Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 290344 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1785 on: August 20, 2016, 07:55:21 pm »

*gets blown away by 300 kph woosh*

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: August 20, 2016, 10:16:02 pm »

Have you ever seen a ten year old sail?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That is a racing sail for an opti. I used to sail those. The top racers would change their sails every year.
<---Joke---
 *Wooosh*
   Maniac

(FYI, that was a joke, as in reinterpreting the statement as "have you ever seen 'a ten year-old' sail (a ship)", instead of as "have you ever seen 'a ten year-old sail' (for a ship)").
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: August 24, 2016, 01:21:17 pm »

It seems we have another destination for our bay12colonists:

https://palereddot.org/proxima-b-is-our-closest-neighbor-better-get-used-to-it/

:o

Seriously, this is about as good as it gets. Not only is this one of the best habitable planet candidates that we have found among the thousands of worlds that we know of, but it orbits the nearest star from the sun!

It has to be stressed that we still know almost nothing about this planet. It could be as hellish as venus or as frozen as mars depending on what type of atmosphere it has, but what we do know looks very promising.
Interstellar travel may be impossible with todays technology, but spending the effort to make such travel possible is a lot more atractive if you know something good is waiting for you on the other side of the void.

Amazing stuff!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: August 24, 2016, 01:47:46 pm »

Nifty!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: August 24, 2016, 02:18:36 pm »

Pretty awesome find indeed. The planet would be suffering from high X-ray radiation levels though from the dwarf star, and magnetic eruptions that can blow away atmospheres, so we shouldn't get our hopes up too high of finding life there.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: August 24, 2016, 02:28:13 pm »

I bet there's tall blue aliens over there.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: August 24, 2016, 02:49:00 pm »

Pretty awesome find indeed. The planet would be suffering from high X-ray radiation levels though from the dwarf star, and magnetic eruptions that can blow away atmospheres, so we shouldn't get our hopes up too high of finding life there.

Well personally I'm not expecting us to find life anywhere. (Based on the fermi paradox and how *incredibly* complex even the most simple life forms need to be from our current understanding). It would not hurt to find habitable planets though, if empty, we can use them. Inhabited worlds would pose ethical questions.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: August 24, 2016, 04:05:56 pm »

Interstellar travel may be impossible with todays technology, but spending the effort to make such travel possible is a lot more atractive if you know something good is waiting for you on the other side of the void.
But we've had the technology for decades! It's just an engineering, political, and sociological problem.

Orion nuclear pulse drive
Quote from: Wikipedia
At 0.1c, Orion thermonuclear starships would require a flight time of at least 44 years to reach Alpha Centauri, not counting time needed to reach that speed (about 36 days at constant acceleration of 1g or 9.8 m/s2).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: August 24, 2016, 04:11:08 pm »

I wonder what kind of analysis you'd get if you gave an exoplanet researcher an anonymized version of the Earth and Sun, changed the other planets, and asked them to assess habitability.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: August 24, 2016, 04:16:31 pm »

But we've had the technology for decades! It's just an engineering, political, and sociological problem.

Orion nuclear pulse drive
Quote from: Wikipedia
At 0.1c, Orion thermonuclear starships would require a flight time of at least 44 years to reach Alpha Centauri, not counting time needed to reach that speed (about 36 days at constant acceleration of 1g or 9.8 m/s2).
Is that from earth's perspective or the ship's perspective? Special Reletivity would be important here.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: August 24, 2016, 04:32:54 pm »

The ship's perspective. There's no reason to measure Earth's relative perspective; it's not like they're coming back.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: August 24, 2016, 04:40:54 pm »

The time dilation at .1c is only ~1% IIRC.  Doesn't matter much when you just arbitrarily picked the value .1c in the first place.  Oh and you'd be decelerating as much as accelerating so it would all be a wash in the end.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: August 24, 2016, 04:57:42 pm »

1% of 44 years is pretty significant for a human.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: August 24, 2016, 05:10:04 pm »

The only humans experiencing the perspective would be people on earth caring about the minutae of the trip.  The people on board wouldn't experience it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: August 24, 2016, 05:13:03 pm »

The only humans experiencing the perspective would be people on earth caring about the minutae of the trip.  The people on board wouldn't experience it.
What I'm saying is would the trip take 44 earth years (about 43.5 years for the ship), or 44 ship years (about 44.5 years for earth)
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 232