Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 290441 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1575 on: February 08, 2016, 08:33:49 am »

n-body physics only make a big difference over a long period of time, with small "tugs" every obit or so. As you can imagine, that would be incredibly annoying to play where if you send a probe to jool (jupiter analog) the many years it takes to get there will have caused all your satalites around kebin to have been tossed wildly around and sent off into deep space or crashed into kerbin. Other than the every so often small "tug" the physics simulation is spot on, and it makes the game playable.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: February 08, 2016, 06:36:07 pm »

n-body physics only make a big difference over a long period of time, with small "tugs" every obit or so. As you can imagine, that would be incredibly annoying to play where if you send a probe to jool (jupiter analog) the many years it takes to get there will have caused all your satalites around kebin to have been tossed wildly around and sent off into deep space or crashed into kerbin. Other than the every so often small "tug" the physics simulation is spot on, and it makes the game playable.

Kerbin is actually fairly stable AFAIK, but Jool is not so lucky.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: February 09, 2016, 01:15:01 am »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: February 09, 2016, 06:45:07 am »

Apparently a few other people were injured though, it wasn't just the one guy.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: February 10, 2016, 04:39:18 am »

What the shit.

This guy is arguing that the sun is actually electrically powered, using green comic sans.

I mean, what?

Does this look like how you want to perform scientific discussion?

Consider the article.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: February 10, 2016, 04:51:23 am »

What the shit.

This guy is arguing that the sun is actually electrically powered, using green comic sans.

I mean, what?

Consider the article.
That looks like one of the 'Electric universe' aka 'Plasma cosmology' crowd (though they'd probably argue there's a difference). They're some of the crackpottest out there. Google 'thunderbolts project' if you don't value your hair.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: February 10, 2016, 06:37:51 am »

What the shit.

I mean, what?

Consider the article.
Quickly scanning through, it appears to me that what we have here is someone who has learnt some basic physics and believes that they now know 'everything', and now can't believe any extra refinements to physics that is available for them to learn.  Such as "nuclear fusion gives out energy, so nuclear fission should always use up energy, obviously!!!" (to paraphrase).  They've made up a 'consistent' personal theory in lieu of this and will doubtless stick religiously to that theory, especially since all geniuses were once told they were wrong, so being told that they are wrong is conclusive evidence that they are, in fact, a genius...

Also we have someone who believes that repeating images (sometimes two or three consecutive times, separated only by an intervening paragraph!), is a valid way of making a point with the images that the images didn't even make the first time.

(And the element is "silicon", not "silicone", but that's the least of the author's worries.)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: February 10, 2016, 06:57:42 am »

Beautiful.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: February 10, 2016, 07:18:21 am »

Also unutterably stupid.

*returns to reading RationalWiki to restore their faith in humanity*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: February 10, 2016, 09:29:53 am »

Art Deco space tourism posters from NASA/JPL. The urge to print and frame some of these is very strong.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1586 on: February 10, 2016, 12:53:00 pm »

He wha nish bargh

"The sun can't have fusion because fusion is net loss, and the sun can't be fusion because if it was made of hydrogen its atoms would collapse."

I think that important functional parts of this person's brain are missing.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: February 10, 2016, 01:07:07 pm »

I couldn't get too far in without experiencing Time Cube-esque numbing of the mind, but in general I'm pretty sure this guy doesn't know much. The sun doesn't turn off during ice ages, and plasma is far more dense than atomic matter, not "empty space".
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: February 10, 2016, 02:13:54 pm »

Fusing light elements up to iron releases energy, fissing heavy elements down to iron releases energy.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: February 10, 2016, 02:17:45 pm »

So, wait, theoretically, doesn't that mean that the universes "true" equilibrium would be when all matter is iron? Then there would be no way to release any more energy.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 232