Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289137 times)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1080 on: September 16, 2015, 09:09:16 am »

(Early version)
I ordered a case of wine glasses. What I received (managed to salvage from the crater) was a small pool of molten glass.

(Some refinement later...)
I ordered a case of wine glasses. What I received was a case of glass shards.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: September 16, 2015, 11:52:40 am »

If you order Warhammer 40.000 miniatures, it would be all worthy.

Until you get tired of playing with burnt plastic slag.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: September 16, 2015, 12:19:00 pm »

We sent whiskey into space. It tastes different than Terran whiskey.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: September 16, 2015, 03:33:52 pm »

We sent whiskey into space. It tastes different than Terran whiskey.
Spoiler: Aldebaran whiskey? (click to show/hide)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: September 16, 2015, 05:02:17 pm »

So I checked out the site for Planetary Resources (the asteroid-mining startup). They've actually gotten their own prospecting telescope into orbit, looking for near-earth objects that might be worth checking out. They're deploying another one twice the size in about 10 weeks.

The more I look, the more I think these people would be fantastic to work with.
They named their prospecting sat-probe after the company in Star Wars that manufactured Imperial probe droids.
They have a full-sized Cave Johnson portrait in their lobby.
And then they have this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These are geeks after my own heart. If I can't work there, maybe my daughter can someday (she's gung-ho about being an aerospace engineer right now).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: September 16, 2015, 05:16:49 pm »

I'm with ya, I've got a fairly decent contact in Space X that I might look into if I don't feel like doing the rational thing and being a drone my whole life.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: September 16, 2015, 05:20:19 pm »

That'd be a great recruiting slogan:

"Don't be a drone. Make them instead."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: September 16, 2015, 07:17:18 pm »

(Early version)
I ordered a case of wine glasses. What I received (managed to salvage from the crater) was a small pool of molten glass.

(Even later...)
The wine case is intact. My roof is not.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: September 16, 2015, 07:48:56 pm »

*fifty years down the line* 'The wine arrived. Tasted great, no damage to the bottles. Cat was killed by the parcel for the fourth time this week. In all, 8/10'
Guys, why don't we just engineer the cat to produce wine?

Urgh. He keeps spraying wine all over the drapes.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 07:50:54 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: September 27, 2015, 07:01:18 pm »

Surprised nobody wanted to comment about the eclipse tonight...  (Unless you all have been, but elsewhere.)

So just a Lunar one, hardly a rarity, but it's Space. ;)

Less than 20 minutes until the Earth's penumbra starts going over the Moon (not really much to see).   An hour and ten before the central 'totality' shadow starts across.  Now slightly less than two and a quarter hours until totality.  An hour and twelve minutes of totality then it starts unwinding.  (Figures correct at time of typing, several more minutes may be eaten up before actually posting.)

Best visible from Atlantic-seaboard nations and regions.  Those on the west coast of the US will find it happening perhaps inconveniently close to the horizon during dusk and heading over towards Eastern Europe you're instead going to find it competing with dawn.  Further adrift, round the planet... well, you're probably due a good Solar Eclipse before I get to see another one from anywhere conveniently close to home, so I've got no sympathies for you... ;)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: September 27, 2015, 07:20:39 pm »

Yeah it's pretty neat, apparently this hasn't happened for around 30 years.

I wish I could stay up to watch it, but I have to get up early tomorrow and I'm trying to get into some semblance of a healthy sleep schedule. It's too bad since I got a telescope for my birthday and this would be a good opportunity to try it out.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: September 27, 2015, 09:02:52 pm »

to be fair statistically i'm not sure if there are any other events within about 10,000 light years

the moon/sun angular diameter coincidence going on right now is pretty friggin special believe it or not

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: September 27, 2015, 09:10:35 pm »

to be fair statistically i'm not sure if there are any other events within about 10,000 light years

the moon/sun angular diameter coincidence going on right now is pretty friggin special believe it or not
That applies to Solar Eclipses (how many (few) thousand years is it supposed to be before they all become Annular?) but Earth's shadow is larger than the moon (as is Jupiter's shadow far bigger than its satellites, and probably Mars with Phobos/Deimos) so it's not so 'finely tuned' this way round.

Just a shard of direct light left, as I type.  And even with that glaring at me, the combined sunrises (and/or sunsets) of the Earth are already colouring the rest a dark red.  In a couple of minutes it could well be a good blood-red moon...  If the clouds stay away from my locale.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: September 27, 2015, 10:34:43 pm »

Just came back from outside to catch a couple hours of sack time before the day. It was beautiful, the moon suspended as a drop of dried blood in heaven...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: September 27, 2015, 10:39:08 pm »

I wish I could have seen it. It's been cloudy all day. ::)
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 232