Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 255138 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Caution Meets Wind, Adventure Ensues
« Reply #2250 on: June 29, 2014, 01:40:49 pm »

((I'm detecting a bit of railroading. Also Is there a god of vortexes? Cause if so I'd like t meet him.))
"Fine."
Focus on messing them up without using my magic yet.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2251 on: June 29, 2014, 03:26:33 pm »

((I'm detecting a bit of railroading.))
((I think it's less railroading and more "whatever you do, for some reason, things keep getting from bad to worse for you".))

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: June 29, 2014, 04:06:34 pm »

((I'm detecting a bit of railroading.))
((I think it's less railroading and more "whatever you do, for some reason, things keep getting from bad to worse for you".))
((I'm pretty sure it's just he has decided not to just give me a vortex of salty dentures and that the only way home was through a deal with the Shadows. He wasn't prepared for me to resign to living here pretty much forever and so death threats. At least that's what I would have done.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: June 29, 2014, 05:04:26 pm »

THE DUNKER is quite interested in this fascinating power source, and says as much, moving blindly toward it as he does so.

"My, what is that? It... it seems of power," he mumbles, perhaps due to the blood loss making him dizzy if one discounts the fact that he hasn't really lost all that much blood.

"Hey, don't wander off," Joanie sternly warns him, but it is a bit too late, for he has already begun his stride, and THE DUNKER does not break his stride just like that. He needs to be counter-motivated, and counter-motivated most effectively at that. He moves forward and forward, and feels the power grow closer to him.

"Stop, fatty!" the other guy says, but he is unpleasant and probably red-haired at that, so THE DUNKER cares not. He just keeps moving forward, guiding himself up a staircase while the others follow him, still saying all sorts of things. Surprisingly, he finds it easy to navigate the halls as the power guides him, effortlessly locating another staircase and moving up it without so much as thinking.

When the outdoor air hits his face once more, and the ground becomes a little sloped, the man feels a little less secure, but disregards this just as he might disregard his gag reflex while in the middle of a feeding frenzy. Stepping forward confidently while the surface of the roof bends inward a little, he finds his way to the place he needs to be - as close as he can get, he knows. And then he lets the power flow into him. It flows very nicely, and he feels a reprehensible little mortal fragment of him, the soul's equivalent of an earlobe or perhaps a middle kidney, evaporate into nothing as it is substituted by something that feels like pure magic, and not the heroin kind of magic, either.

THE DUNKER has obtained a stat point to put in one of his stats! In addition, he can now select a particular Effect when researching spells!

In a flash, the tentacle hairs all fly off him, repelled by his sudden transformation, and his stomach tingles quite a bit! And he also notices that the bullet holes in his body appear conspicuously absent now, though he's not so sure about the bullets themselves. Eh, probably doesn't matter. At least not in comparison to his current position, which he can appreciate with his regained gift of sight - that is, the fact that he is standing on a precarious wooden outcropping of a wooden roof, a solid three story drop beneath him. To its credit, the roof seems to be holding, as he hasn't walked to the end yet, but he feels his balance quickly fading now that he's made the rookie mistake of looking down.

"Whoa, he actually did it!" says Joanie, becoming ponderous for a moment from her altogether safer position on the roof, the blood from her uniform quickly disappearing, and the uniform itself quickly being repaired of any damage done to it.

"Now let's see him not fall to his death, huh?" the man with her, indeed quite the unpleasant ginger, says.

Eta, excited by this new discovery, wonders if she can't make some clown shoes instead - logic dictates that she should be able to. But is logic not the antithesis of magic? Probably not, but you never know.

[Eta's affinity roll: 5+1]

This time, a rather huge amount of high heeled shoes of many different shapes and sizes shoots out of her palms - however, none of them seem to fit the specifications desired, which is more than a little disappointing. Lois seems rather pleased, though a little alarmed by the way the wall seems to crack a little as the large amount of shoes hits it. Not to mention put off by the incredible amount of noise about a hundred or so metal shoes banging against one another produces.

"Er... I'm not really sure experimenting here is the best idea..." she notes worriedly.

John, taking James' advice into consideration, decides to brave the staircase once more.

"All right. Let's try again. Slow and careful this time."

And so they do. Unfortunately, this takes them upward for but a moment before John discovers, much to his displeasure, that the railing is, for the standards of this age, overly snotty. Losing both his composure and his balance, he once more tumbles down the stairs, pulling James along with him - fortunately, neither of them is particularly hurt due to the way they only fell about a meter or so - even somebody as nervous and tense and James couldn't hurt himself falling that distance.

"You know, I don't think this is working. Maybe we can try a different set of stairs?" James says.

Larry agrees to go out and meet all these contemplatives that his guardian angel seems to be such a fan of. And so they step out of the van, the angel leading the way as they walk down the staircase toward the nearest group, all of whom seem to be smoking something multicolored while sitting on what appear, for all intents and purposes, to be ratty old couches you'd pay someone to take away. Interestingly, these people don't look very bearded. Or, for that matter, very wise. Some of them are plainly obviously not people - one is simply a weird, tentacled, glistening yellow mass with unnervingly human eyes in it. And a lady sitting on a particular couch seems like a cross between a mother of a god and a stripper, except without a face that would make either of those relatable - instead, it's just a blank patch of soft green light there, any features completely indiscernible.

They all seem to be in the middle of some kind of frivolous chat, one that Larry's guardian angel interrupts.

"Hey, guys! What's going on?" he asks in a way that reminds Larry of a sorority girl. The others turn to him.

"Hey!" the blank-faced angelic stripper says, waving her hand.

"What's up, Cal?" the yellow thing asks.

"You brought a guest," a small woman sitting next to the stripper says, not entirely pleased from the sound of it.

"Oh, that's Larry. Thought I'd bring him over here. He hasn't been to one of our parties before," the angel apparently named Cal says.

"Oh, cool! Can I ask him a question first?"

"Go for it!"

"Okay, so," the angel begins, turning toward Larry, her green face somehow peering into his very soul. "What kind of future do you think the world has, Larry?"

Dave, deterred by repeated threats of stabbing, begins to concentrate on the idea of casting magic, the thought of messing these varied individuals he ostensibly worked for some moments ago right up, and quickly begins to realize that maybe planning this sort of thing out and preparing himself for casting a spell may, in fact, be more effective than just trying to pull magic out of his bum all the time.

It's a pretty good feeling.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: June 29, 2014, 05:31:14 pm »

((I kind of meant you decided to play it legit instead of just giving me egress which was a perfectly good choice. And I do have plans for how to get home. But I choose not to use them as this is more fun and likely contains far less people freaking out over my appearance.))Now pull magic out of my bum.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2255 on: June 29, 2014, 06:37:10 pm »

"Nonsense! This is an excellent place to perform some tests. All the other apartments are doing repair work and we-..." Eta noticed the cracks on the wall. "Oh, yeah, you might have a point."
If I keep doing this I might end up bringing that wall down. I guess I could get a bigger target, but that would only delay the problem, not fix it. I could probably remodel the apartment to make it a place for proper experimentation once I get some money. Or perhaps just buy some place out of town.
Still, that leaves us with the problem of what to do now... I guess I could go find that Leyline, see what it's like. Or maybe I could call Mr. Pilton, go meet him, see what he has to say? Or would it be better if I focused on financially ensuring myself first by selling those extra golden shoes?
Decisions, decisions...

[d3(Leyline\Pilton\Money):1(Leyline)]
I suppose the leyline is more important. Whatever happens next, I'm going to need some power and a place to rest. Perhaps even a place to experiment in. And if the leyline can be that place then that's where I need to go.
"Well, if this can't be a place to experiment in, then perhaps the Leyline could be. What do you say Lois? Would you like to go see what a Leyline is like?"
Hide the shoes, close all unnecessary lights and heating! Lock the apartment! To Mills High! Unless Lois disagrees, but I doubt that.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:40:32 pm by Parisbre56 »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: June 30, 2014, 03:17:49 am »

Halesey just stood about for a few minutes, his mind wandering and trying to take in what he'd just done. He'd gone to a heaven and killed an angel. With magic. Magic and mafiosi. Shit. Hopefully no one would be pissed about that. But he'd done it all for the potato god, and he remembered the faith he had, and therefore the faith he must have that the potato god would help him, if it was meant to be.

Which reminded him - he had to go show the potato god his demon blessing.

"Tubular father, wherefore thou art and hitherto in thine heaven of amazing potato, er... something whereupon something something hark, amen. I'll just be a few seconds, dude: I am coming to gaze upon thee!"

Cast a potato vortex, step into it and towards Potato God. Assuming this works, inform it that I have the required blessing.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: June 30, 2014, 10:50:56 am »

Larry was nonplussed.  This wasn't his kind of party.  Better give a good answer, though.

"With all this magic and whatever running around, I'd say it's a pretty damn weird one."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: July 04, 2014, 11:17:16 pm »

The DUNKER is pleased, and puts his stat point into Mind!

Indeed, it would be unpleasant to die now. There is more to be gained, I can sense it!

Use my fat rolls like a balancing stick, walking back toward the others until they can grab hold of me. Keep going until I'm on the roof. If I do fall, use Emit Garbage to make a large pile of organic waste to land safely in.

Spoiler: DUNKER Enchanted (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:39:46 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: July 08, 2014, 02:45:42 pm »

"Oh, very well. Let's try and find some diffrent stairs then. But they better be cleaner than these, or else."

Go and find a different set of stairs, inspect them

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2260 on: July 12, 2014, 11:50:31 am »

Dave knows that now he is prepared - prepared to drag the deadly force of the thylacine river from deep within his nether regions, to stir the terrible force of marsupial vengeance against his former masters!

[Dave's affinity roll: 1-->1-1+2]

He pulls on his bum, and does so firmly with the power of his considerable mind, and the fabric of space and time parts in the area of his lower back, sending forth a stream of thylacines! Or, rather, a line of them, as they seem to be struggling to get out of the mannish confines of his body.

Lest more be said, let it be known that Dave becomes rather well-acquainted with the fact that his bum is not prepared to birth a new generation of adult extinct marsupials.

[Dave's body roll: 6-->1-1]

Feeling an odd desire to be elsewhere despite the fact that the origin of the process is indeed him, Dave begins to run away like a particularly shaky anesthesiologist who has not had his morning ether, though the process does not abate. With that having failed, he tries flailing his arms, which similarly helps little. And shrieking like a wounded koala is, unfortunately, much the same in terms of usefulness. But it does make a lot of people look at him! The underwear warriors seem to be wondering whether they are observing the practice of magic gone horribly wrong or elementary, if alien physiology gone horribly right.

Eta, after coming to terms with the idea that maybe attacking her apartment wall with violent barrages of shoes isn't the greatest idea, flips a mental coin and decides to investigate the leyline.

"Well, if this can't be a place to experiment in, then perhaps the Leyline could be. What do you say Lois? Would you like to go see what a Leyline is like?"

"Well, sure. Why not?" Lois says, and Eta responds by quickly hiding all of the golden shoes produced, including the really heavy ones she keeps carrying, then shutting off as many essential functions of the apartment as she plausibly can, then heading out after locking up securely. And from there, she proceeds toward Mills High!

The path is a long one, and on foot takes her more than an hour - and that, sadly, seems to be the only possibility, given how mass transit seems to be taking a holiday today, and a lot of the citizens appear to be staying home as well. Can't really blame them - things are a bit unstable presently, and though the weatherman did not mention any chances of dinosaur rain today, most are confident that his is not the most informed opinion on these matters.

Eventually, though, they reach the school! A large structure made after a very basic, oft-repeated school blueprint that one can see in at least a few other locations in this very city, a relic of a time of glorious expansion in the early eighties, its roof is partially collapsed by some massive impact, and the facade, in addition to some structural damage, seems to be coated in a viscous, heterogenous layer of stinking gore with bits of bone sticking out. There is a clearly visible open entrance, a curiously clean washing machine standing right next to it, and a hairy, large humanoid appears to be lounging in the front yard, scooping up little bits of leftover sun-dried viscera as a disgusting lunch surrogate. The sight of it, as well as the incredibly, almost unimaginably awful smell, is more than enough to make Eta retch and turn away as she takes it all in, and Lois, from the sound of it, is even greener around the gills.

"Do we *hurk* have to go there?" Lois asks, seemingly on the verge of losing her breakfast.

What's more, there is a palpable air of wrongness about the place and... hold on, are those people there on the roof? What are they doing near the big honking hole? Don't they know it's dangerous? And what are those red-pink pillars stretching out upward next to the building?

Halesey, wondering if invading Paradise was, strictly speaking, advisable, given the obvious alternative of where he would end up if that option was taken off the table.

But then he remembers that Potato Heaven, may its true name be forever sacred and unknown, is totally a thing that exists, and his mind is calmed, though his inner potato never rustled to begin with, being ineffable in its eternal stability. That reminds him, actually. He's got business with the big tuber!

"Tubular father, wherefore thou art and hitherto in thine heaven of amazing potato, er... something whereupon something something hark, amen. I'll just be a few seconds, dude: I am coming to gaze upon thee!" he says loudly, and then begins to conjure a potato vortex before himself.

[Halesey's affinity roll: 6-->1+1]

Stirred by the everlasting love and earthiness of Halesey's soul, space is rent in twain, two halves spinning into each other, eternal potato stretching before Halesey. The dust of the surrounding land, insects, stray cats and more are pulled toward the domain of the One True God, but Halesey steps toward it of his own will, free of the fear and hesitation that marks the apostate and the uninformed alike. And the world of endless potato welcomes him with love, and he dives through its ocean of tubers, sailing swiftly on the streams toward the domain of God Beneath.

It is indeed hard to stay on his course - the beautiful waves and the lovely air are most inviting, and to resist the urge to frolic is difficult as Halesey's brain swells with happiness. But the call of God is powerful - it is clear that he is wanted, and wanted immediately. So he surfs the tide of tubers onward, eventually settling into a low orbit, lower than he dared come before, around God, bathing in His radiance and dancing with His moontatoes.

"Well done, acolyte," the voice of the Lord says, as close to elation as a being far beyond conventional emotion possibly can be. "You have walked the twin paths of the false saviors, and in doing so have walked neither. The narrow path lies ahead, but it, unlike others, points toward eternity. Ask a favor of the Lord, and it shall be granted within the confines of your station, true believer."

Another choice lay before him - but what will the potato pilgrim choose as his reward?

Larry wonders if this is one of those weird intellectual parties. Probably - it seems like the type where the women would be loose, were they not far more interested in Kafka and people who like Kafka. Larry, being the sort of guy who only vaguely remembers drinking a Kafka once in his life and finding it oddly similar to a cold espresso, except far more expensive, clearly does not belong here. But he can shoot for the next best thing - pretending he belongs here!

"With all this magic and whatever running around, I'd say it's a pretty damn weird one."

It's not a very valiant effort, considering the lack of quotes from established authors, but maybe people like that rustic charm down here. As a bit of a contrast, you know.

"Indecisive answer. And really, 'weird'? That just speaks of a lack of imagination," the angel says, tilting her head. The others chuckle a little. She sighs, then slowly gets up. Looking at Larry rather unreadably, given her featureless face, she extends a delicate hand toward him. "Would you care for a dance?"

THE DUNKER, pleased at the sudden expansion of his mind the power of the leyline has brought, teeters on the edge of the broken roof.

"Indeed, it would be unpleasant to die now. There is more to be gained, I can sense it!" he says with conviction.

"That's the spirit," Joanie says supportively while THE DUNKER tries to tentatively balance in his tenuous position.

[THE DUNKER's finesse roll: 2-1]

His attempt to use his own love handles as a balancing stick, naturally, goes about as well as could be expected, and his gyrations bring only further embarrassment and imbalance to his gait, culminating in a fateful slip before he's even properly completed his first step.

[THE DUNKER's body roll: 3-1]

As an instinctive grab toward the roof fails, THE DUNKER begins to plummet downward like a balloon filled with thorium, and tries to give himself a better chance by emitting some garbage.

[THE DUNKER's affinity roll: 3+2]

His skin momentarily tingles, and a steady stream of garbage begins flying outward in every direction, the plummeting fat man becoming a sudden refuse airburst. It fails to slow him down in the least, given the equal flow of garbage in all directions, but it does provide him with a softer bed to land on!

[THE DUNKER's body roll: 3-1+1]

As he flops on the garbage-filled ground, his breath is momentarily struck right out of him, and his entire flabby form shakes painfully as he deforms the pile beneath him, leaving a perfect bodyprint that lasts but a moment before the rising amount of garbage fills it, slowly elevating the man in place.

He is glad to say that nothing feels particularly broken, if only because of the help of the garbage beneath, but damn if this isn't going to hurt later on. In fact, he feels more bruised than he's ever been in his life, and it hurts quite a lot already.

John, far too drunk to ascend any kind of slippery stairs, decides to heed James' advice. The two of them begin to look for another staircase, only to find... something.

It's a hallway, technically. The one leading further into the hospital. But the problem is, something's blocking it - a mass of some kind. Glistening, purple and rough to the touch, it bars the way toward one wing of the hospital. Undulating slightly, it taunts John with its unassailable, primordial, wet form.

"I'm... not sure I understand," James mutters as he regards the strange formation.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:41:33 am by Harry Baldman »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: July 12, 2014, 12:07:55 pm »

MAKE IT STOP!!!!!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: July 12, 2014, 12:11:22 pm »

((Woo!))

Larry wasn't much of a dancer, but it was a damn sight better than trying to think deep and stuff.  "Sure, let's dance."

Dance!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: July 12, 2014, 01:36:56 pm »

"Well James, it would seem our way is blocked by a very large, wet-ish purple mass. As we both know, the only way to logically proceed is to poke it. It's only scientific, really."

Gently poke the mass with my figner, make sure to take a few steps back after poking

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: July 12, 2014, 02:09:00 pm »

((crikey, I'm going to have to think hard about this))

"Before I choose, O Great Potato,  do You mind if I ask you a couple of questions?"

Assuming he doesn't, these are:

"Firstly, how can I progress further along the Path of the Potato? And secondly - and please, do not imagine my faith wavers, for my faith is unshakeable - secondly, what is at the end of the Path of the Potato? Is there an end? I would be happy to serve the Potato for an age, but still, I am trapped with my mortal body, and am buffered and blown by its wants and needs from time to time, when I am not encompassed by Potato. For example, I am sure that the best thing I could ask, as a favour from You, is something that would aid my progress along the Potatoey Path; yet itches at the back of my mind whisper at me: 'Halesey! Ask for money! Ask for control of that leyline! Ask for a date with Dana the pink lady!' I hold these voices at bay, yet I am not far enough along the Potatoey Path to be entirely deaf to them. Can you advise me, or should I instead seek out another Prophet of the Potato for guidance? It is hard to know what to do, in these changing times: what, that is, apart from throw oneself wholeheartedly into the service of a just and powerful God. Do you ask anything else of me?"

Halesey wasn't expecting so much to come out, and he worried that the Potato God wasn't quite the type to which one should speak thus, so personally, but he figured it worth a try. Now that, after over two decades of existence, he had found his destiny, he truly wanted to fulfill it. He wanted to serve the Potato.

He just wasn't sure how, or where it would lead him.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 244