Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256048 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: 101 Uses For Potatoes and Vortexes Thereof
« Reply #1530 on: May 12, 2014, 08:41:26 am »

"Yes, well. Last night I called to let you know that the kids are, in fact, safe. All four of them. I checked up on them and send them home. I suppose that concludes that business, yes?"

"How come I haven't heard anything from Luz's folks, then? What happened to her?"

"Glad you like it. You look good in it. Although really, you haven't had many clothes to compare it with. You'll see when we go shopping tomorrow. It will be fun."
Tomorrow... Eta tried to get thoughts about tomorrow out of her head, fearing she would get lost in thinking and worrying again. She switched the subject of the conversation to something else instead.
"So, how was your shower? Everything OK?"

"I didn't die, somewhat unexpectedly. So yes, it was very much okay," she says, then looks at the screen again. "You know, maybe you shouldn't watch the news. They seem pretty worrying."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: May 12, 2014, 09:07:10 am »

"I don't know what to say, man. They did seem to harbour some kind of grudge against you for some reason or another. Maybe they just don't want to contact you? Anyway, I got them out of their little pickle they were in, they should be fine, really."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: May 12, 2014, 09:08:35 am »

"I don't know what to say, man. They did seem to harbour some kind of grudge against you for some reason or another. Maybe they just don't want to contact you? Anyway, I got them out of their little pickle they were in, they should be fine, really."

"And what pickle would that be, pray tell?" Mr. Lee asks sternly.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1533 on: May 12, 2014, 09:11:56 am »

"Yeah, I guess you're right." Although ignoring the problem won't make it stop existing. Eta made a motion to turn off the TV but then reconsidered.
"Do you want to watch anything?" she said, offering Lois the remote. "I'm going to try my luck with those matches again before going to sleep." Is it a good idea to leave her alone with the tele? I know it's the polite thing to do, but is it right? She is, after all, like a child in many ways.

Give Lois the remote or turn off the TV depending on what she wants. Then find a place where it is safe to light a match (close to a vent/window, away from smoke detectors/anything flammable) and look into a match. If possible, see if I can note the time I light the match so that I can know approximately how long it takes for the process of obtaining magic to complete and how long I'm left unable to react.

Spoiler: Char Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:25:06 am by Parisbre56 »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: May 12, 2014, 09:28:31 am »

"And what pickle would that be, pray tell?" Mr. Lee asks sternly.
"Well, first they were running away from home, staying in some kind of crack den. Then they left their lay- lein or something at school, so I proposed that I'd take them there to pick it up and send them on their way. But once we got there we were attacked by a crazed meth junkie who also summoned some portals. So, I beat the guy up to protect the kids, helped them get there watchamacallit, and send them on their way home.

That's the gist of it, really. Nothing spectacular."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: May 12, 2014, 09:44:34 am »

"Well, first they were running away from home, staying in some kind of crack den. Then they left their lay- lein or something at school, so I proposed that I'd take them there to pick it up and send them on their way. But once we got there we were attacked by a crazed meth junkie who also summoned some portals. So, I beat the guy up to protect the kids, helped them get there watchamacallit, and send them on their way home.

That's the gist of it, really. Nothing spectacular."

Mr. Lee is silent for a moment.

"... so the school was you kids, then. That's no good, son. You've done the exact opposite of solving the problem, actually. And now them kids are probably gone for good."

Another pause.

"I'm very disappointed in you," he says slightly ominously, and then hangs up.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: May 12, 2014, 09:51:17 am »

"Well, shit..."

John, getting a rather bad feeling about this, phones Luz

"Heya, Luz. So, uh. Lee called. I told him a bunch of lies and shit to get him to stop bothering me. But....yeah...

I think he might be mad and out to kill me now. I don't suppose you've got any ideas? Or a spare hideout?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: May 12, 2014, 03:38:03 pm »

Halesey decides to search his home for the things he needs - money and a suit. Maybe a pair of nice shoes. And a shower. All of these are found and had, though Halesey's not sure if 37 eurodollars is quite enough to treat a lady at an expensive restaurant, and he feels a little constricted in his suit.

Hm. Maybe he needs a robe of some sort. He is, after all, an acolyte now. A man of the burlap, so to speak. And a staff, too. And maybe even a pointy hat once he advances enough in the way of the potato. But that's something to think about later, he supposes, after he gets some dang money to operate with already.

Dave, not one to let such a priceless opportunity slip by him, tries to swim toward the wrestling humanoids.

[Dave's body roll: 6-->6-1]

Conquering his flabbiness and slight insanity with all the ease of a truly driven pilgrim, he reaches the two of them in almost a single mighty bound, and poses a powerful, wise question.

"Hey guy. What's up."

The furry, apelike creature and the denture man both look at him for a moment.

[Dentureman vs. Dave: 5 vs. 6-1]
[Yeti vs. Dave: 6 vs. 3-1]

The next few moments are something that Dave can't quite remember a few seconds later, but the fact remains that he finds himself spinning through the mass of dentures, extremely confused and in a lot of pain. He doesn't quite remember the immediate chain of events that led him here, to be perfectly honest, but judging from the broken nose, the taste of blood and the feeling of quite a few tooth fragments in his mouth is indicative that, whatever happened, it probably wasn't a very friendly exchange, to say the least.

Larry, curious to see what attempts to control the flow of spells into his mind may bring, focuses on the idea of disintegration while looking at the binder's confounding diagrams.

[Larry's mind roll: 1-->4+1]

And it does seem to work, sort of! He manages to sort of orient himself, look out for certain kernels of knowledge amidst the vast sea of magic, then reach out to them purely of his own initiative and make them his own. He makes them so very much his own, in fact, that he finds it rather difficult to let them go when he slowly emerges from the mist enveloping his mind.

"Yeah, I guess you're right," Eta says, heeding Lois' advice and moving to turn off the TV, but thinking better of it within a moment. "Do you want to watch anything?" she asks, offering Lois the remote, which she takes and examines for a moment.

"I'm going to try my luck with those matches again before going to sleep." Eta continues, eliciting a nod from Lois as the latter sits down and starts flipping through channels, eventually settling on some kind of weird religious channel where a man with a white beard, thick-framed eyeglasses, a pronounced lisp and a hot pink robe seems to be talking about space and how it might be important to humanity's ultimate salvation in a nasal tone. Quality late night programming, that's for sure.

Well, no matter, Eta takes out a match and strikes it near the window, noting that the present time showing on the old alarm clock on the nightstand appears to be 1:07 AM. Looking into the black flame, she fades into darkness once more.

[Eta's mind roll: 6-->4+1]

This time, the darkness feels altogether more claustrophobic, an impression that is almost immediately confirmed when Eta realizes she seems to be enveloped in some kind of metallic shell, with her body positioned in a T-shape reminiscent of a crucifixion, her arms and legs completely immobile. She is about to panic a little when she has the idea of checking what she can actually move. After all, these rooms are puzzles at their core, and such a fact implies a solution, obviously. With this in mind, she goes through all her body parts, and finds it interesting when only her fingers, her toes and her head seem to be movable to any degree, and that every such movement seems to create a mechanical noise of some kind. She begins to try out combinations immediately, finding out that each combo also seems to have a different, much less predictable sound. The first attempt makes a very powerful C sharp, the second produces random cat noises, while the third seems to do nothing for a few moments, until Eta feels her head begin to throb and the metallic coffin around her begin to menacingly vibrate. Visions begin swim around the corners of her eyes when suddenly the coffin shatters with a deafening boom, causing Eta to rocket back to the world of wakefulness, head still slightly pounding and the sounds of the room feeling a little muted as she looks at the clock. 1:08 AM. Huh.

Spoiler: Eta's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)

John, feeling like his chance of being visited by a nice man with many sharp and painful instruments of murder may have skyrocketed just now, tries to call Luz, who he guesses is his only friend in the entire world right about now.

Unfortunately, though, she doesn't seem to be picking up. Maybe she's still asleep?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: May 12, 2014, 04:54:01 pm »

Head outside and find an ATM, at least 15 minutes away on foot.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: May 12, 2014, 09:23:21 pm »

2. Transform Dinosaur Into Intriguing Hat

BEST SPELL EVER.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1540 on: May 13, 2014, 04:06:21 am »

2. Transform Dinosaur Into Intriguing Hat

BEST SPELL EVER.
((Indeed. And not only that, I also got a spell that gives me golden projectiles! And a vortex! If I wasn't hunted by the authorities, I'd be the luckiest wizard (witch?) ever!))

Eta almost squealed with delight. Oh, those are great! I bet everybody will be impressed with those. Thanks, funny voice. Eta emptied her matchbox of magic matches and refilled it with normal matches, as an experiment to see if magic matches kept being magic if left out of the box. She then turned and approached Lois.
"Hey, I got some great spells. Can't wait to try them out tomorrow!" Eta said as she sat on the couch with Lois, looking at the TV. "Got any idea what legal requirements there are for selling gold around here?"

Spoiler: Char Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:12:09 am by Parisbre56 »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 13, 2014, 08:45:09 am »

I try to get more spells.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 13, 2014, 10:08:57 am »

Larry drank in the rushing magic, feeling a few things slip behind in the torrent.  He wanted more.

Drop Disintegrate Aspirin and Evoke Depressing Monocle.  Jump right back in for more magic.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 13, 2014, 10:46:34 am »

"Hey, I got some great spells. Can't wait to try them out tomorrow!" Eta said as she sat on the couch with Lois, looking at the TV. "Got any idea what legal requirements there are for selling gold around here?"

"I don't think there are any. You needed a license for gold ownership up until the seventies, I think, but now it's less regulated. If I remember it right, of course," Lois says, watching the TV intently. The man on the screen seems to be rambling in an even tone, occasionally pausing for a drawn-out "uh" as he seems to be trying to figure out how to get back on whatever his original subject might have been, yet apparently failing each time.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: May 13, 2014, 11:39:04 am »

"Shit, gotta go fast."

Grab money, wallet cellphone. See if I've got some sort of weapon in my home, and if so, grab it. Then go outside, lock up, grab my bike and start going in the opposite direction of mister Lee's shop.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 244