Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256068 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: 101 Uses For Potatoes and Vortexes Thereof
« Reply #1275 on: April 13, 2014, 01:08:45 pm »

"Yes. It was an accident and a side-effect of progress and while I will try to avoid damage to people and their properties I can make no promises."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1276 on: April 13, 2014, 01:47:23 pm »

Eta shook her head. Oh dear. That man is clearly cukoo. Our beautiful neighbourhood is being degraded by crazy half-naked drunkards and supernatural disasters.
She turned to look at the more properly dressed man.
"You, dear sir. Have you got anything to say about the incident or about what that man just said?"
Hopefully, he'd be a bit more helpful.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: April 13, 2014, 02:58:31 pm »

"Ma'am let me ask you, is that explanation of what happened really the most implausible thing that's happened this week?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: April 13, 2014, 04:03:48 pm »

Eta shook her head. Oh dear. That man is clearly cukoo. Our beautiful neighbourhood is being degraded by crazy half-naked drunkards and supernatural disasters.
She turned to look at the more properly dressed man.
"You, dear sir. Have you got anything to say about the incident or about what that man just said?"
Hopefully, he'd be a bit more helpful.

The man is interrupted in his overly long appraisal of you, snapping out of his rather gawking stare by your question.

"Oh, right. Yes, he did indeed destroy that building. Yep. Yes, sir. Saw it myself. And I suppose his name is Dave, at least. I'm Kermit Q. Pilton, by the way. Pleased to meet you and all. But I wouldn't worry about that kind of incident repeating itself too much - after all, it requires things to go catastrophically wrong for that to happen. And though dear ol' Dave's got his troubles, there's only so many disasters one can cause over a short period of time. He seems to be having too much fun to stop, though. Look at 'im, I mean. He's got no pants and he seems to be loving it, no?"

Mr. Pilton scratches his chin nervously and grins at you.

"As for the more technical aspects of the whole business that's occurring here, well, all you really need to know you'll find out if you strike one of these matches," he then says, displaying a dark little matchbook he quickly produces between his fingers. "It's a bit hard to explain specifics, because there really aren't too many that'll make all that much sense to you. But with a single lit match, you'll be able to educate yourself pretty nicely, I think. You look sharp enough, anyway," he continues, throwing you the matchbook - within it seems to be a single odd-smelling match. "Try it. It's pretty good stuff, I find. Dave here loves it."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1279 on: April 13, 2014, 04:59:43 pm »

"The pleasure is all mine, Mr. Pillton." Eta said while removing the match and inspecting it. They really seem to believe what they're saying. I guess... Eta thought as she twirled the match between her fingers. I guess no harm will come to me by trying. I just hope this isn't some sort of drug.
"Alright. I suppose the right thing to do would be to give you the benefit of the doubt and try this out. Although I really don't see how-" she said as she lit the match.

Strike the match! Look inside its flames!

Spoiler: Char Sheet (click to show/hide)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: April 13, 2014, 05:19:54 pm »

"Prophetic Vinegar!"
I Call Upon Prophetic Vinegar.
Spoiler: Dave (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:01:47 am by The Froggy Ninja »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: April 14, 2014, 03:44:19 am »

John doesn't really like the overwhelming negativity from the night watchman. Quite uncalled for, to be honest.

"You don't have to be such a fucking prick about it! You... you prick! If you guys still have anything to throw at that asshole, that would be great," he says, moving Luz slightly further away from the nearby vortex with Trey's help, a process that Luz definitely does not enjoy from the sound of it.

"Yeah, I'm the prick here! You bastards haven't done a thing wrong!" the night watchman rants back, completely failing to notice a couple tasty yetis creeping up on him from the side, about to cross the boundary to his ruined classroom. John figures that now's as good a time as any to try and detonate some methheads!

[John's affinity roll: 4]

John feels sweat begin to pour down his forehead as he stares at the methhead closest to the watchman, and his ears begin to ring as the methhead begins to shake violently! The tension rises for but a few moments before the methhead, poor unlucky fellow, seems to realize that he is going to die in the next few moments. His expression is somewhat stoic, though with a tinge of pain and sadness. Before John can think about this for too long, however, said methhead violently explodes!

[Night Watchman's body roll: 6-->5]

The night watchman, however, seems to have foreseen something like this happening, given how the lead-up was not exactly subtle, and dives to the ground immediately, and only gets his back pelted with methhead blood and bits for his trouble. He lays there for a moment, probably hoping nothing else explodes, before getting right up again, looking shocked at the event that just happened.

"Holy shit, you just killed that guy!" he says, then looks at the methheads lying around him on the floor. "Crap."

"I think he's gonna make a run for it, guys!" Trey says excitedly.

[Trey's affinity roll: 1-->4-1]

He thrusts his hands out, but the only result seems to be an unstable wall of canned goods that appears behind him.

[Trey's body roll: 2-1]

"Goddammit, why does that never-" Trey begins to say as he turns around, accidentally touching the wall behind him, which promptly falls on him, eliciting a great deal of muffled screaming as he is buried in it. That's... probably not good.

Luz, meanwhile, tries something similar, raising her hands at the man up top despite being in quite a bit of pain.

[Luz's affinity roll: 5+1]
[Luz's finesse roll: 1-->4-1]

Suddenly, a wave of washing machines shoots out of her hands, flying out, but completely failing to hit the classroom the watchman is hiding in, instead hitting at least one of the yetis in the next room, the ceiling of the watchman's classroom and a couple of methheads, squashing them in a most painful-looking manner. The watchman looks around at the destruction surrounding him, then quickly unlocks his classroom door and bolts out of sight.

Uh... partial victory? Though some of the yetis do look pissed, John thinks. The ones that aren't furiously fighting the slimes, that is.

Larry, as he hurtles into the land of potatoes, tries to somehow stop his accelerated flight!

"Fuck your potatoes!  Help me out of here!" he shouts to Halesey even as he is practically on potato hell's doorstep. He tries to grab onto something and stop his encroaching doom.

[Larry's body roll: 6-->5-1]

Fortunately, there does seem to be a manhole on the way, which Larry grabs onto, the cover having been pulled off seconds earlier, and he pulls himself closer with inhumanly painful effort, partially opens it and slides into the manhole, glad that it seems to have a ladder at least. He begins to pant with exertion, but then catches a whiff of where he currently seems to be, and thinks better of it.

"Shit, I keep forgetting that happens. Must be why they didn't want to vortex this church up themselves, eh," Halesey says, and thinks of how to help his good buddy escape the physical neighborhood of the vortex.

[Halesey's body roll: 4+1]

He guesses this would be something that's better considered from a slightly further distance, and, with the help of his loyal retainers, is carried to a much safer distance from the vortex. Problem is, he can't really go and get Larry without being basically right next to the gaping, potato-filled hole in reality, which would bode ill for him or at least his mafiosi. On the other hand, Larry does look quite safe right now. Maybe a wall of pigeons might help?

[Halesey's affinity roll: 1-->2]

Halesey concentrates, and suddenly a huge host of pigeons begins to fly out of the manhole Larry seems to be in, disturbing the man most immensely!

[Larry's body roll: 3-1]

So much so, in fact, that Larry begins to lose his grip on the manhole as the pigeons, in all the glory of their high-pressure flow, begin to push him out of there! Larry does the best he can under the circumstances and tries to distract the vortex!

[Larry's affinity roll: 4+1]

A large pile of hats appears slightly atop him, slightly counteracting the flow of pigeons before it is sucked into the vortex as well. But Larry is not fully out of the manhole yet, so he guesses... mission accomplished, sort of?

Having received a somewhat fragmentary explanation of things as well as a classic drug dealer's pitch, Eta nevertheless continues being polite to these fellows.

"The pleasure is all mine, Mr. Pilton," she says, taking a look at the match. It looks pretty much like a normal match, though the tip's a little unusual in color - she guesses it might be some kind of party favor as well as a match - at any rate, it doesn't seem like she could inhale something overly horrible unless she sticks the match up her nose or whatever, and she'd presumably have more important problems in that scenario.

"Alright. I suppose the right thing to do would be to give you the benefit of the doubt and try this out. Although I really don't see how-" she says, striking the match and becoming rather surprised when she notices that the flame it produces appears to be completely black. And not only that, it seems to be sucking in heat rather than producing it, and darkening its surroundings visibly. Eta, not sure what to really make of this, merely stares into the flame.

[Eta's mind roll: 3+1]

And the match burns darker and darker with every moment, the two men soon disappearing from Eta's view. Her fingers grow insufferably cold within moments, and she inadvertently drops the match, as frostbite is certainly not something she was hoping to obtain today. But she isn't sure if it is now too late to reverse the change, or whether the match has even gone out at all, as the darkness does not abate. She can see nothing at all now, no matter which way she turns. In fact, turning only seems to make things worse, as she soon forgets where everything might have been. Or still is, rather. Confusion overtaking her, she steps in a direction, awkwardly poking with her umbrella to ascertain the dimensions and shapes of the things around her.

Oddly enough, the ground feels soft now, and squelches a little as she walks on it or pokes it. As do the walls. And there seems to be fairly irregularly-shaped furniture in the way, which further reinforces the thought that she might not, in fact, be where she was. A slight panic comes unbidden, and she begins to more insistently poke her surroundings until she finally comes upon something harder on one of the walls. This, unlike the rest of the room, feels like it's made of plastic. Intrigued, Eta pokes it some more, the tip of her umbrella eventually pushing on something that makes an ominous click.

Suddenly, everything is bathed in a pure white light, blinding the unsuspecting Eta like a toddler looking directly at the sun for the very first time, the pain of sudden illumination making her reflexively close her eyes. But before she does so, something trickles into her brain through her eyes - not a sight, but a thought, strangely enough. A hint and a link, a choice and a remark.

Spoiler: Eta's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)

As she opens her eyes, she finds herself back in the alley, both Kermit and Dave looking to be as normal as previously, along with the rest of the alley looking unchanged. She does seem to have dropped the match, resulting in it going out. Dave does look worked up about something, though.

[Dave's affinity roll: 2-1]

Said excitement appears to be entirely fruitless, however, as things consistently fail to happen no matter how hard he mutters. Kermit is the first to notice the ending of Eta's first journey.

"Oh, hey! You're back. Any impressions?" he asks.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: April 14, 2014, 04:11:12 am »

"Thanks, men, excellent work. Now. Let's get to work. Or back to work, even."

Halesey tries to shout over the din of tuber hell and rushing pigeonwind.

"Er. Larry? Sorry about that. Dunno why I thought it could help. Pigeons, I guess. Do you want some mafiosi to come help?"

If Larry doesn't require help, potato vortex that church one more time. If he does, then disregard this.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1283 on: April 14, 2014, 07:40:28 am »

Can't I get more than one? thought Eta as she subconsciously picked the Wave of Lawyers. Perhaps she believed that she would need an army of lawyers if spending time with those individuals got her into trouble with the law.

It was strange, the experience. It shook her. It felt like she imagined death would be like, cold, dark, alone. And yet the light, blindingly bright as it was, made her feel better. Filled with knowledge. Knowledge that condensed into two words: Lawyer Wave. And in the end, she was okay. And it was exciting.

It took her a few seconds to overcome her shock and reply to the man.
"It was... unexpected. It was like I was taken somewhere else and I was fumbling in the dark and it was frightening and yet... after I unlocked something and there was light and it was good, in a way. Like a roller coaster ride. And in the end it made me feel different, like I can do more now, like I can..."
She took a deep breath to compose herself.
"It was good. I believe it would be appropriate for me to thank you for granting me this experience." Eta said, getting a bit closer to the man.
"If I may be so bold as to ask, does this thing have a name, Mr Pillton? Do you know how it works? Are you responsible for this? And would it be possible for me to obtain more?" she asked the man, her worries about drugs and home all but forgotten in her excitement for this new experience.

Question Mr.E.P.

The matchbox is now empty, right?

Try using the knowledge I obtained: Lawyer Wave.
Hope it doesn't create a talking watery wave that has just finished law school.

EDIT: Go and obtain more matches!

Spoiler: Char Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:08:17 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: April 14, 2014, 08:33:32 am »

Larry swats a couple particularly distressed-looking pigeons away.  "I think you've helped enough!  I might have to go... down here to get away!"

Screw it, just get done!  Go vortex another good spot on the church.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: April 14, 2014, 09:02:34 am »

"I'm studying it to figure out how it works."
I Call Upon Prophetic Vinegar.
Spoiler: Dave (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:04:08 am by The Froggy Ninja »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: April 14, 2014, 12:34:17 pm »

"It was... unexpected. It was like I was taken somewhere else and I was fumbling in the dark and it was frightening and yet... after I unlocked something and there was light and it was good, in a way. Like a roller coaster ride. And in the end it made me feel different, like I can do more now, like I can..."
She took a deep breath to compose herself.
"It was good. I believe it would be appropriate for me to thank you for granting me this experience." Eta said, getting a bit closer to the man.
"If I may be so bold as to ask, does this thing have a name, Mr Pillton? Do you know how it works? Are you responsible for this? And would it be possible for me to obtain more?" she asked the man, her worries about drugs and home all but forgotten in her excitement for this new experience.

"Well, it does have a name - magic. Or at least that's what we call it. And you can get more magic if you just put more matches into the matchbox. Let 'em stay in there for an hour or so, though, otherwise it doesn't quite work. And you're very welcome, of course," he smiles. "And this is, of course, only the beginning. There's a whole world of things to discover about magic. But let's talk about that after you've gotten a few more spells, 'kay?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1287 on: April 14, 2014, 02:08:15 pm »

"Well, it does have a name - magic. Or at least that's what we call it. And you can get more magic if you just put more matches into the matchbox. Let 'em stay in there for an hour or so, though, otherwise it doesn't quite work. And you're very welcome, of course," he smiles. "And this is, of course, only the beginning. There's a whole world of things to discover about magic. But let's talk about that after you've gotten a few more spells, 'kay?"
"Certainly. I shall accomplish this task and return to you in the most expedient manner possible!"
Eta turned to walk away in search of matches but stopped as she realized something. She knew nothing of that man besides his name.
"Oh, will it be possible for me to find you here later? How can I come into contact with you again, when the time comes?"

((Previous action edited.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: April 14, 2014, 02:18:47 pm »

"Certainly. I shall accomplish this task and return to you in the most expedient manner possible!"
Eta turned to walk away in search of matches but stopped as she realized something. She knew nothing of that man besides his name.
"Oh, will it be possible for me to find you here later? How can I come into contact with you again, when the time comes?"

"Ah, yes, of course," Kermit says, retrieving a card from his pocket in a smooth, practiced motion and handing it to you. The card, very much like you'd expect, seems to contain his name, workplace (apparently he works at LindisPharm as a marketing director) and what looks like a personal number. "You can call me anytime. Maybe we can have lunch or something. Things are best discussed over lunch, don't you think?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: April 14, 2014, 02:37:54 pm »

"Say, gentlemen, did you know? The spleens of these yetis are made out of the highest grade meth known to man! But be careful, it's starts losing its quality fast once the yeti dies, so it's best to get it from a fresh kill! That should keep them fighting a bit longer. "Hey, you guys allright? The watchman ran off, so maybe we should fall back and lick our wounds, eh?"

Shout the first part towards ther methheads. Help Trey and Luz get to a safer location. If anyone tries to stop us, hit them with a beam of suicidal tobacco.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 244