Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 499189 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #405 on: July 06, 2013, 02:43:09 am »

Hehe, I'd like a modding turn.

It was only a matter of time. BTW, I call dibs on telekinetic eyeball people.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 06, 2013, 07:41:37 am »

More "scratch" stuff: simple looping bash script to fire-and-forget run in background, plays background music using command line VLC when a creature has recently been mentioned by the game, except when it is mentioned in the context of "creature leather" or "creature bone" or "creature meat". Same method as I assume soundsense has:

Spoiler: /df/simplesoundloop.sh (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: /df/musiclist.txt (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: /df/encountermusic/ (click to show/hide)

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 06, 2013, 08:04:31 am »

Third post in a row, but since they're all on different topics I feel it's clearer this way for everyone. Leibowitz, are you sure that cinderwood tree won't again make poor wood-using races make their equipment out of it? This one seems to be available on the surface.

That does seem to be an issue, doesn't it? Silly hippies...ruining my plans for incendiary flora...

I'll fix it.

EDIT: Arena testing has revealed that a fix actually isn't necessary, and cinderwood gear actually must look pretty damn terrifying to people. It ignites at 9000 degrees Urist, which is well below the ignition point of skin...and thus appears not to do any damage to its bearer/wearer. Two halflings armed with cinderwood hatchets killed each other with them first, without even minor melting from holding flaming weapons. I've got another halfling being chased around while wearing full flaming cinderwood chainmail, and he's completely fine. Only issue is that they obscure the battlefield with smoke, but flaming armor and weapons is worth it, to the point that I think I'll add in a metal based on this principal.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 08:24:40 am by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 06, 2013, 08:28:55 am »

It may still be that the AI thinks it's on fire and starts behaving crazy. To test this, you must try it in adventure/fortress mode, as the arena mode AI is completely single-minded about killing the enemy and never flees etc. Furthermore it may lead to excess fun when your starting equipment is made of that and you can't drop it without setting the world on fire. Or your barrels, or buckets, or wheelbarrows are permanently on fire. Or when traders bring you stuff that's made of that particular wood and on fire in their wagon.

It might still be best, even if boring, to make it a reaction to set equipment on fire like that.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 06, 2013, 08:45:01 am »

It seems the fortress mode AI does not consider cinderwood a valid building material  :-\ They won't touch it to put it into wood stockpiles, either.

Verdict: Useless in fort mode, usable as gear without killing anyone (unlike blazewood) in combat. Enemies that show up in the stuff would be the only source of flaming wooden stuff - cold, incendiary goblinite. Since I am not entirely unbiased here - I want my creation to be used - I leave it up to the thread whether or not this is acceptable.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 06, 2013, 08:52:21 am »

Question: is it possible for equipment other than enemy equipment to be made of cinderwood? Namely:

1) Your starting gear and items
2) Trader items (it's actually a huge problem if they burn away or vaporize their contents or the wagon, or scare the merchants)

Regardless of the ignition point I should think once it's on fire it sets to fire temperature and not ignition temperature.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 06, 2013, 09:09:14 am »

I'll check on the issue of embark items, but the six cinderwood logs in the wagon when I tested first didn't cause any harm at all to anything else, or even themselves really since there's no heatdam point.

EDIT: Yeah, you can embark with them, and the tools are unusable. Probably have to cut it, then. I'll just replace it with Leadwood.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:13:33 am by StLeibowitz »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 06, 2013, 09:15:19 am »

I'll check on the issue of embark items, but the six cinderwood logs in the wagon when I tested first didn't cause any harm at all to anything else, or even themselves really since there's no heatdam point.

1. Barrels, filled with liquid, made of the stuff? HF when traders lose all their precious golden salve... if we ever make stuff like that.
2. Bins snip goods snip? snip drop all crafts/insane amounts of silk snip.

Edit: read your edit - K. But there's the alternative of don't make the wood [WOOD] and make it workable by custom reactions instead - thus making it usable in fort mode, but not by civilizations.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 06, 2013, 09:38:25 am »

Ah, if I do that, I'll do it for a flaming metal, and not mere wood :)

Leadwood has taken the place of cinderwood - a tree with a density greater than cinnabar. Seems to work well for hobbit cudgels.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 06, 2013, 11:06:05 am »

Upon testing, it seems that fire mites - cavern hive vermin whose stings actually set you on fire - are not possible, at least not with how I planned it (high fixed temperature, doesn't-enter-blood poison stings that splatter over victim). Disappointing.

Work begun on Spiderlings/Halfspiders/Spider-Centaurs.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 06, 2013, 11:08:09 am »

Try a fireball material emission with cdi range:touchable and verb:stings. Or well... that still gives you the message about being hit by a ball of fire.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 06, 2013, 11:36:35 am »

Yeah. They were more of a secondary goal, really, but it would have been cool.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 06, 2013, 12:36:12 pm »

Is it ok if I take the BFEL play turn? I'll go ahead and start now, but I won't be shocked if you say no.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 06, 2013, 12:43:41 pm »

Pretty sure we were working on a first come, first serve basis. You want to play, play! :)

Spider-Centaur progress...proceeding. They're at the same stage the vespulae were at on first playtest, which is to say Spiderling Uno fell over and suffocated. I can work with that.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 06, 2013, 12:44:11 pm »

Is it ok if I take the BFEL play turn? I'll go ahead and start now, but I won't be shocked if you say no.

Yes, PLEASE. We seriously need someone to do that XD

Pretty sure we were working on a first come, first serve basis. You want to play, play! :)

Spider-Centaur progress...proceeding. They're at the same stage the vespulae were at on first playtest, which is to say Spiderling Uno fell over and suffocated. I can work with that.

What is your problem with creatures that breathe? XD Is it too loud for you? *ragged breathing* "STOP DAT!" *suffocates*
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:46:07 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 261