Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 169445 times)

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Collecting Ideas
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2013, 02:27:00 pm »

I like them, nice work!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2013, 03:00:53 pm »

Ui... testing shows an odd behaviour: Skeletons have NOEMOTION, and will never tantrum. But they still make friends. Warlocks do have emotions, and can tantrum. Warlocks can become friends will skeletons. (He is my favourite servant, it would be a shame if anything would happen to him). If skeletons die, Warlocks get unhappy, because fort members died. (Oh, no, Jack Skellington, he was so young).

This will make for a very tantrum-heavy warlock population. I think I like it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2013, 03:02:41 pm »

Ui... testing shows an odd behaviour: Skeletons have NOEMOTION, and will never tantrum. But they still make friends. Warlocks do have emotions, and can tantrum. Warlocks can become friends will skeletons. (He is my favourite servant, it would be a shame if anything would happen to him). If skeletons die, Warlocks get unhappy, because fort members died. (Oh, no, Jack Skellington, he was so young).

This will make for a very tantrum-heavy warlock population. I think I like it.
I would suggest training warlocks to be literally heartless, but this is funnier.

AshFire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2013, 03:15:47 pm »

I think personality traits for a race can do something with friendship.
Is it possible to set VULNERABILITY, EMOTIONALITY, FRIENDLINESS and GREGARIOUSNESS much lower than usual for entire race? Will it help?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2013, 03:22:04 pm »

Sure, I think it would affect this. But like I said, I dont see this as a problem. Warlocks simply treat their undead servants like pets. :)

And I like how the Pantheon turned out:
Gheyr Meqdes Cursedwicked the Sin of Fates is a deity of The Evil of Incests.  Gheyr Meqdes most often takes the form of a female witch and  is associated with murder. 

Alenfayat the Ashen Smuts is a deity of The Evil of Incests.  Alenfayat most often takes the form of a skeleton and  is associated with disease. 

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2013, 08:09:10 pm »

Mh... hit a bit of a problem. Warlocks cant butcher things they killed.

Warlocks goes to collect corpse. Warlocks sees corpse he should butcher, and thinks to himself: "This corpse. Its a fine corpse. It would make a fine undead. Lets animate it." and then animates it. 'Cancel butcher creature: job item lost'.  ???

Makes it a bit difficult to get to souls, when you need to butcher things first to get it.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2013, 08:14:01 pm »

Might need to make some sort of Butchery Skeleton to do the job for them, because warlocks are just too impulsive :P.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2013, 08:18:38 pm »

Well, yeah, the warlocks cant learn butcher skill, so it should be skeletons doing the work. But that doesnt help if the warlock either killed the creatures (and animates it instantly), or even comes within viewrange.

I guess I have to take away their "raise corpse" interaction and it add to some workshop. This way players can chose manually if they want undeads or not. The way it is now, about everyone shambles along happily ever after. On a related note, embarking on 4 tombs with over 100 undeads is a good way to have some early defenses. They even run after all the wildlife and beat it to pulp. :)

Some random ideas I noted down:
  • Soul Workshop => make soul wisps from souls, act as scouts. make enemies fall asleep. can be charged into suicide bombers.
  • Changeling Workshop => transform changelings into magmalings, waterlings, berstlings...
  • Warpstone Stuff => as always, some random mutations. Maybe even teach basic spells to skeletons.
  • Distill blood => some kind of blood wine creating workshop. bloodwine is the favourite drink of warlocks.
  • Arcane Archeologist => sifts through relics, fossils and treasures. identifies magic items in them.
  • Emissary Quarters => embassy. call caravans and sieges.
  • Necromancer Quarters => make new skeleton civ members
  • Fountain of Blood => blood of armok-based blood producer. (maybe magma?)
  • Fountain of Tears => tear of armok-based soul producer. (maybe water?)
  • Fountain of Bones => bone of armok-based bone producer.
  • Libraries => Warlock skill learning. Possibly spells/interactions as well.
  • Training for Skeletons => Like Libraries, but only way to train skills. A basic and cheap workshop.
  • Armory => Upgrades armors with spikes for attacks using interactions with itemsyndrome.
  • Ebonglass and the other war-glass should play a role => Currently only orcs make use of it.
  • A prison cell maybe? Dungeon. => Works like the Prison in dwarf mode.
  • A learn-spell workshop. => warlocks can maybe caste 1-2 initial spells, rest is learned.
  • Vampire and Werebeast making. => fits the theme. :)
  • Demon summoning. => who would have thought. ;)
  • tentacle monster that spams creep => like zerg creep tumor. :)
  • bone monster that regularily explodes into bones => to harvest bones.
  • Manually controlled necromancy - 1x1 tile AoE workshop, resurrects undeads around it.
  • Animated Weapon Forge. Arcane Forge. Enchanter (?)
  • Stitching runes on clothing. Robe + Thread = Robe with runes on it. Magical effects with itemsyndrome.

The soul wisp idea is from Boltguns Succubis mod. With my new soul system, Warlocks could easily resurrect the soul as a soul wisp creature. You can scatter them around the map to detect ambushes. They die easily, but when they die they make everyone around them fall asleep, buying more time to prepare for the ambush. :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:22:43 pm by Meph »

udsuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2013, 04:24:14 am »

Nah. Keep the undead raising reaction. If we want to prevent that from happening... we merely need to deactivate hauling jobs for the 'locks.

Also have a corpse stockpile safely away from our evil wizard hangout.

Solves all the problems rather handily, I think.

Or we could just have a bunch of undead being born of warlock activity to shore up our defenses. Either/or.

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2013, 04:29:12 am »

I think Wisps that make enemies fall asleep could be problematic because creatures with [NOSTUN] won't wake up (I have not testet this, but it is in the wiki)
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Creature_token#NOSTUN

[edit] nevermind
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:41:15 am by somebears »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2013, 04:31:12 am »

I think Wisps that make enemies fall asleep could be problematic because creatures with [NOSTUN] won't wake up (I have not testet this, but it is in the wiki)
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Creature_token#NOSTUN
I know that this is true for civ-members, I dont know if thats happens to random creatures and invaders as well. Most nostun creatures are some kind of magical or mechanical uber-beast anyway, and wont be affected by a wisp. Titans, Megabeasts, Demons, that kind of stuff.

AshFire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2013, 12:50:09 pm »

Is it possible to let Warlocks raise dead "manually" only in combat?
Like, Warlocks prefer to make lovely skeletons in the workshop without rush and risk, but when they need to protect themselves, they have no choice but to quickly summon several zombies (they may even be common zombies, not civ members).

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2013, 02:31:29 pm »

• Manually controlled necromancy - 1x1 tile AoE workshop, resurrects undeads around it.

How about, instead of a 1x1 workshop, creating an immobile monolith-like creature that animates the dead in a radius around it? It could be created in a workshop and hauled around as needed. Most importantly, invaders can also destroy it without having BUILDINGDESTROYER.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2013, 04:44:16 pm »

How about, instead of a 1x1 workshop, creating an immobile monolith-like creature that animates the dead in a radius around it? It could be created in a workshop and hauled around as needed. Most importantly, invaders can also destroy it without having BUILDINGDESTROYER.
Thats another option, yes. :) Maybe I can add both. I do like the idea of a "necromantic circle", and a Warlock does a ritual to raise all the corpses nearby, but an automated AoE creature is easier for people that want to raise all the corpses. Just need a good concept for it. What kind of creature would you make it?

Some "Zombie Master", or a "Dark Crystal" type?...

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2013, 04:54:21 pm »

How about a warlock head (alive, not dead!)?
Warlock sacrifices all his normal powers (and his body) to gain the ultimate power of resurrecting the dead. That he has to be carried around afterwards to use them just adds some irony, but you wanted an immobile creature anyway.
And you have to sacrifice a warlock for it. So it is nothing cheap. But power rarely comes cheap.
And if the head dies, it just leaves a normal warlock skull+soul.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 110