Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 169795 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [WARLOCK] - Dev Log - Day 13 - V0.2 - Vampires, Werebeasts and Thralls.
« Reply #510 on: January 14, 2014, 11:25:59 am »

:(

Why does the game decide that the arriving ghoul, who cant even learn shearing and has 0 xp in it, but has 7 skill points as butcher, is a shearer? Seriously.  >:(
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 14, 2014, 11:34:31 am »

He shears the life out of the living.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #512 on: January 14, 2014, 11:35:33 am »

But thats really bad. Because his official profession is a shearer, and shearers look like skeletons. But that guy is a ghoul
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 14, 2014, 12:24:23 pm »

Will assigning them a proper job fix that. Cause it's no big deal, we only get 2 migrant wave any way.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #514 on: January 14, 2014, 12:28:14 pm »

Maybe. It seems that genderless creatures count as female...  :o The male warlocks marry genderless skeletons and ghouls, and even if they dont have kids, I am not sure if the worldgen knows that. If the warlock civ doesnt die out in world, and we got more migrants.

I was in autumn. I had about 65 kills and 32 civ members running around. Then it crashed. Last entry in the gamelog was "A goblin caravan from Song Ngumost has arrived.".  :-\

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 14, 2014, 01:00:35 pm »

I don't have the save anymore, (ver. 0.1) but I recall having a vampire lady married to a ghoul. That's actually what prompted my first report of the phenomena.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #516 on: January 14, 2014, 01:55:31 pm »

How do you keep warlocks from dieing out when they have no reproduction?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #517 on: January 14, 2014, 01:57:50 pm »

:'(

Something is crashing the worldgen 100% of the time. I have to revert back to Alpha V.02. From Day 10.  :(

I will try to add parts I wrote step by step, to find out whats causing it. I tried since 2 hours, but I have not clue what it is yet. I even used an older save that certainly worked (obviously, because otherwise there wouldnt be a save folder), but even these raws crash 100% of the time. I am mildly confused.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #518 on: January 14, 2014, 01:58:56 pm »

shadowclasper: I dont. Thats the point, they should die out. I want a 100% death rate on Warlock civs, at least that would be the best possible outcome.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #519 on: January 14, 2014, 02:21:09 pm »

But I thought that you couldn't start fortresses for civilizations that have died out? You could make a warlock adventurer, but not a fortress?

Also, I think it's a bit of a shame isn't it? There'd be no warlock fortresses at all? no rivals, no settlements, no competitors?

What would be better is making it so that there's a warlock civ for every settlement produced by them in world gen. (I don't know if this is possible. I only vaguely recollect that occasionally you can have multiple dwarve civs to choose from during embarkment)

edit: Observation: Thralls are friendly to your civ but aren't controlled by it right? So they should reveal undiscovered cavern sections? So you can hurl them into the underworld and let them explore for you randomly? If not, then we need a pet animal that will do that like cats do for dwarves.

edit2: I don't suppose there is some way to edit the raws and visual data in order to take caste into account as well is there? I doubt there is otherwise somebody would have done it by now, but I'm just curious about where in the code you define what position on a graphic's set sheet that a unit takes it's appearance from? Is it hardcoded or is it manual? I only inquire because I remember very odd tilesheets or animals and such that don't look at all like the civ tile sheets.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:47:12 pm by shadowclasper »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 14, 2014, 02:28:49 pm »

:'(

Something is crashing the worldgen 100% of the time. I have to revert back to Alpha V.02. From Day 10.  :(

I will try to add parts I wrote step by step, to find out whats causing it. I tried since 2 hours, but I have not clue what it is yet. I even used an older save that certainly worked (obviously, because otherwise there wouldnt be a save folder), but even these raws crash 100% of the time. I am mildly confused.
It might not be something you added. Some time ago my own mod was facing worldgen crashes. The reason turned out to be minotaurs, a vanilla DF creature. I recommend disabling all creature files except, say, dwarves, and genning a world. If there is a crash, then it's something else. If there isn't, go enabling files (in batches, maybe?) and testing. Until you narrow it down to a single file. Yeah, it's not very fun.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #521 on: January 14, 2014, 02:34:27 pm »

shadowclasper, at some point you really have to learn some background knowledge. ^^ (well, actually, you do that by asking questions, so nothing wrong with you asking here^^)

If your civ is dead, you can still embark and build a fort, and you get 2 migrant waves. Its the only way to stop migration. And no civ has rivals, because you can never be at war with your own civ. Thralls are undead, and therefore friendly to my creatures, not the civ itself. They wont reveal anything, otherwise the undeads in curious underground structures would reveal things. They also cant be told to walk into the caverns. they act like meandering creatures.

graphics: creatures can have caste specific colors, but not sprites. creatures have single sprites for adults, kids and undeads. Entity, the playable races, have sprites linked to their profession and noble position. The can only use one graphics file.

@Deathsword: Yep, I know. I think every modder knows how much fun that is.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 14, 2014, 02:50:27 pm »

If your civ is dead, you can still embark and build a fort, and you get 2 migrant waves. Its the only way to stop migration. And no civ has rivals, because you can never be at war with your own civ. Thralls are undead, and therefore friendly to my creatures, not the civ itself. They wont reveal anything, otherwise the undeads in curious underground structures would reveal things. They also cant be told to walk into the caverns. they act like meandering creatures.
I wonder what will happend with this on the next version, since you'll be theoretically able to revive the civilization.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #523 on: January 14, 2014, 02:51:13 pm »

Gotcha. It's been a long time since I've played and my DF capable computer is still down, so I'm still catching up on a lot of stuff. I can tell people still how to do the most basic functions of the game, but when it comes to esoterica like what does and doesn't allow for fortresses to be built, I'm a little as sea.Being in here I've learned more about modding than ever before, so thank you for your patience with me.

--this was from my previous post before you replied, sorry--
Also, ideas for the two military leaders for the ghouls and skeletons. The Skeleton is called a Crypt Lord right? Shouldn't a Ghoul be called a Grave Lord? Or maybe Grave Master? After all, if bones go in crypts, then corpses go in graves (and ghouls feed on corpses).

Is there any way to get Ghouls to feed on rotting flesh without getting unhappy thoughts from it? Or is that already done?

Also, been trying to think of ways to get units to be hit with a skill buff syndrome from something without it spreading further than you might want.

Just to be clear, you CANNOT put a caste cap on a skill level right? Like have it set up so that when a member of a caste reaches X skill level, then their ability to learn that skill will default to 0% learn rate?

Cause if you could do that, then you could set it up so that skeletons and such could learn skill levels up to a CERTAIN level dependent upon their specific caste, and no further?

Another neat idea would be more skeleton material castes depending on where you want to cap their development (assuming the above is even remotely possible). Things beyond Dreadnaught in other magical metals. Adamantine or Orichalcum would be a possibility for example.

Alternatively... okay... just bear with me here... but is it possible to have syndromes that are non infective, are recorded on their character stats, and would raise their skill level to a certain degree in a thing?

Cause, just bear with me here. What if you could give skeletons an 'inscription' syndrome? The idea is that you're recording abilities and magical programming into their bones right? So you have to give them a syndrom to do it? It wouldn't ever fade. It'd be cured if a new one was put in it's place. And the better the type of syndrom, the better off it would be.

So, just talking off the top of my head here. You take a tin bar, and you send the skeleton off to the boneshaper or inscriptionist or whatever, and the skeleton comes back with a new syndrome. "Tin Smith's Inscription". This lets the Skeleton go from No Skill in the thing, to Novice Skill in it.

It could also start off with Blood or Bone Inscription for the very basic level. Then work up to better ones over time?

Depending on how syndromes work on this (and I don't know so please, bear with me here if I'm wrong), you might not need to even 'cure' the old syndrome before placing a new one. Instead each layer would build on the other.

It depends on if syndromes would stack or not. For example, if syndromes go "give +X to skill" then you'd need to cure the previous inscription syndrome before applying the new one. Otherwise they'd stack oddly (so a Bone inscription gives +1 skill, bringing someone up to dabbling if they have it. A Tin inscription gives +2, bringing them up to novice if they have it. Under this system, if they had both, they'd get +3 total, or Adequate skill).

Now, if syndromes can instead give a FLAT RATE to their ability. EG: The syndrome says "This person now has X skill", then you wouldn't need to erase previous syndromes. Rather, you'd just have them at that skill. So if somebody has Bone (this person is now dabbling skill) and tin (this person is now novice skill), then the system would either default to whichever was applied last, or whichever gives the largest buff right? (assuming it functions this way at all)

Depending on how much of a skill buff you'd want each level of the syndrome to apply, you'd need as many as 16 different materials for the production of these 'inscriptions'. Or you could have them jump 2 levels and only need 8 materials.

If I'm recalling correctly about castes and transformations, then changing a skeleton from one state to another would result in these syndromes, and thus their skill buffs, being lost entirely. Which would only make sense since you'd be erasing the inscriptions as you replace the bones of the skeleton with new materials.

I have no idea how much of this is possible, but maybe this will help put you on a path towards getting a similar system implemented?

edit: Another method rather than removing them. Is just have each material of syndrome give a +1 to the relevant skill, and not stack with the same material syndrome (which I think is built in. Can't catch the same sickness over and over right?) So simple expense of each material will keep skill levels rising at a steady rate?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:03:46 pm by shadowclasper »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #524 on: January 14, 2014, 03:56:10 pm »

Syndromes work way different, at least in combination with scripts. The syndrome can be anything, it doesnt matter, even do nothing, its just used to activate a dfhack script. I can level them up to legendary in any skill, one skill, train to a skill cap, add 5 skills on each labor, doesnt matter. All possible. Its already done in MDF dwarf mode. The combat-buff from butchering a megabeast (you get 10 points in ALL combat skills for that), and the library (which sets skills directly to a set level), and the animal training (which adds +1 skill for each time the reaction is done).

;)

Crash seems to be fixed. I will upload a file later, see if it is ok for other people. :)
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 110