know them that well, it'd be good to study a bit.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: September 18, 2013, 09:00:41 pm »

Nice, we got channeling. ...We should probably apologize to that one guy, Caius or something or another. I mean, we did kinda take an easy job then kinda been gone for much longer than expected, but we can at least report that it is indeed finished.

If we're going for weapons, I suggest a shield. Spears are nice but as shown many times, the range kinda hampers us. Shields require some training to use, but really when someone's swinging a sharpened metal stick at you, you kinda want to have that hit more metal, not flesh. Maybe something a bit more versatile than a spear, for instance (funny coming from me as I loath the prevalence of the damn things) a sword? If used right, a sword can be used as a sharp stabbing implement, or a smashing implement. Of course this requires some knowledge, and the assumption that people in Morrowind don't make their swords funny. The intense weight on the things aid in the bludgeoning aspect of it though.

Of course magic takes prevalence, this is if we find ourselves with extra cash and wanting something better for melee.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: September 18, 2013, 09:18:02 pm »

Compiled martial knowledge says that a short spear, (or even better, a blade on a stick), is one of the most versatile weapons. It can stab with great leverage, and acts like a metal quarterstaff. And spears in Morrowind are just that: short for spears. Put the models next to each other in the CS. Most of them are about as long as an Imperial is tall, or shorter; and a steel longsword is almost as long as an Imperial is tall, too. We've got a spear to fight and keep enemies at arm's length, and a short blade for when we can't get them out of our face. We're not going for weapons right now; we've already got them.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: September 18, 2013, 09:50:21 pm »

Never said to get a bastard sword, that would simply cause the same problems we have right now. I was meaning more like a typical sword, an arming sword or something akin. The spear still brings in spatial problems, such as when your opponent is in tight corridors, or too near you, or disrupts a hand of yours. You can attempt a stab closer to yourself with a short spear, but that still leaves you the problem of needing to build up momentum and the assumption that you have space behind you for the drawback.

The need to actively drop and draw another weapon if in tighter quarters is a concerning one in the midst of combat, versatility of strikes is nice but versatility of range is just as important, is it not? The spear has great versatility, I don't question this nor try to hide this, but I simply state that the sword has a similar range of strikes with the added benefits of being able to be used in closer quarters, at least to a greater degree than a spear.

But this is all besides the point I suppose, I've already stated to prioritize magic above all.

Parcae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: September 18, 2013, 09:54:06 pm »

Weapons have to be for the future. Our first priority, now that we've finally stumbled across someone who'll buy our alchemy products, has to be to buy a whole bunch of Poison ingredients, borrow (not steal) a set of Mages' Guild alchemy equipment, and grind the hell out of our alchemy skill until we have enough money to buy training in a bunch of magic schools. And yeah, we should complete the Caius mission and get alcohol for Creeper, both for the sake of politeness. Hopefully, along the road, we'll level up our Intelligence, as well as eventually leveling up Alchemy enough to discern the second property of items. That would be HUGELY helpful, especially if we get lucky and can make something like Restore Magicka from cheap ingredients.

We need a lot of money - up to 3.5k for the schools, plus more for spells. Alchemy seems like to way to get it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: September 18, 2013, 10:00:09 pm »

And just for the sake of saying it, if you enter the tight corridor with the spear in front of you, anything else in front of you has to go through the spear to get to you. And there are no bastard swords or arming swords in Morrowind, just short ones and long ones. And we've got an asian-style shortsword. Well, more like a REALLY big knife, but you get the idea.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: September 18, 2013, 10:34:48 pm »

I called the longsword a bastard sword because of its length, something that long (assuming that Imperials are five to six feet that is) would typically be a bastard sword to be more specific. One could still call it a longsword though, in a sense. A short sword would probably be better for this pursuit then, although you lose some functionality and range. ...Depending on how long it is, the short sword may very well actually be longer than a regular one. I more wonder what the heck they use in their metals to make them so damn heavy? Or is the gravity just more intense there, and Michael just more used to a lesser one thus his lower strength?

Also, I agree with what Parcae said, and hope that it works out fine. Mostly in a sense that we actually do get an alchemy set by the guild, but I'm skeptical that it would be that easy.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:40:54 pm by Xanmyral »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: September 18, 2013, 10:45:03 pm »

Michael is apparently just that weak. And stuff does seem to weigh slightly more here, too.

We've got a sword/knife, we've got a spear. Maybe Micheal could hold the knife handle and the spear haft with the same hand, to approximate how fast PCs can change weapons.

The_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: September 18, 2013, 10:54:16 pm »

All of this talk of weapons is fairly pointless for the long term. Since Michael is so magically oriented, it would be better to just conjure up a weapon when he needs one, although his focus right now should be on learning some spells to use instead of a weapon. The only reason that I see to even carry a sword in the long run is in case he runs out of magicka or we find/make something with a great enchantment, and in that case a (short) sword is way better than a spear because of the weight differential. For the short term, we can stick with what he currently is gaining skill in, the tanto.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: September 18, 2013, 10:56:17 pm »

We've already been over this. 2 weapons for when we can't use magic, switch to one when the other doesn't work.

Parcae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: September 18, 2013, 11:04:03 pm »

hope that it works out fine. Mostly in a sense that we actually do get an alchemy set by the guild, but I'm skeptical that it would be that easy.

I suspect that it will be exactly that easy. Firstly, I'm pretty sure we've already borrowed guild property once. Secondly, I'm pretty sure that LordBucket is getting tired of GMing a game of Hobo: the Malingering.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: September 18, 2013, 11:13:18 pm »

But more importantly, there are often alchemy sets on shelves that do not clearly belong to one person. Some of them are likely guild property, not that of any member. Although, we've probably found a good source of money: I just want to stress that we bring Creeper a drink every time we sell to him, so he doesn't feel like we're just another adventurer taking advantage.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: September 19, 2013, 01:13:20 am »

Whoa, forum posts, yay! More posts in the past ~12 hours than the previous week and almost a half.

Nice to see the suggestion posts pick up. :)

Nice. Read through the entire thing over the last few days. This is seriously awesome. Serious kudos to you LordBucket.

Thank you, guys. Thank you. Big games like this live and die on player feedback.

Couple clarifications:

try to get training in a school

You don't immediately have funds for training, but once you do...which school? It's entirely possible that you might have to pick one at a time to learn. Anyone who's posting suggestions to learn magic, I recommend you prioritize which school(s) you want to learn.

And get the spear fixed

You don't have a spear right now. It was left in Ald'rhun in Episode 40 part 2. You set it down on the ground while using alchemy tools, and it didn't come with you when you were recall-swapped. You have a steel tanto at Caius' house, and the cruel viperblade on you.

I suggest a shield

At present, you're using the chitin shield you picked up, also in the tomb from Episode 40 part 2.

All of this talk of weapons is fairly pointless

Up to you, but if you're going to re-debate weapons, for reference, Michael gave a comparison of Spears vs Shortblades from his point of view in Episode 36 part 1
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 161