Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256021 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2415 on: July 27, 2014, 02:04:52 pm »

"I don't know. Just some guys with weird rules against priests and scholars."

~Oh, the VERY first guys! Yeah, you need to go that-a-way!~ the voice in your head says, and you instantly feel pointed in the right direction.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: July 27, 2014, 02:56:26 pm »

"Thanks!"
Onward!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2417 on: July 27, 2014, 07:30:31 pm »

"Who was your informant?"
"If I'm going to answer that (or anything else that might pertain to the identity of my sources), then I'm going to have to ask a favour from you. If I share their name and you approach them and start asking questions, then it's very likely they won't trust me anymore and I loose an informant. If, however, you could offer a replacement, then I could be persuaded. So, what I'm asking is this: if anything comes out of the information I give you or if you hear anything related to this case, then I would like to be the first to know. Early enough to be the first reporter on the scene."
Maybe that sounded too demanding. I don't want her to feel like she's being threatened. I want her to feel like she's got an ally in me, a friend even.
"You give me your word you'll do that and I promise: anything I have discovered and anything I will discover, you will be the first to know."
I hope she doesn't think I'm crazy.

((Well, I've seen this work in movies. Let's see if it works in games.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: July 29, 2014, 03:52:06 pm »

THE DUNKER, enthralled by the low, low price of a whole eleven donuts, purchases the box and quickly stores it somewhere nobody would immediately notice, question or perceive - where exactly that is escapes the notice of all three onlookers, but they all have to agree that the box has been hidden discreetly indeed, for one can see no sign of it on the man's shiny, slightly sweaty surface. Rather than question it, they continue on the tasks at hand, which happen to be a spot of drinking for Nigel and Joanie and a bit of whatever it is he does when he's idle for the bartender - bottle twirling, maybe? Nobody really gets to find out, as both Joanie and Nigel order another drink - both opt for a Dropped Croissant, interestingly. Nigel opts to drink his much slower than Joanie, and doesn't seem to enjoy it that much.

"Ugh. It's just wine with bread in it," he says, pulling a face. "How can you people enjoy this?"

"It's a matter of taste, Nigey," Joanie replies after finishing her second round, more than slightly drunk already. "We have it, you don't."

Just then, though, Joanie's phone rings, and she immediately picks up.

"Yeah?... Oh?... Huh!... Yeah, a little bit, heh... Right now? Malloy-McCoy. Come over, maybe? We'll talk there... whaddaya mean? It's totally cool. There's drinks and stuff, and nobody says nothing to nobody. So to speak, heh heh. So yeah, come on over. You know where it is, right? Right. See ya," she says, then hangs up, laughing to herself. She turns to her two friends.

"Hey, guys! Shauna's coming over. Raven, too, I guess. She's all up in a tizzy about something, I guess. So she might kill the mood a little. I hope you don't mind!"

"Somebody's always got a problem, isn't that the truth?"

John quickly follows the train of thought his magazine seems to have pointed him to, and realizes the blatantly obvious.

"Right, so it's a portal. Well James, this isn't even that weird for me anymore. Come on, James, who dares wins and all that junk," he says, pulling his buddy toward the hole.

"Well... uh... okay?" James mutters, not resisting one bit, and even walking toward the hole - standing side by side, they jump into the hole, and a nice little episode of darkness ensues. They fall. They continue falling.

Seven minutes later, they are still falling.

"Uh... I think hitting the ground is going to hurt..." James states at this point, but over the next three minutes this hypothesis of his does not get to be tested. Nor does this happen in the ten minutes that follow after that.

Not one to refuse the rag of enlightenment, Larry goes ahead and soaks the rag, then puts it up to his face and whiffs.

[Larry's body roll: 3-1]

His immediate reaction to the extremely powerful, ether-like (with a strong hint of pure capsaicin) liquid evaporating right into his lungs is a powerful coughing fit, the rag almost falling out of his hands. But there's no amount of coughing that'll get this particular thing out, unfortunately for him.

"You're new to thith - it'th an acquired tathte," the Oldthinker informs, looking oddly... deep. As if the previous image Larry had seen of him was a mere reflection in a mirror. There's a reality to him now, some unplaceable quality he seems to be able to perceive, as if Larry had looked behind some form of curtain to see the other side. "You want to take thlower breathth."

Arielle, for her part, looks absolutely radiant, even while she holds a rag in front of her face to snort the fumes it gives off, which is normally kind of a turn-off. In fact, she seems to have become closer in looks to her image in the mag, although with a notable change, that being two dim white lights Larry can vaguely perceive within her face, placed where her eyes should be. Phinny, who seems to have gotten eight whiffs in, emits a sound of marching, and looks heavier than ever, though her silhouette has a sharpness to it. The marching falls in tune perfectly with Beagle's buzzing, which has also taken on a rhythm. Larry can make out tiny whirlpools on the bee man's surface, as well as unidentifiable patterns.

After thanking his overseer, Dave walks in the direction he was just pointed in - it is a simple path, he finds, one rich in mold to chew on to keep himself nourished and grain alcohol to drink to keep himself both drunk and less thirsty than usual. It does not take him long at all to trudge along a red brick road and find his way to what looks like a village, all black mounds reinforced with chimney bricks, smoke pouring out of holes in the things. Standing a moment on the top of a hill and looking down upon the area, he becomes aware of the fact that the village is filled with small, flying underwear creatures flying this way and that, looking nervous and fidgety while they attend to their daily routines. The Garmentions, as he's dubbed them. However, none of them seem in any way familiar, which is something that makes sense, he guesses, since there's no real faces or anything like that to distinguish them by, and they're all of similar size.

Eta, in quite the dangerous mood, tries to bargain with Officer Rieux.

"If I'm going to answer that (or anything else that might pertain to the identity of my sources), then I'm going to have to ask a favour from you. If I share their name and you approach them and start asking questions, then it's very likely they won't trust me anymore and I lose an informant. If, however, you could offer a replacement, then I could be persuaded. So, what I'm asking is this: if anything comes out of the information I give you or if you hear anything related to this case, then I would like to be the first to know. Early enough to be the first reporter on the scene."

She pauses for a moment. Officer Rieux has stopped taking notes, and appears to be staring right at her.

"You give me your word you'll do that and I promise: anything I have discovered and anything I will discover, you will be the first to know."

Officer Rieux remains silent for but a few seconds more. She inhales deeply and exhales, and closes her eyes for a moment before speaking.

"Ma'am, you're currently the person with the possibly very important information, and I understand how you might be tempted to bargain with me, considering your profession and all. But I'm not sure you fully understand the gravity of the situation. From what you might see in the news or in the headlines, this all probably seems like some kind of surreal, quirky event that makes for a lot of interesting reporting. But beneath all that, there is one fact that you might be forgetting. People are dying because of all this. Twelve confirmed dead so far, to be exact, with around sixty people reported missing, according to the latest news. A whole neighborhood was nearly leveled not two hours ago. And we still don't know anything about what's really happening. So I guess what I'm asking here is, can we not bargain here? There are lives on the line, and the more me and my colleagues know, the more we can do to help," she explains, then sighs. "I've seen the movies, and I guess that you have, too, so what I'm really asking is, could you please not be that person? You know what person I'm talking about, right? Can we not pull teeth here and just get down to solving the most important problem? You know, do some good? Maybe save a life or two, shed some light on the crisis we're going through?"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: July 29, 2014, 04:21:49 pm »

"So... these the guys?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: July 29, 2014, 04:38:18 pm »

With my size it'll take many drinks to get me drunk, so I'm not opposed to whoever this is coming over. It'll deter me from doing drunken sorcery.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: July 29, 2014, 04:47:34 pm »

"Somehow, I don't think we'll ever actually hit the ground. This is rather comfortable though." John says, as he puts his hands behind his head "I'm not averse to just falling into the void forever. At least there's no demonic cows here. What do you say? Want to stay like this a while, or should we try to find a way out?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2422 on: July 29, 2014, 05:55:10 pm »

Eta keeps looking at the officer straight in the eyes with her best "I'm determined" look she could accomplish for a few seconds, hoping that she will give in and give her some sort of promise or anything, really. However, seeing that this is not going to happen, she looks down and sighs, her features softening.
"Well, you can't blame me for trying. I would had told you anyway. I too, want to help. It's one of the reasons I'm doing this. I'm not insensitive to the pain these recent events have caused, nor have I been left untouched by them."
Yes, this is the right choice. I shouldn't feel bad for sharing that information. She said she dreamt of magic. Maybe she's somehow related to stopping this. And she's probably not a very good person, testing magic on others like that. Someone responsible wouldn't treat magic like this, wouldn't just hand it out.
Despite those excuses, Eta still felt bad, like she was betraying someone who trusted her. But she had a choice to make here and her instincts were telling her Rieux was way more trustworthy and responsible than the donut girl and her circle of accomplices. So she decided to listen to them. She sighed again and continued.
"She introduced herself to me as Joan, although I don't know if that's her true name. At the time, she was selling donoughts in a donought shop downtown. We got to talking due to some problems I had with the donoughts she was trying to make me eat and that's when she told me about those leylines. I don't know much else about her except for what she told me during that conversation, but I have her number. I could call her, maybe convince her to meet us later, if you would find that useful. Like I said, I want to help."
Eta waited for a few more seconds to give the officer time to decide wether she wanted to continue with her story or if she had more questions about Joan.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:30:39 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: July 29, 2014, 09:12:09 pm »

Larry cleared his throat and rubbed his eyes.  This was strong shit; way more than the dope he had smoked.  Hell, this made pot look like coffee.

"Shit's pretty real, yeah.  I can... see more?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: July 30, 2014, 06:14:33 am »

"So... these the guys?"

~I have no idea! So probably yes!~

With my size it'll take many drinks to get me drunk, so I'm not opposed to whoever this is coming over. It'll deter me from doing drunken sorcery.

"Indeed! Let's drink, drink, this town is so great!" Joanie half-sings.

"Drink, drink, 'cause it's never too late," the bartender sings along quietly.

"Or maybe try to keep yourself coherent before they show up? Just as a suggestion?" Nigel suggests frustratedly.

"Nonsense, let's get pissed right away! That way I'll have the patience to listen to her! Bartender, next drink, same as before!"

"Make it count - only got two more croissants left," the bartender says, fixing up another Dropped Croissant for her.

"Somehow, I don't think we'll ever actually hit the ground. This is rather comfortable though." John says, as he puts his hands behind his head "I'm not averse to just falling into the void forever. At least there's no demonic cows here. What do you say? Want to stay like this a while, or should we try to find a way out?"

"Uh... well... okay. I think we can wait, sure."

Eta keeps looking at the officer straight in the eyes with her best "I'm determined" look she could accomplish for a few seconds, hoping that she will give in and give her some sort of promise or anything, really. However, seeing that this is not going to happen, she looks down and sighs, her features softening.
"Well, you can't blame me for trying. I would had told you anyway. I too, want to help. It's one of the reasons I'm doing this. I'm not insensitive to the pain these recent events have caused, nor have I been left untouched by them."
Yes, this is the right choice. I shouldn't feel bad for sharing that information. She said she dreamt of magic. Maybe she's somehow related to stopping this. And she's probably not a very good person, testing magic on others like that. Someone responsible wouldn't treat magic like this, wouldn't just hand it out.
Despite those excuses, Eta still felt bad, like she was betraying someone who trusted her. But she had a choice to make here and her instincts were telling her Rieux was way more trustworthy and responsible than the donut girl and her circle of accomplices. So she decided to listen to them. She sighed again and continued.
"She introduced herself to me as Joan, although I don't know if that's her true name. At the time, she was selling doughnuts in a doughnut shop downtown. We got to talking due to some problems I had with the doughnuts she was trying to make me eat and that's when she told me about those leylines. I don't know much else about her except for what she told me during that conversation, but I have her number. I could call her, maybe convince her to meet us later, if you would find that useful. Like I said, I want to help."
Eta waited for a few more seconds to give the officer time to decide wether she wanted to continue with her story or if she had more questions about Joan.

Officer Rieux takes a few notes as you speak.

"Hm. Strange. Before we speak more, how about we walk your friend to the emergency room? We can speak more on the way," she says, pointing at the disoriented and quiet Lois, who seems to be blinking a little rapidly. "By the way, could you give me that number? It might come in handy later."

Larry cleared his throat and rubbed his eyes.  This was strong shit; way more than the dope he had smoked.  Hell, this made pot look like coffee.

"Shit's pretty real, yeah.  I can... see more?"

"Yeah. And thath jutht from the firtht whiff. Wait until you get to ten."

"He's not kidding," Arielle says, putting down her rag. "I'm starting to feel disconnected already."

"Holy shit, I think I can see your soul over there, old man! Hahahah!" Phinny says, staring at the Oldthinker.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: July 30, 2014, 06:21:50 am »

John sighs

"Really, James? We're falling to our doom and you're okay with this? I've noticed this about you, but you seem to be going along with anything I say. You need to say what you think, my good man, voice your inner feelings. Tell me, what do you really think of this situation?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: July 30, 2014, 06:28:55 am »

John sighs

"Really, James? We're falling to our doom and you're okay with this? I've noticed this about you, but you seem to be going along with anything I say. You need to say what you think, my good man, voice your inner feelings. Tell me, what do you really think of this situation?"

"This is all... very confusing to me, I'm sorry to say," James says, rotating slowly as he falls. "None of it makes any sense. And when I start thinking about it... I don't know, my head starts to hurt. I know Mary is... somewhere. But I don't know... well, anything else. I need to find her, meet her..."

"Oh, James..." a distant voice says mournfully.

"Huh?"

"Why must we both suffer like this?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: July 30, 2014, 07:29:09 am »

"AHA!" John yells, throwing his arms. Not exactly up into the air, as he isn't sure which way is up at the moment. "Progress at last! Mary, is that you? How are you doing? Where are you? Poor James here has been looking all over for you, he was extremely distressed when I met him."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: July 30, 2014, 08:05:31 am »

Clearly the solution to the problem was just to take more.

Take a few more hits!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2429 on: July 30, 2014, 09:51:05 am »

"Yes, certainly. Come on Lois, get up. Are you feeling OK?" Eta said as she helped Lois stand. "I think I have it in my purse here, somewhere. Just be careful. I think she might be dangerous."

Help move Lois so she can get some help. Give Joan's number to Rieux.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 244