Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 153130 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.
« Reply #1350 on: June 05, 2017, 07:21:21 am »

The fact that the basic deck is meant to be "viable, decent but not spectacular deck"

The devs might be worse at Hearthstone than I thought. Don't some of those decks have Silverback Patriarch in them?

Well... intentionally putting in bad cards isn't unheard of in Trading Card Game prebuild decks. Though yeah they are meant to be decent...

Though if you want to get into the outright terrible "Tutorial Deck/Basic Deck/Starting Deck" the Shaman's starting deck is up there.

Given most people who play have decent decks now... Upgrading the starting decks is something I believe they should do.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:23:06 am by Neonivek »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: June 05, 2017, 07:32:03 am »

Well. The idea is that upgrading past the basic deck is a journey that the players themselves have to go down. That that's part of the actual gameplay in the game, exploring new cards and concepts. They do have deck recipes now, which are sorta an upgraded from the awful basic decks, especially the "classic" recipe. But they are still pretty bad.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: June 05, 2017, 07:45:09 am »

I am going to be fair there is something to be said about making the starting deck TOO good.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: June 29, 2017, 12:01:22 am »

Finally, a good Brawl. I played SEVERAL hunter/Patches games before I switched to a counter-strategy.

If you have 40 dust to spare, you can farm all the Patches folks with a priest and Power Word: Glory. It's awesome, I actually hit the 100 gold win cap for the first time since I started playing.

Unrelated, anyone in Wild using the Summoning Stone mage deck? I'm thinking about crafting it for wacky hijinx and whatever, but it's expensive-ish and I'd like to at least survive a few ladder matches with the damn thing.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:07:22 am by Darkmere »
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: June 29, 2017, 08:13:34 am »

Apparently quest rogue is getting rekt. 5 copies instead of 4. I mean, super easy to kill with aggro now, but it was already easy too aggro down. Think that the slow down will help the bad match ups enough against it? Is it still a reasonable deck, or getting deleted from the meta? Tbh, I've never played quest rogue, and during times when it was prevalent in the meta I played aggro, so I'm not super well versed in the match up vs control decks, so I don't know how large an impact this will have.

On the whole I'm a little bit surprised that they are making the change at this point, since although rogue certainly warps the meta, it's seemingly introduced a cycle of rogue<aggro<control<rogue. Which I feel is sorta the most balanced hearthstones been for quite a while and I personally thought that this was more or less what they wanted with jade druid. I guess they've either decided that they can keep the cycle with a rogue nerf and jade druid, or that it's actually not fun (which I have to admit it is sorta blegh feeling to play a lot of the match up that exist.)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: June 29, 2017, 11:09:31 am »

Finally, a good Brawl. I played SEVERAL hunter/Patches games before I switched to a counter-strategy.

If you have 40 dust to spare, you can farm all the Patches folks with a priest and Power Word: Glory. It's awesome, I actually hit the 100 gold win cap for the first time since I started playing.

I did exactly that, anticipating Patches decks. Instead I ran into two Mind Blast priests in a row. =/

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: June 29, 2017, 12:12:38 pm »

I did exactly that, anticipating Patches decks. Instead I ran into two Mind Blast priests in a row. =/

Yeah, bad matchups happen. No reason not to concede instantly and try again, though.

Quest rogue is kind of... eh. I've won more than lost against them even without aggro decks, but I didn't really enjoy the games other than watching my opponent flail helplessly against draw RNG.

I doubt it will be playable after the change unless there's a shadowstep clone printed in the next set, barring the wild mill quest deck that treats the quest as a kind of side objective. I get why people think it's not fun, but there's other decks I find equally unfun (any mage deck with alexstrasza, quest warrior) that seem to be ignored or given a pass for some reason.

I've only been playing a year but the "oppressive control utopia" meta that people refer to a lot seems absurd. I get why you would want to keep fatigue out as a win condition and approve, but I think that's more a function of not giving stupid fatigue decks stupid tools to prolong matches instead of printing magic bullet cards like jade idol to keep them down. People are going to gravitate towards aggro for simple efficiency, just due to ladder mechanics.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: June 29, 2017, 09:04:06 pm »

Part of the issue with quest rogue was that it was a solitaire deck that was just unreasonably binary. The nature of it means you can get flooded way too hard with bounces or bounce targets and just brick and do nothing for 8 turns, or you just go off and there's nothing the opponent could have done. Unlike other solitaire decks of the past, quest rogue hinged on turn 3 instead of turn 30, so not only was it a deck type that blizzard hates to begin with, but it was an especially unhealthy variant of it.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: June 30, 2017, 11:35:06 am »

Part of the issue with quest rogue was that it was a solitaire deck that was just unreasonably binary. The nature of it means you can get flooded way too hard with bounces or bounce targets and just brick and do nothing for 8 turns, or you just go off and there's nothing the opponent could have done. Unlike other solitaire decks of the past, quest rogue hinged on turn 3 instead of turn 30, so not only was it a deck type that blizzard hates to begin with, but it was an especially unhealthy variant of it.

yeah, i think this. it had some chance of exploding unreasonably early, or sputtering and never getting anywhere.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: July 05, 2017, 01:18:15 pm »

Midsummer event going on now, double quest rewards for the next two weeks or so. Pretty good time to stock up on gold for the upcoming expansion.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: July 05, 2017, 04:54:59 pm »

I predict a heroic brawl in the near future, probably next week.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: July 05, 2017, 05:24:25 pm »

I predict a heroic brawl in the near future, probably next week.
Speaking of tavern brawls, this week's one is kinda meh in my opinion.  Maybe its just that its wild and I don't have any wild cards except Azure Drake so I get people using real strong wild stuff against me, but I think that a boss-style tavern brawl where both players try and defeat rag would have been better.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: July 05, 2017, 06:19:44 pm »

Yeah. The co-op brawls are always the best in my opinion, although I do like co-op games more then competitive games anyway so I guess I don't have a good way to judge by absolute quality. I think this brawl is fun enough as far as they go... I've had great success with just aggroish decks when finishing my quests (although I faced a priest who had just an amazing amount of healing in his deck, not only did he win, but he won on an absolute ton of health... So maybe pure aggro isn't the only way... No idea if he can take out an ancient watcher warlock though.) and I've been okay doing my quests in it... But I can see that for someone who doesn't have like, three year old eggs (the star of pretty much any deck) that it'd be pretty rough.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: July 05, 2017, 07:37:36 pm »

I've seen a few people with lots of stall and grim patron do pretty well. if your patrons last a turn and the game isn't over yet, frothing zerker would be pretty funny to add in. Armorsmith, too. Acolyte of pain...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: July 06, 2017, 09:22:50 pm »

So. Expansion was (officially at least) just announced. Knights of the Frozen throne. New lifesteal mechanic seems okay (but the minion they showed with it paid hella lota of stats for it.) Might be interesting.

Big thing is each class gets a card that turns them into a death knight. Hunter gets a 6 mana one, gives 5 armor, 2 damage to enemy aoe, and the hero power is you discover two beasts and get a minion with the abilities, health, attack, and mana cost of both into your hand. Very slow, but the side aoe and armor aren't actually that terrible so maybe... Er. Probably not though, in my opinion (if you wanta deck that crushes late with massively powerful minions might as well go jade and get them for less mana and more reliably right?)

Still. 9 more Jaraxxus, at least some are going to stick! Going be cool. Hopefully.

Edit: Oh. And they are also technically a new card type. So probably no hilarious counterspelled or randomly found deathknights sadly.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:25:14 pm by Criptfeind »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 109