Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256140 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: The Forgotten Art: 101 Uses For Potatoes and Vortexes Thereof
« Reply #1545 on: May 13, 2014, 01:05:58 pm »

"Oh, thanks, that's good to know. If I understood what that spell does, we're going to have some gold to sell tomorrow."

Stay on the couch and watch TV with Lois. Respond to any little questions Lois may have. Any big questions can interrupt following actions.

When I'm sufficiently bored and sleepy get up and wear sleep appropriate clothing.

*yawn* "I think it's time for me to go to sleep. Are you OK with us sleeping in the same bed?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: May 13, 2014, 02:36:52 pm »

Halesey, not deterred by lack of cash, engages in a short bit of ATM hunting, making sure to walk steadily for fifteen minutes in a particular direction before beginning to properly search. Not five minutes pass before he has found his quarry - a skittish, wild machine that regards him with slight suspicion as he approaches the wall it is embedded in - said wall appears to have belonged to a supermarket before a large proportion of it had been leveled by what was, in all likelihood, a falling dinosaur of immense size. The ATM, for its part, seems to still work.

Halesey can spot several small feathered fiends feasting on certain bits of dinosaur left in the ruins - only about half of them seem to be dinosaurs. The other half are simply crows. They look rather similar, once one gets past the slight size difference and the fact that one type of scavenging beast has slightly more teeth than the other.

Dave, with diplomacy having proven a resounding failure, chooses to engage in more spell attainment. Eventually he will get something useful, he knows it!

[Dave's mind roll: 2+2]

Striking a match and letting the green flame take him in, he finds himself suddenly standing atop a crumbling skyscraper in the middle of the town he was forcibly pulled out of not too long ago. The city all around him seems to have crumbled quite a bit. Tiny figures can be seen moving about on the ground, and enormous beasts both prehistoric and downright magical seem to roam the trashed landscape all around. The only structures in proper condition seem to be towers - incongruous towers stretching up into the skies, strange, almost imperceptible light shining at Dave, causing him to turn away.

Guided by impulse, he looks at the sky. There is no sun despite it seeming to be midday, and no clouds to obscure it, either. There's just an endless, vomitous green up above, screaming ghosts flying all about, trying to hunt large, flying birds. As Dave watches them go, he doesn't even notice how quickly time begins to pass all around him, and when he blinks, he is back in the denture dimension, slightly confused.

Spoiler: Dave's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)

Larry, unrestricted by the presence of any busybody potato maniacs, pigs out on magical research with no remorse or shame.

[Larry's mind roll: 3+1]

His mind, though, seems to be getting real plump now. Knowledge still seeps into it, but the process is becoming more arduous and mildly uncomfortable. Larry guesses it might be very much like another thing one does privately in one's home in that respect.

Spoiler: Larry's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)

John knows that he can waste no time, as it is rather a-wastin' as it is, and if he allows it to be wasted, he may get wasted himself, and not in the fun way, either. Grabbing his money, wallet, cell phone and snub-nosed revolver he keeps in a shoebox exactly for times like these, he runs outside, locks his door and quickly gets on his personal bicycle and tries to pedal his way out of the Lower Esplanade, presumably for good.

Half an hour later, he dares say he has been remarkably successful, having relocated his sorry ass to the middle of the slightly ruined locale of Retiree Row. Slightly decreasing his speed, he surveys his surroundings. The place seems pretty quiet, and slightly lacking in people other than the occasional pensioner walking down the street, looking even more fearful than John himself in many ways.

Eta is glad to have a lawyer on hand - she's fairly certain that, for a wanted terrorist such as herself, legal counsel within arms reach may prove critical in the near future.

"Oh, thanks, that's good to know. If I understood what that spell does, we're going to have some gold to sell tomorrow."

"That does sound useful," Lois says slightly absently as she stares at the screen. Eta, seeing how Lois doesn't seem very conversationally inclined, chooses to watch the rambling man as well.

"-and that's why going to space is, uh, well, important, you know?" the man says, shrugging. "I mean, there's, like, dinosaurs coming back. They want the planet, I think. It used to be theirs, and it's, like, only fair, man. We are only, uh, kids playing around here. Like, playing around on the lawn of the, uh, ancients and sh-uh, stuff. Yeah. It was a pretty nice lawn, too, you know, until we, uh, started fu-uh, messing with it. And if you mess with the, uh, lawn, at some point the groundskeeper's gonna, like, come out and be all like 'imma fu-erm, imma make you be sorry!' And we totally will be. Sorry for, like, everything. Sorry our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great," he continues, pausing to gasp for air, "great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great times a million grandparents ate their eggs while they, like, weren't looking. Because if they were looking, they'd, like, have eaten all of our ancestors. And then we wouldn't even be here. Imagine that, huh? Evolution's amazing, man. It's, like, everything that's alive in the world is your cousin. Like a hillbilly wedding. Uh, no offense to, like, actual hillbillies. I'm sure they're great people. Good people. Moral, uh, god-fearing, pious people, like, total stand-up gentlemen. And ladies. Wait, do you call a lady hillbilly a hillbilly? I honestly don't know. Or is 'hillbilly' a slur?... You know, I think it's a slur. Forget I, like, uh, said any of that, okay? I don't want to, uh, alienate anyone. Especially, like, people who real aliens, like Mexi-uh, I think I'll, like, shut up now, guys. And gals. That's okay, right? Yeah, I thought so," he says, and then gestures at somebody off-camera to stop. The footage cuts off and music starts playing, with the message "Channel 97 Will Be Back At 5 To Fulfill All Of Your Needs" written in white letters across the picture of a fairly bland pastoral landscape. These UHF TV stations can get pretty weird late at night, it seems. Eta stares at the picture for a moment before she feels compelled to yawn.

"I think it's time for me to go to sleep. Are you OK with us sleeping in the same bed?" she asks of Lois, who turns off the TV now that it seems to hold nothing of interest.

"Sure," she replies. "Why would it be a problem?" she then asks as Eta gets ready for bed.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: May 13, 2014, 02:51:02 pm »

Oh crap. Didn't think of the dinosaurs.

Walk ten twenty feet back from the ATM. Cast Potato Vortex at it, aiming to catch the edge of the vortex right in the middle of the ATM! Whistle innocently if anyone spots me.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:53:00 pm by lawastooshort »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: May 13, 2014, 02:52:45 pm »

"Allright, Let's do this then." John finds a payphone, and calls mister Lee again.

"Yes, um, John again. I think we might have ended on a bit of a sour note earlier. I just want you to know that I'm sorry about what happened at the school."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 13, 2014, 03:43:57 pm »

Oh yeah, that's our money problems sorted out.  Should probably tell Halesey.  Choosing the Storm, Larry looks up from the book and dashes out a text.

Booty was no go, but got another way to solve our cash problem.

((Harry: Are the two of us more or less time-synced?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1550 on: May 13, 2014, 04:02:18 pm »

((Quality entertainment there.

Also, Storm of Eldritch Cocaine. That's one way to kill the entire city. And probably force the government to either quarantine the area or legalize drugs. EDIT: Oh, wait, my bad, it's Storm, not Rain. That's better for the prospects of the city for survival.

And I just had a scary thought. You people who have found a leyline can just keep meditating on the concept of Rain until you get something deadly and then hold the city ransom. Classic supervillain plot there.))

"I think it's time for me to go to sleep. Are you OK with us sleeping in the same bed?" she asks of Lois, who turns off the TV now that it seems to hold nothing of interest.

"Sure," she replies. "Why would it be a problem?" she then asks as Eta gets ready for bed.

"Well, some people don't like it. Maybe they like to have the bed to themselves or maybe the other snores or has uneasy sleep or maybe they're just... I don't know. Uncomfortable, perhaps."
Eta was about to say prude, but thought better of it. If she doesn't know what that means, that conversation could get awkward.
"I guess there are lots of reasons. All depend on the people and the bed, I suppose." Eta sat down on the side of the bed closest to the alarm clock. "If you think I'm disturbing your sleep. just tell me and I'll relocate to the couch."

If all's OK, sleep.
Offer Lois some of my clothes (even if they're larger) so that she doesn't have to sleep with the bathrobe if she doesn't want to.

Before going to sleep, set the alarm clock to sometime early.
I want to watch the news while eating breakfast and try my luck at getting some gold and maybe get some clothes for Lois before I arrange a meeting with Mr Pilton.

Spoiler: Char Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 05:24:32 pm by Parisbre56 »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: May 13, 2014, 04:09:14 pm »

Booty was no go, but got another way to solve our cash problem.

Text back!

Um okay. Can't be worse than my idea. I need enough to buy... that girl dinner in about two hours. Yeah.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: May 13, 2014, 04:22:49 pm »

I chose and cast Transform into Porcine Clown replacing Become Musical Cookies
Spoiler: Dave (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:50:54 am by The Froggy Ninja »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: May 13, 2014, 11:36:57 pm »

"Allright, Let's do this then." John finds a payphone, and calls mister Lee again.

"Yes, um, John again. I think we might have ended on a bit of a sour note earlier. I just want you to know that I'm sorry about what happened at the school."

When Mr. Lee realizes it's you again, he doesn't sound very pleased.

"You lied to me, son. That's no good. Now, tell me everything that happened. Truthfully."

((Harry: Are the two of us more or less time-synced?))

Pretty much, yeah. It's not even much of a stretch in your case.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: May 14, 2014, 05:50:54 am »

When Mr. Lee realizes it's you again, he doesn't sound very pleased.

"You lied to me, son. That's no good. Now, tell me everything that happened. Truthfully."

John cringes slightly at mister Lee's words.

"Right, so. After you told me to get them I went and fond their little hideout, some abandoned appartement or another. THere were four of them there. The two girls were easy enough to convince once I pointed out the flaws in their plan, and they went home without much of a struggle. Trey and Luz, however, I couldn't convince. Please believe me, I tried.

So, since they were hell-bent on getting to that leyline in that school, and I couldn't see a way to stop them, I kinda went with them to make sure they were going to be all right. Once at the school however, everything got a bit violent, what with that watchman guy who summons these teeth vortexes or another. So, everyone starts throwing magical punches, the school gets partly demolished and everyone gets hurt. After that we basically grabbed that leyline, got out of the school and parted ways.

I've got no idea where they are right now. All they said is that they were going to go somewhere safe. I also promised them not to tell you anything. I don't know what the deal is between you and them, but Trey in particular seems to really, really hate you.

So, that's what happened in a nutshell. Oh, they also said that the leyline belonged to someone called Jeanie or something."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: May 14, 2014, 06:09:44 am »

etc

8 spells?! Good lord, your head is going to explode.

edit: Especially when you actually cast one, with that 0.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: May 14, 2014, 07:14:10 am »

etc

Actually, he can have 9 at a time, since he has 6 Mind. Not sure why he insists it's only 5.

"Right, so. After you told me to get them I went and fond their little hideout, some abandoned appartement or another. THere were four of them there. The two girls were easy enough to convince once I pointed out the flaws in their plan, and they went home without much of a struggle. Trey and Luz, however, I couldn't convince. Please believe me, I tried.

So, since they were hell-bent on getting to that leyline in that school, and I couldn't see a way to stop them, I kinda went with them to make sure they were going to be all right. Once at the school however, everything got a bit violent, what with that watchman guy who summons these teeth vortexes or another. So, everyone starts throwing magical punches, the school gets partly demolished and everyone gets hurt. After that we basically grabbed that leyline, got out of the school and parted ways.

I've got no idea where they are right now. All they said is that they were going to go somewhere safe. I also promised them not to tell you anything. I don't know what the deal is between you and them, but Trey in particular seems to really, really hate you.

So, that's what happened in a nutshell. Oh, they also said that the leyline belonged to someone called Jeanie or something."

"Them kids hate me because I want them to stay safe, which for them means boredom, attending school and not being able to use magic as freely as they like. It's natural for them to hate me, but all of this is for their own safety, and the safety of the many, many people around them. I'm sure you're familiar with this kind of thing, son," Mr. Lee explains patiently. "And they were on the money with the leyline. It did belong to someone else. And now that you've empowered them kids, made them even better at magic, pretty much shown them that they can get what they want through force, well, there ain't much hope of getting them to come back willingly. They're on the dark path now, and I can't help them turn this whole thing around alone. You might be able to, if you try."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: May 14, 2014, 09:06:50 am »

Um okay. Can't be worse than my idea. I need enough to buy... that girl dinner in about two hours. Yeah.

Let's just say it's similar to the previous plan, but eldritch instead of divine, so no angels and demons messing it up.  Maybe Johnny Law, if you know what I mean.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: May 14, 2014, 09:51:55 am »

etc

Actually, he can have 9 at a time, since he has 6 Mind. Not sure why he insists it's only 5.
Fix'd and mostly because I made a typo in the first post from which the rest are derived.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: May 14, 2014, 10:31:40 am »

Have we got time to do this plan before I do this... dinner? Cos my plan's real quick. And as stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 244