Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 255188 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Caution Meets Wind, Adventure Ensues
« Reply #1950 on: June 08, 2014, 12:20:15 pm »

"Umm... Do I actually have a choice? Like, will you still let me go if I say no? I mean I would feel bad if the Garmentions came to harm just because I wanted to get out of this dimension and get a ley line."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:24:11 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: June 08, 2014, 12:50:15 pm »

John, visibly shaken, speaks to the cow

"I'm going to have to ask you to release Trey now. This has clearly gone on long enough."

"Oh, we can't stop now! There's only three fights left! We've already had most of them, might as well conclude the matter, no? I mean, who really needs more than one Trey Hooper? Want to make a bet, perhaps? Still a little time left before the next fight!"

"You sick fuck! What is wrong with you! Why?"

"Because I want this to be an experience, you all. An experience to remember. Seriously, make a bet. Trey 11 versus Trey 36 with a table of rakes, hoes and measuring tape to speed the process. 11's managed a pretty good kill with a spatula in one of the more special matches, while 36 seems to have snapped a little emotionally and gone awesomely stone cold in the process. It's going to get wild, in all likelihood, so be sure to bet! You can bet knowledge, spells, body parts, lifeforce, friends, whatever you like. Anything goes, though some things are more valuable than others! You can easily double or triple your commodities if you get lucky!"

"But those are my doughnuts..."

"Look, I'll reimburse you," the man says, turning to Bart. "Twenty bucks for the box." Bart grumbles a little and roots around in his pockets, then gives his friend twenty dollars, who hands it over to you.

"Umm... Do I actually have a choice? Like, will you still let me go if I say no? I mean I would feel bad if the Garmentions came to harm just because I wanted to get out of this dimension and get a ley line."

"We. Will. Let. You. Go."

"But. You. Will. Be. Lost."

"Lost. Forever."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: June 08, 2014, 01:42:32 pm »

"I don't suppose I can convince you to let me take his place? Surely this needn't go on. These kids aren't at fault here."

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: June 08, 2014, 02:03:13 pm »

"That's ominous. Please elaborate."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: June 08, 2014, 02:06:25 pm »

"I don't suppose I can convince you to let me take his place? Surely this needn't go on. These kids aren't at fault here."

"Ah! Interesting offer. But first, let me explain the principles at work here - they're pretty fun. You see, I took this one Trey, who really wasn't very good at playing Mafia, to be honest, and duplicated him sixty-three times, obtaining a grand total of 64 Treys. Then I explained to them that they will be killing each other in ritualized arena combat with more or less deadly tools. They did not find the idea appealing. Then I told them that I would kill each one who did not comply far, far more painfully than they ever could with any tools. Something in the vein of your dear friend Luz, but extended a bit. Gave him a live feed of you putting her together for a bit, actually."

Luz says nothing, but you do believe she's seething.

"But that's not all! You see, each Trey is linked to the other in a sort of sensory manner. Any pain or other, similar feeling, like death throes, for instance, that one of them feels is felt by all! Makes the arena fights quite a bit more exciting, I find. And the torture's much more motivating that way, as well as really efficient! It's been very fun so far, if I do say so myself. So, with all that in mind, would you still agree? We'd have to start over, and I'd probably need to kill off three Treys in some fashion anyway (or keep them around here, but I get the feeling that they might not like that option, really). And I'm not sure if it would really be worth it, although I could give you a one-on-one run against yourself to the death for funsies after this, if you feel like you've got what it takes and don't mind yourself dying. Or you could just restrict yourself to betting, which would inject a bit of audience participation into the whole thing. Or if that's too inhumane, just spectate. I'll probably let you three out after this, since I think the point's been made rather well so far, no?"

You notice Luz appears to be reading her book feverishly.

"That's ominous. Please elaborate."

"The. Way. Out. Will. Remain. Unknown."

"As. Will. The. Way. Back. In."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:12:24 pm by Harry Baldman »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: June 08, 2014, 02:28:52 pm »

John puts his hand on Luz's shoulder

"Luz, don't do anything rash, we're nearly out of here."

He turns to the cow again

"And what, might I ask, is the point of all this, exactly? Clearly, this is supposed to be some kind of punishment, but I fail to see what for."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: June 08, 2014, 02:38:04 pm »

John puts his hand on Luz's shoulder

"Luz, don't do anything rash, we're nearly out of here."

She gives you a very nasty look after tearing herself from the book. You get the feeling she might not be thinking clearly.

He turns to the cow again

"And what, might I ask, is the point of all this, exactly? Clearly, this is supposed to be some kind of punishment, but I fail to see what for."

"Ah! We'll get to that later. Right now, I'd like you to place a bet. Maybe you can get a prize for your good work so far! You don't have to, obviously, but still. I want to see how it goes, and I do feel like rewarding you somehow!"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: June 08, 2014, 02:42:52 pm »

"I'm not sure about this betting thing. How about you, Luz?"

He turns to the cow suddenly

"Actually, are we allowed to give the...contestants...items from outside the ring?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: June 08, 2014, 05:15:49 pm »

"I'm not sure about this betting thing. How about you, Luz?"

She stares at you blankly.

"Are you fucking serious?"

"But think of the prizes you could win!"

He turns to the cow suddenly

"Actually, are we allowed to give the...contestants...items from outside the ring?"

"Oh, no, not at all. That would be cheating. And would defeat the purpose of leaving specific tools in there in the first place, actually. So no."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: June 08, 2014, 05:35:53 pm »

NOM NOM NOM DONUT
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: June 08, 2014, 05:43:27 pm »

"Right, yeah, pretty sure I don't actually want any of your prizes. Luz, you may want to...I don't know...turn around or leave the room. I don't think there's a faster way to get Trey out of this."

Silently watch the entire thing. Do not look away, no matter what.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: June 08, 2014, 06:03:35 pm »

"Out of the ground or out of the dimension?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1962 on: June 08, 2014, 09:03:27 pm »

Who does that man think he is to order Bart around like that?

Eta shook her head and raised her palm in a "stop" gesture.
"Money is not the problem, it's..." that those donuts were for my friend, not that fat idiot who can't keep his magic to himself.
"Ugh, never mind. Just take the doughnuts."

This is your fault Eta. You wanted to go out to buy doughnuts. You're the one who jinxed it, said this was going to be a great day.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: June 09, 2014, 04:40:23 am »

NOM NOM NOM DONUT

You eat the remains of the donut, and find it very good, rather like the last one.

[Your mind roll: 3+1]

Now, rather than a dark void, you find yourself on a large green plain, blue skies above you. The aroma feels strangely repulsive, though familiar, and you're slightly unsure of what to do. You waddle around for a bit, looking for something to do, but no activities are apparent. Bored, you let yourself fall on the ground face-down, as you often do when terribly bored, finding your footing an odd mixture of squelchy and crunchy. Now that your nose is right on it, you think you might know what this is! Cabbage! One giant leaf of cabbage, you believe. How very interesting.

As you ponder what to do with this information, your mouth almost automatically begins to chew at the ground, since, while you definitely prefer donuts, sometimes cabbage might be the way to go, you know? If there's nothing else around, why not? Telling yourself this, you start eating quicker and quicker, slowly forming a hole in the cabbage beneath you and feeling a little like a caterpillar in the process. Surprisingly, the cabbage is actually pretty good. Juicy, green, and you get this very nice feeling of healthiness as you eat it despite the fact that you're still kind of pigging out. Guess this is what being a vegetarian feels like.

Soon enough you reach a threshold of sorts, and you feel unexpectedly full - you're not sure how much you've eaten, but you're certain it's quite a bit, and you're not entirely sure you want to get up just yet. As you consider whether to eat more and naturally tend toward 'yes' as usual, suddenly your stomach twists, its contents feeling like they're... evaporating? The hot cabbage fumes seem to float up your esophagus in a manner reminiscent of acid reflux, and then immediately rush down into your lungs. And as absorption begins, you feel light, light as a feather, and glowing with moral superiority for some reason.

As you awaken, the man who is not Bart is nodding, the box of donuts in his hand.

"Hm. So... that worked for you as well. Okay, I'll try half and you try half, then," he says and takes out a donut, pulls it in half and offers one half to you while popping the other one in his mouth and beginning to chew it thoroughly.

"Money is not the problem, it's..." that those donuts were for my friend, not that fat idiot who can't keep his magic to himself.
"Ugh, never mind. Just take the doughnuts."

"Mm. Theshe are good," he says as he eats his half, a few crumbs falling out of his mouth. "Don't you agree, Bart?" he asks of his friend, who shrugs. He then looks back at you. "Sho, where'd you get theshe, Msh., uh... didn't catch your name?"

"Out of the ground or out of the dimension?"

"The. Latter."

"Also. The. Former. If. You. Mention. Our. Existence."

"Right, yeah, pretty sure I don't actually want any of your prizes. Luz, you may want to...I don't know...turn around or leave the room. I don't think there's a faster way to get Trey out of this."

"Oh, trust me, you do. Especially the spells. Bet a spell, get a better one in return! And if you lose one, you can easily get it back with a bit of research! And I do mean an actually better spell, not like the knowledge you got from one of the giving boxes. And if you, say, bet Luz, you can get her and a non-traumatized Trey back! Still sure you don't want to bet anything? Last call before the fight!"

Luz, meanwhile, seems to steadfastly ignore you, opening her book once more.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: June 09, 2014, 05:04:48 am »

Replace Curse Croissant with Electric Watermelon Storm.

That was a good one! Gehehehehe.
Now what, though? Might as well observe the effects of the donuts while thinking out loud.

Spoiler: DUNKER, Food Critic (click to show/hide)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 244