Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256136 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2925 on: October 13, 2014, 01:29:39 pm »

Gah! How the hell does he keep doing that? Freaking ninja cultist.
"What's going on down there? Everything all right?"
I should go down there. They may need my help.
Maybe there's a man eating monster down there.
Or maybe the manhole itself is actually the mouth of the man eating monster and will swallow me whole the moment I venture too deep. With all the things I've seen and learnt lately, I don't consider it to be impossible.

Hungry Pete just sighs contently. Clearly, he is touched by the finger of God.

"He looks okay," Ivette says, kneeling down to look him over. "Relatively speaking."

"He's probably just tuckered out from all that-" Menkau begins, but suddenly a sound rings out, and a bright point of light appears on his chest.

Time seems to go in slow motion as the point increases rapidly in size, a spiderweb of cracks running along Menkau's body, who begins to raise one of his fingers as if to provide some form of snappy remark, but does not get all that far before everything goes white and soundless. A shockwave takes you off your feet almost immediately afterward, your ears starting to ring.

[Your body roll: 3]

You hit the ground painfully, rolling, then skidding to a stop on the rough asphalt. A significant part of your body feels like it is burning. In fact, it may very well be burning. You start rolling, just in case, but that hurts a lot as well. You can't hear anything.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2926 on: October 13, 2014, 04:10:10 pm »

((Damnit. I hope Menkau can survive exploding. I liked him.
Good thing I got that point in body, at least.
Now, which spell to use?
Electric Sponge Form/Pitiful Underwear Vortex/Pit of Blue Skeletons/Highly Explosive Thylacine Pillar/Volley of Golden High Heels/Caradog:2
Okay then, Eta can't start using vortexes blindly since that would be irresponsible, so retreat into the pitiful underwear dimension it is.))

Keep rolling. If possible, try to get an idea of what's going on.
At the first opportunity, create a Pitiful Underwear Vortex under me so that I can escape from whatever is burning me through it.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: October 14, 2014, 10:48:55 am »

Keep rolling. If possible, try to get an idea of what's going on.
At the first opportunity, create a Pitiful Underwear Vortex under me so that I can escape from whatever is burning me through it.

You're pretty sure you can't hear much right now, or see. But it doesn't seem overly dangerous, as the burning sensation begins to subside after you've rolled around a little bit. Nevertheless, just to be on the safe side, you decide to use a vortex to ensure that nothing kills you dead in the next few minutes. After all, whatever it was that happened, it's probably not likely to be the act of anything wishing good things upon you.

[Your affinity roll: 2]

You do find yourself somewhat unable to concentrate upon anything as simple as a vortex under these circumstances, however - well, you do produce a very tiny vortex to rest your head inside of. But that's the limit of what you're able to do in your frame of mind.

Fortunately, your hearing seems to be slowly returning along with your eyesight. Not much to be heard, although you do hear shuffling and Hungry Pete screaming not too far from you. You're also not on fire! Singed, but not on fire. Anymore, should be added. You probably were on fire a few moments ago. Menkau's nowhere to be seen, and where he stood, the pavement has cracked and broken, with a large hole in the center. You turn to look at the source of the screaming, and notice that Hungry Pete is still on fire despite Ivette's attempts to put him out. Ivette seems kind of okay, for her part, if dismayed at the sudden explosion shaking things up like it did.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: October 14, 2014, 11:47:20 am »

"Well, the tv is just spouting bollocks, as usual."

Read magaine and get wonderful new spells. Then take a nap until James comes back.

Spoiler: John (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: October 14, 2014, 07:19:43 pm »

Well, if I can get that to work...

Changed spells posted at bottom. Cast Chain of Intriguing Canned Goods behind me - out of the seat of my pants would be preferable, but if not then out of my hand/fingers facing towards where the tunnel widens. Attempt to wrap it around myself or adhere it to myself in some fashion, and attempt to command the dentists to pull me out of the predicament I'm in using said chain by promising them alcohol if they do it.

((I'm back! Sorry for the lack of postings; the DUNKER's mindset is a peculiar one that requires certain things in my environment to get into, and because I moved I didn't have those things. Now I do!))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:23:58 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: October 14, 2014, 08:38:40 pm »

((I'm back! Sorry for the lack of postings; the DUNKER's mindset is a peculiar one that requires certain things in my environment to get into, and because I moved I didn't have those things. Now I do!))

I'm morbidly curious.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: October 14, 2014, 08:42:30 pm »

I somewhat method-act the majority of my RTD characters.
Oh, and I regained access to copious amounts of donuts.
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: October 14, 2014, 08:44:58 pm »

Well, that's a good thing!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: October 14, 2014, 08:46:35 pm »

*slobber*
Sig! Onol

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2934 on: October 16, 2014, 01:36:51 am »

Put the Hungry guy out. Keep looking around. If I need to escape from anything dangerous, jump down that hole. If that guy doesn't get extinguished, make him go down that hole so that the water extinguishes him. I'll take him to a hospital to cure any infection later. Or maybe just use the leyline.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: October 17, 2014, 04:26:57 pm »

Larry moves across the blasted wasteland of Mercury without so much as a second thought, feeling that if Cal didn't have the foresight to predict where exactly he would land, he is no doubt better off trying to find his own way on this planet. Looking at the pit as he walks off, he concludes that it's probably some kind of artificial structure built for an enigmatic purpose, and that if he were to examine its depths, no doubt he would find something very interesting, like a radio signal that makes his head hurt and his consciousness fade, so he elects not to investigate it for his own health - instead he traverses the wastes further, seeking the other structure, his feet fleet and his movement undeterred and fast along the sphere of heaven, so much so that it is not long at all before he notices the grand thing he had previously glimpsed over the horizon - a tower, one that is perhaps nine stories tall and looks like it may have grown from or been carved out of the ground itself, so organically does it flow into the landscape.

As the large storm of dust Larry has kicked up behind him through his quick travel subsides, he approaches the tower to take a closer look - it is a great spike jutting up from the ground, its sides dotted with holes hinting at an entirely dark and deathly interior with their stillness.

And yet Larry feels like the tower has something to it - the silence around it is deeper than on the rest of Mercury and filled with curious meaning at that, all directed at the new arrival. Though he does not know how exactly he can perceive all this, he nevertheless can easily tell that the tower is listening.

Dave is determined to catch that strange moon he has devised, and to that end continues his research into avenues of magic.

[Dave's mind roll: 4+2]

A moment of introspection is all it takes, and Dave disappears into a world inside him, a world of five spatial dimensions that is quite frankly painful to think about for longer than a few moments. And yet a six-dimensional carrot awaits him at the end of a simple maze (five-dimensionally speaking, in four dimensions it is nigh-unsolvable, as Dave quickly discovers). It takes both him and his pig a good two minutes to agree on who takes which dimensions to consider, and to figure out a method of communicating to one another about them efficiently. The system, as it is, is quite ingenious - the pig closes its eyes and Dave hops around on one foot to get himself oriented in the first two dimensions, then lets the pig take control to handle the other three - the results are stupendously good when Dave manages to get through the entire thing in only five minutes, and nobody is more surprised at this than Dave's pig, especially when Dave gratefully feeds it the carrot at the very end, letting the feeling of teamwork well executed give way to forbidden magical knowledge as he returns to, oddly enough, a much stranger, if duller world.

Spoiler: Dave's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)

Halesey wills his way to God's vicinity, getting there in no time at all, though it's probably been some time already since he has last beheld God's glory - and He is looking glorious indeed today. In good health, too, which is good to know.

"I see you have both externalized the vortex within you and obtained a student, my prophet. You work without delay, and this pleases me," God tells him without much in the way of delay. Nigel's nowhere to be seen, though. "Be careful, however - another pilgrim approaches, and in a much less agreeable mood," God adds before Halesey can rightly ask which student exactly it might be referring to.

John does not feel like doing anything and instead lays on his couch as he peruses the magazine for some new and interesting spells to work with.

[John's mind roll: 3]

Just as his mind wraps up in itself, though, something seems to go a tad wrong. The slip is strange, the endpoint different than expected. The area all around is gray, and wherever he looks, there is only cow. Cow as far as the eye can see. Cow to the left and cow to the right, which seems a little familiar to John. Lots of cow-things on the side as well - cow-walls, cow-gardens, cow-prisons and cow-towers presiding over cow-towns. The mooing is quite deafening, imparting John with a singular piece of knowledge before he suddenly awakens.

Spoiler: John's New Spell (click to show/hide)

THE DUNKER, oxygenated to a point where he is ready for action once more, launches a new plan of action.

[THE DUNKER's affinity roll: 4+2]

A chain of canned goods that simply beg to be examined in more detail to determine the exact nature of the mystery meat contained within suddenly extends from the seat of the man's pants, interlocking cans forming a stiff rope that extends for a great distance behind, presumably reaching back toward the entrance to the sewer. Step one: magnificently successful!

"Dentists! To me! Save your master from this predicament!" he then commands the darkness behind him. "There will be booze in it for you!"

The lack of reply may indicate one of two things - either the dentists are long gone by now, or they have been eaten by no doubt nefarious creatures lurking in the sanitation system. Either way, this is a poor sign.

An even poorer sign is that he's pretty sure something exploded a little while ago topside, and that those girls shouting for him from afar seem to have gone a different way than they probably should have. Despite the way he called out to them several times. THE DUNKER would sigh, but that would mean taking a deep breath of where he is right now, something he's expertly avoided thus far.

Eta, wasting no time, walks up to Hungry Pete and starts kicking him absently to put the fire out - when this fails to help and only results in more yelling as well as Ivette protesting, she pushes him into the sewer, which he takes reasonably well, she supposes. Ivette, judging by the smell, must have taken a dive in there as well. By reflex, which is a bit impressive.

A look around reveals nothing of real interest around, at least nothing Eta didn't see before. The street, signs of explosion and conspicuous absence of Menkau aside, seems completely unchanged. If there was something responsible for that sudden explosion, it is staying well out of sight.

Suddenly, however, Eta becomes aware of something next to her - the smell alerts her first, cigar smoke and cheap cologne. Caradog. She turns to face him, noticing that he looks mighty pleased with himself for some reason. Probably that shoebox he's holding.

"Did something blow up while I was gone? You look like shit!" he says, pointing at you and grinning.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: October 17, 2014, 04:44:41 pm »

Oh for...

Engulf the chain in Green Mafiosi and ask them politely to pull the chain and thus me out of this narrow tunnel!
Sig! Onol

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2937 on: October 17, 2014, 07:53:15 pm »

"What gave it away? The burning or the giant scorch mark?" Eta replied sarcastically.
She sat down, hugged her knees, lowered her head and closed her eyes.
I... I don't know. I just don't know. I need to go away.
"What do you want?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: October 17, 2014, 09:43:44 pm »

Larry looked at the tower for a bit.  Well, if it was listening...

"Sup, tower?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: October 18, 2014, 01:10:15 am »

Oh for...

Engulf the chain in Green Mafiosi and ask them politely to pull the chain and thus me out of this narrow tunnel!

[Your affinity roll: 6-->3+2]

Your chain responds as mafiosi of all walks of life spawn into being, surrounding it with their bodies at, you're surprised to note, rather reasonable intervals. You order them to pull you away, and they promptly do, dragging your sorry bottom right back to the sewer entrance with due haste.

You notice Hungry Pete down here, looking under the weather and covered in sewage. He doesn't say much when he sees you.

"What gave it away? The burning or the giant scorch mark?" Eta replied sarcastically.
She sat down, hugged her knees, lowered her head and closed her eyes.
I... I don't know. I just don't know. I need to go away.
"What do you want?"

"Nothing! I was just gonna give you those shoes you asked for."

He hands you the shoebox quickly.

"And with that, back to business!" he says. You blink somewhere along the way afterward, and then he's gone.

Larry looked at the tower for a bit.  Well, if it was listening...

"Sup, tower?"

A single eyestalk protrudes from a hole at the top of the tower, and a single tube comes out of an area at the bottom.

"The usual. Brilliance and invention," the tube tells you in a voice bordering on infrasound in its pitch. "Sup with you, dude?"
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 244