Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What action should be taken to make this game work better? (For more detail, search for qwerty.)

0: No action
1a: Forbid further players
1b: Forbid further players
2a: Change how long a turn is.
2b: The same but different.
2c: Ditto.
3: Abstract stuff.
4: Finish and summarize.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Naga versus Toronto: Name Pending  (Read 21538 times)

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
Re: Naga versus Toronto: Name Pending
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2013, 11:23:57 pm »

Thalsian looks at the tossed arm while waiting for transport.

Guess it didn't work...

He picks up the arm and uses a density increasing rune on it. Just to see if it was actually the Manton effect and not something else.

If it doesn't he shrugs because that's what he expected to happen.

-snip-
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:37:45 pm by Scood »
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2013, 12:24:45 am »

With his new power, Phillip set out to make some money for his family... A task which was easier said than done, since his power was practically useless on its own. Still, with its high crime rates and bustling waterfront, the city of Buffalo NY was breeding ground for capes, and Phillip (Catalyst when in costume) soon fell in with a small group of teenage heroes calling themselves the Pavises, raiding local gangs for money and supplies.

Pavises:
Spoiler: Wingnut (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tosca (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gastrophetes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:55:59 pm by Wwolin »
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2013, 12:29:50 am »

((Personally when I read "Get stronger at set intervals" that struck me as more of a permanent power increase as I grow to understand my powers and how best to use them. Plus constantly depowering after a fight seems like a downside, which the second part (Changing powers and not knowing how they work immediately) covers to my understanding.))
That is my understanding. The way it was phrased reminded me of Skitter, who started as a minor attempted hero who could probably be beaten by Leet, Uber optional, and ended a step from godhood, due in large part to learning how to use her ability better and better.

Quick point, but you're selling her short. By the time the story started, she'd already trained a fair bit with her ability, and nearly took out Lung by herself, a cape that's significantly more deadly than Leet. I mean, I won't dispute that she becomes FAR more powerful over the course of the story… but comparing her to Leet at any point is selling her short.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2013, 12:37:58 am »

((she kind of needed a deus ex machina to take on lung. and win))
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2013, 12:43:14 am »

((To be fair she did alright
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2013, 01:22:49 am »

((To be fair she did alright

We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2013, 01:30:55 am »

((Oh right.
Still. In that state he took on a frigging Endbringer at one point, I'd think it would be more ... satisfying and not anticlimactic like that.))
Sig! Onol

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2013, 04:03:50 am »

The way Lung's powers work is that he becomes more powerful the longer a fight goes on. Drugging him into unconsciousness is arguably the most effective way to take him down, so I don't really have a problem with it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2013, 04:13:31 am »

((Yeah. At that point he was 15 feet tall with four wings, ridiculous speed and agility, and presumably regeneration to match. It felt very anticlimactic for that to go the way it did.))
Sig! Onol

TinkerTailor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2013, 04:47:08 am »

So, I've got two ideas for a character - one would be a guest cape from the next city over, while the other would probably work better as a freshly-triggered local. I think I'll go for the first for now.

One question - If I wanted to make a 2nd-generation cape, would I have to do the random-power thing twice?

shepsquared

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2013, 05:35:20 am »

After triggering and reincarnating (resurrecting? regenerating?) Julius moved slowly. Elated with the fact that all of his limbs functioned properly and that the only downsides seemed to be his newly blonde hair, blue eyes and the pain involved he moved through the building, happily stepping outside just in time to be hit by one of Naga's waves

(How exactly does my power work? Do I only come back as a baseline, possibly a crippled one? or might I come back as someone with 3 arms or something? And do I get to choose? Also, what do the three numbers mean in the post that notes my trigger [3,14,6]?)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2013, 06:18:27 am »

Still time to sign up?
Spoiler: Frank York AKA HeMan (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2013, 07:59:01 am »

((i never complained with rolling to hit because trying to attack someone has a lot of inherent variables such as my aim and his dodging skill and the sun getting in my eyes, i complained where power functionality was concerned because how powers operate is an immutable fact, they can be strengthened or weakened but how they operate and their operational rules/limitations stay the same.
I can accept Thalsians power not working on me due to my physiology because it is a valid reason.
i don't like it but i can accept it, because there's a reason beyond "dice say no".))
Those are not actual, random variables; if you went through the exact same fight a dozen times in real life, the exact same "random" things would happen in exactly the same way.
And honestly? The reason I rolled is that I don't have any idea what would happen. Power interactions, as mentioned earlier, are a bit of a toss-up. You could argue that since no particular chunk of matter is your "real" body, the runes cannot be applied to you at all; you could argue that since you are currently inhabiting a given chunk of matter, it counts.
If you want a pseudoscientific explanation, how about that your "body" is controlled by a sort of telekinesis? That explains how every molecule in your body can be replaced on a regular basis without any kind of issue.

...Out of curiosity, would you have complained if the dice said the runes did work?

((Personally when I read "Get stronger at set intervals" that struck me as more of a permanent power increase as I grow to understand my powers and how best to use them. Plus constantly depowering after a fight seems like a downside, which the second part (Changing powers and not knowing how they work immediately) covers to my understanding.))
That is my understanding. The way it was phrased reminded me of Skitter, who started as a minor attempted hero who could probably be beaten by Leet, Uber optional, and ended a step from godhood, due in large part to learning how to use her ability better and better.
Quick point, but you're selling her short. By the time the story started, she'd already trained a fair bit with her ability, and nearly took out Lung by herself, a cape that's significantly more deadly than Leet. I mean, I won't dispute that she becomes FAR more powerful over the course of the story… but comparing her to Leet at any point is selling her short.
1. I'm using "started out" to mean when she first got her powers, not when she first went out in costume.
2. Don't exaggerate. Taylor did not "nearly take out Lung by herself". If Lung hadn't had quite the set of powers he did, he would have been taken out...but he did. His regeneration kept him on his feet and if it wasn't for that tranquilizer that he was given he probably would have walked away without any more harm than he walked into it with (although with a lot less clothing). If the Undersiders hadn't showed up, Taylor would have thrown her life away for nothing. Really, all Taylor did to Lung was distract him and get enough brown recluse venom into his system that Lung would hate her guts.

((Yeah. At that point he was 15 feet tall with four wings, ridiculous speed and agility, and presumably regeneration to match. It felt very anticlimactic for that to go the way it did.))
((My question is why Taylor didn't think of that sooner.))
((And it wasn't "that state" that he took on Leviathan in--he was significantly larger then.))

So, I've got two ideas for a character - one would be a guest cape from the next city over, while the other would probably work better as a freshly-triggered local. I think I'll go for the first for now.
One question - If I wanted to make a 2nd-generation cape, would I have to do the random-power thing twice?
No. Why would you?

(How exactly does my power work? Do I only come back as a baseline, possibly a crippled one? or might I come back as someone with 3 arms or something? And do I get to choose? Also, what do the three numbers mean in the post that notes my trigger [3,14,6]?)
The first number was the trigger event roll. The second roll was for power disadvantages, and the third for advantages.

Still time to sign up?
There is always time to sign up.
And the cape you create is a completely separate thing. Did I mention that this was part of larger RP that is rather full of superhumans? Did I mention that I surpassed the character limit in the post that describes all of them?

Given all the questions, I'm going to delay the update a bit so people who asked questions have a chance to post answers. I don't want to delay it too long, though...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2013, 08:16:31 am »

((Those reasons right there are exactly what i wanted and yes, i probably would have complained on principle even if the dice had said yes.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2013, 08:32:01 am »

Still time to sign up?
((Oh, that character must go in. He's too much fun not to.))
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17