Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 413220 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game Ep.45
« Reply #1350 on: January 03, 2014, 08:28:30 pm »

We're Mage's guild. They would kill us if they could get away with it.

Is there a rowboat we can rent? If all else fails, stand on a plank, row with a board.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: January 03, 2014, 08:55:58 pm »

Well, that's a lot of useful information.

The swiftswim+waterbreathing combo is tempting, but I doubt it's feasible. Our speed and athletics are probably so bad that we still have no hope of outrunning slaughterfish, our everything else is so bad that we have no hope of fighting them, and as mentioned it might be harder to navigate like that.

Those invisibility scrolls sound really, really nice. A full minute? Assuming we've got anything else to help us move quickly with, 60 seconds should be more than enough time to get us out of any trouble we're likely to have on this journey.

...unless we get lost.

Anyway, scrolls seem to be the way to go. My recommendation is:

-Buy one of those invis scrolls.
-Inquire about the enchanter making a scroll for us. It might be a lot cheaper than producing a full magic item. Note that we should probably save our fancy, high-class paper for a better use, and just buy a sheet of normal stuff for a gold or whatever it goes for.
-If it isn't (which since we're already here probably means checking the price first, then checking the enchanter, then possibly coming back) find someone with a scroll of water walking and a potion of levitate.

Assuming we can actually find everything we need, that'd give us four minutes of water walking, levitation, and a near-guaranteed way out if we run into trouble. Cost will likely be most of what we have, however; invis is 120, water walking is worth 125 but the vendor will hate us (unless we can get it custom-enchanted for less, which makes at least some sense), and levitate should be under 50 but again hate.

There's a lot of other possible options we have, but we do want to deal with this relatively quickly, and I'm concerned not having the invis will result in us being eaten alive by ravenous cliff racers.

We're Mage's guild. They would kill us if they could get away with it.

Is there a rowboat we can rent? If all else fails, stand on a plank, row with a board.
This might be a better, cheaper option, but it won't save us from cliff racers and I suspect it'll turn out that nobody uses rowboats for the following reasons so there's none for sale or rent. Floating debris will probably be even scarcer.

...hey, you know what I just realized? If we knew any routes that took us near Tel Fyr, we could theoretically book passage and then just jump ship. Wouldn't be perfect and I don't think it's feasible in this case (especially since I'm not sure there's any canon way to know which route boat captains are teleporting you over), but in theory it's there.

Actually, just checked a map. None of those destinations make sense to pass near Tel Fyr; in fact, no destinations at all do except Tel Uvirith, the player manor for if you join House Telvanni.

So, amusing thought, but not gonna happen unless we bribe the guy to "take the scenic route." Which, given that he doesn't like us...
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: January 03, 2014, 09:00:18 pm »

No matter what we do, we should buy some type of intervention scroll for if things go bad.

At least that way, regardless of how poorly our plan goes, there's a decent way out.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: January 03, 2014, 09:01:24 pm »

Don't we already have one?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: January 03, 2014, 09:05:29 pm »

Aren't we on sort of a really tight time deadline as well?

How long would it take us to run there from here? We might just want to steal a boat if it's really that tight... we might not have much choice at this point unfortunately.

The key is to get there before clover dies, right?

In fact, you should probably Ask the boatman about Clover. If he recognizes her, tell him her survival is at stake. If he seems sympathetic, let him know that we need to reach her to save her.

If she took the boat to get there, he must like her better than us, and if she didn't take the boat, well...

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: January 03, 2014, 09:10:04 pm »

I didn't see any scroll doing a quick glance over the inventory.

I doubt she took the boat but it could be worth a shot.

We could tell the boat person that we have information about corpus disease and we know about the corpus research going on down there and would like to share what we know with the resident wizard.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: January 03, 2014, 09:16:01 pm »

I don't see it in our inventory, but we should. Unless that Legion battlemage just handed us some paper to make us feel better about ourselves, or something.

Aren't we on sort of a really tight time deadline as well?

How long would it take us to run there from here? We might just want to steal a boat if it's really that tight... we might not have much choice at this point unfortunately.
It doesn't look far on the map, but I have no real recollection of time. Certainly it shouldn't be more than a few minutes, especially if we're walking rather than swimming.

The issue I have with stealing a boat is our complete lack of ability in anything that would enable boat-stealing. We can't threaten, we're not sneaky, nobody likes or trusts us... ability to pay a fine when we do get caught aside, I really don't see how we'd pull it off.

And then if we did, of course, there's our weak arms trying to row or our nonexistent navigational knowledge trying to steer, and cliff racers. Always cliff racers.

The key is to get there before clover dies, right?

In fact, you should probably Ask the boatman about Clover. If he recognizes her, tell him her survival is at stake. If he seems sympathetic, let him know that we need to reach her to save her.

If she took the boat to get there, he must like her better than us, and if she didn't take the boat, well...
This seems unlikely to the point of being a waste to time to me. We know she's part of the mages guild (which doesn't preclude her being Telvanni as well and/or well-liked in spite of that, but it is a bad start) and is probably pretty good at being a mage. It's far more likely she flew/waterwalked/swam herself and that the boatman doesn't care and isn't going to take our word for it anyway.

I doubt she took the boat but it could be worth a shot.

We could tell the boat person that we have information about corpus disease and we know about the corpus research going on down there and would like to share what we know with the resident wizard.
This might be more plausible, but again relies on him caring about corprus in the slightest and believing us. Neither's a particularly good wager in my opinion.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: January 03, 2014, 09:20:13 pm »

I assume the reason no one goes there without a permit is because they don't want to risk corprus escaping. People are scared shitless of that. No average s'wit is going near there without extreme coercion.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: January 03, 2014, 09:58:40 pm »

divine intervention scroll
I don't see it in our inventory, but we should. Unless that Legion battlemage just handed us
some paper to make us feel better about ourselves, or something.

Accouting error. Fixed. You used the scroll Strillian gave you in Episode 41 to escape from the Ashlanders you encountered on the road after you were recall-swapped into the tomb, but then you bought a new one from Creeper in Episode 42, part 2.

So yes, you do have a divine intervention scroll.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: January 03, 2014, 10:09:26 pm »

Well, either way we've still got to get ourselves some levitation before we strike out. How much would it cost for a levitation enchantment? Even like a 10 second one...

Also, how long does it take artifacts to recharge and stuff? Only enchantments I ever bothered with were permanent effect ones. :P

Another note - remember that guild hall with all the stuff in it? Was any of that stuff potentially useful to our little trip here? We'd just be borrowing it - could even lead a note, even say where we are going, because hey, that person might actually be the Nevarine as well!

And mage guild teleportation to grab the stuff is even quicker than running around time and, again, possibly very limited for time right now.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: January 04, 2014, 05:30:26 am »

Well, either way we've still got to get ourselves some levitation before we strike out. How much would it cost for a levitation enchantment? Even like a 10 second one...
I can't imagine levitation is cheaper than water walking. Could be.

I can imagine 10 seconds is less than a third of 30 seconds in cost, but remember there's magnitude to worry about with levitation as well. I have no idea how much it costs in the first place, though, so checking on this sounds like a good idea also.

Also, how long does it take artifacts to recharge and stuff? Only enchantments I ever bothered with were permanent effect ones. :P
I don't remember the specifics either, but it's relatively quick. Every battle at the very least, and often reasonable to expect multiple times per battle, as I recall.

Though again, there's the possibility of mods or other shenanigans.

Another note - remember that guild hall with all the stuff in it? Was any of that stuff potentially useful to our little trip here? We'd just be borrowing it - could even lead a note, even say where we are going, because hey, that person might actually be the Nevarine as well!

And mage guild teleportation to grab the stuff is even quicker than running around time and, again, possibly very limited for time right now.
I'd rather not. That's another twenty gold to rifle through the belongings of what is probably a very dangerous individual hoping they've stuffed the right scroll in some random chest.

Plus our notes haven't really been working out, and Sexy is probably the second last person we're likely to succeed with only because of Oneshot back in Balmora.

Parcae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: January 04, 2014, 12:26:05 pm »

Hi again! Nice to see this has updated.

Anyway, I'm going to say what I said the last time:

1. Go to the place with all the stuff
2. Steal the crap out of that stuff
3. Sell the stuff
4. Get other stuff to go where we need to go

Yes, we're taking a risk that Clover dies or becomes the Nerevarine before we get back, but we've fucked up pretty badly and everything we do is a risk at this point. There's also a chance the owner of the stuff might kill us, but that requires 1. that they're there when we are, 2. that we can't confuse them by shouting something no NPC would say ("HEY SO THURSDAY'S EPISODE OF COMMUNITY WAS PRETTY GOOD"), 3. that the game saves at the wrong time so we can't come back to life. That's better odds than anything else we can do, I think.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: January 04, 2014, 01:40:53 pm »

Don't forget the possible occurrence of the Thieves guild breaking our legs. And arms. And face, probably, since they said they'd kill us last I recall.

Parcae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: January 04, 2014, 01:45:51 pm »

Yes, but if we learn magic, we can murder them right back. Besides, I'm not sure if stealing from PCs really counts as stealing in the traditional sense.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: January 04, 2014, 02:04:28 pm »

There's no difference as far as the Thieve's Guild is concerned. If we do sell, just make sure to sell to their fences. But in this case, I do not recommend stealing anything magical. The Telvanni are not to be trifled with.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 161