Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 255122 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #3255 on: January 17, 2015, 04:44:56 pm »

"Yeah, it's not a vortex, or rather not just a vortex - it's the will of God. Would you care to join me as a disciple of the True Potato?"
"No, I'm too far invested in donuts to go there. Nice proposition though, much more polite than some I've recieved."
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3256 on: January 17, 2015, 09:46:36 pm »

Is there any sort of reception area containing a receptionist or similar helpful person around here? Or only 'elevators'?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 09:48:43 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: January 17, 2015, 10:12:31 pm »

Larry groaned a bit.  Yeah, real estate sucks ass.

"Uh... anyway, got a buddy up in Mercury.  He wants to build this sweet house, got a lot of ground work done, but he's got no light.  There's no usable metal or electricity, and there's no way to get either started because he can't get what he has hot enough to melt glass to make solar panels or some shit.  Basically, he needs juice and doesn't have any.

Larry scratched his head.  "That sound about right, Cal?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: January 18, 2015, 05:06:42 am »

Is there any sort of reception area containing a receptionist or similar helpful person around here? Or only 'elevators'?

No receptionist, inconveniently enough. At least not that you can see. Guess they can't afford to keep one or something. You do see one alcove in the hallway where a metal shutter covers what would be the window of a receptionist's kiosk, but you're not sure if it has anyone in it.

Larry groaned a bit.  Yeah, real estate sucks ass.

"Uh... anyway, got a buddy up in Mercury.  He wants to build this sweet house, got a lot of ground work done, but he's got no light.  There's no usable metal or electricity, and there's no way to get either started because he can't get what he has hot enough to melt glass to make solar panels or some shit.  Basically, he needs juice and doesn't have any.

Larry scratched his head.  "That sound about right, Cal?"

"About right, yeah."

"So it is a development contract they want - lucky for them! Trusty Jim Blessed, wild dingo of the hell real estate market, knows no less than fifty-one independent contractors that are sure to jump at the thought of working on Mercury. All that raw, untamed space! I can hear it call out to me - figuratively, of course, since while I may be certifiably crazy, I hardly hear voices at all these days. My insanity manifests more as up to 47% more forthright dealing in comparison to the average real estate developer. I have worked on contracting development of individual spaces ranging up to one thousand cubic meters in size, so it should be clear to them that I am the demon for the job if any demon possibly can be," the trusty Jim Blessed, wild dingo of the real estate market soliloquizes at the two of you. "Setting up a competition to obtain the lowest bidder is going to be a simple matter. Question is, what can they bid to make it worthwhile? Goods I have in hell, souls I have, favors I have in abundance. No, no, no, none of those will do. What Jim Blessed needs, and what the angels of infinite heavens can provide, is space. Mercury has space. Who owns Mercury? Is it they who stand before me?"

"No one owns Mercury. We just kinda have people hanging out there. Like squatting and whatnot. We just send ambitious people there to make cool places to live so that we can move other awesome people there after they're done."

"Ah-woof!" Jim Blessed half-moans, half-barks, not looking at either of you, returning to chewing on his bone. "Mm! I like the sound of that! Well then, let me put it this way. How does thirty-three square kilometers of land on Mercury with full vertical exploitation rights all the way down to the core and exclusive planetwide contracting rights for Jim Blessed sound in return for guaranteed planetwide development contracts, no further payments required? 'Cause then they can just leave the rest up to me."

Cal looks at you doubtfully. "That doesn't sound like much. I mean, Mercury's not as huge as most planets, but it's still, y'know, a planet. I'm not sure if I can just make that call, though... I mean, I don't know anyone to ask, since we're all kind of on the same organizational level, and... well, I dunno."

"The glowing one could bring over some more friends - knowing where Jim Blessed lives should be enough for it to find its way back. They can mull it over for a while, I've got time and patience in abundance. Things can be figured out. What's important is that Jim Blessed's offer, most generous one on the market by a mile, is known to these two, and they are welcome to return to Jim Blessed's fine office for further negotiations!"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3259 on: January 18, 2015, 09:20:25 am »

Approach alcove. Knock on metal shutter (or use bell if available). Hope for response.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: January 18, 2015, 09:54:16 am »

((I like Jim Blessed.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: January 18, 2015, 12:08:16 pm »

Larry shrugged.  "Gonna have to say you're the expert here.  Who would you ask anyway; more angels?  The Big Cheese?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: January 18, 2015, 12:28:42 pm »

Larry shrugged.  "Gonna have to say you're the expert here.  Who would you ask anyway; more angels?  The Big Cheese?"

"I dunno. Oldthinker, maybe? Maybe some sun people, they seem to have their shit together. You think this is a good idea, man?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: January 19, 2015, 10:00:21 am »

Larry shrugged.  "Well hell, if the angels won't do it, and us mortals can't do it, who else does that leave?  If we want it done, it's gotta be them.  Ain't really my call, though.  Yeah, go ask Oldthinker."

The name rang a bell all of the sudden.  Larry checked his watch; how close to 2 PM was it?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: January 19, 2015, 10:44:40 am »

Larry shrugged.  "Well hell, if the angels won't do it, and us mortals can't do it, who else does that leave?  If we want it done, it's gotta be them.  Ain't really my call, though.  Yeah, go ask Oldthinker."

The name rang a bell all of the sudden.  Larry checked his watch; how close to 2 PM was it?

2 PM, as it happens, is about fifteen minutes away. My, how time flies.

"Yeah, I will. So the plan's all taken care of for now, I guess. Thanks, dude. And you, dingo dude," Cal says.

"Gratitude! How gratifying."

"Okay, so, shall we be off?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: January 19, 2015, 10:57:03 am »

"Yeah, I gotta get back home.  Gonna meet some outsider for the Oldthinker.  Tell him I'm tracking one down for him."

Let us abscond back to the Earthen planes.  Gotta meet Tom at his place at 2.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: January 21, 2015, 07:14:24 am »

A few moments pass before anyone can think of anything to say.

"Huh, you don't see a man with a vortex in his belly every day. I'll get to you in a minute, dear fellow, I just have to summon some double vampires," THE DUNKER starts off, hoping to end the introduction before it has begun.

"Yeah, it's not a vortex, or rather not just a vortex - it's the will of God. Would you care to join me as a disciple of the True Potato?" Halesey makes the usual pitch in lieu of proper conversation.

"No, I'm too far invested in donuts to go there. Nice proposition though, much more polite than some I've received," THE DUNKER replies, and tries out his new spell.

[THE DUNKER's affinity roll: 6-->1+1]

All three packets of margarine in his possession suddenly burst open violently, the sandwich spread within liquefying and coalescing into a greater, violently mixing whole. It starts to bubble and expand in a way that makes the three people in the room back away a little bit, afraid of margarine stains that may never come off in their life. Halesey, suitably unsettled by the stated conjuring of double undead, takes certain measures.

[Halesey's affinity roll: 4]

As Halesey makes a welcoming gesture, a group of hairy fellows in tracksuits appears to the left to him, standing in a very solid-looking line.

"Ah. My acquaintances. Good evening, mafiosi," says Halesey as the blob of margarine continues to grow.

"I think I will go. You two seem to have the situation well in hand, really," says the lawyer lady, but does not start walking away, apparently seeking affirmation before doing so, which neither of her two friends seem to be willing to give.

"I HUNGER!" shouts the blob of margarine, taking the shape of a rather tiny creature, about the size of a small child, yet nevertheless possessing a very predatory look to it. Its figure fills out at first, then immediately deflates around what look to be some very well-defined bones, in essence forming what looks like a very tiny ghoul of sorts. And the final step of the transformation, it seems, is the skin - the margarine turns a variety of pinks, blues and greens as the outer layer of the creature covers itself with a variety of winning numbers on eye-catching paper, twitching as its very sharp claws no doubt capable of inflicting many of the more severe varieties of papercut, such as across the jugular. As it takes shape, its first course of action, it seems, is to leap.

[Double Vampire vs. Lawyer Lady: 1 vs. 1]

It manages to fly right past her, its ghoulish, yet garish visage rolling across the factory floor for a moment before realizing that it, too, appears to be flesh, and probably easier to capture, too. It sinks its teeth into the floor, drawing a significant quantity of blood from it. After a short moment, it gets up, looking about despite having no visible eyes.

"Well, that didn't help at all!" it immediately observes. "What am I even supposed to want, then? Souls?"

The creature casts a glance over at the gaggle of people, unsure how one may eat their souls, presumably, or at least considering what equipment might be used to do so.

The Observer, not about to waste time when there could be singing ducks about, searches for their likely location, easily isolating it to the backyard of a rather abandoned-looking house in the neighborhood. Curious, he sneaks along the side and takes a look at the noisy proceedings, which sound a lot like fighting, to be perfectly honest, and discovers that it does, in fact, appear to be a fight of some kind. Two esteemed-looking individuals appear to be engaging in less than gentlemanly combat, in fact.

[John's finesse roll: 5]

Less than gentlemanly, the Observer observes, largely because one of them, a balding, meek-looking fellor, has a singing duck blade of legend and the other, a rough urban adventurer type, seems to have a sausage. Not that he is not using it to great effect - the Observer himself is amazed when the sausage sails through the air and strikes the sword wielder straight in the eye, which seems equal parts maddening, confusing and painful according to the reaction.

[Stan's body roll: 3]

The balding man shrieks and backs away, rubbing his eyes to get the sausage slime out. The other guy uses this moment of respite to run away for a moment, putting some distance between himself and his adversary.

"Now that's the kind of thing I'd pay to see!" a man on the sidelines, somebody who the observer would immediately peg as an executive were it not for his absurd-looking mop top and the company he keeps, who appears to be a frazzled waitress of some kind. This looks to be some sort of post-apocalyptic competition for supremacy, the Observer immediately concludes. Unfortunately, though, in his observation, he seems to have wandered out of cover, which has not gone unnoticed by the executive man.

"Hey! You look like a wizard! Wanna join wizard fight club? There's prizes to be won!" he shouts. "Come on over!"

[John's affinity roll: 2+1]

The Observer looks back at the fighting, where fascinating things appear to be happening. Namely, the adventurer person appears to have summoned a small floating marsupial of a bright yellow color and, shockingly, no significant electric charge. He looks bewildered at this result, though why exactly that is the Observer can only begin to guess. Meanwhile, the balding fellow appears to have regained his composure and begun a charge at the wallaby man, seemingly a bit sad and hurt and also possessing a bit of redness in his left eye, his blade emitting an ominous duck chorus clearly building up to some form of fighting song.

"You got him on the run, John!" the waitress laughs, and it is unclear who John's supposed to be, though the Observer suspects that she laughed because it's a pun of some kind, and the one running is the balding fellow, which would mean that John would probably be the guy with the marsupial. "Let the wallaby guide you or something!" she then confirms his suspicion.

Eta, curious about the potential contents of the nearby alcove, walks over to it, brushing past a few rushing shades (though the traffic toward the middle is certainly less dense than around the edges), then approaching the shutter, which appears to be made of almost solid aluminum, and gives it a good knock to hopefully attract someone helpful. As luck would have it, the shutter immediately opens outward like a set of doors on an overturned closet, causing Eta to step back for fear of being knocked over. The top shutter, which has opened toward the ceiling, has "INFO KIOSK" written on it. The lower shutter, which has opened toward the floor, has "FAQ" written on it above some writing that's slightly too small to see readily without kneeling down and examining it carefully.

Inside the kiosk, which seems to be a perfectly white room with no visible entrance, stands a shade without any form of visible eyes. The kiosk smells strongly of dust, and doesn't seem to have been opened in quite a while. Last time it has been opened, judging by the other smell Eta can detect, has been to throw some trash in there, which just seems kind of mean-spirited.

"Yes?" it asks in a very neutral, emotionless tone, its voice more like a whisper or an echo than an actual sound. "Before you speak, check the FAQ."

Larry believes a little haste may be in order.

"Yeah, I gotta get back home. Gonna meet some outsider for the Oldthinker. Tell him I'm tracking one down for him," says he, and Cal nods.

"I will. Now," he says, putting his glowing hand on Larry's head. "Let's go."

Almost imperceptibly, and Larry wonders briefly how this is even possible, given the drastic changes involved, the two seem to have returned to the more ordinary world of the more conventionally living.

"Right, dude," Cal says, withdrawing his hand from Larry's head. Larry feels like his hair might have experienced a little rising at the charge the hand evidently possesses. "I've gotta go, keep yourself alive and magical, y'hear?" he then says before suddenly not quite being there anymore in a completely soundless disappearance, a mild glowing afterimage left on Larry's vision where the angel once stood.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: January 21, 2015, 07:41:50 am »

You're a lottery ticker undead vampire, so I suppose you'd want to guard this place forever or until I manage to figure out how to win all your lottery tickets at once? Or why not just follow me, I can show you to some more experienced people. Hey potato guy, wanna come with? There could be power in it for you.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: January 21, 2015, 07:49:47 am »

You're a lottery ticker undead vampire, so I suppose you'd want to guard this place forever or until I manage to figure out how to win all your lottery tickets at once? Or why not just follow me, I can show you to some more experienced people. Hey potato guy, wanna come with? There could be power in it for you.

"Fair enough, I suppose. You got anything I could nibble on, maybe? I still hunger, you know."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: January 21, 2015, 07:51:34 am »

Would you more fancy lard or watermelons?
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 244