Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256196 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2430 on: July 30, 2014, 10:51:33 am »

"AHA!" John yells, throwing his arms. Not exactly up into the air, as he isn't sure which way is up at the moment. "Progress at last! Mary, is that you? How are you doing? Where are you? Poor James here has been looking all over for you, he was extremely distressed when I met him."

"He is lost. But I have found him now. Thank you."

"Mary? Are you... all right?"

"No worse than I usually am, yes..."

"Where are you?"

"Everywhere."

"Yes, certainly. Come on Lois, get up. Are you feeling OK?" Eta said as she helped Lois stand. "I think I have it in my purse here, somewhere. Just be careful. I think she might be dangerous."

Help move Lois so she can get some help. Give Joan's number to Rieux.

After giving Officer Rieux Joanie's number, you help Lois up.

"I'm... probably not okay," she says as you inquire about her well-being.

Together you head out of the precinct. Officer Rieux leads the way, asking you questions as you move along.

"So, while we are walking, could you recount your meeting with this donut girl? Joan? Why did she tell you about the leylines?"
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:00:21 am by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: July 30, 2014, 01:35:02 pm »

((Oh dear.))

DUNKER remains sober for the moment, idly looking around the bar and noting people's features while waiting for those friends of Joanie's to arrive.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2432 on: July 30, 2014, 02:40:10 pm »

"So, while we are walking, could you recount your meeting with this donut girl? Joan? Why did she tell you about the leylines?"
"Well, uh, she..."
Ah, what do I do?! Do I bend the truth to protect myself? Or should I be completely honest? What would be the best choice? What would be the right choice? Okay, okay, let's start with the easy stuff, stuff I know are harmless. I'll... cross that bridge when I get to it.
"I spent the last night in a hotel, since my apartment was hit by some kind of meteor, apparently. I got up in the morning to get some breakfast, so I tried the doughnut store.

I wanted to buy some croissants, but the girl who was running the store at the time, Joan, was really insistent on my buying some doughnuts. I thought that was fishy. She even offered me some for free. Then another man, a rather... rotund individual that was with her in the store ate a doughnut and started... well, he started coughing underwear. I started asking her about it and she told me she had put... magical drugs in the doughnuts as some sort of experiment. She sounded very happy with herself, so I indulged her, told her what she wanted to hear. It wasn't my first encounter with... magic, apparently, so it was less of a shock to me. She asked me where I had seen magic before and she seemed very interested in that, so I kept talking about it for a while, got her to open up and reveal some more."

Eta once again paused to see if the officer had any questions before continuing with her story.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:42:09 pm by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: July 30, 2014, 02:56:35 pm »

"Well, uh, she..."
Ah, what do I do?! Do I bend the truth to protect myself? Or should I be completely honest? What would be the best choice? What would be the right choice? Okay, okay, let's start with the easy stuff, stuff I know are harmless. I'll... cross that bridge when I get to it.
"I spent the last night in a hotel, since my apartment was hit by some kind of meteor, apparently. I got up in the morning to get some breakfast, so I tried the doughnut store.

I wanted to buy some croissants, but the girl who was running the store at the time, Joan, was really insistent on my buying some doughnuts. I thought that was fishy. She even offered me some for free. Then another man, a rather... rotund individual that was with her in the store ate a doughnut and started... well, he started coughing underwear. I started asking her about it and she told me she had put... magical drugs in the doughnuts as some sort of experiment. She sounded very happy with herself, so I indulged her, told her what she wanted to hear. It wasn't my first encounter with... magic, apparently, so it was less of a shock to me. She asked me where I had seen magic before and she seemed very interested in that, so I kept talking about it for a while, got her to open up and reveal some more."

Eta once again paused to see if the officer had any questions before continuing with her story.

"I see. What was your first encounter with this... magic, then?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: July 30, 2014, 03:08:03 pm »

((Narc!))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: July 30, 2014, 03:36:45 pm »

"Well only one way to find out. Hey guys I'm Dave. Have we met."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: July 30, 2014, 03:41:17 pm »

"Well only one way to find out. Hey guys I'm Dave. Have we met."

"You look like yer in need of a burnin'!" one of the nearest creatures replies, and the rest seem to agree once their attention is drawn to the incendiary remark.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: July 30, 2014, 03:44:05 pm »

"I'm not sure how to respond to that. I guess the best response would be why?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:52:17 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: July 30, 2014, 03:45:12 pm »

"You're...everywhere? What happened to you? And more importantly, how do we save you? I really need to reunite you and James here so I can go back to drinking myself to death over how horrible a person I am, you know. Busy busy. "

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2439 on: July 30, 2014, 04:50:06 pm »

((If I'm going to start snitching, let's snitch all the way!))
"I see. What was your first encounter with this... magic, then?"
"It was the night the meteor struck my apartment. I followed the trail of the 'meteor' to investigate. Because it seemed like the logical thing to do and it could lead to a good story. I was going to need some money to fix my apartment, after all. And I like the adventure.

Anyway, I reached the source, the alley behind Chez Ronardo's, and there was this man there, called himself Mr. Pilton, along with his... accomplice, I suppose. A half-naked man called..."
Eta held her hand in front of her face like she was looking at an imaginary notepad and closed her eyes "Dave David...son? I think. After explaining that to me, he was very adamant about recruiting me for something I humoured him, told him I was going to call him soon so that I could keep him talking, gain more info out of him. During that time he also claimed that his accomplice was responsible for the disaster. Maybe he found recruiting me as a way to make amends. Or maybe he had..." Eta winced for a split second. "something else in mind.

I don't know. Anyway, to demonstrate, Dave created some kind of strange liquid out of thin air. Looked like vinegar. I left there soon after that. There and then on that alley was my first contact with magic in a way I began to understand some things about it."

Technically, Eta hadn't lied at all, but had managed to give a version of the truth that could be easily misinterpreted. To prevent further questions on the subject, she decided to try to change it back to something safer.
"That encounter turned out to be rather fortuitous, because the Mention of Mr. Pilton's name was what got her talking to me. Apparently Joan, Pilton and at least three more individuals are members of some sort of organization. And each of them is linked to one of those so-called Leylines. Joan described them as able to remove a piece of yourself and replace it with magic, whatever that means. That's why I thought it was important to investigate."

Eta noticed she was speaking about this whole magic deal a lot more openly. If she had said what she was saying during any other time, they would had locked her up immediately. Now though... Could it be...?
"You..." She swallowed. "You don't think I'm crazy, right?"

"You're...everywhere? What happened to you? And more importantly, how do we save you? I really need to reunite you and James here so I can go back to drinking myself to death over how horrible a person I am, you know. Busy busy. "
((One who liked making terrible jokes could comment on how you got through the hole and ended up inside her.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: July 30, 2014, 05:37:42 pm »

"I'm not sure how to respond to that. I guess the best response would be why?

"You look like one a them reformer types. Funny-lookin', too! We ain't got no patience for yer kind, let that be made clear!"

"Nothing happened to me. I am what I am, and I always will be. Can you take care of James for me? He is confused. He's been around me for too long, and I fear for his safety."

"What?"

"He's lost sight of himself. And also of me. It's all bleeding together, spiraling out of my control. And now here you are, within reach of my voice, and I ask you, can you keep James safe?"

"It was the night the meteor struck my apartment. I followed the trail of the 'meteor' to investigate. Because it seemed like the logical thing to do and it could lead to a good story. I was going to need some money to fix my apartment, after all. And I like the adventure.

Anyway, I reached the source, the alley behind Chez Ronardo's, and there was this man there, called himself Mr. Pilton, along with his... accomplice, I suppose. A half-naked man called..."
Eta held her hand in front of her face like she was looking at an imaginary notepad and closed her eyes "Dave David...son? I think. After explaining that to me, he was very adamant about recruiting me for something I humoured him, told him I was going to call him soon so that I could keep him talking, gain more info out of him. During that time he also claimed that his accomplice was responsible for the disaster. Maybe he found recruiting me as a way to make amends. Or maybe he had..." Eta winced for a split second. "something else in mind.

I don't know. Anyway, to demonstrate, Dave created some kind of strange liquid out of thin air. Looked like vinegar. I left there soon after that. There and then on that alley was my first contact with magic in a way I began to understand some things about it."

Technically, Eta hadn't lied at all, but had managed to give a version of the truth that could be easily misinterpreted. To prevent further questions on the subject, she decided to try to change it back to something safer.
"That encounter turned out to be rather fortuitous, because the Mention of Mr. Pilton's name was what got her talking to me. Apparently Joan, Pilton and at least three more individuals are members of some sort of organization. And each of them is linked to one of those so-called Leylines. Joan described them as able to remove a piece of yourself and replace it with magic, whatever that means. That's why I thought it was important to investigate."

Eta noticed she was speaking about this whole magic deal a lot more openly. If she had said what she was saying during any other time, they would had locked her up immediately. Now though... Could it be...?
"You..." She swallowed. "You don't think I'm crazy, right?"

"You don't seem crazy. And I have no reason to doubt what you're telling me, do I?" she says, looking back at you earnestly. "There's no real alternative I have right now other than to believe you. At least it's some kind of lead."

A pause.

"Anyway, do you have any idea how this magic thing works? How did this Dave Davidson cause the meteor strike? And how does your concussed friend there figure into all this?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: July 30, 2014, 05:46:06 pm »

John is quiet for a moment, then sighs.

"It's never easy with you magic people, is it? Every since I got this magazine, everything has gone downhill.

No, I don't think I'll be able to keep him safe. Only days before now, a kindly man asked me to get four kids who got into trouble to safety. I lost track of two of them. I got the other two hurt, than whisked away to an alternate dimension to be horrible tortured by ethereal cows. Then we got out, and they pretty much went on a suicide run to kill the kindly old man that put me up to it in the first place. And I was too much of a coward to even stop them..."

John rubs his eyes

"So, you see, I don't have the greatest track record of keeping people safe. Now, my turn to ask a question. What the hell are you anyway?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: July 30, 2014, 06:00:09 pm »

John is quiet for a moment, then sighs.

"It's never easy with you magic people, is it? Every since I got this magazine, everything has gone downhill.

No, I don't think I'll be able to keep him safe. Only days before now, a kindly man asked me to get four kids who got into trouble to safety. I lost track of two of them. I got the other two hurt, than whisked away to an alternate dimension to be horrible tortured by ethereal cows. Then we got out, and they pretty much went on a suicide run to kill the kindly old man that put me up to it in the first place. And I was too much of a coward to even stop them..."

John rubs his eyes

"So, you see, I don't have the greatest track record of keeping people safe. Now, my turn to ask a question. What the hell are you anyway?"

"An outsider. And you must help James. He'll be lost without you once I expel him from here."

"Expel me?... Why?"

"You can't stay here, James. I'll just hurt you again by accident. And I don't want to keep you here, even if you agree to it. You've been here too long already."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: July 30, 2014, 06:04:17 pm »

"Oh but of coooourse. An outsider. And I must help James. Because he's been here too long."

John says, mustering all the sarcasm he can

"Is being vague and cryptic part of the job application? Do you fuckers ever give a straight answer? Where is here and why must I help James?! Because one moment I'm helping a man find his missing wife, and now this bullshit is happening! Again!"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: July 30, 2014, 07:45:43 pm »

"'Reformer types'?"
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 244