Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 169456 times)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Dev Log - Day 9 - Alpha V0.1 Download
« Reply #360 on: January 09, 2014, 08:05:58 pm »

What would be interesting is if we could ever build things that are 3 dimensional and standing in the middle of an area regardless of the ground under it (building stuff in the air). Making a merperson civilization could be possible then.

It is possible to attach buildings to the sky... :D (but afaik MDF uses an open sky plugin and has no sky ceiling, but not sure)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 09, 2014, 08:36:54 pm »

Getting ready to embark and wondered if anybody had any tips what to train my skeletons in. Currently have four of them, two ghouls and a warlock. :D

Maximize Engraving on at least two of them. You need either a Harbinger or a Fleshmonger to start hunting, and both of those are hard to keep happy without giant, fully-engraved everything. (The Harbinger more so.)

You'll want to start hunting as early as possible in part because ghouls are carnivorous and also because every individal bone stack/body part/corpse can be animated into a "Restless Walker", that is an entire 'opposed to life' humanoid that can be butchered again for more meat. (EDIT: They aren't livestock though, so you'll have to arrange for the walkers to die in battle.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:43:33 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 09, 2014, 08:40:05 pm »

Well I was planning on having one hunt and the other fish but I guess it might be better to have both hunt? What about farming? Although since they aren't alcohol dependent I suppose that's not necessary.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 09, 2014, 08:45:52 pm »

Bloodwine. Warlocks have a special building that converts meat into blood and blood into bloodwine. Which supposedly also sates a vampires dark thirst. (Though I haven't gotten enough vampires to see that in action yet.)

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 09, 2014, 09:02:07 pm »

Okay so no on the farming too. I'm thinking of giving my skeletons mining/engraving, crafts/engraving, butchery/tanning but still working on the fourth's skills.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #365 on: January 09, 2014, 09:16:36 pm »

You can farm blood using blood berries if you're on a tundra.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 09, 2014, 09:24:57 pm »

The tower is in a warm forest biome. Also the first time I went to embark I had the same setup but with a vampire instead of a warlock. Kind of sad I didn't use that one. :<
-------
Decided to go with hunting on my ghouls and mining/engraving, mason/engraving, lumberjack/woodworker and butcher/tanner for the skeletons. Still trying to decide whether to give the warlock trading skills or medical ones although the former might be a bit moot with how easy it is to apparently bring them back and create new ghouls/skeletons. Maybe I'll make him do chemistry and alchemy instead.
-------
Uh, about hunting ghouls. Are they not supposed to have access to any ranged weapons? All they're able to learn are melee weapon skills while skeletons are able to learn bows?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:17:22 am by zlurker »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 09, 2014, 09:32:56 pm »

What would be interesting is if we could ever build things that are 3 dimensional and standing in the middle of an area regardless of the ground under it (building stuff in the air). Making a merperson civilization could be possible then.

It is possible to attach buildings to the sky... :D (but afaik MDF uses an open sky plugin and has no sky ceiling, but not sure)

Already can be done by turning caveins off in the init (or was it d_init?) file. As for the merpeople, though, pathing would still be completely broken, and you'd have to drain all water from an area to build things or produce a good at a workshop since neither of those can happen underwater so far as I know.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #368 on: January 09, 2014, 11:35:10 pm »

Already can be done by turning caveins off in the init (or was it d_init?) file. As for the merpeople, though, pathing would still be completely broken, and you'd have to drain all water from an area to build things or produce a good at a workshop since neither of those can happen underwater so far as I know.

That's my point. It's a pity because if you could put in some kind of tag "aquatic" or "free floating" you could have avian and aquatic races. Even if pathing was just fucking weird.

Why is flight pathing weird btw?

edit: Also, for the brood mothers. What if the brood mother is some kind of item more than a creature? You build a particular building with it for producing various monsterous and varied pets based upon the items you feed into it. Basically, we have all these various kinds of dusts for experiments right? So we need some place to use them!

Obviously this should go into horrifying experiments, the production of vile poisons and all kinds of syndroms. Enchantments. Strange golems. Evil beasts that none should have the capacity for imaginging let alone unleashing upon the world!

See what I'm getting at? We have all these experimental materials... so why don't we USE them for shit? A massive variety of pets, creatures, golems, spells, enchantments, syndrom causing substances, and other things. All of them researched in the libraries, produced from crazy combinations of the various dusts and reagents created by the grinders, and fueled by souls.

edit2: Basically. To make up for a faction that will basically be constantly under siege, and without a focus on actually keeping it's citizens alive (after all, you just want a basic breeding population of Ghouls at the end of the day, or a constant stream of souls), they'd instead be focused on research and discovering more and more perverse ways of ending lives and making their foes miserable and inflicting more horrors upon the world. Basically. We should come up with every 3 dust combination possible, make it into a list. and figure out if that's used for producing a new minion. A new pet. A new spell. A new set of enchantments. Or a vile kind of poison.

edit3: Also, depending on how many different things are made, and the percentage chances of research inside of the libraries. Well, each fortress will play radically differently than the others. Some might have fast hordes of war beasts and monstrosities. Another might go in for spell slinging in a big way. Yet another will coat all of it's weapons in terrible syndroms. Yet another will have complicated enchantments that turn foes against one another. And so on and so forth.

edit4: I'd imagine that researching buildings would be a fairly high percentage chance of finding them. So you might have a 10% chance of finding any particular building. But only a 3% chance of any one particular spell, enchantment, poison, etc.

edit5: Alternatively (and no idea if this works). You have the research break it down as follows:
1) x% of things we want to be fairly common and all warlocks to have, y% of things that we want to be broken up and be ludicrously hard to get 100% of.
2) once you've researched something, it doesn't appear in the research libraries anymore. That way percentages will change over time and players will no longer have to worry about getting the same thing over and over.

edit6: Just realized, you probably can't add new reactions to already researched workshops from more research. but perhaps lots and lots of 1x1 or 1x2 workshops? That or what is produced by the research is a 'thesis' that is part of the making process.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:46:54 am by shadowclasper »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 10, 2014, 02:06:35 am »

Are ghouls and skeletons supposed to get married to warlocks? Also, does marrying their minions mean what I think it does, that those particular couples can't have children?

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #370 on: January 10, 2014, 02:16:36 am »

Are ghouls and skeletons supposed to get married to warlocks? Also, does marrying their minions mean what I think it does, that those particular couples can't have children?
Warlocks are depraved perverts.

This only makes sense to me.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 10, 2014, 02:22:33 am »

Seriously though if ghouls can't learn bow skills I'm kind of confused how they're supposed to be hunters since they kind of need ranged weapons. Which makes me confused why skeletons do learn bow skill.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #372 on: January 10, 2014, 02:39:24 am »

Seriously though if ghouls can't learn bow skills I'm kind of confused how they're supposed to be hunters since they kind of need ranged weapons. Which makes me confused why skeletons do learn bow skill.
I thought the ambusher skill could be used with melee or ranged attacks? Hunters without ammo will wrestle prey to the ground won't they? Seems very ghoulish to me.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 10, 2014, 02:49:07 am »

I thought hunters only used ranged weapons though I don't think I'd want my ghouls fighting hand-to-hand with wildlife.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #374 on: January 10, 2014, 02:56:17 am »

I thought hunters only used ranged weapons though I don't think I'd want my ghouls fighting hand-to-hand with wildlife.
and yet it would be fairly fitting would it not? Especially if they could be made to hunt wild undead (since ghouls traditionally are corpse eaters).

edit: Alternatively. They should get blow darts, not crossbows perhaps? You pair them up with paralysis causing syndrom poisons and such in order to get them hunting properly. Send them out in hunting packs. A ghoul with a blow gun, paired with hunting animals to take down the paralyzed wild life.

edit2: Best of all would be to set up a place sitting on the edge of an evil biom. Zombies wander down into say, a savage biom, and they kill the wildlife. Your skeletons go and collect the meat by having 'collect refuse outside' turned on, that way you end up with plenty of corpses to work with.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:59:14 am by shadowclasper »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 110