Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 526390 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3210 on: June 03, 2017, 10:55:41 am »

Probably? What's going wrong?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: June 03, 2017, 12:04:29 pm »

As the junior, mostly-content-but-some-code member of the NationGen dev team (such as it were), what Frumple said. More info is needed, but this is actually an excellent place to ask questions about it.

[Without more information, the most common problems I've seen over the years are Java Runtime Environment problems, and cases where the archive was unpacked such that the folder structure wasn't maintained.]

(Sidenote: update coming sometime, I swear.)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 11:34:29 am by E. Albright »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: June 04, 2017, 09:35:09 am »

Has anyone ever messed with the world settings and lowered the amount and frequency of gold/magic sites/resources/etc. and make research harder in an attempt to make magic and elite units more powerful/valuable? Because I think I'm getting sick of a late game where half the army is spammed summon units.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: June 04, 2017, 11:36:14 am »

I've seen it, yes... I suspect it would favor blood nations, though; while blood hunting scales with site frequency, it can also be scaled up to arbitrarily high levels.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: June 04, 2017, 04:15:43 pm »

Yeah, some folks definitely play like that. I don't think terribly many, since by and large it slows the (already a significant length, with most multiplayer setups) game down by a fairly significant margin, but some people do it. Probably could poke around the usual places elsewhere online and see if anyone's trying to organize for a game like that.
Ask not!
Ask!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: June 04, 2017, 04:46:45 pm »

Yeah, some folks definitely play like that. I don't think terribly many, since by and large it slows the (already a significant length, with most multiplayer setups) game down by a fairly significant margin, but some people do it. Probably could poke around the usual places elsewhere online and see if anyone's trying to organize for a game like that.
I don't know if it would lengthen the game, as the game takes so long because you have so much potential with all those gems you get that everyone spams hundreds of units in dozens of castles and you have to slowly grind your way through sieges.

With fewer units and fortresses the game could very well go faster.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: June 04, 2017, 06:39:03 pm »

Not least because MA Ulm would be able to happily just chew through everything without fear of repercussion.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: June 04, 2017, 07:51:59 pm »

Nah, lower sites and slower research usually has a fairly depressive effect on speed. Less resources, harder to expand (because you don't have the right spells or units earlier, etc.), less means to break particular holdouts or tip a stalemate one way or another, all that sort of stuff. Less mobility stuff, too. You hit critical mass or breakpoints in capability further down the line, spend more time shuttling things around, so on and so forth.

Conceptually not having summoning spam could speed things up, but it... usually doesn't quite work that way, least as far as I've noticed from hearing folks talk about those kinds of games.

That said, if summoning masses are you primary concern, that would be fairly trivial to mod so they're more expensive or otherwise limited. Not something you could just tweak in the options, but particularly if you were setting it up for a slate of specific nations it wouldn't really take all that much effort. Double/triple/quadruple costs, want to say you could tweak things so there's a hard cap on specific spells (though also pretty sure that would take a fair bit more effort), stuff like that. Feeling really frisky you can do some neat stuff with items or units, remove summoning spells entirely (or limited to stuff like the elemental royalty) and have that aspect of the game entirely limited to equipment and the occasional indie or national.
Ask not!
Ask!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: June 04, 2017, 09:28:03 pm »

Not least because MA Ulm would be able to happily just chew through everything without fear of repercussion.
For a game like that, I'd recommend LA since the nations are a bit more designed to fit that kind of paradigm.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: June 14, 2017, 09:37:50 pm »

So I am playing EA Xibalba with Story events on, and found something called "The first gate" on turn 10 or so. Now at first I thought this would be awesome, seeing as how Xibalba has this whole "4 souls" idea going and are a blood nation. Turns out this magic site is a death trap that will keep spawning demon armies. From what I've seen, you can use a level 4 blood mage to do something, but I have no idea what that thing is. What is my best course of action here? Have everyone blood hunt and empower a guy to level 4 blood? What will this accomplish?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: June 14, 2017, 11:09:30 pm »

I've never come across the First Gate, myself, but it's pretty bad mojo. 

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: June 17, 2017, 12:42:59 pm »

I've seen it, yes... I suspect it would favor blood nations, though; while blood hunting scales with site frequency, it can also be scaled up to arbitrarily high levels.

I just saw a tip on the loading screen and thought I should mention it. Lower site frequency makes blood hunting harder.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: June 17, 2017, 12:45:38 pm »

Harder, but considering the way blood economy works I can't see it doing more than just delaying the critical mass.
Shoes...

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: June 17, 2017, 02:33:05 pm »

Sites = 0, 2 years of B1 hunting in the capital with patrollers: 17 slaves -> 0.7 slaves/turn
Sites = 75, 2 years of B1 hunting in the capital with patrollers: 104 slaves -> 4.3 slaves/turn

Sites = 0, 2 years of B2 hunting in the capital with patrollers: 48 slaves -> 2 slaves/turn
Sites = 75, 2 years of B2 hunting in the capital with patrollers: 211 slaves -> 8.8 slaves/turn

Sites = 0, 2 years of B3 hunting in the capital with patrollers: 60 slaves -> 2.5 slaves/turn
Sites = 75, 2 years of B3 hunting in the capital with patrollers: 280 slaves -> 11.7 slaves/turn

N = 24, so actually slightly below the bare minimum to be statistically significant, but it's not meant to be rigorous. B2 is probably most relevant (B1 + rod). There are a LOT more failed hunts at lower site levels.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: June 20, 2017, 01:18:02 am »

N = 24
You could lump together the three B path treatments if you analyze the samples as paired, which would give you N=74. Some might argue that you should, because if you consider that your hunting and growth/death are influencing province population, time is potentially also pretty relevant.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 236