Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 413303 times)

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game Ep.55
« Reply #1755 on: April 06, 2014, 01:25:05 pm »

Ponies...

As for the Seyda Neen sleeping thing, sometimes I forget we are in the legion. I bet if we showed up at the Census and Excise office and told them we are on special assignment, they would let us use the bed in the basement.
+1
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: April 06, 2014, 07:16:08 pm »

As for the Seyda Neen sleeping thing, sometimes I forget we are in the legion. I bet if we showed up at the Census and Excise office and told them we are on special assignment, they would let us use the bed in the basement.

This is a good point for another reason. See if we can't get any missions from the Legion.

That is TOTALLY a thing we should be doing.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: April 06, 2014, 07:59:19 pm »

This is a good point for another reason. See if we can't get any missions from the Legion.

That is TOTALLY a thing we should be doing.

+1
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: April 06, 2014, 08:17:10 pm »

The Legion doesn't work that way. It's the military. You're on detached duty. If the Legion had something they wanted done, they have an army on hand to do it. Because they're the army.

Remember that you're a bottom rank recruit who was only excused from guard duty because Caius pulled strings. You asking for missions would be like somebody working in a menial position at a large company with lots of menial worker, taking a leave of absence then asking to be hired as a contractor while on leave. If you go back asking for duties, they'll probably be happy to put you back on the duty roster. Do you really want to do that?

They do offer bounties on known criminals they've been unable to catch, if you want to ask about that.  However, remember that Vibius was not allowed to collect the bounty on the Processus' murderer back in Seyda Neen:

: "Guards are ineligible for rewards. It creates a conflict of interest, since they serve as judge, jury and occasionally as executioner. Wouldn't want them to be tempted to collect on just anyone.""

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: April 06, 2014, 09:20:28 pm »

Fair enough. In that case, we should probably practice destruction for awhile, or find a trainer. How much gold have we got left?
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: April 06, 2014, 09:27:31 pm »

Just shy of 200. There are far better uses for it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: April 06, 2014, 10:14:44 pm »

I clearly did not understand what it meant to be on "detached duty" - I thought that was the same situation Awesomicus was in. Also, even as legionairres, we aren't guards, so that's a bit... weird.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: April 07, 2014, 12:11:41 am »

Basically, we're free to act as we judge best to help the Empire's interests, and if we do anything against the Legion we're liable for treason.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: April 07, 2014, 12:52:46 am »

Just finished reading this entire thread.  Starting to understand why people like Morrowind so much, there's an interesting world to play with.  And I think LordBucket has done a superb job bringing it to life, in the directions that the players actually explored.

Here's an observation, though, for what it's worth: With Michael so underpowered, and any kind of power up slow and expensive, he's effectively railroaded to stay in civilized areas and means of transport.  His only asset is his knowledge of the game, which becomes more obsolete every game day, and which he has to be careful not to share too much.  If I was playing this forum game, I'd wonder exactly how I was supposed to make a difference in the world.

To be honest, after reading the whole thread, it seems clear to me that Michael was not meant to power up, especially considering the GM's desired time scale: he was meant I think to use his knowledge of the game to track and influence events, to maybe clue in one side or the others to better change their fate.

It seems obvious to me also that since the power curve is just too steep for Michael to be a PC-style player, he wasn't meant to be one, and training his skills is wasting time.  If you were sent back to WWII, would you waste your time becoming a soldier, tank commander, or pilot; or would you use your knowledge of Axis strategy, tactics, and force arrangement to help the Allies crush them years earlier, as the most awesome intelligence asset ever? The closest this thread came to this was after the genocide at Khuul, which to me is the high point of Michael's involvement with what seems to me the intended story.
Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilîton kezkďg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthîkut fragments

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: April 07, 2014, 01:18:29 am »

[snip]

To me it seems that, since Michael has stats just like and other character, he can be leveled up with equal efficacy. However, LordBucket's insistence on things like 'telling a story' and 'advancing the plot' keeps getting in the way of some quality level-grinding, we're forced to do things like 'use our brains'.

Pff. Clearly LordBucket doesn't know how to videogames.

That said, I agree that we should try use influence instead of raw power. Sadly, Michael's speechcraft is crap.

Ignoring the fact that his speechcraft is crap, who should we try and contact? Our current list is, to the best of my knowledge: Azura, any PC, and... I'm sure there are more people. Help me out here.

Also, we can passively grind as we go along. It's not like he needs magicka reserves for anything, and fighting happens. We just need to make sure our potions stay stocked.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: April 07, 2014, 01:22:29 am »

Actually, isn't speechcraft one of our highest skills?

EDIT: Yep, at 21 it's higher than all our combat skills except light armor (22)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:24:43 am by HugoLuman »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: April 07, 2014, 01:49:06 pm »

As we have found out, our knowledge is useless as nobody in a position of power who could actually do anything useful with it is willing to listen to the ramblings of a poor, low skill, mad outsider. We need a powerful and open minded ally to manage that, and short of.... erm, Aryon or Diviath Fyr, there aren't really any. I suppose we could always try our luck with the gods, but that would probably end badly, other than Azura, but contacting her would be a major pain in the ass at this stage.
This is a blank sig.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: April 07, 2014, 03:02:37 pm »

It got us into the Blades, didn't it? We know things that most people don't. True, some things are different in this version, but others are not. We know a lot of "If X then Y", the trick is finding which things have had a great big Z thrown into them.

I'm starting to hear:
"How naive can you be? Michael can't skill up, he's too weak to bother."
"How naive can you be? Our knowledge is completely useless, Michael is a weak grunt who's not meant to do anything."
etc.

Don't be defeatist. If Michael was meant to be completely useless and never get stronger, then we wouldn't have bothered with this game in the first place, because it would be doomed to an unsatisfying failure. I know this is metagaming, but if our metagame becomes "Michael is worthless so we shouldn't bother pressing advantages" then we're creating a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: April 07, 2014, 04:21:26 pm »

It isn't like Michael won't want to learn how to handle magic effectively, especially after spending so much time and effort to get there. Even just practicing on the road, or on the hours long silt strider/boat trips we take will get him somewhere while we do other things.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: April 07, 2014, 05:11:33 pm »

Let's get some productive suggestions, then. Here's my best plan (so, probably not all that good of a plan on an absolute scale):

Get teleported back to Sadrith Mora. From there we'll be roughly equidistant from Tel Vos and Azura's shrine. I personally would like to hit up Azura's shrine first, but there's a boat that travels between Sadrith Mora and Vos, which would certainly be convenient to drop in and speak with Aryon.

Take the boat from Sadrith Mora to Vos and trek west to Tel Vos. Try and get an audience with Master Aryon. And, of course, repeatedly blow your magicka on your only destruction spell.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:35:37 am by Araph »
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 161