- 0 (0%)
zone 3
- 0 (0%)
zone 4
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 22, 2013, 10:15:59 am

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 39

Author Topic: Old style succession game, Fliermanor Revive. Dream-wings freeze fast.  (Read 49459 times)

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Old style succession game, Fliermanor. (come and watch and take part of!)
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2013, 07:02:59 am »

In my experience, Necromancers are pansies once discovered.  Their undead hordes, though, are another matter...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19244.15

Oh really?
Most necromancers aren't teleporting haxxors.  They're humans and dwarves who often don't wear a lot of armor.

I have yet to meet a necromancer outside of necrothreat. Lets just say I gained a paranoid fear of them... Lets hope they're not as ridiculously overpowered as the haxxors were...
I had a fortress right next to a tower and every season i would be attacked by 2 necromances.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2013, 10:34:28 am »

In my experience, Necromancers are pansies once discovered.  Their undead hordes, though, are another matter...

Oh really?
Most necromancers aren't teleporting haxxors.  They're humans and dwarves who often don't wear a lot of armor.

I have yet to meet a necromancer outside of necrothreat. Lets just say I gained a paranoid fear of them... Lets hope they're not as ridiculously overpowered as the haxxors were...
I had a fortress right next to a tower and every season i would be attacked by 2 necromances.

Same. But in true Dwarf fashion I captured them and used them to train my military. It was only logical.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2013, 11:21:48 am »

Oh really?

My only experience comes from an ambush by three of them in a fort's first year winter.  one of the three necros was flushed out and killed by a random dwarf in the hallways (probably a hunter, could have been anybody though).  The other two got to the refuse stockpile and reanimated it, at which point I locked them in (Stone door, couldn't be breached by Undead), assembled an armed (but unarmored) militia, and sent them in.  The undead were a pain, and got worse when one necromancer was cut to bits: his corpse got a name and then his mangled torso got a separate name for killing something (I think it was a dog, but it might have been a recruit), but ultimately both were put down with minor loss of dwarven life only: at least one recruit, an unfortunate schmuck who got locked in the refuse pile with the necros, maybe one or two other dwarves.

The biggest problem is that there's no way to make progress without killing the necromancer himself: killing zombies while they remain within LoS suppresses them for barely any time at all, and if you sever anything just makes the problem worse.  If you're faced with a lot of undead, you might have to resort to DAS traps or something equally nefarious to thin their ranks before trying to attack.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2013, 05:24:16 pm »

Oh really?

My only experience comes from an ambush by three of them in a fort's first year winter.  one of the three necros was flushed out and killed by a random dwarf in the hallways (probably a hunter, could have been anybody though).  The other two got to the refuse stockpile and reanimated it, at which point I locked them in (Stone door, couldn't be breached by Undead), assembled an armed (but unarmored) militia, and sent them in.  The undead were a pain, and got worse when one necromancer was cut to bits: his corpse got a name and then his mangled torso got a separate name for killing something (I think it was a dog, but it might have been a recruit), but ultimately both were put down with minor loss of dwarven life only: at least one recruit, an unfortunate schmuck who got locked in the refuse pile with the necros, maybe one or two other dwarves.

The biggest problem is that there's no way to make progress without killing the necromancer himself: killing zombies while they remain within LoS suppresses them for barely any time at all, and if you sever anything just makes the problem worse.  If you're faced with a lot of undead, you might have to resort to DAS traps or something equally nefarious to thin their ranks before trying to attack.

In necrothreat, we duck for cover and pray that we don't get destroyed...

And we make a big ass battery of ballistas. Why? Because it works until you miss and kill those firing in front of you. But it works quite well
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2013, 05:52:07 pm »

Unless, of course, the ballistas are on the wrong z level....
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2013, 12:44:06 am »

Unless, of course, the ballistas are on the wrong z level....

Hey... No one noticed my mistake until three people took over after I handed the save over

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2013, 12:16:54 pm »

if snow does not update soon i will pass the turn to highmax.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2013, 09:13:48 pm »

if snow does not update soon i will pass the turn to highmax.

Lets hope that if it comes to that, the necromancer makes his way to another fortress to pillage. hopefully one that's elvish

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2013, 04:37:02 pm »

Whelp I am very disappointed by snow for not even replying or updating in so long, so I have decided to revert the save back to my time and let high max start his turn. So highmax let your turn start!!!!!!!!!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7935]http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7935]http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7935

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2013, 09:16:38 pm »

I'll start as soon as I get it downloaded... Hopefully time paradox happens and we don't have necromancers... But i'll be ready for it anyway :P

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2013, 10:46:47 pm »

Journal of Highmax, Miner
I was taking a stroll outside on a nice stroll on this fine new spring day, storing some stuff in the stockpile when I was approached by danmanthedog, our current expedition leader. He told me he had enough of the whole overseer job and wanted me to fill in for him for a year. He told me that I could still do what I did, which was dig, but I would manage most of the fort as I did so. I was about to tell him no, when he said there would be some salmon and longland beer in it for me. What could I do but not refuse my favorite things? I accepted almost instantly, asking when I should start. He told me now, and ran away dancing as if something glorious had been done. Maybe the idea of someone new taking over excited him? Or perhaps this job is too damn stressful? Nah, its probably that hes having a good day or something.

I took a quick survey of what is going on and I noticed something amiss: first, we have a population of sixteen and not everyone has a bedroom to themselves. Also, we have a shockingly small amount of wood. What are we, elves? get those trees cut on the double! I also noticed we need some nice offices and bedrooms for some of the nobles that will be assisting us. And I found just the spot to place them

And then I go downstairs and notice the large amounts of areas we were told to mine out. I shake my head and cancel the orders. If we're looking for ores, why dig out when we need to dig down? I ordered just that also. And then I noticed: we have a water problem. No water means no washing. No washing means no clean wounds. No clean wounds means infection. Infection means dying. And I don't want to die. So I heard of deep underground deposits of fresh water for us, so I decided that we need to go deeper for that reason as well. I also got ready a great idea to help deal with anyone who doesn't seem friendly enough to us. After I set up some plans, I let the fortress get to work. And what happens? No one does the job smartly.

The next person who says they got nothing to do is going to be put on medical duty. Hopefully there will be no more accidents like this in my time of overseeing. Lucky for me, I don't get to do the honors of being the one to carry snow to the hospital. Lucky for me, I saw someone to become our chief medical dwarf. Unlucky for the cook of course, since he got the honors. As I was about to run downstairs to go do some digging, I heard screams and ran upstairs. I saw that an armadillo corpse just got up and started attacking anything in sight. However, the soldiers were in sight so they got to get some action. They killed the corpse quite easily, but what frightens me is how the hell the thing got back up. I then realized our entire corpse and refuse stockpile is outside. I quickly ordered it to be brought in immediately and that we will deal with the horrible smell as soon as possible.

24th of Grantie, 127:

Nothing came back from the dead. I have our squad of three constantly on patrol for our cause of reanimation. I've been digging out out our noble quarters and I will be soon making my way digging down. I hope fenrir gets back on his feet, this job is a killer. It has also started raining, which is a nice change in this dry and hot weather. We also had a new addition to the outpost:

Cute little baby. hope she grows up strong and healthy so we can have her work hard. Also, some migrants have arrived! This brings our population fo 16 to a total of 42. That's a lot of people. That menas more work! ANd more soldiers. I get a few people to work on my great and brilliant plan as the rest do odd jobs around the outpost

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2013, 07:43:46 am »

Wow poor snow. Whats are the injuries of the badly magma and loam explosion.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 07:45:30 am by danmanthedog »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2013, 10:56:13 am »

Wow poor snow. Whats are the injuries of the badly magma and loam explosion.

Well, excluding what he already healed from, his skull is broken. It said magma for some reason but I really don't know why it said that when it was above ground. Maybe heated loam makes magma and cave ins cause heat? I'm not sure...

Everything else was mostly bruises from what I can tell. I'll be updating later today, I unfortunately, gotta work soon and was checking up on some things on bay12 before I head off, so no update for now :( But expect snow to be in that bed for awhile, the cook insists that throwing corpses away is more important then a wounded dwarf. Also, lots of butchering in our lack of food (only 200 or so units total).

W0lfBane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2013, 02:10:50 pm »

Ah man, i was about to say that my dwarf looks like he hasn't been doing anything at all, but it seems you already have a medical dwarf.  :(

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2013, 02:30:26 pm »

I don't think I have been dorfed yet here? If not, I'd like to be a melee dwarf if possible.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 39