Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 290314 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1335 on: October 26, 2015, 11:08:37 am »

I'm not really sure this is connected to space anymore.
Radiation damage.
That might affect our (possibly jewish) slaves building the moon piramyds for the space pharaoh.
But slaves were never actually used to build the Egyptian pyramids.
Didn't you see that documentary.... Exodus?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: October 26, 2015, 11:15:44 am »

I think that Exodus (the book) says that the slaves made the bricks, not the structures themselves.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: October 26, 2015, 11:16:01 am »

I think that Exodus (the book) says that the slaves made the bricks, not the structures themselves.
And the movie.
Well,  The Ten Commandments.  Not necessarily any movie named Exodus.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: October 26, 2015, 11:22:07 am »

Indeed, I just went back and checked, since I was curious.  Exodus cites "harsh labor in brick and mortar and with all kinds of work in the fields," as well as attributing the construction of Pithom and Rameses to them.  I don't see anything about pyramids, though I do tend to be a bit blind; that may have been a later conflation of separate construction works due to the notion that "Egyptian = pyramid."

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: October 26, 2015, 01:38:00 pm »

Regardless, Exodus is not a reliable source.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: October 26, 2015, 02:43:43 pm »

All the major pyramids were built around the middle of the third millenium BC, about 1000 years before exodus could have happened. This also puts to rest the alien/pyramid theories. Because they really did suck at building the earlier pyramids and took a while to perfect the art.

The third dynasty built stepped pyramids from circa 2650BC to 2610BC, by merely building a slab tomb, then building smaller and smaller slab tombs on top of those. So a pretty obvious development from earlier architechture.

Then Sneferu of the fourth dynasty tried to make regular pyramids by merely filling in the steps with smaller stones. It took him at least three goes at building proper pyramids to make one that didn't completely suck (the-one-that-fell-over, then the-bent-one, then the not-very-tall-one). Then his desecendents for the next 100 years made all the proper pyramids we know today. After that, things went to shit, and so did the art of pyramid building. So regular pyramids lasted for 100 years, with 50 years worth of step pyramids before that. All later pyramids were sorry sacks of shit.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:47:57 pm by Reelya »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: October 26, 2015, 02:46:29 pm »

No, but considering this all started from a sarcastic joke along that exact line, it is amusing to point out that for all its fallacies and likely its complete inaccuracy from base premises (that is, the notion that there were a significant number of Hebrew slaves in Egypt in the first place), even Exodus itself doesn't make the pop-culture mistake of Jews building Egyptian pyramids.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: October 26, 2015, 03:55:23 pm »

This is what I had in mind when I made the joke, no need to derail the thread further.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: October 26, 2015, 05:05:26 pm »

It's a more reliable source than no source though.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: October 26, 2015, 05:28:15 pm »

No source has no reliability. It literally has no value to compare, so you can't.

But yes something is at least more useful than nothing, since you can try and look at the culture it was written in.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: October 26, 2015, 06:04:46 pm »

That's how we know we truly are in one of the branches of Yggdrasil, the World Tree.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: October 27, 2015, 01:14:39 am »

It's a more reliable source than no source though.
I think it's important to differentiate between "acting as our only source because no other more reliable sources exist" and "acting as our only source because we don't want to look at other sources". While Exodus can certainly count as the first for societal research about the people of the time in which it was written (which was mainly not the time in which it is set), it's definitely the second one for historical research, to the point where even religious Israeli historians agree that it's a bunch of anachronistic stories that didn't really happen as described. :P

In more spacey aimed stuff, it seems like some of our space trash is coming back. From the sound of things it isn't going to be a problem, though it looks like labs are going to use this as an excellent training exercise and field test for many of the protocols that would be used if a more dangerous piece of space stuff (like say, a large asteroid), was headed towards us.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: October 27, 2015, 02:57:37 am »

That's how we know we truly are in one of the branches of Yggdrasil, the World Tree.
It's turtles all the way down!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: October 27, 2015, 07:48:55 am »

In more spacey aimed stuff, it seems like some of our space trash is coming back. From the sound of things it isn't going to be a problem, though it looks like labs are going to use this as an excellent training exercise and field test for many of the protocols that would be used if a more dangerous piece of space stuff (like say, a large asteroid), was headed towards us.
And of course, people are claiming that it is aliens and the government is lying to us.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: October 27, 2015, 07:55:31 am »

And of course, people are claiming that it is aliens and the government is lying to us.
Ugh, I hate those people. Specially when it's obviously a ruse to hide bigfoot.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 232