Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 38

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: The Court of Colors | Renascence | Town Win  (Read 114413 times)

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: Day 1 has begun | Act I: Prelude
« Reply #225 on: January 05, 2014, 04:39:54 pm »

Makeinu, Please, Don't put Lurker's as a scumtell, at least not yet. Look for actual scum. Anyone can see lurkiness, but killing someone for lurkiness, especially with a ML, is dumb.

???

And here I thought it was Bay12 meta that even a mislynch on D1 was useful. And so far most of what I see is lurkiness.

Your play baffles me, I'll be honest, though it's clearer now. Marginally. It still looks largely scummy from a forum-mafia standpoint.

Persus has already demonstrated he effectively knows how to play scum.

Nerjin... wait... yeah, also mostly lurking. Nerjin! What's up there? You have game, I've seen it, are you bringing it?

The rest are newbs, and it's harder to pick newb-slips from scum-slips than you might think in this format.

Here's an idea: instead of tunneling, why don't you follow your own advice? That most recent post of yours exceeds the rest of your posts in thread all by itself! Are you going to engage in any scum-hunting, or are you going to ask others to do your thinking for you again?
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 05, 2014, 05:15:25 pm »

Makeinu, I'm happy to ML...

I'm not happy to use it on a lurker. WHy? Because we don't get any information. EVEN IF WE ARE RIGHT.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2014, 05:29:18 pm »

Makeinu, I'm happy to ML...

I'm not. Ever.

I'm not happy to use it on a lurker. WHy? Because we don't get any information. EVEN IF WE ARE RIGHT.

Role-flip, so we get at least that. Better to mislynch an active player, if it happens, because then there's other things to analyze, but that still counts for something.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2014, 07:10:17 pm »

Sinlessmoon: You're still lurking, but at least you've bothered to show up this time. Are you going to play, or shall we seek a replacement? Or policy lynch because the day is close to over? I won't go the "last time" route with you, because that's drawing meta into it, and I'd rather not do that.But, as I say to Jembot, this looks like you want others to find suspicion for you instead of on you.

No, I'm still here. Just keeping an eye on the proceedings since I don't really know in what fashion I should be taking part in. :P

This is one of my first full mafia games that I can spend time on, which means I'm not really sure how I should structure my posts in order to create long posts with any form of significance.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2014, 07:28:45 pm »

Jembot:
I apologise for by lurking thus far, I've been on holidays but I get back tomorrow arvo, at that point I will post a wall of text with all my suspicions thus far
I'll be waiting for that wall of text.

makeinu:
As I pointed out to Persus in Limerick, by what do you judge me here?
-snip-
I could quote that, if you'd like,
-snip-
Actually, makeinu, I for one would perhaps like to see that quoted, as I am not following Limerick. I'm doing my part to stick to this game, and this game only.

Persus: I never, honestly, took SBC's question as real, [1] though I did wonder what exactly his point was. When mastahcheese pressed it, I saw an opportunity to squeeze them both with a response and see what came out. [2] I'm pleased with what I saw. Though, [3] in SBC's case, it was like getting blood from a stone.

You read that as deflection. I read that as strategy. Three moves ahead. [4] Finding Town is just as important as finding scum, hopefully to ensure the wrong person isn't lynched. Surely you understand the value in that?
[1] Then you should have pressed it, if you have a question you ask your freaking question! Your business of being passive, waiting for the other person to respond, is a scum-tactic. Activity is scum hunting, being passive and calling it what would amount to "town-hunting" is not what town should do, it sounds exactly like a deflection.

[2] Could you please elaborate on this, if you would? What exactly are you seeing here?

[3] From my perspective, it seemed to me that it was more of SBC drawing blood out of you. You repeatedly failed to quote, up to the point where I actually went back to the proper place, and then you didn't even quote from me, but rather made mention to what I had quoted above. I fail to see how this was so painful for you, as, if I remember correctly, you even got on SBC, and told them to calm down, and that ALL-CAPS gets you nowhere.

[4] While I can't argue the importance of knowing who is town, don't you think you should put just a little but more effort on finding scum, rather than "town-hunting" and wasting our time on you?
Actually, this quote sums it pretty nicely.
Makeinu, Please, Don't put Lurker's as a scumtell, at least not yet. Look for actual scum. Anyone can see lurkiness, but killing someone for lurkiness, especially with a ML, is dumb.
And here I thought it was Bay12 meta that even a mislynch on D1 was useful. And so far most of what I see is lurkiness.
A mislynch, is never as valuable as a scum lynch.

Sinlessmoon:
No, I'm still here. Just keeping an eye on the proceedings since I don't really know in what fashion I should be taking part in. :P

This is one of my first full mafia games that I can spend time on, which means I'm not really sure how I should structure my posts in order to create long posts with any form of significance.
Don't just watch, participate.
Even if you aren't sure of what you're doing, try.
Don't worry about the format so much, just divide it up by which person you're talking to, and make your questions stand out.
You'll see I've put names before their segment, and bolded it to draw attention, and then when I have multiple questions, I number them, try something like that. But don't just sit by and watch everyone else. If you have a question, ask it. If you want clarification, say so. If you just want to impart your view on a situation, do so.
Some people have been saying to not get in the way of other people's questioning, but everyone's input serves a purpose, so put yours out there.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 05, 2014, 09:28:42 pm »

makeinu:
As I pointed out to Persus in Limerick, by what do you judge me here?
-snip-
I could quote that, if you'd like,
-snip-
Actually, makeinu, I for one would perhaps like to see that quoted, as I am not following Limerick. I'm doing my part to stick to this game, and this game only.

Not much different from what I posted here before, but here you go:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Persus: I never, honestly, took SBC's question as real, [1] though I did wonder what exactly his point was. When mastahcheese pressed it, I saw an opportunity to squeeze them both with a response and see what came out. [2] I'm pleased with what I saw. Though, [3] in SBC's case, it was like getting blood from a stone.

You read that as deflection. I read that as strategy. Three moves ahead. [4] Finding Town is just as important as finding scum, hopefully to ensure the wrong person isn't lynched. Surely you understand the value in that?
[1] Then you should have pressed it, if you have a question you ask your freaking question! Your business of being passive, waiting for the other person to respond, is a scum-tactic. Activity is scum hunting, being passive and calling it what would amount to "town-hunting" is not what town should do, it sounds exactly like a deflection.

Finding Town to avoid a mis-lynch is just as important, and a lot easier to do when you're otherwise busy. I've avoided mentioning it, but I've got a lot going on in real life right now. It may appear I've a lot of free time, but I don't; what I do have is being allocated here as much as I can afford.

[2] Could you please elaborate on this, if you would? What exactly are you seeing here?

An actual explanation of anything from SBC, as I detailed.

[3] From my perspective, it seemed to me that it was more of SBC drawing blood out of you. You repeatedly failed to quote, up to the point where I actually went back to the proper place, and then you didn't even quote from me, but rather made mention to what I had quoted above. I fail to see how this was so painful for you, as, if I remember correctly, you even got on SBC, and told them to calm down, and that ALL-CAPS gets you nowhere.

He also failed repeatedly to clarify what he wanted quoted! So, whatever. When I had the chance to figure it out, I did, once again doing the work for SBC, and then answered him. At length.

[4] While I can't argue the importance of knowing who is town, don't you think you should put just a little but more effort on finding scum, rather than "town-hunting" and wasting our time on you?

Nobody's forcing you to spend any effort on any particular area of the game.

A mislynch, is never as valuable as a scum lynch.

Value order of lynches:

1) scum
2) active town
3) lurker
4) no lynch

The first three actually give some information. SBC's claim seems to me to be that it's less valuable to lynch a lurker than it is to no lynch. Which is a terrible claim, most of the time. Yes, no lynch can be a strategic thing to do, but not on Day 1. Note, too, I NEVER said that a mis-lynch was more valuable than a scum lynch. That rates a "Duh!", thank you, and I'll also thank you not to put words in my mouth.

Now, I've listed my top scum reads (I'm borderline on SBC still, as he always seems sort of scummy to me).

Where's yours?

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2014, 09:32:33 pm »

I said to ML, but not on lurkers! READ >:c

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2014, 09:44:33 pm »

I said to ML, but not on lurkers! READ >:c

Ironic advice, I love it.

Lynch All Lurkers is a policy-lynch in response to players who attempt to scum-lurk to avoid notice. I'm assuming that epicmafia doesn't have that problem, but forum mafia games frequently do. We have several, in case you haven't noticed.

You don't have to vote to lynch a lurker. I will, lacking a better target.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 05, 2014, 09:59:00 pm »

BEcause on the 4 mafia games I've played thus far on this forum. Not once has a lurker been scum.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2014, 10:01:52 pm »

Aaaaaand, that would be because of the Lynch All Lurkers policy lynch. But dismissing that as an option gives scum the option to lurk to victory.

Got a scum-buddy that's lurking? Is that why you won't do it here?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 06, 2014, 12:02:18 am »

Note, too, I NEVER said that a mis-lynch was more valuable than a scum lynch. That rates a "Duh!", thank you, and I'll also thank you not to put words in my mouth.

Now, I've listed my top scum reads (I'm borderline on SBC still, as he always seems sort of scummy to me).

Where's yours?
I could mention your very defensive, almost to the point of passive-aggressive tone, but I think it's been mentioned enough already.
I'll give you my reads.

Superblackcat: Seems to be very confused lately, but shown signs of paying attention. Clearly not used to forum-style mafia, but trying, none the less. Leaning town.
Sinlessmoon: Lurking. Lurking. Lurking. Mentioned that they don't know how to introduce themselves into the game. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're incompetent or clueless, but clearly needs help. Not sure if scumlurker or just noob.
Jembot: Been a bit more active, but not by much. Very passive stance, reactive, little actual action. Leaning scumlurker, but may just be overly busy/displaying lack of interest.
Persus13: Not as active as I tend to see in other games, seems to be taking a bit more of a back-up stance than an actual hunting role. But they called me out on what looked like hypocrisy at the time, so it gives me a bit of faith. Leaning town, wish they'd participate more.
Pufferfish: Now that I think of it, I keep forgetting they're playing in this game. Pufferfish, where are you at?
MyOwnWorstEnemy: Keeps promising walls of texts that continue to disappoint me with their lack of actually being there. May be active lurking, may be busy.
Nerjin: Also disappointing me with their lack of general participation, but Nerjin doesn't strike me as the lurking type, and I haven't seen them around other parts of the forum, either, so I'm assuming he's just busy. Really wish he could be here, though. Leaning town.
makeinu: The way you're acting just doesn't add up. Your stories don't add up. You say that you think something is a jest, but still wonder about it, and don't question it? You keep acting in ways that are far too passive, and keep trying to change the subject. I've mentioned all this before, you simply aren't acting right. I will be seriously shocked if you are town, because what you're doing would be the worst town tactic I've seen. I will not be convinced that you are town unless you flip. Period.

This game is giving me disappointment after disappointment about the sheer lack of participation, and it's not just one or two people, most of the people in this game should be a lot more active. There's only about 3-4 of us regularly posting, and it's saddening.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 06, 2014, 01:38:11 am »

This game is giving me disappointment after disappointment about the sheer lack of participation, and it's not just one or two people, most of the people in this game should be a lot more active. There's only about 3-4 of us regularly posting, and it's saddening.

That I will unequivocally agree with...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 06, 2014, 06:46:47 am »

So. Net cut out before I could post.

The day is mod-extended to Wednesday, ending at 9:00pm, GMT +8.

[Disclaimer: This rant is oriented more towards those who don't care about telling anything beforehand and disappearing--or just plain missing without trying. It is a case of lacking voluntariness, dispelled by due diligence.

I am proud, however, to be writing for those who still choose to play and learn.
]

Granted, my only excuse is lacking net--while overshadowed by the speed, I'm also at fault here for not updating as a primary priority, instead preferring RL.

However, if the game continues to be such, I'm more inclined to copy that state: No flavor, just blank nothingness. I had thought that chat will bloom and blossom; this is DAY ONE, and MOST BMs are double this page length! Normally, I'd just post down the votecount.

But I agree. Heavy prods incoming.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 06, 2014, 07:03:36 am »

Blugherfluggle... Gotta love busy times. Sorry folks, I'll be doing another 'read-stravaganza' sometime before the day [actual day, not game-day] ends. Thankfully you guys have finally started posting more so I'll have more to say.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 06, 2014, 10:43:26 am »

Aaaaaand, that would be because of the Lynch All Lurkers policy lynch. But dismissing that as an option gives scum the option to lurk to victory.

Got a scum-buddy that's lurking? Is that why you won't do it here?

Nope, just that I don't believe scum is lurking because of the lynch all lurkers policy. Since they still get lynched in the end. Or in some games. It's still much too risky for a scum to lurk. But they seem to be doing that this game... At least one of them.

I'd say active lurking is 10x more of an scumtell...
and for that.

Nerjin, you better stop.

Where is Jembot?

Sinless.... Be here.

and you too Persus
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 38