Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 500644 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2010 on: September 13, 2013, 08:46:31 pm »

In response to this discussion of mythology, cherubim, and Armok, I was personally planning to, even before reading these recent posts, planning to insert some lore into the game during my modding turn. I was planning to create megabeasts and semi-megabeasts that, instead of having a traditional description, would have a biblical-esque quote or an epic poem passage. I felt that that would provide interesting flavor when the beasts arrived.

As for Armok, I personally theorized that, during the creation of one of his worlds, the new gods (modders) that he created rose up and defeated him in a mighty war, during which Armok created the cherubim to aid in his battles. Eventually, Armok was defeated, dethroned, and lost much of his power, resulting in him becoming little more than a lesser spirit. He lives on, however, through his last existing creations: the cherubim. These creatures seek to kill the creations of the new gods and sacrifice their blood to Armok in order to sustain him. I hope that this has resolved any lore-based issues that I have created.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: September 13, 2013, 11:43:10 pm »

Ooh, I like that! Imma see how well the two can be reconciled (since my modding turn isn't complete yet, obviously mine is going to have to give :V)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: September 14, 2013, 12:10:52 am »

I was actually going to suggest that Armok had warred with the other gods before seeing Gnorm's post. I definitely like this idea.

Makes me want to change the description for my Hell Riders though. Maybe, instead of having fallen out of favor with their god (whoever that was), they were servants of Armok who were banished.

Although I feel like that role is filled by the Shades already...
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: September 14, 2013, 12:22:41 am »

My vision on how the new gods came to be is a much more bureaucratic process of a group of grad students at God College getting together, calling themselves a Committee, and filling out an application form for a test universe. None of them have particularly high marks in anything remotely related to the creation and management of a universe, not one has a solid idea of how their underlings worship them, and so over a few cold pizzas and warm beers one night in the dorm they discuss what they want the universe to look like, and how its denizens should properly salve their self-esteem issues.

Then they created the universe, and ran into the completely unforeseen issue of it being completely empty.

After a few false starts, they manage to get the Big Bang to stay Banged and not collapsed back into a singularity (reading more of their textbooks and test prep guides than they've ever had cause to before in the process) and try to create minions. The first attempts of the General Organization and Development Committee (GOD, for short) to make worshippers resulted in beings that spontaneously combusted while desperately trying to end each others' misery. They fiddled around with them a bit to make them less hideously unstable and more longer-lived, and thus GOD created Halflings, Ducks, and Hounds, and then things sort of went downhill from there after somebody started creating lifeforms based entirely off of his myriad tiny unofficial roommates, and the others tried to pull matching horrors out of their varied orifices. The Halflings worship out of absolute terror as they try to enforce some semblance of England's countryside on the chaos, and pray the committee gets deadlocked and doesn't add anything new for a bit. It's notable in the history of religions for being the sole faith in which followers pray fervently for the Gods not to intercede on their behalf.

Essentially, the creation myth is a Universe Requisition Application Form, filled out in triplicate and stained with pizza sauce, and the Garden of Eden was equipped with an automatic fire suppressant system as a necessity for a while. Armok walked in while they were planning one day, declared they needed blood angels, and promptly made a few to look comparatively harmless and insignificant next to the dragons and giant sea scorpions and Tarnish Stalks.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: September 14, 2013, 01:37:46 am »

[...]

Although I feel like that role is filled by the Shades already...
I, personally, assumed that the shades were not the remaining minions of Armok, but rather the essence of them.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: September 14, 2013, 01:40:15 am »

Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

reemer30

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:swag]
    • View Profile

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: September 14, 2013, 08:29:06 am »

We have such a powerful system now, making a little content I had been thinking about was a breeze once I had access to my computer. So here's a new contribution:

Proposition: Trolls.

Description:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Content added:
Trolls - large, green-skinned, long-living, violent, alcohol-dependent civilized but non-playable creatures who live lives of hunting in the forest. Occasionally have peg-legs or only one arm due to their lifestyle. They are heavily armed. Prone to rage and to hunting and killing random animals. Also, 60% of them are bandits. Will be very angry if you cut trees. Long, often greasy hair, dark green skin, eyes in shades of yellow.

Troll mutation: all trolls, including peg-legged and one-armed ones, further mutate (when map is loaded, not in worldgen), with the following probabilities:
10% - troll master. Greatly enhanced strength, agility and endurance
20% - blind troll. Exactly what it says. No eyes.
20% - giant troll. 2x size, 80% speed.
10% - troll midget. 0.5x size, 120% speed.
35% - regular troll. Experiences tooth decay.
5% - madtroll. Attacks all on map.
This means there's 24 different combinations of troll to face, in addition to their choices of weapon.

Night creatures - mutated civilized beings (halflings only for now) who have found their place among the troll hordes. Pale-skinned, otherwise resemble halflings. Have either 8 tentacles for legs or 2 tentacles for arms and a grasping mouth. Fight more violently than halflings. Can either spit blood or vomit poison that causes rot.

Fiends - huge, furry humanoids that have large horns they can gore you with, muzzles, tails and hooves. Can breathe jets of fire (1x/3 days) and cast an evil eye on an enemy (1x/life, causes unconsciousness for 100 days, and after that random mutation, gives custom title of "cursed"). Greatly amplified strength and combat skills. Dark crimson fur, black skin, glowing red or yellow eyes.

Troll items -
Weapons: large hammers, axes and javelins. All weapons have two attacks (hammer: smack from side, smash from above; axe: slash from side, cleave from above; javelin: stab with tip, impale). Axes and javelins also give access to throwing quivered axes and javelins, which the trolls use as weapons.

Armor: hunting capes, loincloths, tribal masks and fancy hats (worn among other things by regular trolls), leather armor and tribal shields (worn by troll warriors)

Misc: food item "x in a jar", instrument: bone kantele and drums, tools: skinning axe, totem, rune amulet, toys: shrunken head. New colors: glowing yellow, glowing red, glowing blue, glowing green.

Civilization: playable in adventure mode. Trolls, night creatures and fiends living together with trolls being the large majority. Greedy, misanthropic, uses evil plants and evil and cave creatures, builds cities in mountains and forests and settles caves. Custom profession titles for warriors. Sends shamans to negotiate tree caps.

As for why these creatures all live together, unlike in the hierarchical or stoning-foreign-things-to-death societies that exist in this world, basically you're free to live among the trolls as you are to live among the trees; they will mostly ignore you if you don't bother them or their forests, but may also randomly attempt to kill you for fun or hunt you if you look weak and tasty, which is why creatures with a choice don't do that.

Raws:

You can also use [INTERACTION:TROLL_TAUNT_HLG] with appropriate parameters to cause them to throw insults and funny remarks at people once those are written.

Arena-tested, errorlog-free, playtesting later.

Edit: properly implemented regenerating muscle
Edit2: troll weapons more balanced. They actually use leather products. Added "primitive" language for trolls (two posts below due to character limit), replacing words with ostensibly more violent ones. Leads to translations sounding weird, however.  Playing as one works fine.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: September 14, 2013, 11:30:44 am »

"PRIMITIVE_HLG" language for trolls.

And their appearance variations.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: September 14, 2013, 01:08:31 pm »

-Quote Pyramid-

While I do like this as well, I feel that it is too silly to be the "official" lore of the worlds.
I'm fine with Armok being a mere interloper, though. If not this, then at least keep that aspect.

@Halfling: As cool as the trolls are, the Treelords are fearsome enough guardians. When one shows up, they are nigh indestructible and raise their elven minions ad infinitum. The reason tree-cap diplomacy isn't a threat currently is because the game doesn't use it unless you fix it with DFhack. Still, we could use an underground civ...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:11:03 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 261