Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289146 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1485 on: January 21, 2016, 09:48:12 am »

Space is chock full of stars.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: January 21, 2016, 10:03:26 am »

And in fairness, there are a couple planetoids out there bigger than Pluto. Mostly not by very much, and on pretty weird orbits too.

If it turns out to be there, I do approve Chronos/Kronos.
Actually, New Horizons proved Pluto is in fact bigger than Eris, making Pluto once again the biggest dwarf fortress.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: January 21, 2016, 11:12:19 am »

And in fairness, there are a couple planetoids out there bigger than Pluto. Mostly not by very much, and on pretty weird orbits too.

Actually, New Horizons proved Pluto is in fact bigger than Eris, making Pluto once again the biggest dwarf fortress.
Eris changes her size periodically to cause controversy. It's her thing.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: January 21, 2016, 03:55:47 pm »

To be fair, in Astronomy, if observed values end up the same order of magnitude as predicted values it is usually remarkable.
This is a blank sig.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: January 21, 2016, 03:57:58 pm »

To be fair, in Astronomy, if observed values end up the same order of magnitude as predicted values it is usually remarkable.
Remember, the temperature of the surface of stars is approximately 0K. For the purposes of some calculations anyway.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: January 24, 2016, 09:45:34 pm »

Has black hole sun been discussed yet?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: January 24, 2016, 09:50:08 pm »

Has black hole sun been discussed yet?
I think it has. The conclusion was that the Sun isn't one, and Soundgarden had just one good song.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: January 24, 2016, 09:54:53 pm »

So a black hole wouldn't work as a pseudo sun
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: January 24, 2016, 09:55:58 pm »

Oh, that? Yeah, a black hole of equivalent mass to the sun would result in a solar system that is completely identical to this one in terms of orbits AFAIK.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: January 24, 2016, 10:01:45 pm »

Actually, I don't think so. The sun is constantly emitting a negligible-for-its-size but real amount of both matter and energy, while a black hole of equal mass would not. As such....I'm not exactly sure what that would do to the orbits, but I'm sure it would add up over the millennia.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: January 24, 2016, 10:08:20 pm »

Actually, I don't think so. The sun is constantly emitting a negligible-for-its-size but real amount of both matter and energy, while a black hole of equal mass would not. As such....I'm not exactly sure what that would do to the orbits, but I'm sure it would add up over the millennia.
Centripetal force keeping the planets in orbit would be exactly the same. I think that's what he was trying to say.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: January 25, 2016, 04:06:08 am »

This ignores the magnetic interactions though!!

The solar magnetosphere encompases the whole solar system. Exiting that magnetosphere is when you hit the heliopause, and enter interstellar space.

A black hole does not really have a magnetosphere; the necessary photon-photon interactions needed to have the requisite field lines are impossible, because photons cannot escape from the blackhole's event horizon. This means that unless the hole is actively feeding (and therefor has a plasma torus surrounding it) there cannot be such a strong magnetosphere. (in either case, the hole itself cannot sustain a magnetic field. The torus just on the event horizon makes the field, driven by obscene dynamo effects.)

You should not discount the impact this would have on planetary systems. Large, highly magnetic bodies like Jupiter would become the main forces of magnetisim in the planetary system (again, unless the hole is actively feeding), and this would perturb the orbits of smaller but still magnetic bodies, like the earth. 

If the hole was actively feeding, the field produced by the plasma torus would be many times stronger than that of our sun, because the excitation energy is much higher. (matter is literally being pushed up and passed the degenerate threshold at the inner side of the torus!!) This strong a field would tug on massively magnetic bodies like Jupiter, pulling them into the inner solar system.

Black hole sun would not work the same as a normal star in either case.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: January 25, 2016, 04:24:13 am »

You should not discount the impact this would have on planetary systems. Large, highly magnetic bodies like Jupiter would become the main forces of magnetisim in the planetary system (again, unless the hole is actively feeding), and this would perturb the orbits of smaller but still magnetic bodies, like the earth.
By how much? Because unless you show me some numbers, I'll happily discount it, and much more easily than radiation and solar wind pressure, or solar mass loss.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: January 25, 2016, 04:25:46 am »

magnetic flux tube formation is enough to rip atmospheres off.

Chew on that a bit.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: January 25, 2016, 04:35:07 am »

Ah. So you've never actually tried putting any numbers on that.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 232