Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 255142 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2640 on: August 18, 2014, 02:48:08 pm »

"Uuuuhhhh.... Sure! Why not?"

Shake on it.

You shake his hand, and your palm is suddenly hit with an intense burning sensation. You look Clive in the eyes, and see a strange fire within them despite their opaque, silvery nature. A strong sense of foreboding hits you, and cold sweat begins to run down your face for some reason as you look at him.

"Glad we could agree so easily!" he says, drawing his hand back. Your palm still feels rather sore. "So, in case you need me, the name's Clive Caradog, okay? Either Clive or Caradog'll do if you say it three times - try the other if one doesn't work, or both at the same time. It should work, though. So, unless you got questions right now, I do have a bit of business to attend to."

"So how do you plan on meeting one?  Got a cell phone?"

"Jutht athk one to come over here. They'll prolly know what you're talking about. Tell them that I invite them here to come and go ath they wish."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: August 18, 2014, 02:56:54 pm »

"Alrighty.  I'll see if I can find him when I'm home again.  Sweet.  Now uh... lemme see if this works..."

Cast Bless Angel on myself!

Spoiler: Larry Sheet (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2642 on: August 18, 2014, 04:54:59 pm »

Well, that wasn't ominous at all. Eta thought sarcastically as she looked at her palm and rubbed it a little, trying to make the sensation go away. I guess I'll deal with that when the time comes.
"Just one, actually. Do you have any tips for telling someone you're a witch? Someone who might not be very happy about that?"

Listen to anything he has to say on the subject. If he has no questions, then:

"Okay then. Thanks again for everything. Expect me to call you later today, assuming nothing horrible happens until then. We have much to discuss and I have much to learn. Especially about that voice of yours. Until then, goodbye Mr. Caradog."

Go to my meeting with Rieux at that abstract art slash war memorial near Jew Street.

Spoiler: Eta (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: August 20, 2014, 08:04:23 am »

Dave allows himself to be taken down, down into the ground, his body pressing up against the solid mold all around him as the ground parts to accept him grudgingly. He descends for quite a while, until he suddenly stops in a dark chamber, similarly to before. A strange, but familiar set of voices address him.

"Report. Progress."

"Impatience. Increasing."

"False. Prophecy. Must. Be. Performed."

As Dave is about to give some kind of reply, the voice from his matchbox interrupts his train of thought.

~Say, Dave! Can you sense the Denture God? The power you seek? Try reaching out to it!~

He does sense something at the edge of his perception, as a matter of fact. The Denture God, huh?

Bored beyond belief, THE DUNKER has a brilliant thought. He can control booze. He is in a bar. This is a winning combination.

[THE DUNKER's affinity roll: 3+1]

A couple of bottles of grain alcohol behind the bartender begin to rustle, drawing his eye. He seems very much creeped out by this. A few of them float over to THE DUNKER, and start to orbit him, the booze seemingly having the urgent need to get out.

"I, erm, do hope you are planning to pay for those, sir," the bartender says, trying his best to seem unruffled and slightly failing.

John decides that that's enough information for his mildly drunken mind to process, and believes it's time to go for a walk. Get some fresh air, you know?

"Right then. I think we can use a bit of a break from this magical nonsense. Let's go for a walk to clear our heads and we'll check out that leyline while we're at it. James, if you don't feel like coming you can stay here if you want."

"I'm not sure what I would do in that event, so I will go with you, I think," James shrugs.

"Splendid! Let's go! To adventure!"

And so they do, walking right out of the apartment, into the streets, and after a couple of turns left and right come to the edge of the police cordon of the disaster area made earlier today. There's a few officers there, looking bored, yet also quite tense as they glance around for any signs of rampaging beavers.

"The leyline, as it were, is not far from the pawn shop - it's in the sewers, as a matter of fact! Not too hard to reach, either. But there is the matter of these fine officers of the law here, obviously."

Halesey is saddened that poor Clive here cannot see the glory of the potato. But then he realizes that Clive still refuses to get off him for some reason. Mixed signals, so to speak.

"Oh. Well. Too bad, I guess. Can you get off me, please?"

"I suppose," he says, and gets up from atop Halesey.

[Clive's body roll: 1-->6-1]

He is then immediately pulled into the raging potato vortex behind him, no longer tethered to the unaffected potato acolyte. Halesey, seeing the wisdom of going toward the potato, jumps in as well and seeks the filthy gobshite he put up to going in there in the first place. However, just as he dives into it, he sees no sign of the man, though Clive is plummeting straight down the tunnel of the potato god already.

Some of the Larries decide to check a pet hypothesis of theirs, and attempt to bless the most wonderful angels they know - themselves! But sadly, it does not seem to work, as there is insufficient angelic power within them.

"You may have better luck if you try that when you have more holineth in you. You're thtill mothtly mortal."

Eta rubs her sore palm and asks Clive a question.

"Just one, actually. Do you have any tips for telling someone you're a witch? Someone who might not be very happy about that?"

"That depends on why they wouldn't be happy about it, I think. If it's because they hate witches, say you're a different kind of witch. If it's because you've kept it a secret until now, well, tell them when you're telling the truth that you're doing it because you're sure you can trust them now. Like they've been elevated to an inner circle. People love it when that happens. There's a lot of nuance to breaking news to people. Lots of context involved when thinking about what to do. Like, if it's a dear friend of yours or something, you could say you were 'afraid of their immediate reaction'. It's a version of 'I don't trust you' that's a bit more tactful, and it works just as well on perfect strangers. Maybe you can look at your motive for keeping the secret, and then spin that in a good way, like you were doing the person a favor by not telling them you're a witch. There's plenty of methods, is what I'm trying to say. And hey, if things go far enough south, call me up and I can help out, 'kay?"

While Clive speaks, Eta notices something on the surface of her palm. A glowing pictogram of an eye staring right at her. The eye blinks every few moments, and the pupil darts about rapidly.

"It's the familiar mark. It should stop glowing within the hour, and after that it should only fire up if you invoke me or point it at... relevant people, let's say. Pretty simple stuff, all in all. It's more cosmetic than actually useful, but hey, makes dealings look real legitimate, doesn't it?"

As if in response, the eye looks straight at Clive, and blinks once. Eta clears her throat awkwardly.

"Okay then. Thanks again for everything. Expect me to call you later today, assuming nothing horrible happens until then. We have much to discuss and I have much to learn. Especially about that voice of yours. Until then, goodbye Mr. Caradog."

"See you soon, Eta!" Clive says, and suddenly ceases to be as Eta blinks. A tad confused, she heads out to look for that meeting place with Officer Rieux. It takes about an hour to get to Jew Street on foot, and a little more time to get to the meeting place, where Officer Rieux already awaits on a park bench, dressed in a manner evocative of the classic image of an art teacher, complete with a curiously colorful ascot. As soon as Eta approaches, Officer Rieux waves to her, and offers an invitation to join her on the nearby bench in regarding the disjointed mass of steel and barbed wire seemingly meant to evoke some aspect of war.

"So, are we ready to go?" she asks.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: August 20, 2014, 08:21:58 am »

Larry frowns.  "Shitty.  So how do I get more angel in me?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: August 20, 2014, 08:25:16 am »

Larry frowns.  "Shitty.  So how do I get more angel in me?"

"Connect to the thourthe. You already did it onthe, now you have to find another angel to help you with it again. Come back with the outthider, and I'll athk Arielle, Beagle or Phinny to hook you up. Ath eckthra motivation, you know?"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: August 20, 2014, 09:11:18 am »

"So yeah. About that. I'm not sure that's entirely possible considering that all but one group I've met has threatened to kill me."
Reach out to the Salty Denture God.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: August 20, 2014, 09:12:41 am »

Larry nodded.  "Guess I can't argue with that.  So... been a blast hanging here with you peeps, but how do I get back?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: August 20, 2014, 10:09:16 am »

"So yeah. About that. I'm not sure that's entirely possible considering that all but one group I've met has threatened to kill me."
Reach out to the Salty Denture God.

You begin to reach for the power of the Denture God, slowly making your way into its slumbering, trapped mind...

"Possibility. Not. An. Object."

"Limitation. Of. Feeble. Minds."

You can almost taste the power.

"Wait. What. Are. You. Doing."

"Stop. You. Will. Kill. Us. All."

A connection is established. The Denture God stirs. Everything begins to quake.

"What has happened to my realm?" a weak voice intones, just on the edge of waking. "Why am I here? Am I trapped? Hm..."

Unmindful of consequences, you let the power of the Denture God reach into you, stab into your poor little organs with its damp, toothy tendrils. A part of you becomes lighter and lighter, something intriguing mixing into your flesh, coalescing into a single point, a phantom ganglion of magical power manifesting on the edge of your perception, sensing, feeling.

You have begun to align yourself with the Denture God! You have 1 point to spend on your stats! In addition, you may now select "Vortex" or "Portal" as valid spell research avenues. Alternatively, you can drop one of your spells at any time in favor of Denture Vortex or Denture Portal.

"God. It. Wakens."

"You. Fool."

"We. Are. Doomed."

"Nonsense... explain yourself, mortal. What is the meaning of all this?"

Larry nodded.  "Guess I can't argue with that.  So... been a blast hanging here with you peeps, but how do I get back?"

"You jutht need to wish it, thort of. You prolly have the firtht levelth of angelic travel down. Jutht be careful down there. You don't look like you've ridden out the cognitive wave yet."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: August 20, 2014, 10:21:56 am »

Larry nodded.  "Got it.  But damned if I'm getting out of here without trying this spell."

He looked at the other three angels; what are they doing now?

(requesting update of status of the three angels)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: August 20, 2014, 10:34:52 am »

Larry nodded.  "Got it.  But damned if I'm getting out of here without trying this spell."

He looked at the other three angels; what are they doing now?

(requesting update of status of the three angels)

They are doing... well, a whole lot of things. There are over a hundred instances of each angel, and most of them have quite a lot of variability, though it's largely some kind of talking they're doing right now, or in Beagle's case, buzzing. Phinny seems to be talking, marching around with the others in tow, singing revolutionary songs, walking off to do something in the kitchen, saying that it's been fun and leaving the house, dancing and other things as well. Beagle is buzzing, either here or elsewhere, and staying away from the pot of water at all times. Arielle, similarly to Phinny, appears to be having fun in a variety of ways, one of them including a bit of fun with one of you that seems to be drawing to a close right now in another room most of you do not recognize, but many of them being discussions or idle horseplay. Some of her versions are contemplating leaving, but deciding not to do so yet.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: August 20, 2014, 10:46:21 am »

"Well I got knowledge man was not meant to know, some jerk imprisoned me here, due to the incredibly painful wounds I tried to escape leading to horrible mutation (mostly fixed) and in my rage accidentally created an inhabited planet (which you are the core of), was worshiped as a god, made a deal with these weirdos and was threatened with death by everyone I met. After that a voice in my head told me to connect with you and so I did."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: August 20, 2014, 10:48:00 am »

((What I figured, but wanted to be sure.))

"Hey Arielle, check this out!"

Bless Angel on Arielle!

Spoiler: Larry Sheet (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: August 20, 2014, 10:57:35 am »

"Well I got knowledge man was not meant to know, some jerk imprisoned me here, due to the incredibly painful wounds I tried to escape leading to horrible mutation (mostly fixed) and in my rage accidentally created an inhabited planet (which you are the core of), was worshiped as a god, made a deal with these weirdos and was threatened with death by everyone I met. After that a voice in my head told me to connect with you and so I did."

"I see. Well, sounds quite reasonable. Would you mind if I broke out of this planet, perhaps? It's quite dark in here, don't you know."

"Do. Not. Permit. This."

"It. Is. Tectonically. Undesirable."

((Don't forget to allocate your point!))

((What I figured, but wanted to be sure.))

"Hey Arielle, check this out!"

Bless Angel on Arielle!

[Your affinity roll: 1-->4+1]

Arielle looks your way, and mostly nothing at all happens for some reason. She starts to glow a little in some instances, though, which she remarks feels kind of good.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: August 20, 2014, 11:00:27 am »

((Man, that spell and I don't get along.  Also, shouldn't it be +2 for being an Angel spell and 4 in Affinity?  Not that it'd really make any difference...))

"Uh, hang on!"

Try again, damn it!
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 244