Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 169792 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [WARLOCK] - Collecting Ideas - A lot of screenshots atm
« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2013, 04:54:07 pm »

You will still have that, but with spells. All the libraries have to be good for something. ;) All warlocks can learn spells that makes them stronger in combat. I probably do 90-120 spells in the end.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 01, 2014, 12:07:14 am »

Will we be able to convert ghoul to skeleton (may be by Frankenstinied method) and vice versa.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #167 on: January 01, 2014, 12:13:37 am »

ghoul to skeleton: Maybe. Might mess up graphics a tiny bit. skeleton to ghoul: no.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Collecting Ideas
« Reply #168 on: January 01, 2014, 07:24:03 pm »

I wont be doing slaves. Torture chamber, yeah. Thralls, maybe. (Probably ;) ) But slaves, no. Makes no sense for Warlocks that control the undead to have unrelyable meatbags running around that must be guarded, fed and watered. Undead are more efficient. Besides, drow and goblins use slaves a lot.
On torture, how depraved do you want the Warlocks to be? Many people have suggested torture for information, but I think they can do better: torture for fun.
Anyway, torture can be accomplished in several different methods. The first, easiest way is to just have slaves as items. That way they can be moved to chambers, tortured, etc (and maybe nearby warlocks nearby can gain happy thoughts during torture if they are particularly sadistic) with no issues. The other is to have them as pets, like plump helmet men, complete with feeding,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and other mechanics. This also means that (if they can operate workshops) they can get torture syndromes or from an item syndrome helmet if they can't. Dunno how Warlocks would gain happy thoughts from that though. Or the warlocks could even do the torture themselves via interactions, which I can easily see them getting happy thoughts from. The pain helmets could bestow an interaction giving happy thoughts to nearby warlocks as well.
Well, that's probably the two main methods outlined. Yes, I'm a bit sick, but it came to me as possibly a really important part of their culture which nobody had looked at yet. It depends on if you can bestow custom happy/sad thoughts really, and how sick you want the warlocks to be.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Dev Log.
« Reply #169 on: January 01, 2014, 07:56:33 pm »

I like the idea Octobomb.  Could it be possible to add a reaction to the butcher that accomplishes this?  Butchering is pretty much instant at the moment.  Perhaps a reaction that butchers a creature but takes a while to run and provides a fortress wide/area of influence speed/work boost to the skeleton workers?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #170 on: January 01, 2014, 08:02:59 pm »

I wont be doing slaves. Torture chamber, yeah. Thralls, maybe. (Probably ;) ) But slaves, no. Makes no sense for Warlocks that control the undead to have unrelyable meatbags running around that must be guarded, fed and watered. Undead are more efficient. Besides, drow and goblins use slaves a lot.
On torture, how depraved do you want the Warlocks to be? Many people have suggested torture for information, but I think they can do better: torture for fun.
Anyway, torture can be accomplished in several different methods. The first, easiest way is to just have slaves as items. That way they can be moved to chambers, tortured, etc (and maybe nearby warlocks nearby can gain happy thoughts during torture if they are particularly sadistic) with no issues. The other is to have them as pets, like plump helmet men, complete with feeding,
and other mechanics. This also means that (if they can operate workshops) they can get torture syndromes or from an item syndrome helmet if they can't. Dunno how Warlocks would gain happy thoughts from that though. Or the warlocks could even do the torture themselves via interactions, which I can easily see them getting happy thoughts from. The pain helmets could bestow an interaction giving happy thoughts to nearby warlocks as well.
Well, that's probably the two main methods outlined. Yes, I'm a bit sick, but it came to me as possibly a really important part of their culture which nobody had looked at yet. It depends on if you can bestow custom happy/sad thoughts really, and how sick you want the warlocks to be.
Its funny how you answer on my quote that says: "I wont do slaves", and then continue to write an entire paragraph about how to torture slaves. ^^

I have 2 things planned for the torture chamber at the moment:

1. Bring a captured invader in a cage nearby. Turn him into a ghoul.
2. Bring a warlock into the torture chamber. Torture him, which injures him and makes him very slow for a while, but gives a speed boost to all other warlocks in the fort.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 01, 2014, 08:09:19 pm »

I don't think it's possible to make a thought occur through a reaction. It isn't possible to create new thoughts either, you only have the thoughts that are hard-coded into the game.

Also, reactions cannot be added to the butcher workshop. The only valid vanilla workshops are the kiln, smelter, tanner, kitchen, quern, millstone, still, and craftsdwarf's workshops, as well as any custom buildings you create.

Plus, I'd rather see a torture chamber be it's own building anyways. Would you torture some dirty mook with the same tools you use to cook your meals with?

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 01, 2014, 08:12:30 pm »

I like the idea Octobomb.  Could it be possible to add a reaction to the butcher that accomplishes this?  Butchering is pretty much instant at the moment.  Perhaps a reaction that butchers a creature but takes a while to run and provides a fortress wide/area of influence speed/work boost to the skeleton workers?
I thought people might find this a bit sick, but then I remembered: this is Dwarf Fortress.

With regards to your suggestion, I have no idea how to change the time it takes for a reaction to take place. But I'm pretty sure I know a workaround: Make the reaction also create a rock which evaporates and bestows a syndrome which bestows an interaction which allows the warlock to make everyone work faster for a limited time. Not sure where it would fit in, but I could see it being useful to the races which depend on slaves - work faster or I'll kill you too.

Meph: By slaves, I mean torture-victims-to-be prisoners. But since you weren't planning on it anyway, don't worry.
Blackflyme: Drat. I was actually looking at df hack, but my Google fu is weak and my keywords vague. I was gonna suggest a separate workshop.
Sig

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #173 on: January 01, 2014, 08:15:17 pm »

I am not averse to torture. Just slaves, because they dont fit the race. I can see torturing captured invaders or kidnapped persons for information, but how do I pack that into a workshop? Informations and positive thoughts are not quite items that I could generate with a reaction.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #174 on: January 01, 2014, 08:23:05 pm »

Dev Log - Day 1

Today I wrapped up the fundraiser things, as can be seen here. Since it was more then enough, the warlockery can begin.

I did do some tests on Rendermax for R4 to create illumination for Warlock Dungeons. So far not finished.

I did work on the creature and entity files, wrestling with crashes that occur when adding werebeasts as civ members. I wrote the ghouls and vampires into the civ, and made graphics for them. I also finished the graphics for the civ and wrote a little manual entry. And made the basic template for the manual.

I made a thread in which I will post useful modding knowledge as well as problems that occur when doing undeads, here. I hope that it both leads to more results, because more modders have a look, as well as teaching others how to do undeads as a playable civ.

Now the Graphics:

This is the civ graphic file. Skeletons are most workers and military. Ghouls are fishers and rangers, as well as whip-soldiers. Warlocks are a few selected labors, as well as pike-soldiers, a skill I will use for their magic weapons. All this results in 3 different graphics for 3 individual castes. The only issue that can possibly arise is when a foreign invader is converted into a ghoul, because he will retain his profession and might have a wrong sprite, until the ghoul finishes learning his ghoul-professions.

Here is the manual entry about your new civ-members:

The 'Experimants' typo has been fixed.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 08:25:54 pm by Meph »

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Dev Log - Day 1
« Reply #175 on: January 01, 2014, 08:31:29 pm »

Hey, nice log there!
I am not averse to torture. Just slaves, because they dont fit the race. I can see torturing captured invaders or kidnapped persons for information, but how do I pack that into a workshop? Informations and positive thoughts are not quite items that I could generate with a reaction.
Yeah, I worded the whole slave thing wrong. They are essentially useless, don't use em for labour, just hurt em and kill em types. If there is no way to generate happy thoughts via df hack (I thought there might have been but my Google fu is weak and my terms vague) or at least happiness modifiers, fun is useless. I have no idea how info might work, I'm afraid.
But warlocks could get benefits out of this - different tortures might increase different attributes as the warlocks revel in the pain, some even providing bonuses like no pain, or no fear (spiked drinks problem: solved!) The gas emitted by the reaction could provide an interaction (short range) which allows it to give an AoE effect in some cases perhaps.
The other option is to make torture high value furniture, so you can place it in your dining hall and hey get happy thoughts from it.
Also: I am so putting the workshop bonuses in my mod. I'll probably end up making a masterwork version anyway, so feel free to use the ideas.
Sig

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #176 on: January 01, 2014, 08:46:17 pm »

Workshop bonuses?

You cant make new furniture. Only workshops or furnaces. Warlocks already have NOFEAR, otherwise they would run away from all the undead all the time. ;) Sorry to sound so negative, like I said: I dont mind the idea, I even plan to do a "kidnap from village" raiding/expedition system, but I dont know what to use these prisoners for, except ghouls or materials.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 01, 2014, 09:01:57 pm »

S'alright. A mixture of total lack of comprehension of anything and a good memory for everything means I'm pretty much just throwing out ideas here. I remembered the raids though. My creative process basically consists of everything I know and everything I can think of out there and refining tem on the fly. You're helping me do that.

Anyway, by workshop bonuses I mean prisoner goes in, tortured prisoner comes out + stone, which evaporates and gives the warlock operator a bonus in the form of a syndrome which bestows useful tags or attributes (I used no fear as an example) as the warlocks enjoy the captive's suffering. If it is AoE, an interaction could also bestow the same effect on nearby warlocks.
Sacrifice could also feature much lover lasting and more powerful benifits. If you like, I could knock up a couple raws for you (not now though) to better illustrate the effects.
Sig

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #178 on: January 01, 2014, 09:17:48 pm »

So in the end:
Take dwarven tavern.
Replace the word taven with torture chamber.
Add prisoner as reagent.
Replace music with torture.
Replace instruments with "Instruments of torture"
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:19:20 pm by Meph »

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 01, 2014, 09:25:01 pm »

... Looks like it. Damn. Missed that. I thought I was on to something there.
Well, you can balance it out by making warlock ones much more powerful, but of course cuneiform prisoners.
Damn! I thought I had something there.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 110