Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 255137 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Caution Meets Wind, Adventure Ensues
« Reply #2220 on: June 28, 2014, 02:15:39 pm »

Larry was a bit nervous about that, but now was not the time for fear.  Now was the time for false bravado, something he considered himself quite good at; in concept, if not by name.

"Uh yeah sure, go for it.  So which sphere is which again?  Moon is first, Saturn is seven, Mercury is two, what else?"

"Venus is the third, the Sun is the fourth, Mars is the fifth, Jupiter's number six, and after Saturn we skip right to the Fixed Stars, since Uranus, Neptune and the dwarf planets are pretty shitty real estate, all things considered, and after that it's mighty number nine, what they call the Primum Mobile, where the source of all of us angels hangs back at. Each layer's fun in its own way, though the Moon kind of sucks despite the great view you can get from there. But let's not get too ahead of ourselves - holiness first!"

The angel points his finger at you, not minding the absence of road in front of the van, and you feel interesting for a moment. Special. Like something is looking right at your soul, and not finding it particularly objectionable somehow! It's a pretty amazing feeling, you have to say.

But that in itself is just a prelude - what follows next is more interesting. You feel a tendril of your own flesh, less than nanometers in thickness, completely invisible to the naked eye and, you suspect, possibly not actually your flesh at all, given its thinness and how it seems to go right through the angel, then through the door of the van, and then suddenly take on the speed of light, tearing forward into the void, your mind only vaguely cognizant of the fact that a piece of you seems to be traveling further and faster than anything manmade ever has, and possibly ever will. And despite the laws of physics technically forbidding such a thing (though much of what you've seen so far contradicts a whole lot of those anyway), it just keeps speeding up more and more, stretching out beyond the stars, beyond all you have ever even vaguely known in your life, and finally touching what you cannot entirely confirm, but believe to be the edge of the universe. The sheer distance your being seems to have traveled feels like quite a dangerous concept for the mind to even begin to properly process, and so you, in a fit of uncommon wisdom, simply don't.

And then, all of a sudden, what feels like divine lightning strikes your nigh-infinite tendril of flesh, and it begins to burn at faster-than-light speeds like a wick, trivializing the true distance it travels by simply being so damn fast. And then, with a jolt, the flame runs back into your being, filling a hole you didn't know you even had with a holy light, one that all but dwarfs the little pinprick of being that has already been aligned to magic, and more than compensating for the fragment of essence you just burnt.

Larry has internalized some holiness! He has one point to spend on his stats, and gets the ability to choose "Angel" as a keyword when researching spells! In addition, Divine or Angel spells in his repertoire gain a +1 casting bonus!

"Pretty cool, huh? You're now part angel! And the better you do, the more angel you'll become - soon you'll be able to navigate the heavens, even!"

"Because I don't know who either of those people are and that guy pretty heavily implied he was going to kill me if I don't help."

"Ah! Good points, both of them. The profligates are these slavemongering creatures you currently serve, and the Three Shadows are who you spoke to in the far below! As for the second point, what if I and the other mounts could help you? Concentrate for a bit, focus your mind on the use of the rivers! And then patiently cast it, but use it to split up their forces! Create little islands! Split them up so the defenders can slay them with ease! And we, the so-called riding animals, could help you in this! Carry you away, or forward, and make their commanders topple from their lofty positions! Create chaos!"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: June 28, 2014, 03:58:51 pm »

"I thought no one was supposed to know about those guys."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: June 28, 2014, 05:02:42 pm »

My, what is that? It ... it seems of power.

Waddle quickly to the power source! Try to absorb it once I get there. Eating reflex.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: June 28, 2014, 05:12:11 pm »

"I thought no one was supposed to know about those guys."

"No one was! But we, we are the Inspired!"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: June 28, 2014, 06:14:41 pm »

"What? Also, since you seem to know about stuff: was there some kind of time dilation while I was down there? Because the Garmentions certainly didn't have enough time to advance this far."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: June 28, 2014, 08:29:53 pm »

((Those angels are bad judges of character.))

Wow.  That was intense.

"Wow.  That was intense."

He grunted.  "Should I ask about all that stretchy and eternity stuff?"

+1 affinity, because power is always a valid option!

Spoiler: Larry Sheet (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2226 on: June 28, 2014, 09:19:13 pm »

"Oh, great! I wonder if it works in reverse too."

Cast volley of golden high heels at the mattress target again, but this time focus on making them huge, make them shoes fit for a clown!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: June 29, 2014, 06:04:15 am »

"What? Also, since you seem to know about stuff: was there some kind of time dilation while I was down there? Because the Garmentions certainly didn't have enough time to advance this far."

"You obviously have no experience as a demiurge, then! Hah! You are presumptuous of the civilizations of the world, while at the same time you know very little! The world you created was fully formed and, though you are a silly muppet at your brightest, you have created history in the same swoop as you have created the weeds that reach the heavens!"

"Now, think carefully on the rivers! Concentrate! But do not use your magical abilities yet!"

"Wow.  That was intense."

He grunted.  "Should I ask about all that stretchy and eternity stuff?"

"Oh, that's just you connecting to Angel Central. Or the Source. Or whatever mystical name you'd like to call it. It's where all angels spring from, on the edge of the universe! It's the bit that moves the other bits. The Ninth Sphere. Normally people aren't really too cognizant of touching it, but there are exceptions, obviously."

The van comes to a gentle stop, and you notice a great sea of brown stretch out before you, above which you can spot a series of interconnected floating terraces with varied furniture adorning the surface - the van appears to be parked at a pier of sorts, with a staircase leading to the terrace area, where a whole lot of people and not-people seem to be gathered and discussing something.

"We're here! Saturn, Sphere of the Contemplative. You probably don't know anyone here, but that's okay, they like that sort of thing. Shall we go and greet the masses?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: June 29, 2014, 07:46:33 am »

John gags, spits on the ground, and then spits some more before turning to James

"I was trying to deduce why the stairs are so slippery. I am not a clever man. Do you think we can even make it upstairs using these stairs, because this shit is both extremely nasty and slipepry." He says before spitting some more.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: June 29, 2014, 07:50:50 am »

John gags, spits on the ground, and then spits some more before turning to James

"I was trying to deduce why the stairs are so slippery. I am not a clever man. Do you think we can even make it upstairs using these stairs, because this shit is both extremely nasty and slipepry." He says before spitting some more.

"I think... yes. We just need to be careful."
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:36:38 am by Harry Baldman »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: June 29, 2014, 09:35:05 am »

"Can you direct me in the direction of those other guys that I sent to do my bidding before the Three Shadows pulled me down."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: June 29, 2014, 09:38:11 am »

"Can you direct me in the direction of those other guys that I sent to do my bidding before the Three Shadows pulled me down."

"They're far away and not worth speaking of! In a poleward direction, if I recall correctly! But more specifically than that I cannot inform you!"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: June 29, 2014, 10:06:31 am »

"Which direction is that?"
Go that way.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: June 29, 2014, 10:09:56 am »

"Allright. Let's try again. Slow and careful this time."

Fight drunkeness and try again. Be sure to grab hold of the railing and take it slow, one step at a time. Have James support me if necessary

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: June 29, 2014, 10:15:54 am »

"Which direction is that?"
Go that way.

"It is in one of two directions, either to your left or to your right! But by going either way you condemn yourself to repeated stabbing! Do you wish to continue?"
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 244