Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The EA Wars (Compilation of information)  (Read 7743 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The EA Wars (Compilation of information)
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2013, 05:19:53 pm »

I'll work on ground battles. Which ones do we have established? I know there's Origin, and I came up with Dice, but what other ones do we have?

I'll add them here:
The Siege of Origin:
As the Resistance marched upon the Origin Servers, EA locked it down for maintenance. Any attempt to breach the doors was met by an error message. Origin was too high value a target to bombard from orbit, and too dangerous to leave untouched. So a battalion was split off to begin the Siege of Origin. The rest of the Army marched upon other targets.
Occasionally the defenders would lower the wall of maintenance for seconds at a time and slip out a few million ill-gotten dollars. Instead of patrols around the walls, there were patrols on the website. And there lay the only enemy inflicted injuries of that Siege. Since the detached battalion had no psychologists on the medical staff, many suffered from PTSD, depression, and other mental illnesses from prolonged exposure to maintenance errors.
Eventually, the defenders threatened to kill the Resistance's inside men, release a biological weapon over [REDACTED], [REDACTED], and [REDACTED], and blow themselves up, destroying data that could have the war over in a month, unless the besiegers retreated. They were ordered to pull back and sent in a special-ops team to retrieve the hostages and the data. But the Admirality in orbit above Origin ordered a bombardment in opposition to the direct orders of the Council. Origin was destroyed, along with the Spec-Ops team, the hostages, and most of the data. The team had been able to transmit one piece of data: a reciept for a shipment of minerals to a location in far Earth orbit. This shipment led to the discovery of EA's spacebased superweapon.
The Battle of Dice:
After Origin, the same battalion marched to- I'm not done yet.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:58:19 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2013, 05:32:31 pm »

Actually all the battles I listed in my dossier (with expception of L1-L3) have ground battle components as well, I thought joint ground-space ops would be higher priority than pure space battles as the war is for liberation (can't liberate space, it doesn't care.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2013, 08:14:14 pm »

Sorry for the double-post.

I'm wondering if we want to draw up a list of available tech and weapons for the periods of conflict, so we can try to work out the ebb and flow of escalation?

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2013, 10:31:16 pm »

Sorry for the double-post.

I'm wondering if we want to draw up a list of available tech and weapons for the periods of conflict, so we can try to work out the ebb and flow of escalation?

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2013, 10:39:01 pm »

Perhaps around the last quarter of the war EA decides to delve into "voluntary", cybernetic experiments?
Crack-a-lack-a

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2013, 11:16:28 pm »

Alright, give me a day or two, and I'll draw up a rough draft we can discuss.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2013, 01:30:32 am »

I'll hold off on my ground battle log until then.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2013, 10:17:19 am »

After the collapse of the nations of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, a power void was created.  The expected successors had been the oil companies, however peak oil had come and gone, leaving the shattered businesses fighting over scraps.  The next most likely candidate had been the financial sector, but with the collapse of nations had come the collapse of currency, rendering them impotent.  The future leaders of the world came from Silicon Valley, and other enclaves of programmers and tech industry gurus, with their rise came relaxations of traditionaly maintained restrictions on development and research.  The first major innovation of the new age came in the form of cheap, effective energy, the Rolls-Royce Spheric Fusion Core.  The availability of energy broke open the floodgates that had been holding back humanity for the better part of one hundred years.

List: (I am an American, and very poor at metric conversion, so I will be using the Imperial system here)
Fusion power
Fusion thrusters (allowing for thrust of up to .3 c at an acceleration curve of about .1 c per second)
Laser weaponry (we measure space combat range in the hundreds of thousands of miles, with optimum range of about 50,000 miles)
Particle Beam weaponry (the 'fuck you' gun of B12's space forces, takes minutes to charge, but kills everything)
Ion weaponry ( EA's fuck you gun, miserable at range, but will fry the fuck out of most ships at under 10,000 miles)
Rail drivers (Asynchronus linear accelerators, not the stupid-ass electromagnetic sling on youtube)
Quantum AI systems (limited by design and technology, about as intelligent as a dumb human)
Power armor (The real deal, Strength augmenting exoskeletal battle armor able to withstand almost all small arms up to about a 40mm rifle grenade, but not the .50 cal, nothing withstands the .50 cal)
Deep-space colonization and exploitation (B12 lead the pack here, explanation later)
Efficient solar collectors (seriously, they currently only collect like 5% of available energy)
Cybernetic augmentation (EA pushed this one in the form of the neural jack, a captive audience is the best kind)
The plasma-induction furnace (a B12 special, you take the waste ferrous plasma from your fusion reactor then set up a soliton to produce the kind of energy released by a supernova)
Low level gravitational control (we already know that several elements produce gravitational effects when bombarded by radiation, but this only amounts to artificial gravity of a little less than 1 g (.90-.97, and very low level anti-gravity systems, good for suppressing part of the weight of super-massive constructions)
EPR comm systems (beyond light speed communications allowing for faster internet connections even as far out as Pluto)
Graviton spin comms (B12 answer to EA's control of the EPR net, jointly developed with IBM)
Trans-orbital flight (yes, already realised, but the tech is now much more available)

I'm going to stop here for today, let's discuss what we have so far.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2013, 11:27:58 am »

How efficiently would lasers be in firearms in this scenario?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2013, 11:32:08 am »

While a great many of those would be interesting...I do not think that we could practically make working versions of a majority of those in the short amount of time from now to the wars starting.  100 years, maybe we could do half, but not in this short of time.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2013, 11:37:00 am »

If anything is implausible, then it's the EPR, the AI, and the cybernetics.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2013, 11:37:17 am »

Let me be clear, every single item on this list could be built NOW, with modern systems, the only reson most of them do not exist is due to the strangle hold various corporate interests and treaties have on the tech sector. What I have done here is take off the shackles, and tech is exploding to the level it should be at.

Immaterial: Personal energy weapons are probably not possible in this period, maybe by the second or third war batteries might be efficient enough.

Edit for additional data: Energy weapon equipped tanks and aircraft, as well as naval assets are very possible.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:44:12 am by NullForceOmega »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2013, 12:06:43 pm »

Let me be clear, every single item on this list could be built NOW, with modern systems, the only reson most of them do not exist is due to the strangle hold various corporate interests and treaties have on the tech sector. What I have done here is take off the shackles, and tech is exploding to the level it should be at.

Can be built, possibly.  Can be manufactured in high enough quantities for war by the official start date of August 3, 2024, highly doubt it.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2013, 12:26:02 pm »

I was not trying to indicate that such weapons were commonplace, more that they were available and not simply experimental designs.  And I really think you are not considering just how unreasonable the boost to Earth's manufacturing capacity would be by simply adding the materials from the moon, let alone the belt.  Our industial capacities in America have been down-geared for fifty years, with the kind of changes you could expect in a Silicon Valley run America, we're talking 20 times the manufacturing power of WWII U.S.  That aside, from a storyteller perspective, it is more fun to have these systems than it is to be totally realistic.  But this is a discussion, if you are raising a point, please be specific, there are only a couple of points I will fight for violently, mostly in terms of weapons and propulsion.

Edit: I can flex on the gravity control, the EPR comms, the grav comms, cybernetics and on the PA.  I won't flex on the fusion techs, or the plasma furnace, nor on any of the weapons, At the absolute minimum almost every single tank on Earth will be railgun equipped by 2024, I mean the M-1 will be in two years.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:31:25 pm by NullForceOmega »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2013, 12:49:51 pm »

Edit for additional data: Energy weapon equipped tanks and aircraft, as well as naval assets are very possible.

Not possible but actualy developed and operational as seen here.

The gravity stuff is the immersion breaker for me. Most space stuff - especialy midsized to big stuff could very well work with rotation for gravity.

As for energy current solar cells on earth are on average 20% efficient with an upper ceiling of 40% for concentrator cells at the moment. Even Stirling (solar thermal) gets to about 20-22%. Solarthermics for heating clock in around 80% efficency. On possible powersource in space would be Solarwind with a solar-sail like foil and a few kilometers of wire.

Producing Liquid or gaseous fuels from excess renewable power is also possible. Audi does that in a Multimegawatt plant in Germany by using hydrogen and Carbondioxide to create Methane which in turn can be stored or processed further. This would work well with Solid-Oxid Fuel-cells which are around 60% thus twice as efficient as diesel engines today.

Orbital and transorbital stuff could work with Lorentz-force. Cables (carbon nanotubes?) would be charged and interact with earths Magnetic field field to create force ... similiar to an electric motor.

I think Tocamac and Stellerator designs would be more useful in Space and Nuclearthermal would still work. For the heck of it you can even go with batteries if you can build stuff in space.
In the short run Nuclear generators would, i think, win out thought. Nuclear-Sterling (similiar to current Thermoelectric generators but more powerful ) looks good for early exploration and setups followed by real nuclear reactors on the outer fringes and solar on the inner. Currently Microsoft & co are researching small modular reactors and maybe thorium gets a chance to shine.

Particleweapons are a bit iffy. Like in an ion-drive you charge those buggers with high currents etc. so they get up to speed. Thing is that charged particles (thus ions, electrons whatever) repeal each other thus they are far less ranged then lasers - your tight beam wont stay tight for very long. Building a turret for those is easy thought since it would work similiar to a CRT iirc.
You get some punch thought.

Railguns: hell yes. Targeting thought gets hard on the distances and your enemy can evade on long distances since he can see the shot vcomming given appropriate sensors. Rails for tanks i would see in the mid 30s instead of the 20s. Artillery could work in the 20s thought. 

Explosive pumped lasers (conventional and Nuclear) would be an option for weapons too. More of the Classic gun variety but you wont leave a hole ... or any recognizeable debris for that matter.

Oh and i would suggest the Plasma furnace for seperating materials say ores. It would be a halfbreed between mass spectrometer and Plasma gasifier.

For personal weapons one could look at Electrolasers. A halfbreed of Taser and Laser. A very short Laserpulse burns a plasmachannel into the air which is conducting. Over this channel you discharge your Taser. Also Explosive driven lasers ... thought normal guns work better.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:56:24 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6